PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on New Gamecube

classy_cat18
14th May 2003, 04:42 PM
I'm not good at posting links like the others, but I read on Nintendo.com and IGN.com that Nintendo's planning on launching the new console at the same time that Sony launches theirs. If they do that it means that the Gamecube will have a shorter lifespan than the Nintendo 64 did. Thoughts on this?

Kokomo
14th May 2003, 04:55 PM
The only reason that Sony's winning the console race is cause they had such a big lead over Nintendo. (Yea, and Microsoft but I hate them so I won't really talk about them.) If Nintendo wants to stand a chance next time than there going to have to release their next system when Sony does.

Sure it shortens life of GC, and I love my GC but were all going to have to live with it. :( Well in the time we have left theres going to be plenty of great games for GC; can't wait.:D

classy_cat18
14th May 2003, 05:10 PM
I wonder if it will backwards compatibility like the PS2 has. I love my Gamecube with all of my heart, but I'm just wondering.

Kokomo
14th May 2003, 05:14 PM
Being backwards compatible will definately be an awesome thing, and it'll help sell the next system. It will have a ton of games instead of just the launch titles. Another reason why PS2 has done so well is that at its release people could still play all their old games.

Ultarius
14th May 2003, 08:35 PM
When did Sony ever announce their next console? I read something on Gamespot from E3 about a portable thing Sony is releasing in Q4 2004, but nothing yet about PS3.

classy_cat18
14th May 2003, 08:53 PM
From what I've heard, the PS3 is coming out probably somewhere in late 2005 or 2006.

The Muffin Man
15th May 2003, 08:24 AM
...Sony dares step foot in the portable races? Nintendo has dominated it for so long they are a force that will EAT YOUR CHILDREN if you dare screw with the Gameboy.

classy_cat18
15th May 2003, 11:06 AM
I don't think it will last. Remember the Game Gear and the Sega Nomad? They faded pretty quickly. They were either battery vampires or just didn't measure up with the fun simplicity that was the Game Boy. Plus who would pay $300 for a portable system? I say at least wait until the next Playstation!

dienamight
15th May 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
...Sony dares step foot in the portable races? Nintendo has dominated it for so long they are a force that will EAT YOUR CHILDREN if you dare screw with the Gameboy.

Nintendo also dominated the home console market with the NES and SNES, what's your point? One critical mistake and they lost their grip. It could happen again, although it's very unlikely. Sony will still give them a run for their money regardless, if only because of the name recognition.

classy_cat18
15th May 2003, 11:34 AM
Actually, Sega gave Nintendo a run for their money in those days. And I still commend Nintendo for turning out good games despite the praise that the Playstation received when it first came out.

dienamight
15th May 2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by classy_cat18
Actually, Sega gave Nintendo a run for their money in those days. And I still commend Nintendo for turning out good games despite the praise that the Playstation received when it first came out.

Nintendo was still the one on top.

Cowboy_Bebop
18th May 2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Kokomo
Being backwards compatible will definately be an awesome thing, and it'll help sell the next system. It will have a ton of games instead of just the launch titles. Another reason why PS2 has done so well is that at its release people could still play all their old games.

:/

PS2 has done so well because it has so many good games. I doubt many people still play the old ones. Like when gambecube came out, were you itching to play all your N64 games? No, no one was.

PNT510
18th May 2003, 11:03 AM
Actually, a big reason a few of my friends got PS2 is because they could trade in their PS1 and still be able to play the old games, or because they could play PS1 games if they didn't have a PS1.

I belive if Nintendo is going to stand a chance in the next generation they are really going to have to start cattering(sp) to the people outside their Hardcore fanbase.

Cowboy_Bebop
18th May 2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by PNT510
Actually, a big reason a few of my friends got PS2 is because they could trade in their PS1 and still be able to play the old games, or because they could play PS1 games if they didn't have a PS1.

I belive if Nintendo is going to stand a chance in the next generation they are really going to have to start cattering(sp) to the people outside their Hardcore fanbase.

I don't think your friends said "Hey, you can play playstation games on a playstation 2. I'm going to buy it just for that! They probably got it more for the new games coming out, not for the old ones already made.

PNT510
18th May 2003, 01:58 PM
I didnt say it was their only reason, but it is a factor that decided into a few friends buying PS2.

Zeke
18th May 2003, 02:08 PM
Being backwards compatible will definately be an awesome thing, and it'll help sell the next system. It will have a ton of games instead of just the launch titles. Another reason why PS2 has done so well is that at its release people could still play all their old games. yea i agree i think if the new gc wont let you play any gamecube games i may go back to buying sony because i am sick of having to buy all new games. it would be nice if the memory cards could be reused also

Razola
18th May 2003, 02:53 PM
The only reason that Sony's winning the console race is cause they had such a big lead over Nintendo. (Yea, and Microsoft but I hate them so I won't really talk about them.) If Nintendo wants to stand a chance next time than there going to have to release their next system when Sony does.

All I can say is Dreamcast...and Saturn.

Having a jump on the competition isn't everything.

The Muffin Man
20th May 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by dienamight
Nintendo also dominated the home console market with the NES and SNES, what's your point? One critical mistake and they lost their grip. It could happen again, although it's very unlikely. Sony will still give them a run for their money regardless, if only because of the name recognition.

See, Nintendo was the only competitor at that point. They hadn't had to deal with competition aside from Atari. Gameboy has gone through Nomad, Gamegear, etc...and stayed on top.

dienamight
20th May 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
See, Nintendo was the only competitor at that point. They hadn't had to deal with competition aside from Atari. Gameboy has gone through Nomad, Gamegear, etc...and stayed on top.

Sega, SNK and 3DO would like to prove you wrong.

Edit: I'm talking about both the NES and the SNES, not the NES exclusively.

Kokomo
20th May 2003, 07:40 PM
All I can say is Dreamcast...and Saturn.

Mind you my memory isn't great, but what was the support behind Dreamcast? I didn't have much did it.

PNT510
20th May 2003, 08:01 PM
Mind you my memory isn't great, but what was the support behind Dreamcast? I didn't have much did it.

They both had a jump on the competition.

classy_cat18
20th May 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by PNT510
They both had a jump on the competition.

Yeah, at first. But they sank into nothing in almost no time at all.

PNT510
20th May 2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by classy_cat18
Yeah, at first. But they sank into nothing in almost no time at all.

Which goes to prove Raz's point, that just because you have a jump on the compition means nothing.

woz
20th May 2003, 09:40 PM
dreamcast was godly you cockcowboys!

classy_cat18
20th May 2003, 09:43 PM
I'm not saying that Dreamcast sucks, I loved it. It's just that its godly reign ended all too soon.

PNT510
20th May 2003, 09:47 PM
What are you talking about? Dreamcast is still better than Gamecube.

Razola
21st May 2003, 12:29 PM
Dreamcast had a very strong start, with in my opinion a better launch than PS2.

Dreamcast also did online gaming and did it well, whereas it took the other three consoles a year or two after their launch to get online.

Dreamcast's death was caused by it's poor recent past. Things like Saturn's hard loss in the 32/64 bit era and the poorly supported add-ons for Sega Genesis had plucked gamers' last nerves. Despite trying to turn things around with the Dreamcasy, gamers had had enough. They weren't giving Sega another dime, which of course caused Dreamcast to fail and led to Sega removal from the hardware business.

Having a jump on the competition can be good, but it's not the end-all. Sony had a huge fanbase with the surprising success of PS1, which led to good sales with PS2. This did have the disadvantage of having the inferior console tech-wise (since Nintendo and X-Box had an extra year to work on theirs).