PDA

View Full Version : Help! Why does my Salamence suck?

Azrael
11th May 2003, 03:41 PM
I caught what I though was a good Bagon, trained him against wismers, numels and the like to improve stats until i got an effort ribbon, leveled up with exp share to lv 48 and then used two rare candies to get him to a Sassy lv 50 Salamence with these stats:

HP 184
Attack: 163
Defence 102
Special Attack 150
Special Defence 112
Speed 106

But it seems the stats should be

HP 186/201
Att 171/186
Def 116/131
SA 146/161
SD 116/131
SP 136/151

Why are his stats so poor :confused:

Tallest_Los
11th May 2003, 03:45 PM
Man, that really sucks! And you raised it all the way to level 50... I dunno what to tell ya!

tronica
11th May 2003, 03:45 PM
You gave it an effort ribbon, and that lowers all of a pokemon's stats.

srg. syphillis
11th May 2003, 03:47 PM
those stats your salamence 'should' have will have come from on which has been trained from lv5, your forgeting that your's has only been a salamence for one level, don't worry your stats will level out by the time you hit lv100

Azrael
11th May 2003, 03:48 PM
What? I thought that effort ribbons just told you that the pokemon earned maximum EPs?

Seta
11th May 2003, 03:48 PM
did you catch it or hatch it? That might be the reason. Hatched pokemon are stronger than caught pokemon.

Azrael
11th May 2003, 03:56 PM
How do hatched Pokemon get better stats? And shouldnt all mine fall between the 'trained' values given by the pokedex anyway?

Seta
11th May 2003, 03:59 PM
You get hatched pokemon at level 5 while other you might get at level 20, 30..etc. The pokemon will be stronger if you train it from level 5 than lets say level 30.

Azrael
11th May 2003, 04:05 PM
How can a pokemon trained from lv 5 be stronger? He has max EVs already, so he should be the same as one trained from lv 5 with EVs assigned the same way.

srg. syphillis
11th May 2003, 05:02 PM
bagon evolves to shelgon and then shelgon evolves to salamence, you don't start off with salamence at level 5 do you? (if you did then you would no doubt have stats in the range of what you are comparing against)so your not going to have excellent stats no matter what your ev's are if you've only had that salamence for one level. read some of the guides from gamefaq's they explain the situation better.

srg. syphillis
11th May 2003, 05:04 PM
sorry, just realised you weren't talking to me;o

:: One ::
11th May 2003, 06:08 PM
How can a pokemon trained from lv 5 be stronger? He has max EVs already, so he should be the same as one trained from lv 5 with EVs assigned the same way.

Because of IVs which are a value from 0-31. If your pokemon has an ATK IV of 0... it's HP stat will be at least 32 points lower than the same pokemon with an IV of 31. Hatching usually gives you higher IVs which is why breeding usually produces stronger stats than caught ones.

WingullTrainer
11th May 2003, 07:23 PM
I specifically bred a Bagon with Dragon rage, with the intent of using Him as my primary Pokemon- He started out really well, but As he evolved, I'm finding Dragon rage isn't cutting it the way it used to. I may have to come up with an alternate strategy.

Gligar_Man
11th May 2003, 08:04 PM
ok... basically the max stats in it is if you put 252 ev's into that stat... if thats what your going on IMO... you should have counted your ev's and done it correctly IMO for his intended purpose(s)... overall its not that bad... but then again you didnt state wich dex you got the data from... and have you done all your ev's so far... all 510, how did you distribute, and odds say you dont have max iv's... BTW you should state these things, all you said is you caught a bagon and trained it... :\

Dr Crocodile
11th May 2003, 08:49 PM
Ok the mis-information must end. (Except Gligar_man who's pretty much on the money) The reason your Salamence's stats don't match up is because those stats are probably MAX EV and MAX IV. Heck they could even be personality boosted. Hatched pokemon are not innately stronger than any caught pokemon. The IVs you get are mostly random. In GSC your defense and special IVs were influenced by your parents but now that the special IV has spilt I'm not sure how breeding IVs works now. Since you have an effort ribbon, the whole "raise them from an earlier level" thing is neagted. What made training from an earlier level better is that the pokemon would have acquired some EV while the newly caught one would not have. Check the dex you got those stats from and check if they have been modified by a personality and if they include max EV or IV. If they do, which is what I suspect, then don't worry because no real Salamence can match those stats with the effort cap. Also check which personality your Salamence has as that will affect its stats.

:: One ::
11th May 2003, 10:05 PM
Who's giving misinformation Doc?

Sassy Level 50 Salamence Minimum and Maximum Range Of Stats:

HP - 155 to 202
ATK - 140 to 187
DEF - 85 to 132
SPD - 94 to 136
SP. ATK - 115 to 162
SP. DEF - 93 to 145

So his stats ARE NOT poor.

I did not answer his originial question (why are his stats poor?) in my first post. I answered:

He said they both had Max EVs and wanted to know why would one be stronger than the other. And I told him that the only reason why one might be stronger than the other in terms of stats (besides the personality boost/hindrance) is the IVs. And am I wrong when I said that usually bred pokemon are stronger? I dont' think so. I tried it myself and bred pokemon DO tend to have better IVs whether you believe it or not. It could be a coincidence, but whatever.

And I chose to answer that question because it also, indireclty, answers his first one. I brought up the fact that his IVs could be extremely low and that could be the explanation for the seemingly low stats other than the EVs and Personality. I assumed that he already realized that he couldn't max out each stat in terms of EVs and that they would be at least 10% lower if they didn't recieve the personality boost. It was partly my mistake because I should have looked at the stat ranges he presented his salamence "could" have.

But in any event, try to refrain from sounding like a know it all and accusing poeple of giving misleading information. I don't like it when people try to make me look like a fool.

Azrael
12th May 2003, 07:41 AM
So should I stick with him or not? If not, what did I do wrong, and why is it that when he had high IVs for a lv 25 wild Bagon, its stats as a lv 50 Salamance are all so far short of max?

Azrael
12th May 2003, 07:58 AM
I think I found the problem.

Its the wrong one. I took another lv 25 Sassy Bagon and leveled him up 25 frikken levels.

How do I train this one right? I'm thinking attatch the macho brace and beat 50 Wismers in Verdanturf tunnel, then fight Numels for SA. What else should I do?

Azrael
12th May 2003, 10:31 AM
Ok, I Exp.Shared through the Elite 5 and used Rare candy to findthis new Salamence's lv 50 stats:

HP 171
Att 154
Def 99
SA 128
SD 102
SP 98

Most of it close to max IVs, except for speed, which is a hinderd stat anyway. Now I just need a moveset and and a good EP distribution.

WingullTrainer
12th May 2003, 10:44 AM
Actually, that's what I may end up doing with mine; the moves I bred into mine, Hydro pump, dragon rage, couldn't even get me thrugh Flannery's gym.

Azrael
12th May 2003, 11:33 AM
DragonRage only does fixed 40 Hp of damage, dont know why hydro wouldnt work, though it wouldnt get stab, and I dont like using Hydropumd because of the inacuracy.

WingullTrainer
12th May 2003, 11:52 AM
It's a 5pp move for starters; Torkoal is tough to take out, but when I couldn't even knock out the second Slugma with one shot, i knew I was wasting My time.