PDA

View Full Version : "Pokemon Heroes"

Dark Sage
15th May 2003, 03:56 AM
I was in the NY Pokemon Center the other day, and on their big screen, they showed the "Pokemon Heroes" trailer.

It looks pretty good; first of all the computer animation is stupendous.

Second, the villain in this movie is the best I've seen yet. This member of Team Rocket (sorry, she's not an Aqua), puts even the Iron Masked Maurader to shame; she's apparently a sorceress of some type who can control water - and seeing as her goal is to catch Latios and and Latias, who guard a city made of water, that's a useful power for a villain.

Speaking of the two Eon Pokemon, they are done well; in the movie they exibit weird abilities, like being able to transform into watery shapes themselves.

And their are the "cute" parts for those who want a break in intensity - in one scene I saw, Latias nuzzles Ash like a friendly dog.

What's more, I don't remember the names, but they seem to have an all-star cast. The voices for Ash, Misty, Brock, Gary, Prof. Oak, Jesse, James, Meowth, and Tracy (I think he's in it), remain the same, but there are new characters with celebrity voices. I'll get back to them when I learn them.

Finally, two versions are being made - a wide-screen format that will appear in Imax, and a regular-screen format. Those who see the regular-screen format will miss nothing, due to the miracle of modern computer animation.

In all, it seems like the "Matrix" of pokemon movies; if you like the anime, see it.

- Venusaur

FlareonX
15th May 2003, 05:14 AM
There are two villains in this movie, the Team Rocket duo of Annie and Oakley. Their goal is not to capture Latios and Latias, but rather to steal the Soul Dew, which is said to posess awesome powers. Latios is captured in order to harness the power of the Soul Dew, and the movie revolves around Ash and company along with Latias on a quest to save Latios and keep the Soul Dew safe.

Hanada Tattsu
15th May 2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks, Venusaur and FlareonX!

Wow, so this movie is getting made in both formats, Imax and Regular. Miramax indeed is doing much more with this film than they ever have done with other movies.

I'm gonna see the Regular version, I don't care much for Imax.

Dark Sage
15th May 2003, 10:08 AM
Well, I do not know if it was Annie or Oakly who I saw in the trailer (I saw only one villain, unless they are twins), but at least one is a sorceress of some kind who can control water.

Maybe this Soul Dew can increase the power of such a wizard, allowing her to control whole oceans.

Odd - this scheme sounds more like Team Aqua's plan; I guess they kept with the Rockets so as not to confuse kids who liked the show, but not the game.

- Venusaur

Light_Togetic
15th May 2003, 11:49 AM
Well, they couldn't have done it with TA, because they hadn't been introduced into the anime yet, and due to the fact that they aren't in Hoenn. I'm glad they made TR the bad guys in this movie, because it's probably the last they'll be in what with TA and TM being the big baddies of Ru/Sa.

An Imax version?? I wish I lived in a bigger city... I've never seen an Imax movie!! I just hope the movie comes to my town after it switches cities like they did with 4Ever. If it doesn't... looks like I'm takin' a road trip, because I really want to see it!

Entropy
15th May 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by FlareonX
There are two villains in this movie, the Team Rocket duo of Annie and Oakley.

They are not part of Team Rocket.

Hanada Tattsu
15th May 2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
They are not part of Team Rocket.

Yeah, it was a mis-translation.

Annie and Oakley are in no way, shape, or form connected with Team Rocket, Team Magma or Team Aqua.

xvkarbear
16th May 2003, 08:26 PM
the movie was great! (just got home from seeing it).. but somehow i suspected lantias and lantios to be bigger somehow.

I nearly cried!

Too Cool Scyther
16th May 2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Yeah, it was a mis-translation.

Annie and Oakley are in no way, shape, or form connected with Team Rocket, Team Magma or Team Aqua.

Just got back from the movie and they ARE a part of Team Rocket. They're secret spies for Giovanni. James knows them. Too bad they don't know him :(

Nikku-San
16th May 2003, 09:26 PM
Not playing around here... :(

Hanada Tattsu
17th May 2003, 09:54 AM
LOL, I knew that. :(

I'm so stressed right now I forgot all of Misty's Pokemon. :(

We have a 2500 point project due on Tuesday and we had three weeks to do it.

WebmasterLapras
18th May 2003, 09:33 AM
I just saw the movie when it came out on Friday. You are a little mistaken (even though I think it's still the best Pokemon movie yet) the Villian could only control the water in the town while the Defense Mechanism was activated and when she was at the helm. I thought it was a nice touch how the Villian got so carried away that she thought she could control the entire Pokemon world from a "defense" machine created only to defend the town.

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 09:37 AM
Yay! I'm gonna see the movie after church today! Yay!

I wanna see how they dubbed this movie, I hope 4Kids took percautions with it.

Team Rocket's Lugia
18th May 2003, 10:12 AM
Imax eh?

Maybe Latias will fly over your head?

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Lugia of LI
Imax eh?

Maybe Latias will fly over your head?

LOL.

I'm just gonna go see the regular version, I've never cared for Imax.

Team Rocket's Lugia
18th May 2003, 10:19 AM
LOL.

I'm just gonna go see the regular version, I've never cared for Imax.

I am going to see regular too, just a thought. As the only Imax theatre around is The Ontario Science Centre, and I don't think they'll play anything non-scientific.

P.S. Hanada, the whole page is filled with Last post by Hanada Tattsu.

Entropy
18th May 2003, 10:45 AM
Yeah, HE posts here often, but is there anything wrong with that?

Surprisingly enough, the nearest theatre isn't airing it. Sure, I could go elsewhere, but I haven't seen a Pokemon movie in theatres...since the 1st one. Yikes.

Had to edit because Hanada, what a surprise, is a guy! Sorry, man.

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 12:16 PM
Entropy, it's a he. ^^;;

Don't worry about it, I get it all the time. Also, I post a lot, but if you go and look at it, it's not spammy. I don't spam, all the posts are good.

Plus, I've been doing it for a long time, it's not spam, don't get the wrong info.

Entropy
18th May 2003, 12:33 PM
Well, I'm sorry. Just by reading your posts, I assumed you were girl... I don't know why, but it seems your personality registers as 'girl' to me. Whoops, I said too much, didn't I? I apologize and I'll edit my previous post.

Legends-Kuja
18th May 2003, 01:08 PM
Desire for seing dub: 100%

Chances of seeing dub in theatre: NO chance in h**l

GRAH... Why me? Ask anyone, I'd get SHOT.

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 11:25 PM
Don't worry about it, Entropy. :D

Pokemon Heroes: Latios and Latias

An excellent movie getting an excellent dub is too good to be true. The voices for Annie and Oakley were superb, as were the voices of Latias and Latios. Bianca and Lorenzo were good characters, and the added CGI was great! This movie has one of the best dubs, and I will be getting it on DVD once it comes back.

My Rating: 10/10

Bacl
19th May 2003, 12:07 PM

An excellent movie getting an excellent dub is too good to be true. The voices for Annie and Oakley were superb, as were the voices of Latias and Latios. Bianca and Lorenzo were good characters, and the added CGI was great! This movie has one of the best dubs, and I will be getting it on DVD once it comes back.

My Rating: 10/10

Hanada Tattsu, you should consider writing up a detailed review with spoilers for the spoilers section. Believe it or not some people who wouldn't otherwise go see the movie might go after it's been spoiled for them. Could be a nice shot in the arm for next weekends earnings.

As for me? I'll see it if it comes to my town, but that's unlikely. I'll probobly have to wait for the DVD. Ah well.

What I want to know (without being spoiled) is the extent of the role of Jessie and James. So far in two of the movies they basically been background candy (1 & 3) with no purpose in the least. In the second they had a little more then a cameo-like appearance, helping free the legendaries with their poison Pokemon and then sacrificing themselves to save the day. The fourth movie actually saw them participate in the plot fully, at first battleing the twerps in their normal fasion (and even saying the motto IN FULL...the only time that's happened in a movie) and then teaming up with the head villian for a few minutes to help catch Celebii. So without really spoiling, which movie is their involvment more like? Or is this in a class of it's own? ;)

Entropy
19th May 2003, 05:55 PM
I bought today's edition of the New York Post, and the reviewer gave it a completely shoddy thought. I won't even post it, considering he probably thought little of it. Eugh, I like The Post, but not for that kind of review, even if it's his opinion...

Hanada Tattsu
19th May 2003, 06:42 PM
Team Rocket didn't do anything in this movie. Ash and friends didn't even see them, and not even Annie and Oakley did.

It's kinda wierd, I hoped they would do something.

Bacl
19th May 2003, 07:23 PM
Team Rocket didn't do anything in this movie. Ash and friends didn't even see them, and not even Annie and Oakley did.

It's kinda wierd, I hoped they would do something.

Well...I'm still gonna go see the movie...but it looks like Pokemon 4ever was Team Rocket's only shot at the spotlight.

Entropy
19th May 2003, 07:29 PM
Big deal. If anything, I think it was smart to have TR play a lesser role. It won't hurt anything to have them 'sit out' for a while, even just for a movie.

Bacl
19th May 2003, 08:15 PM
Big deal. If anything, I think it was smart to have TR play a lesser role. It won't hurt anything to have them 'sit out' for a while, even just for a movie.

It's fine to give them a lesser role.

A) They are pretty much the villians of EVERY SINGLE ANIME EPISODE.

B) It would be absurd to have them be the main bad guys of every single movie.

But if they are considered main characters and then deemed worthy of airtime in the movies, then why waste five minutes having them running up psychic staircases or lurking around in the background with no purpose at all? If you're gonna use 'em, then use 'em. Instead of the five minutes as they appear in this movie (which I haven't seen but have a good idea about now that I know the level of their involvment) imagine if those exact same five minutes had been with a quick but complete Pokemon battle where we saw Arbok, Wheezing, Victreebell and Wobbuffet? Or something else along those lines.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: great writing costs the same as terrible writing with anime/cartoons. Special effects and scenary don't cost extra, and things like Pokemon battles with cool effects and full use of character potential cost the exact same as having team Rocket running around mindlessly.

Don't even get me started on Misty, Brock, Tracey, etc...

You'd think at this point, what with half a dozen movies, the makers would realize the only people still watching are the hard core and loyal fans. Pokemon movies ain't gonna get a thumbs up from Roger Ebert (let alone a review), it ain't gonna get the same release as Kangaroo Jack, and it ain't gonna make the billions it once did.

Do we keep it alive by realizing that the audience it has now is gonna be the only audience it keeps? Or keep trying to write a one hit wonder that caters to the concept of "bringing in fresh and new blood" so that they can make another billion?

Geez. Weren't we just talking about Team Rocket? ::steps down off soapbox:: Uh...I like thier motto...and...oh never mind! :rolleyes:

Hanada Tattsu
20th May 2003, 10:45 PM
Yes, but imagine if Team Rocket turned evil like they used to be?

Imagine if they are the main villians of the future films, if any, and they can even get guns..

Dark Sage
21st May 2003, 05:50 AM
Hanada -

Guns?

Do you know why Americans never saw the "Safari Zone episode" where Ash caught all those Tauros?

It is because a character used a realistic weapon - a rifle - to scare away Team Rocket. American censors thought that was too intense for children, so the episode was not shown in the US.

I therefore doubt that any character in the anime will use a real gun.

In fact, in many episodes, scenes are deleted and changed from the original. In original versions, some scenes (many involving Jesse) can be too suggestive for American children. Also, scenes of violence are carefully supervised, although admittedly, there are not many cuts there.

Anyone like "Dragonball Z"? If you think the American version is violent, you should see the original. Censors had to edit almost every episode to erase much of the blood and do away with gore.

And yet, the juvinile crime rate in Japan is almost nonexistant... it makes you wonder.

Sorry if this turned into a rant.

- Venusaur

Hanada Tattsu
21st May 2003, 09:11 AM
Venusaur, I know what you're hinting to, but the Japanese have mature children who don't mind seeing adult situations on the show, like Jessie seducing the Safari Warden in the banned episode.

But I'm just saying to make Team Rocket more villanous, more evil.

Bacl
21st May 2003, 10:47 AM
But I'm just saying to make Team Rocket more villanous, more evil.

I agree 100%. So far every movie has more or less followed a generaloutline of this nature: legendary of some sort or another is causing trouble or in danger. Fantastic and mystical adventure enues, and said adventure/battle generally has very little to do with the a pokemon trainer's quest to be a master.

I'd love to see a movie where Team Rocket was the main villian. They could mix Team Rocket's plans of Pokemon theft with a league challenge and give us atruly spectacular Pokemon movie. They could laso bring in Giovanni, Butch, Cassidy, and all the few other TeamRocket members we've seen on occation. Pokemon 6 is around team Magma, right? And seven no doubt Team Aqua? Well then Pokemon 8: Team Rocket's Revenge! ;)

But, getting back on topic, I just saw an extended trailer for Pokemon Heroes today and am once again drooling to go see this movie. It looks awsome! I'm just dying to know why Ash is running from an Aerodactyl in one shot (DON'T TELL ME). Funny how it seemed like the first movie was a little...well...off...like they hadn't found their footing yet, but now that the films are practically straight to DVD they are becomming more and more masterful.

Dark Sage
21st May 2003, 02:41 PM
"Hinting at?"

I don't know what you think I am hinting at, but what i meant was, I DON'T like what the American censors do. i would not mind at all seeing the pokemon episodes as they originally were.

(Well, mainly. I don't mind a few things they do; remember in Squirtles first appearance how he and his Squad stole Jesse and James's jelly donuts? Well, in the japanese version, they were rice cakes, not donuts. The censors thought Americans would find jelly donuts more appealing than the tasty Japanese dessert - Americans might have thought they meant those diet food things that taste like styrafoam - so they changed the script. I don't mind that...BUT...)

I would have had no problem with a character using a real gun in Pokemon; I think that the way censors edit cartoons is chickening out, and it is a travesty. They have even gone so low lately to edit classic "Loony Toons" episodes; the worst part is that it is Warner Bros. that did it to the classic "Toons."

I think American kids could have handled that episode and the rest of the banned episodes (well, except the one that sent two-thousand Japanese kids to the hospital after they tried a new animation technique - THAT one will never be shown again anywhere). Its a cartoon - if the censors think some kids can't handle it, they should just rate it TV-PG.

- Venusaur

P.S. Japanese children are not more "mature than american ones (after all, Pokemon was invented there). Kids are kids, anywhere. Japan has the same level of development as us, and while the language and culture are differnt, children still like to watch TV, play video games, and just "be kids."
At least that's what my Child Psychology professor says.

Entropy
21st May 2003, 03:39 PM
IMO, it's not likely we'll see Jessie and James 'evil' again. They've pretty much become nothing more but comedy relief for the anime.

Hanada Tattsu
21st May 2003, 07:44 PM
Venusaur - That's not true. Japanese boys don't say "Eew, I have cooties!", whenever a girl accidently touches them. I'm not being racial, as I'm an American myself, but they're much more mature than American children are.

Bacl
21st May 2003, 08:30 PM
Well...I don't think that a child of Japanese ethnicity/descent/whatever is any different from a child of any other ethnicity/descent/whatever. However a child born and raised in Japanese society is likely to have some differences then a child raised in a different society. The difference is social, not racial.

Are Japanese kids more mature then American kids. Beats me, because I've never been a Japanese kid, just an American one...and I was...weird. But I do see evidence that certain themes that American television has a real problem with are allowed in Japanese programs. And vice versa. Like i said, different cultures, different things. But that's what's cool about living in an age where you can be exposed to other cultures and maybe see the same thing in two different lights. Like Pokemon! Hooray!

Although it is weird to hear the Jessie is...uh...extra flirtacious in the Japanese episodes. Makes perfect sense for the character, but I always heard the the Japanese were slightly more nervous about sexual themes then America. Although now that I've typed it out it doesn't make much sense.

Oy. What I don't know about the different cultures of the world could fill a warehouse.

Hanada Tattsu
21st May 2003, 10:08 PM
Actually, Bacl, the Japanese are a lot more freelance about sexual themes than the Americans are.

Bacl
22nd May 2003, 12:07 AM
Actually, Bacl, the Japanese are a lot more freelance about sexual themes than the Americans are.

Like I said, what I don't know could fill a large warehouse. At least the one thing I'm not ignorant about is that I am ignorant about just about everything.

Well, we Americans are pretty nervous about sexual content. What do you expect from a country that is largly influenced by Puritans. I mean, these folk were so uptight that the British kicked them out. ;)

Getting back to the original topic, I'm interested to see that most people who have seen this film are very pleased with the DUB. I'm curious, without any major spoilers in regards to the film (which still has not come to my town), what is so superior about the voice acting? I mean, aren't these the same six people who basically do all the voices for just about everything since day one?

Entropy
22nd May 2003, 04:55 AM
I agree with Hanada. If anything, America is censor-happy simply because of politics. It should be known that the majority of the voting public in America comprises of parents. If anything, they are worried that if any 'bad' things were to be communicated to their children...why god forbid what would happen!?! :rolleyes:

So, politicians in return assure them that their children are 'protected' for votes. Sinister huh? Of course, more risque things like nudity and sexual things as Hanada said are prominent in international television and just shows how conservative and backwards America can be sometimes.

Hanada Tattsu
22nd May 2003, 05:33 PM
Well, Brian, the voice acting was great!

I know that either Annie or Oakley had Cassidy's voice, but that was the only voice i recognized.

Pokemon Neo
23rd May 2003, 10:25 AM
OMG I went last night to ge see Pokemon Heroes and this is hands down the best movie so far.It actually managed to knock off Revelation Lugia as my #1 movie.

What can I say.The animation is great,the GG is great,the action is great,and(if you manage to see this in a decent theater),the sound is great.Pokemon Heroes also had the best art and backgrounds since "Lord of the Unown Tower.I mean,this movie was so good that you dont need to be a Pokemon fan to enjoy it.Pokemon Heroes should be able to please all audiences.(if they'd actually go and see it!>_<)

Pokemon Heroes:10/10

You know,in away I'm almost pissed off that it was that good because in a few weeks we're going to have the stupid critics kissing Finding Nemo's and the new Rugrats movie's a$$.The New York Times called Pokemon Heroes,"...tedious,unimaginative...",but I bet talking fish are going to be considered creative as hell.*argh* It just makes me kind of mad.

pokemonm
23rd May 2003, 03:31 PM
i give it 10/10 i liked the evil vilans. the la times gave it a okay rating.

Hanada Tattsu
24th May 2003, 09:15 PM
I know, Neo, tell me about it.

Talking fish and talking babies who are talking to kids who can talk to animals is not as interesting as Pokemon 5.

Hitori
24th May 2003, 09:20 PM
I've read reviews of the movie. They're pretty bad, but there WERE a few that actually praised the movie. I'd like to go watch it, but due to it's limited release, it might be difficult. The movie seems interesting and so do the characters.

Hanada Tattsu
24th May 2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Hitori
I've read reviews of the movie. They're pretty bad, but there WERE a few that actually praised the movie. I'd like to go watch it, but due to it's limited release, it might be difficult. The movie seems interesting and so do the characters.

Yeah, critics are just for some reason negative towards this film, maybe cause they're mad at Pokemon or something, I dunno.

ILikePokemonP
25th May 2003, 02:01 AM

Yeah, critics are just for some reason negative towards this film, maybe cause they're mad at Pokemon or something, I dunno. From what I've seen, the media has never been too friendly towards pokemon. I remember Christmas Eve one year on the TV, the reporter had bought one of those toy pokeballs and crushed it with her foot ;o Not exactly what I would call "great" viewing :(

Hanada Tattsu
25th May 2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by ILikePokemon;P
From what I've seen, the media has never been too friendly towards pokemon. I remember Christmas Eve one year on the TV, the reporter had bought one of those toy pokeballs and crushed it with her foot ;o Not exactly what I would call "great" viewing :(

o_O;;

What did she do?

It's not too friendly with kids either. They say its gay and for kids and stuff, and many of them go watch Yu-gi-oh. Some of them don't watch anything, they just don't leave me alone cause I like it.

EmpressMyuu
25th May 2003, 11:36 AM
What the critics have to say about Pokémon really p*sses me off. It's like the only reason they think the Pokémon movies that we give such good ratings to is because they hate Pokémon. They think it's gay and is for little kids only. WRONG! I'm even getting my dad into Pokémon. Well, he's getting there anyway. They can't rate a movie depending on the current "fad". They should ignore the Pokémon and rate the movie for the MOVIE. Like how good the quality is and stuff. If they can forget for one second that the movie didn't involve Pokémon, we would get better ratings. That's why the best critics are either no critics, or you hire kids to take their place. At least kids can give a straight and honest opinion.

Even though I haven't seen the movie yet, and due to how much I hate those Pokémon- hating Matrix-loving critics, I'm immediately giving this movie a 10/10.

Dark Sage
25th May 2003, 03:46 PM
What do we care what the critics say?

Back in 1976, the original "Star Wars" got bad reviews.

Same thing for "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

If you want a more recent example, I saw some bad reviews for "Spider-Man." One critic said "a big-budget piece of eye-candy with little plot and even less sense."

Even the first "Lord of the Rings" movie got bad reviews, even though it was nominated for several Oscars and won a couple. One radio critic said it was a "copycat of 'Star Wars' in a different setting." Apparently this moron of a critic didn't know that the book was writen when George Lucas was in grade school.

And as for "Matrix Reloaded," it isn't getting all good reviews. Some critics say that Keanu Reeves isn't a very good actor (and he isn't - his voice is annoying), and that movie, while exciting, "moves too fast."

You like the movie, I like it, I don't care what the critics say. And neither does Nintendo - they're complaining all the way to the bank.

- Venusaur

P.S. I kind of LIKED the "Powerpuff Girls" movie.

Hanada Tattsu
25th May 2003, 06:46 PM
I still see no reason why critics have to be negative towards this film, I mean, I know every movie has bad reviews, but I haven't seen good reviews for this.

Bacl
29th May 2003, 06:57 PM
I still see no reason why critics have to be negative towards this film, I mean, I know every movie has bad reviews, but I haven't seen good reviews for this.

That's because you're dealing with a unique situation. Pokemon movies aren't just average other movies. They are in a classification all their own. Imported, highly popular, absolute gibberish to anyone who isn't a Pokemon fan, and numerous (while most films are lucky to see a sequel, we're up to half a dozen Pokemon flicks).

So what's ReporterX supposed to do? They go to the theater, sit down, and are treated to a world so foreign to them that they feel nothing but irritation and annoyance. I'll bet most walk out after ten minutes, if they bother going at all. It's frustrating beyond belief, but I understand why it happens.

Hanada Tattsu
30th May 2003, 06:53 PM
I see where you're going with that, Bacl.

And you're right. Pokemon is a world available to someone who watches more than 10 minutes of a Johto episode, you have to give it a chance and check it out. Once you do that, you're hooked.

Entropy
2nd June 2003, 06:34 PM

It's not too friendly with kids either. They say its gay and for kids and stuff, and many of them go watch Yu-gi-oh. Some of them don't watch anything, they just don't leave me alone cause I like it.

Too bad for them. I have a friend who was into Yu-Gi-Oh! and a couple of weeks ago, he dropped rather quickly. Summing it all up, kids are young and ignorant, so they'll always make rash assumptions and uneducated judgments... The real issue has to do with how 4Kids, Nintendo, Miramax, KidsWB! and all of the other affliated companies are treating Pokemon: a franchise. They all don't care about the hard work that is put into the original production and enforce their bizarre and unecessary practices on it, therefore tainting the beauty of the anime. It's sad, but no one can do anything about it...unless we boycott.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd June 2003, 06:36 PM
Too bad for them. I have a friend who was into Yu-Gi-Oh! and a couple of weeks ago, he dropped rather quickly. Summing it all up, kids are young and ignorant, so they'll always make rash assumptions and uneducated judgments... The real issue has to do with how 4Kids, Nintendo, Miramax, KidsWB! and all of the other affliated companies are treating Pokemon: a franchise. They all don't care about the hard work that is put into the original production and enforce their bizarre and unecessary practices on it, therefore tainting the beauty of the anime. It's sad, but no one can do anything about it...unless we boycott.

Well, I wouldn't stop watching the dub, but I will boycott their stupid merchandise, some of them are thoughtful, but some are just uncalled for.

Entropy
2nd June 2003, 06:39 PM
But that's the thing right there. By watching the dub, you make 4Kids think that what they're doing is the right thing and they'll continue on. Of course, this is all speculation on my part. Your suggestions can also have an effect.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd June 2003, 06:43 PM
But that's the thing right there. By watching the dub, you make 4Kids think that what they're doing is the right thing and they'll continue on. Of course, this is all speculation on my part. Your suggestions can also have an effect.

I have seen all the episodes in Japanese, so I shouldn't complain, but still, I think what you say is true in that case.

EmpressMyuu
2nd June 2003, 07:41 PM
Now this is what I've been wanting to hear! The only thing we could do is boycott, or send a huge letter to Miramax from all of us just so they can see how we feel on the situation. I don't mind giving up the anime for a little while. But the movies? Not a snowball's chance in hell! I checked again for the movie to see if it was in New Orleans yet and I nearly shed tears when I found out that it wasn't. There's nothing more exciting than being able to see a Pokémon movie on the wide screen. (If they said they're doing it in regular and IMAX format, it'll be even more exciting in 3-D.)

The fate of Pokémon 6 actually lies in our hands. It's time for Miramax to learn that die-hard Pokémon fanatics still roam America from coast to coast. But there's something we all need to remember--we are not the only Pokémon fans in existance. Kids who go to different message boards or for the younger ones that don't even know what the Internet is--how would they know? How would we spread the word? Our boycott only makes up a small percentage of Pokéholics nationwide--a very small percentage. Unless we could spread the word to others, we would never succeed. Heed my words. Let's try and save the sixth movie. If we don't, it may not even make it to the U.S.

Entropy
2nd June 2003, 08:12 PM
Right on, Empress..but just one suggestion. Could you please use a darker font color? It's hard to read and I actually have to highlight the text just to read it. Very much appreciated.

EmpressMyuu
2nd June 2003, 09:59 PM
Of course I can! At least this is still blue. My "crusade" was rudely interrupted by a surprise blackout from a thunderstorm. Anyway, besides boycott, we could send a petition to Miramax, or even better, individual emails. I'm about to send one to Miramax now. Who's with me? The pic and the paragraph below in my sig tells all.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if I'm using the word crusade right. I'm gonna go check a dictionary too.

EmpressMyuu
2nd June 2003, 10:48 PM
And I'm using the word right! I just sent an email to Miramax about the Pokémon movies. However, 4Kids is going to be a little harder to get to. I saw NO email address on their site. Hmph. Companies like them think they're gonna outsmart us like that. They don't know when to forgive and forget.

Cuno03
2nd June 2003, 11:26 PM
Im really upset. As soon as Pokemon 5 was released May 16th in theateres, I was going to see it with a few of my friends but i couldnt go right away because I had homework and studying for finals. Now last weekend, I called the theatere it was playing at in my area (Seattle) and they aren't showing it anymore! I am just so upset over the whole damn thing. Only a week and a half into the release and they pulled it out of theaters here.

Well, I guess no hope in seeing Pokemon 5 here in Washington State. Can't make it here.:( :(

Pokemon Neo
3rd June 2003, 03:45 AM
Well, I wouldn't stop watching the dub, but I will boycott their stupid merchandise, some of them are thoughtful, but some are just uncalled for.

Pfft,most of their merchandise isn't even that good.Where the hell is my black TR t-shirt with the red "R" on the front that I've been waiting for so long!?:mad: A black TR beanie wouldn't be such bad idea either.

Apparently,these guys are idiots when it comes to advertising the anime and the merchandise.

As far as postive reviews go,the La Weekly gave it a somewhat decent review.Also,notice when you scroll down that "A Piglet Movie" is recommended but "Pokémon Heroes" is not.-_-; Once you find and read the review,you can tell that most people have a big misconception about the anime.Oh,and what a freakin' surprise."Finding Nemo" is getting great reviews.I'm sure it's good movie though.But I hope the stupid critics realize this is basically about talking fish and that the CGI is the only thing that makes stand out.But Pokemon is the one that's "tedious and unimaginative".>< *argh*

http://www.laweekly.com/film/search_film.php

Hanada Tattsu
3rd June 2003, 06:43 PM
LOL, Piglet's Big Movie is getting good reviews?

Listen, I love Winnie the Pooh, but only the original 1977 release and the first sequel, the other ones are stupid, cliche films. In PBM, Piglet runs away (I think) and in The Tigger Movie, Tigger gets sad and runs away. What is up with this?

AKA Pokemon Fan
3rd June 2003, 07:07 PM
About Jessie and James and Meowth becoming more evil, I very much doubt it. The series and movies have gone to great lengths to show that the three are really good at heart and don't have what it takes to be real villains.

As a matter of fact the Dallas Morning News critic gave Pokemon Heroes a B and complimented that it had the best plot of any Pokemon movie yet. I don't take any critic seriously if their criticism doesn't include any actual facts about the movie. A real reviewer won't depend on preconceptions or outside details when determining the quality of a movie's story. I mean most of these negative critics seem to simply say that the movie is bad, make a remark about Pokemon's dying popularity, say its kiddish, and don't actually say what is actually in the movie to make them think this way.

Anyway, here's my review *WARNING SPOILERS*

I found "Heroes" to be a very enjoyable, if very different, Pokemon movie. This one focused on Ash (and his relationship with Latios) more than any of the previous movies, which some fans may consider a bad thing but I found it done quite well. Team Rocket were short changed of course, making few witty comments, not getting to say a motto, and not getting to sign off at the end like in all the previous movies. They mainly were in the background getting pummelled by various plot events. The only real purpose they tried to make in the movie was to get close to Annie and Oakley so they could have friends that were high ranking in Team Rocket. On another hand we saw a return of Ash's "run and yell at a powerful barrier" routine.

The movie had a bit of a unconventional climax, with Annie and Oakley being beaten quite easily in comparison to past villains. In fact they actually beat themselves due to their greed. However, the introduction of impending doom by a giant tsunami was certainly a nice touch.

That being said, Annie and Oakley were great, sexy villains with their vicious pokemon, athletic skills, witty banter, cruel tactics, and cool gadgets. And didn't they look just adorable in their prison outfits? :D

This movie dealt a lot with the spiritual aspects of Pokemon. That is it showed that Pokemon have souls, and even showed Latias's vision as it was dying, it leaving Earth and going out into the vastness of space, perhaps to symbolially join with the universe, although its soul still remained partially in our world in the form of the new soul dew.

The relationship between Ash and Latios was quite endearing. It just melted my heart watching them play together and how Ash simply just held her after her brother had died. It was really touching.

Little details to notice:

Did anyone else see that Annie and Oakley were looking at pictures of Lawence III and his collection during the credits? I'd heard of this scene in the Japanese version and heard it said that they admire Lawence and want to meet him but to me it looked like they were planning their next heist.

As the story ends Ash sees two Latias and a Latios flying toward Altomare. Now what exactly does this scene mean? Is it somehow symbolic, showing the father Latias, his dead son and living daughter (or perhaps the deceased mother) together? If so then why would Ash be able to see them? Or could they have simply been other Latias and Latios coming to visit or live in Altomare? Thoughts?

Misty
3rd June 2003, 07:34 PM
Annie Oakley... hah, nice callback to the wild west theme(Jesse James, Butch Cassidy)

Unfortunately, guess what most critics are: parents. And the ones that don't almost always know some. And that means they probably have bad memories of kids going "omg GET ME TEH POKEYMAN MERCHANDISE!!!!!!!!!!1111111" It really used to be quite obscene, I'm betting. Somehow I'm betting you can't find a "fad" movie that will get good reviews. Just you wait for a Yu-Gi-Oh movie, and I bet you'll see I'm right.

In any case, I haven't seen this movie or the previous one, so I guess I'll be signing out of this topic.

RJdude
3rd June 2003, 07:47 PM
I haven't seen it yet (My parents won't let me... they think its for little kids) but from what i hear, it seems to be pretty good. The one hing I hate about this is how the critics are bashing it... I swear, if the writters took out "Pokemon" from the title, slapped "A Walt Disney Production" on the poster and replaced the Pokemon with talking animals, the critics would be kissing its ***.

Pidgeot018
4th June 2003, 06:27 AM
In PBM, Piglet runs away (I think) and in The Tigger Movie, Tigger gets sad and runs away. What is up with this? [/B]

Remember the Adventures of Winnie the Pooh Saturday morning cartoon show on ABC? Nearly half of them were about someone running away.

Toon Dragon
4th June 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by EmpressMyuu
However, 4Kids is going to be a little harder to get to. I saw NO email address on their site. Hmph. Companies like them think they're gonna outsmart us like that. They don't know when to forgive and forget.

They're not as hard to get to as you think ;).

E-mail: webmaster@4kidsentertainment.com

Snail Mail:
4Kids Entertainment
1414 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10016

About the film, I didn't really enjoy it since I was in a ticked-off mood when I saw it. Truthfully, I think my parents were happier than I was when we left the theater. But now that I think about it, I really liked it. The animation's goregous in some scenes, like the huge waves. Heh, I didn't like Pokémon 4-Ever much until I saw for the second time, and I now I love it.

And, actually, the reviewer for the San Francisco Chronicle kinda liked it. (He hated the 4th film; it was given the equvilant to a "0" and the only other film I remember getting that was Jackass: The Movie.) He admitted the animation was "...jazzed up...", but also had the opinion that this was another marketing ploy since Ruby & Sapphire were just released. Toy-based and game-based shows and films don't have the same respect as they do in Japan.

Hanada Tattsu
4th June 2003, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Pidgeot.

I had forgotten about that lame television cartoon that was on ABC a while back. I mean, how could that cliche movie get excellent ratings and not Pokemon?

EmpressMyuu
4th June 2003, 11:31 PM
Thank you so much for the email address, Toon Dragon. I've copied and pasted the entire letter here for all of you to read.

To Whom It May Concern:
I love the Pokémon movies, there’s no doubt about that. But the biggest problem that a lot of my new Internet friends and I have is the fact that you are now letting Miramax distribute the movies. They’re distributing the movies as a limited release; so many of us can’t find a theater close enough that our parents will take us to. I’m really angry; the nearest theater is in Texas, and I live in Louisiana, and for a limited release, my dad would only drive about as far as New Orleans.
I can remember the pain I felt when I couldn’t see Pokémon 4Ever at the theater. We hoped it would at least be in New Orleans, but it wasn’t there, but eventually, it did come to New Orleans. However, it wasn’t till near the date of the movie’s release on video that we realized it. So instead of getting to see it in theater, I had to wait five excruciating months till it came out on video, and believe me, our TV is nothing compared to the big screen. I don’t want to have to do the same for Pokémon Heroes.
This is your worst mistake ever. I know Pokémon’s popularity has dropped over the five years it’s been in the States, but there are still thousands, possibly millions, of “Pokéholics” out there. As you know, most of them like me are well below the age of 18. And when you’re under 18, whatever your parents say goes; so many children can’t see the Pokémon movies they’ve been dying to see in the theater. As I’ve said before, there’s nothing more exciting than seeing a Pokémon movie at the theater, and there’s nothing more disappointing than when your parents say no, just because of the lengthy drive. Open your heart up to the minorities (the Pokémon fans), and start distributing the Pokémon movies again. The movies are actually making very little profit because of their limited release. After all, I don’t know of a single state without at least 1000 Pokémon fans. I thought you were 4Kids Entertainment…not 4Adults.

Sincerely,
A.C., AKA EmpressMyuu

Moved by the message? Good! Because when I tried to send them the email, I received a message back saying that it failed to send the message. Happened the second time too. Good thing I copied and pasted. I'm smart :D.

Anyway, thanks again, Toon Dragon, for also giving me their regular mail address. I'm gonna try to send the message that way. After all, there isn't going to be anything to stop the mail truck, is there?

ILikePokemonP
5th June 2003, 02:58 AM
Well done on that letter *claps*

Perhaps you can mention somewhere in that letter that no one outside the U.S has even had 4Ever in cinemas yet. I imported it which not everyone can do but I'd still love to see it on the big screen.

EmpressMyuu
5th June 2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the P.S. I just added on. I was about to send the letter! All I need to do is write down the address from Toon Dragon's post and send the letter. Wish me luck!

EmpressMyuu
5th June 2003, 05:53 PM
I just sent the letter! It turns out that our mail had run early today, so we had to run to the post office and drop it off. I drew Pikachu and Mew on the envelope, so they'd know right away that it concerns Pokémon. Pray that it gets to them and that they know what they've done!

Diana-Chan
5th June 2003, 10:16 PM
I never got to see the movie.. a theater that has it was too far away... thanks to the limited realease. Well anyway, today I went to rottentomatoes.com and look. I saw bad reviews on Pokemon Heroes by critics. Well.. Aren't they nasty. They are not even a fan of pokemon. only a true pokemon fan should be the critic.. They treat pokemon like crap. I look at other reviews on the pokemon catorgory.. they have rotten ratings. I cannot belive that Critics put rotten ratings.. Well. I have to go to bed. Good Nite.

EmpressMyuu
6th June 2003, 12:27 PM
I'm beginning to wonder just how fast my letter got to New York...Pokémon Heroes is now showing in NEW ORLEANS!!! :D :D :D

This is one movie I'm not just gonna wait for its video! Crescent City, here I come!!!

And as for everyone else, good luck in finding a theater. Pokémon Heroes has spread to over 200 THEATERS!!!

My mom heard me scream when I saw that New Orleans was playing it. She thought I saw a rat! Yeah, I saw a rat...a rat named Pikachu!

AKA Pokemon Fan
6th June 2003, 12:40 PM
I'm beginning to wonder just how fast my letter got to New York...Pokémon Heroes is now showing in NEW ORLEANS!!! :D :D :D

This is one movie I'm not just gonna wait for its video! Crescent City, here I come!!!

And as for everyone else, good luck in finding a theater. Pokémon Heroes has spread to over 200 THEATERS!!!

My mom heard me scream when I saw that New Orleans was playing it. She thought I saw a rat! Yeah, I saw a rat...a rat named Pikachu!
Good for you. I heard they did this with 4ever too, keeping it in a number of theatres for a few weeks then moving them to another group of theatres.

What I can't believe is I haven't seen a single advertisement on KidsWB (or any other channel) for the movie. They're the company that shows the show so you would think they'd hold a big celebration of some kind like they did when Ruby and Sapphire was released.

EmpressMyuu
6th June 2003, 01:51 PM
Scratch what I said, another miracle happened...a theater in BATON ROUGE is playing it! I live right next to Baton Rouge!!! :D :D :D

Diana-Chan
6th June 2003, 02:17 PM
It's pointless to take a 30-60 min drive to a theater that has it. It is a waste of gas and money. So I wait for the DVD.

BTW: I live in Caldwell, New Jersey... and theres no nearest theater that has it. :(

Mystic Latios
6th June 2003, 04:50 PM

There are 3 good reviews here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808451248&cf=critic

Diana-Chan
6th June 2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by SaffronTrainer
There are 3 good reviews here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808451248&cf=critic
3.. most of the other reviews are bad. They are bashing pokemon. Most critics give them crappy ratings grades like F, D-,and a C or 1 star rating and so on. Why don't critics give pokemon a chance?

Legends-Kuja
6th June 2003, 06:52 PM
I'm glad to see Annie and Oakley are so popular! YEEEEEEEEEHAW! Too bad I'd be shot if I saw it in theatres, and ONE IS IN MY FRICKIN NEIGHBORHOOD!

EmpressMyuu
6th June 2003, 07:31 PM
I just saw the movie, and I have to say, it is definitely one of the best out there. I laughed, cried, and said "awwww" about a hundred times throughout the movie. It was so sad when Latios died! I knew how Latias felt because I have an older brother, and there have been several occasions where he almost died. We share a very close bond...

There were also some super surprises! First of all, I was shocked when I found out that Oakley was a girl. Usually the Rocket duos like Jessie+James and Butch+Cassidy have a boy and a girl, but these two seemed like sisters. And then there was the part that really shocked me.

*SPOILER*

Latias, in her human form, kisses Ash!

*END SPOILER*

All in all, this was a super movie. I give it a 10/10.

Hanada Tattsu
7th June 2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks, EmpressMyuu, for somehow persuading 4Kids to do what they did. I already saw the film, but for all those silent fans out there, I think that you did a great thing for 'em.

Thanks!

oni flygon
7th June 2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Diana-Chan
3.. most of the other reviews are bad. They are bashing pokemon. Most critics give them crappy ratings grades like F, D-,and a C or 1 star rating and so on. Why don't critics give pokemon a chance?

Well, regardless of the franchise's popularity the movies and the anime are seam to be targetted by criticts because it "hurt" some of them... or so... They'll just start an absurd comment saying that Annie and Oakley wear short skirts and give it an F. (Especially that moron at the New York Post ... Damn You!) Somehow, they want to stop the PokeMovies but can't. Thanks to good ol Japanese Ratings.

EmpressMyuu
7th June 2003, 09:55 PM
Heh, heh...(blushing madly) You're welcome.

But really, I think you guys deserve most of the credit. You people are the ones that really keep my hopes in the air. I was a little shocked to find that you all supported the letter I sent to 4Kids. To be truthful, other than you guys, I don't really have many friends, and if I had explained my plan to anyone besides my family and all of you on here, I'd be laughed off the face of the planet. So when I saw how much you wanted to see the movie just as badly as I did, and that you supported every word I had said about it, I was determined to get the message through to 4Kids that this was the worst mistake they ever made.

So far, it looks like we've won the battle, but I can reassure you that we have NOT won the war. After all, they may do this again to Pokémon 6.

oni flygon
7th June 2003, 10:14 PM
O.o A letter? We made an online petition to Miramax about the limited release. :D Sadly, it was somehow sabotaged...:mad: :(

Hanada Tattsu
7th June 2003, 10:28 PM
I have no friends at school besides a few too, so I suppose that we're alike. Anyway, I thought what u did was quite nice, in fact, you are a great persuader. 4Kids usually ignore that kind of stuff.

GoldenDragonite
8th June 2003, 12:20 PM
Bleh, Its not playing anywhere near here.. but I've seen the subbed Japanese version, and I liked that! I heard they changed Latios and Latias's voices though...

Also: I'm confused, what was in this letter that you sent to 4-kids?

EmpressMyuu
8th June 2003, 07:28 PM
Let's just say that it was a little thing I called "letting them have it." I explained that it was a horrible idea to let Miramax distribute the movies. With a limited release, there were several kids who couldn't see it, and they were going to rake in a lot less money. If we're lucky, they might have taken back their distribution rights, because I got to see Pokémon Heroes in a theater in Baton Rouge, which is the city I live next to. And believe me, Pokémon 4Ever didn't play anywhere in Baton Rouge.

Hanada Tattsu
8th June 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by GoldenDragonite
Bleh, Its not playing anywhere near here.. but I've seen the subbed Japanese version, and I liked that! I heard they changed Latios and Latias's voices though...

Also: I'm confused, what was in this letter that you sent to 4-kids?

Where do you live? Because if you live in America, there has been a lot of new theatres playing the fifth movie that were not playing the fourth movie, so do some research on it, you might have missed something.

Pokefreak
12th June 2003, 04:10 PM
I totally support your campaign for getting the Pokemon movies more widespread. I think the theater that was playing the movie near me yanked it so now I'll have to wait for DVD. I also don't really have many friends at school. I have some in my neighborhood, and few fairly good friends at school, but I don't have a best friend. So I guess a lot of us are alike!

Also, have you noticed that the movie versions of a tv show seem to always be better? Like Pokemon, Powerpuff Girls, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (the T.V. show kinda sucked), and Back to the Future (ditto).

Dark Sage
12th June 2003, 04:14 PM
That is because a movie has a bigger budget than a TV show, and can spend more money on better stuff. In the case of "Pokemon," a movie project can afford better animation than a TV animation studio.

- Venusaur

Hanada Tattsu
12th June 2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Venusaur
That is because a movie has a bigger budget than a TV show, and can spend more money on better stuff. In the case of "Pokemon," a movie project can afford better animation than a TV animation studio.

- Venusaur

Well, can you explain Advance Generation then?

'Cause that season has some of the best animation I have ever seen, so I can't wait to see the sixth movie.

It comes out in about seven days or so in Japan.

Dark Sage
12th June 2003, 06:54 PM
Yes, I can explain that. As shows get more popular, their budget gets higher.

See, when a show is successful - like Pokemon has become - its central network pays more attention to it, and gives it more of a percentage for its production. Also, successful shows get better sponsors (which is where all shows not on premium channels or PBS get almost all their income), and better sponsors are richer sponsors.

Thus, when a show gets popular, it can afford to make better shows. Even cartoons.

- Venusaur

Hanada Tattsu
12th June 2003, 07:08 PM
Yes, I can explain that. As shows get more popular, their budget gets higher.

See, when a show is successful - like Pokemon has become - its central network pays more attention to it, and gives it more of a percentage for its production. Also, successful shows get better sponsors (which is where all shows not on premium channels or PBS get almost all their income), and better sponsors are richer sponsors.

Thus, when a show gets popular, it can afford to make better shows. Even cartoons.

- Venusaur

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

Well, Pokemon's sponsors have never really gave it what it deserves - Pokemon 4 and 5 come to mind - but I see what you mean.

AKA Pokemon Fan
12th June 2003, 08:22 PM
I say the reason the Pokemon movies have done so poorly in America and elsewhere outside Japan has to do with the public perception of it being purely "kiddy," bad advertising, and making it too much of a gimmic.

Indeed that is the worst problem in that the people in charge of advertising and marketing here treat Pokemon movies like game-gimmic advertisements and so little attention to the deeper meanings and morals in even the dubs. Contrast this with Japan, who treats Pokemon with respect as a true anime, where even now thousands of tickets have been brought in advance for it.

But alas, its probably too late for Pokemon to become extremely profitable here again. The perception that produces animosity has become too ingrained in the general public to bring about any massive change. Indeed, America is only beginning to accept anime as an art form equal with live action movies and television.

Pokemon is certainly not Spirited Away but it deserves more respect here than it gets. A reviewer in the Dallas Morning News (not the one who reviewed the movie, he liked it) upon stating how little money Pokemon Heroes was making called it something along the lines of the "fifth and, god willing, last of the Pokemon movies."

Light_Togetic
12th June 2003, 08:49 PM
AKA Pokemon Fan said it all. In fact, I can't really add anything to it because it is so true... sad, but true. I really wish that the people here in America (including movie critics) would try to be more open-minded about pokemon. But they've just gotten in this mode where they seem to think that pokemon is nothing but one big advertisement.

It's sad. You know why?? Because they don't know what they're missing.;)

Hanada Tattsu
12th June 2003, 10:18 PM
It just gets me so mad!!

I wanna guillotine all the kids who speak against Pokemon and all those crazy critics too! Okay, I'm going overboard a bit, but don't you agree? All those terrible critics are bringing about the downfall of Pokemon.

EmpressMyuu
13th June 2003, 12:31 AM
Which leads me to restating what I said before: The best critics are either no critics, or they hire kids in their place. After all, kids are more likely to give honest opinions rather than the critics of today that worship flicks such as "Finding Nemo" and their little white lies. Hmph! BLACK lies is more like it! They diss a movie for what's in it, not the movie itself.

Yeah, and they think a talking fish is any better compared to two elegant Psychic/Dragon Pokémon that have the power to "sight-share"? Puh-lease! :rolleyes: It's a shame that they burn our precious Pokémon anime with their insane and ludicrous comments such as "tedious, unimaginative". The movie took up a lot of imagination to create it! I can tell!

If they can see past Latios and Larias and especially Pikachu, the true beauty of the anime would smack them right in the head! It seems as though the only obstacle isn't Miramax anymore, since the critics seem to cut down the popularity even more. It's comments like those that influence Miramax to "save" the public from what Eburnt & Reaper (pun intended) consider to be a monstrosity. THEY'RE the monstrosity. I'm about ready to give them a piece of my mind and a fist in their faces. As many of us agree, Pokémon isn't just a fad, but a work of art.

Dark Sage
13th June 2003, 03:56 AM
Critics can be incredibly stupid.

I remember once when The Fellowship of the Rings came out; most critics loved it (it received many Oscar nominations and won a couple, after all), but one radio critic called it "A blatant rip-off of Star Wars."

That's what he said.

Hey, I like Star Wars; but you'd think someone would have told this idiot that the "Lord of the Rings" novels were written when George Lucas was in grade school, and that they came first.

My advise is, don't listen to critics - use your own judgement.

Unfortunately, people's own judgement made that stupid Jim Carrey movie (what was it called? Bruce Almighty?) a semi-success. (I doubt Dumb and Dumberer will see the same success - the first one was awful enough.)

But don't listen to critics. As I've said before, lots of great movies, mostly sci-fi/fantasy (including Raiders of the Lost Arc, Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan, and almost every Star Wars movie) got bad reviews.

That having been said, I must admit that I kind of liked The Powerpuff Girls movie.

- Venusaur

Legends-Kuja
13th June 2003, 01:02 PM
Dude, I LIKED Bruce Almighty!

But maybe Ninty should offfer us angry teenage Pokemon fanboys/girls free downlaods of the movies, lest we be shot for trying to watch it in public.

*sigh* I'll just cheat and DL the DVDrip...

Oh, and I'm integrating Pokmeon Heroes into my Darkness Hearts fic... that might cheer me up.

Misty
13th June 2003, 01:03 PM
Buy the vid, woman >:O

Legends-Kuja
13th June 2003, 01:31 PM
I'M A GUY!!!

Misty
13th June 2003, 01:51 PM
Hey, so am I :O

Dark Sage
13th June 2003, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry, but I not only think that Bruce Almighty was dumb, but that it was a blasphemy.

But that's besides the point. There's no law against us going to see Pokemon movies, and the Constitution says we can watch any movie we want! I may not like Bruce Almighty, for example, but I'm not saying that people shouldn't see it. Movie producers have the right to make movies, and citizens have the right to see them. The First Amendment says so.

Sadly, that means critics also have the right to publish whatever reviews they want. On the other hand, if they tell us not to watch it, we do NOT have to do as they say. I'd tell such a critic, "@#$% you! I like pokemon, and I don't care what you say about it!"

There, now I feel better.

- Venusaur

EmpressMyuu
13th June 2003, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry, but I not only think that Bruce Almighty was dumb, but that it was a blasphemy.

But that's besides the point. There's no law against us going to see Pokemon movies, and the Constitution says we can watch any movie we want! I may not like Bruce Almighty, for example, but I'm not saying that people shouldn't see it. Movie producers have the right to make movies, and citizens have the right to see them. The First Amendment says so.

Sadly, that means critics also have the right to publish whatever reviews they want. On the other hand, if they tell us not to watch it, we do NOT have to do as they say. I'd tell such a critic, "@#$% you! I like pokemon, and I don't care what you say about it!"

- Venusaur

That's just the sad part about it. Too many people believe in the critics' comments and opinions and it's people like them whose reviews absorb citizens' minds so much that they think Pokémon is an abomination.

I don't.

Of course, not all people are like this. My brother is 23 years old and isn't really into Pokémon, so if I were a movie critic and I still gave Pokémon Heroes that outstanding 10/10 rating, he still probably wouldn't go see it. But I like that. If people were more like my brother and me and didn't listen to the critics, well, Pokémon would probably have thousands more fans.

Legends-Kuja
14th June 2003, 07:01 AM

- Venusaur

That wasn't my point. That's true, too but that same amendment allows for morons to never allow us to show our faces in public again, lest we be humiliated. My parents despise video games IN GENERAL as well as Pokemon, they'd laugh at the suggestion of seeing such a movie! Hihg school... I dunno, they're less mindful, but my parents....

ShockingAlberto
14th June 2003, 08:11 AM
I proudly sit in class and play my copy of Sapphire. ^_^

I went to see Pokemon Heroes with my girlfriend (one of those "doesn't know how hot she is" kinda girls), so I wasn't embarassed at all. She loves Pokemon, so she was really excited I found a Theatre that played it.

So, yeah. I don't care who knows I like Pokemon. I run an anime club and placed first in a Smash Bros. tournament - the boat has long sailed on the "geek" issue.

-- ShockingAlberto

Hanada Tattsu
14th June 2003, 09:31 AM
Well, in junior high school, people make fun of me just because I like Pokemon.

I read my Japanese film comics in class, and everyone looks over my shoulder and points and laughs at me. It's really annoying and I've just gotten used to it.

Pichu Luver
15th June 2003, 11:57 AM
EmpressMyuu I appreciate how you email/mailed 4Kids and Miramax(and all those other people who did too) but you all are forgetting something. Be glad it is even showing SOMEWHERE in the US. I live in Canada and I doubt it will be shown here I missed Pokemon 4-Ever because it didn't show here. I was really sad because I couldn't find a theater showing it for May 16. I looked on Famous Players and *thank goodness* it said it was coming out in theaters JUNE 16. -.-''''''' I havn't found a theater on the website showing it tho -.-'' *hopes they don't show the theaters it's playing at until it's offical release date* I feel even sorrier for the people in Europe because they have almost NO chance to see it. I'm going to bang my head against a wall if it doesn't come out in a theater near me tommorow. *sighs and prays*

~Pichu

EmpressMyuu
15th June 2003, 08:25 PM
One of the members mentioned to tell them how it wasn't showing anywhere other than the U.S. and I put it in as a P.S. Don't you worry your pretty little head.

And if it still doesn't show in other countries like Canada, the war's just getting started, isn't it?

Hanada Tattsu
16th June 2003, 07:49 PM
One of the members mentioned to tell them how it wasn't showing anywhere other than the U.S. and I put it in as a P.S. Don't you worry your pretty little head.

And if it still doesn't show in other countries like Canada, the war's just getting started, isn't it?

Yeah, the main goal is for it to show everywhere, like the first three movies.

Dark Sage
17th June 2003, 08:37 AM
People here might find some consolation that Rugrats Go Wild is not doing any better in theaters than Pokemon Heroes did; this weekend, it came in #6.

Of course, Finding Nemo is doing pretty well, but any movie made by Disney is bound to.

- Venusaur

Hanada Tattsu
17th June 2003, 06:31 PM
People here might find some consolation that Rugrats Go Wild is not doing any better in theaters than Pokemon Heroes did; this weekend, it came in #6.

Of course, Finding Nemo is doing pretty well, but any movie made by Disney is bound to.

- Venusaur

Finding Nemo only did well for two reasons: 1) the name: People like Disney/Pixar films so they will take the kiddies there no matter what the cost and 2) it did a heck of a lot more advertising than Pokemon Heroes or Rugrats Go Wild.