PDA

View Full Version : I'm discouraged as an aurthor. Is anyone even reading...?

SygmaXE
14th May 2003, 11:30 AM
Hi. Sygma here. You might know me rom games like Questions Only and "3 Word Story". Anyway, I'm writing a fiction called Wolf Eternal and I'm having fun doing it! I find writing to be more fun than playing video games! (I myself can't believe I said that!) The problem is that I read a few other fanfics on these (and other) forums and I notice that everyone's story have at least one fan, while I have none. I don't want to look like I'm whinning, but it does sometimes get to me that no one will read my fic, tell me my flaws or even tell me at least that they hate my story! I don't even get that much of a reply! Is it me? Is it because it's not a Poke'mon story? That can't be it, because I've read other non-Poke'mon fics that have many, many fans. I'm not expecting to get a parade of replies to my story after this. I just want to know one thing: Who is reading my story, if anyone? I just want to know whats wrong.

dratinihaunter13
14th May 2003, 12:39 PM
don't worry about whining, this really is a problem for some writers every once in a while on the boards. generally, especially around busy times like final exams and end of school year tests and stuff, people can't find time to read. And, if they are writing a fic they find even less time to read. So newer authors don't get the recognition they deserve because busy readers can't be bothered with checking out a paragraph of every story to see if they like it. They look for a popular one or a popular author, so they know it'll be good right off the bat (which isn't always the case btw).

it's not fair, but it really is all a lot of us can go. i haven't been able to keep steady track on a fic for a while now, with graduation yadda yadda, all that end of the year stuff. only skimming really.

in the summer i can guarantee you that readers will increase. summer's always the best time around here to get readers and new stories. i'd recommend maybe re-posting then, because i don't think it's cuz your fic is bad. I looked over Wolf Eternal and it's written very well. and you don't come off as a jerk to me, so it's not that.

what it also could be is how your fic is already really long, and people would rather pick up something that just got started so they can keep up with the updates.

it's awesome to hear ya like writing so much though. more than video games?! ya me too, except for maybe super smash bros. =)
and congrats on bringing a story that far. that's more than a lot of writers can say about their stories.

The Decapitated Mole
14th May 2003, 01:36 PM
Meh. It happens a lot, I'm used to it. My story's 2 years old and it's only had about 15-20 readers in it's entire history, if that. But don't give up! When I first posted my story here I got so discouraged [from lack of replies] that I discontinued it here, and lost the one or two readers that occasionally posted, and I had also lost the joy of writing, and that just sucks. So don't get too discouraged, someone will read your fic eventually. [And if that doesn't work, just repost it a bunch of times again and again until people have to read it!:P]

totodilelover
14th May 2003, 09:54 PM
I know how you feel but i also agree with dratini. I started in april and people read it alot and replied but as it's getting closer to the end of the year with school i've noticed less reader's. I think when scholl and exam's are over it will ge tbusy here again.

Darien Shields
16th May 2003, 01:59 PM
Join the Club. Mwahaha.
I feel for you, I really do, I havea string of discontinued stories because of a lack of replies. It helps to read around, and try and advertise in what way you can. I don't endorse posting in other fics to say read your fics (Because aside from anything else, I think it's against the rules), or adding people on AIM or MSN just to ask them to read your fic (I've got my eye on you, 2ra!), but what I suggest is making a big pretty advert in your sig (If you go down to the Fan Art forum and look around some nice folks might be able to draw yo a picture that you could convert to suit your needs), and then start posting alot. Uh, I mean, of course, when I post I'm not just doing it for the sig, that's an added bonus, but... You get the picture. Every post you make become s a wee advert. And have faith, their's sucha thing as silent readers ^_~

mistysakura
17th May 2003, 05:35 PM
What can I say? That makes the *insert number here* of us?
I agree with dratini, final exams and everything. I'm having some soon, I should be studying... but since I found a nice cause to post :D
The thing that really bugs me is that I know people are at least glancing at my fic (3 views so far for the current chapter:P ), but no one's replying. I'm starting to think that everyone wants a Pokemon fic, and if they're no getting one, they leave immediately. (I put the non-Pokemon sign in my intro.) Or else, they're just so uninterested after reading a couple of paragraphs that they can't be bothered to reply. or even worse, it's so bad that people don'twant to post positive criticism because there isn't any. *must stop whining now*
Anyway, it's only natural to feel upset sometimes.

totodilelover
19th May 2003, 06:41 PM
I had a change in thought. It's not due to exams i can tell everyone that. I feel (Im not trying to get all err or whine) that people here read certin fics becuase they like the person or story. I've seen people who write amazing storys that are long and full of detail or it looks like they did a lot and im not just talking about me. But thous people don't get the credit. I've seen someone write a short little thing and they got millions of replys and veiws. That hurts when you are intrested in little short things. People that want to write try hard and work hard and end up stopping. I know I started writing becuase my fmaily is falling a part, a friend of mine if dead, and my cuzins ill. Im not trying you all to fel bad me cause I know no one does and I don't want anyone to. Just think of people that try and some that don't and people think is great. Im not trying to be mean or whine or say anyhting I just wanted to speak my mind. Exams have nothing to do with it. I read every story here. I post for most of them. SOme times I can't cause I have things to do but ya....I just wanted to say what I needed to say. Im a writer im going to stay writing here wheater no one likes it or not or doesn't read it but every once inawhile its nice to reply to somes post. Like say goood job or you need work here or this could be fixed or make it more intresting.....Thanks for reading this.

Powarun
20th May 2003, 08:07 PM
Yeah some people read your fic, some don't post it, and some just are reading too many, like me. I am reading about five fics and creating my own, and at that I am losing it. Sorry for you all that I didn't read yours but it gets to confusing for a teenager that is trying to have a good life. Dang video games. I only have about four readers, one forced, and I am happy, just wished they caould insult my wrintin.

classy_cat18
20th May 2003, 08:09 PM
I agree with you there, Powerun. My time has been almost fully consumed by The Wind Waker. Dang Forbidden Woods!

Psi Yamaneko
21st May 2003, 01:18 AM
It happens to everyone. Heck, I myself have scarce few readers both here and on FF.Net. That you are enjoying it is what matters. Keep writing and the readers will come.

Darien Shields
21st May 2003, 02:10 AM
Ooh, yeah, games can do it too... I guess after a new pokemon game comes out we'll all get a bit busy too, but...

How could you get Stuck in the Wind Waker? I've completed it and it's phenominally easy. Not to say it's not good, or it doesn't consume time, but I sailed through it in a week or so. You're american right? The American version's easy! I made the mistake of buying and American import here, that's why mine's so easy.

classy_cat18
21st May 2003, 11:45 AM
Hey, just because it's easy for you doesn't mean that everyone else thinks it's a breeze! I'm relatively new to the Zelda series, okay? I tried playing different versions but I never got very far. Anyhoo, I'm not really stuck, I'm just having trouble backtracking to where I found the Big Key in the Forbidden Woods. I got killed while trying to get it and now I can't find my way back!

SygmaXE
21st May 2003, 08:11 PM
That's right. I'm not stopping my story due to the lack of replies. Some people are reading. I'm content being a starving artist if it means I'm enjoying myself.

Too bad I wont be able to write until Friday. I have finals to prepare for!!! :o

mistysakura
22nd May 2003, 02:27 AM
same here, I should be preparing for my exam on Tuesday, but I'm not. And a main reason I'm not really reading fics is thanks to the exams, so there. But the interest level counts, too. I guess diifferent people like different things; I've loved many fics with only one or two replies, but i've also hated some with 5 pages worth of replies.