PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't there be a rule against this?

Darien Shields
16th May 2003, 05:20 PM
Okay, 2ra, author of 2ra, journey through Hoenn, has been adding people on AIM (three or four at last count) and asking them to read his fic, out of the blue. Maybe it's our own fault for putting our AIM names up in our profiles, but I still feel situations like this should be covered by the rules. It's annoying to say the least.

If anyone else has had the same treatment from 2ra, please reply so that I can get a better idea of how many people he's been trying it on.

The Rusted One
16th May 2003, 10:30 PM
So far I haven't had that problem - but I don't think it warrants a rule on here. What people do in AIM conversations is their business, even if it involves a particular feature of a particular forum community. Yes, 2ra perhaps shouldn't be doing this - but if it upsets you, use the "Warn" feature, and then block him/her.
You should also bear in mind that his/her actions are going to make him/her unpopular in AIM conversations, and will make people think, "no, I won't read his/her story", and so, in the end, 2ra will be the one losing out. It may be annoying, but I don't think it warrants a rule, as such. Perhaps there can be an attached obligation not to do what 2ra is doing, due to the annoyance factor, but I don't think an entire new rule needs to be made and enforced.

Neo-Xantios
19th May 2003, 07:54 AM
You're absolutely against 2ra, aren't you, Darien Shields. I've seen your replies to 2ra's post. Oh yes, to answer your question: No, the rule is unethical. If he's/she's annoying you, just block him/her, like TRO said.

Darien Shields
19th May 2003, 08:02 AM
No, I don't have anything in particular against 2ra, my posts in his fic are merely of curiousity as to what makes a popular fic (As I find the fic itself, rather un-readable.) This particular post is because I don't want wave after wave of writers of such fics addign me and asking me to read, or bothering me endlessly. I guess I can see your PoV, but... grr, it's just annoying.

The Rusted One
19th May 2003, 06:57 PM
Perhaps you could just remove your AIM ID from your profile, and only give it out when people ask? People DO ask - it won't be as if taking that out of your profile will result in complete isolation from eveyone else here. That way, you can decide who gets your ID, and so control who contacts you on AIM.

Psi Yamaneko
20th May 2003, 05:37 PM
We don't govern off-site activity. But if worse comes to worse you can always block him, yes? ~_^