PDA

View Full Version : Why god? Why!!! DBZ news

Kinglerlord2
16th December 2002, 07:57 AM
The world has come to an end... I knew this was coming, I just prayed that it wouldn't. This is probably old news for some since it occured in march but it's new to me and I want to hurt myself after reading this.

http://sneakpeek2.tripod.com/biggamehunter/id54.html

I can't find much more info than that. The official DBZ site has a wee bit of news on it too but it essentially says the same thing.

DarkTemplarZero
16th December 2002, 03:02 PM
OH THE HORROR!!! I'm gonna die, Fox making a live-action Dragonball movie?!?!?!?! Great, now they're gonna **** it up just like they did to Harry Potter! Fox doesn't know **** about Dragonball o.O they can't even tell the difference between DB and DBZ. That Seishura whatever dude should die!

Ultimate Charizard
16th December 2002, 06:16 PM
this is old news, weve known aboutthis for months.

Rhumours are flying for cast members...

Apparently

Robin Shou (Lui Kang -Mortal Kombat films) As Goku
Jackie Chan as Vegeta
and...
....Leonardo de CRaprio as Mirai Trunks...oh the horror

Pokemaster Cody
16th December 2002, 07:32 PM
Jackie Chan as Vegeta!? F***! The world is really going to end now. I've heard about this for half a year. Nice pics.

kalad1
16th December 2002, 08:19 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem, pardon my scream. but, JACKIE CHAN as VEGETA?! he doesn't have a voice good enough for VEGETA THE PRINCE OF ALL SAIJIANS!

Rocketlex
16th December 2002, 08:20 PM
Jackie Chan??!?!! Why not just cast Danny DeVito as Krillin?

DarkTemplarZero
16th December 2002, 08:57 PM
Jackie Chan as Vegeta doesn't even compare to Decaprio as Trunks. WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next thing you know they'll have Tom Cruise as Freiza and William Shatner as Cell O.O lol

Last Exile
16th December 2002, 09:30 PM
Hollywood corruption of anime?!

SHAME! SHAME!

This is disgusting. If those people play the roles, DBZ is gonna go downhill from here. Those US people in charge don't have a brain in their heads if you ask me. Stick to the animation. Real-life and movie versions suck. Too many to count.

Ultimate Charizard
16th December 2002, 09:44 PM
Jackie Chan was chosen for his appearance and ability not the voice. Short but still able to kick ***.

There was also a rhumour they wanted him to be the 'guy in the suit' for Freiza lol.
Id say Ray Park(Darth maul) would be good, hes already got a big martial arts background, maybe as yamcha.
Nappa could be the guy that played Shao Khan in the second MK movie lol (the bald guy)

Also, as 18...lets see, Blonde, attitude, martial artist.......um Buffy lol.
Sarah Michelle Gellar as 18 maybe?

PlatinumHawke
16th December 2002, 09:51 PM
Uh, as I remembered it, the movie was for Dragonball, not Dragonball Z... Anyway, I can smell the B-movie cheese factor already...

Kinglerlord2
17th December 2002, 01:55 AM
You never know, it might turn out to be a good movie, I *seriously* doubt it but we can only hope.

As far as I know it's called Dragonball but rumors have it spanning Goku's life from when he's a child to when he has kids. How they can possibly cram that into three hours is beyond me seeing as most fights in the series take at least that long. :P

If Mr. Chan absolutely *must* be involved he'd be better as Goku, he's pretty damn goofy at times.

GreenShirT
17th December 2002, 08:33 AM
It will either be awesome or utter pap, i think Jet Lei woulda been a good choice for Vegeta and if DiCaprio is Trunks then TRUNKS MUST BE KILLED!!

Rocketlex
17th December 2002, 03:15 PM
I noticed someone say that Frieza will be played by a "guy in a suit." I have only one thing to say about the image that gives me:

GO GO, POWER RANGERS!

Ninetales3001
17th December 2002, 03:23 PM
This would actually be pretty cool in my opinion. The guy who played Lui Kang in the mortal combat films is quite hot :D Jackie Chan would make a wicked Vegeta. Leo as trunks.. i would hardly doubt that leo would ever be in this kind of movie, but u never know!

Master Rudy
17th December 2002, 06:50 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I've been looking forward to this for quite some time now. They do have AT working on it from what I hear so perhaps it won't be as bad as people are thinking. As far as casting rumors and our opinions go:

Robin Shou as Goku:
I think this will be one of the better picks if it happens. I've been saying for a long time that either him or Jackie Chan as Goku would work out perfectly. Speaking of Chan.....

Jackie Chan as Vegeta:
As much as I like him I have to say no on this one. I'd prefer Jackie playing Goku if Robin Shou won't do it for some reason.

Jet Li as Vegeta:
My personal favorite pick for Vegeta. He doesn't play villians often but when he does he kicks @ss! Also later on when Vegeta joins Goku and company I think it'll still work out great. It will be intresting to see how he would handle this role.

The Fruitcake (AKA Leo) as Mirai Trunks:
Every DBZ fans worst nightmare come true. Trunks may be a pretty boy but this is the worst choice ever. Of course it could still work out. Considering the fact that Trunks dies at the hands of Cell it would give me another chance to watch Leo die in a movie yet again! But seriously they do need someone that looks the part. Leo fits that but the problem is they also need a person that can fight.

Now here's some you guys may not have heard about......
Vin Disel as Frieza:
I'm still trying to find this one for myself. Anyway I've heard from some friends that he is being considered for the part. This could be yet another role that may work if done right.

The Rock as Cell:
As much as I love Rocky and as amusing as it might be to see Cell do the People's Eyebrow I just don't see it happening. Anything is possible but still. The Rock? XD

Finally the one role that I have to agree with Gav (UC)about:
SMG as Android 18:
Hell yeah! I've been saying this for the longest amount of time. I know there will be people that are going to disagree but I think she would be the prefect 18. She's got the looks for the role and anyone that has seen Buffy knows she can fight. Add in some special effects and maybe a little bullet time and you've got one hell of an 18 for a live action DBZ film.

There's my opinions on the rumored people for certain roles along with what some of us have said. As I have told many people this film could work out but only if it's planned correctly. Several years ago it might have been almost impossible to pull off a live action DBZ. However with AT on the team this does have potential. It could still bomb but I do have faith in this film. All they need to do is focus on the story and try not to go overboard with the special effects. IMO this will go down the tube once Fox decides to turn it into your typical action film with no story whatsoever. Let's hope it doesn't go in that direction ^_~

RedStarWarrior
17th December 2002, 08:06 PM
I agree with Rudy. This could be really good...we just have to wait and see what happens.

GreenShirT
18th December 2002, 05:49 PM
A good idea for Frieza would be a total CGI character, ala Gollum in LOTR but eviler than skeletor...

Mister Mew
19th December 2002, 11:36 AM
no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO NO :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Wrong, all wrong, just all wrong, everything about tis is all wrong. :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

A DBZ live action movie...being made by Fox... :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

It's the f*ck it up syndrome

1) Hollywood sees something very popular
2) Hollywood forces the movie rights out of the owner of said something.
3) Hollywood makes movie with all the biggest and most expensive actors they can find.
4) Movie f*cks up the entire 'goodness' behind said something and kills it.

THis is exactly what they're gonna do with DB/DBZ. Ecspecially if they wanna put Jackie Chan, Three-nipple gay boy, and Vin "dumb as a rock" Disel not to much The Crock in this movie. None of them have any right being in a DBZ movie.

honestly, if they wanna make a remotely decent DBZ movie, they first need to tell all the greedy b*stards such as Leo, Jackie, and Disel to f*ck off. They care more about money then they do about acting. Next they need to find people who actually fit the parts, not people with the biggest fan base. Look at My Big Fat Greek Wedding, it had no big actors in it yet it is one of the big movies of the year. If that chick flick could do it without any super big actors then so can this.

I mean seriously..what are they gonna do next? Cast Stallone Mr Satan, Stone Cold Steve Austin as Nappa, and Danny DiVito as Yajirobe?!?

Oh, by the way, those who keep saying 18 should be SMG...be serious. That wh*re is just some kid who lucked into a good role. She couldn't act her way out of a wet paper bag. No, if you want one of the big actresses to play 18, have Angelina Jolie(sp) die her hair blonde and play the role. At least she would play the part right.

As for Robin Shou and Jet Li..they could most likely play the roles and make it look good so those wouldn't be such bad ideas.

CerebralSocko
19th December 2002, 04:42 PM
Hi, new guy here. :wave: Anyway, onto the topic at hand...

Jackie Chan wouldn't work as Vegeta. Maybe when he was younger in the 80's, but not now. That role should be given to Jet Li, if anyone. Jet's performance in "The One" as the evil character was pretty good; he showed us that he had to skills to be arrogant, cunning, and evil, which is what Vegeta needs to be.

The one role that I think Jackie would work well would be... heh, you guessed it... Jackie Chun. Chan is hitting 50 or so soon, and I think, with a good make-up artist, he could pull off the Kamesennin/Jackie Chun role. Jackie even has Chun's eyes! :D

Robin Shou has potential as Goku, since he's demonstrated that he can do the character's serious look in the "Mortal Kombat" films. But that's as far as I know of Shou's acting skills. The question is, can he pull off Goku's naive, jovial side?

Leo as Trunks? Hmm.. well, he's got the looks down, but does he have the skills? I'm not a fan of his movies, so I'm not sure if his acting would cut. But if Fox decides to cast DiCaprio, then there goes half of the movie's budgets right out the window...

Vin as Freeza would not work. Not in a million years. I can't think of anybody that would bring Freeza to life without making the character look ridiculous, so here's what I think they should do: get an inexpensive guy with a martial arts background, wrap him in a suit, then let the CGI do the rest.

Well, that's my thoughts.

-Socko

PlatinumHawke
19th December 2002, 05:46 PM
No offense dude, but calm down. And isn't every one jumping to conclusions here? I heard of this a few years ago, and has FOX done anything? Nope. And if anyone thinks that FOX round up about 15 mega-stars for a what could wind-up a B-movie, I seriously doubt it.

Also, everyone's been saying, "Vegeta is gonna be played by X, Freezia is gonna be played by Y, Cell is gonna be played by Z" all in the same post. That can't be possible in reality. That's 3 arcs of the Z series. Think of the nightmare it'll be in terms of pacement. Alot of good OAV/Movies based off the retelling of longer series can barely maintain a pacement that doesn't go into hyperdrive, and even then they usually cut stuff out.

Even more so, everyone has been jumping to the conclusion that this movie will be DBZ. Who's to say it won't be a Dragonball movie, as in the old Dragonball? DB had more of a plotline that didn't rely on entire arcs based on one single fight.

Meh, my final comments on this whole matter, "live action", "anime/manga" and/or "video games" are generally words that should never be used in the same sentence. If Gundam can't make a decent live-action movie, and I highly doubt DB/Z/GT could either.

The Muffin Man
20th December 2002, 11:48 PM
Gee, and here I thought Frieza AND Vegeta were both in the Cell/Android saga. Whoops. I guess that wasn't Frieza in the beginning and Vegeta throughout the whole thing.

RedStarWarrior
21st December 2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
Gee, and here I thought Frieza AND Vegeta were both in the Cell/Android saga. Whoops. I guess that wasn't Frieza in the beginning and Vegeta throughout the whole thing.
Frieza wasn't in the Cell saga at all except through flashbacks....the part where Future Trunks was introduced was not the Cell saga. They did coexist after the Cell saga in HFIL which would be an awsome part to show.

Anyway, to Mister Mew....you do realize that AT has expressed that he would love for it to be made meaning they didn't force the movie rights out of him....plus he would be working on the movie as well to keep it correct. Not everything Fox does is crap.

Master Rudy
23rd December 2002, 04:59 PM
While they are not many details about the film out at the moment I will say one thing. The more I think about it the more I get the feeling this is going to turn into a Cell Saga film rather than go from the start of Z. Think about it. Unless this is being planned as a series of films with one movie for each saga then there is no reason to start casting everyone at once. If they started with the Saiyan Saga then I would highly doubt Fox would have reason to cast Trunks, Cell, Android 18, ect. In other words if my guess is correct then this is going to be a film made just 'for the fans' leaving all the non DBZ fans somewhat lost as to who the hell half the characters are. Of course I could be wrong and Fox might be planning to try to cram everything from the Saiyan Saga to the Cell Games in one two hour films. If that were the case then I'd have to question what they are thinking. However I say for now everyone should just sit back and see what happens. With them looking into those roles I'll be quite surprised if it's not a Cell Saga movie or just a ton of planning ahead for a series of films that might get made all at once ala LotR.

Classic Blow Me Up GM
23rd December 2002, 07:58 PM
I don't think they would do Dragon Ball, it wouldn't keep the little kids attention on it with it having a plot and without all the consant fighting. They'll most likly start from Sayian Saga and work to the Cell or Buu Saga.

As for actors, I don't care, I won't go see anyway. I all I've got to say is, If they have Cell, Frieza, or Buu, FOX should have them as CGI.

As for plot of the story, I'll just become one 2 hour long fight(which is, in a sense, the plot of DBZ) which will be shameful to DBZ(as if it already isn't), but the little kiddies will love it. Even with AT there, FOX will manage to turn it even crapper.

--Zaku II--

PS- if you didn't catch the hint, I'm no fan of DBZ(with the exception of the Buu Saga), just DB.

The Muffin Man
24th December 2002, 09:24 PM
the Android saga is part of the Cell saga. Did you actually think they ended the Namek saga before leaving Namek? It's simply a saga in a saga.

and yes, Fox DOES have the amazing ability to turn much of what they turn into to crap.

Asilynne
29th December 2002, 04:44 PM
Theyre probably going to make some f-ed up movie thats only BASED on the characters and basic plot of DBZ. I dont know if anyone else knows this, but when I was looking around Suncoast a while back, I came across an old B movie called Dragon-something I forget -.-() But the basic plot was a bunch of warriors from another world having to collect all seven 'dragon jewels' and what not....sound familiar? I looked at it and cracked up because it looked so lame, it was made by someone who loosely based it on DBZ but they didnt get the rights to it so they had to change all the names. I was going to buy it cause it was only 10 dollars but then I thought, 'theres a lot better stuff I could buy for 10 dollars ^-~'. If your curious you could try looking around Suncoast or asking them about it, I dont know if they still carry it because its so lame but they do special orders.
So anyway, this new movie cant be as bad as that one was, because at least we have computer animation now instead of smoke and wires and stuff. Still, even if they DO make that stupid Difaggyo as Trunks, Ill go watch it, if only to stand up and Shout, "Leo SUCKS!!!! TRUNKS ISNT GAYYYYY!!!"
Dont be suprised to hear if I get thrown out of the theatre!

Metal Claw
30th December 2002, 11:33 AM
I don't like this idea about DBZ becoming a live action movie....It's manga and anime, and the movie should stay as anime! However if this monstrosity of a movie shall occur...I think Robin Shou and Jet Li could be Gokou and Vegeta, respectively. However all of the other casting roles I've heard scare me.....

I hope this movie is canceled or somethin'....

so fly supersky
2nd January 2003, 11:14 PM
I really don't care about it being made into a live action movie. This kind of franchising and marketing has been going on for years, it's pointless to throw a fit. Just hope it comes out decent enough to enjoy. I enjoy some cheese every now and then.

They shouldn't spend any money on big name martial artists for this movie, simply because DBZ really isn't about martial arts. Sure, that appears to be martial arts oriented but it's really about brawling and superpowers. If you practiced martial arts, you'd realize none of the characters have good form or efficient moves, it's kiddie stuff. In real life Goku would break his neck and spine if he rammed someone with the top of his head and his jump kick is pathetic. What good would Jackie Chan's or Jet Li's gravity defying and speedy moves do if special effects have them flying and moving at superspeed in the movie anyhow? Brawny no name actors would be the best idea.

Zach Starmourn
3rd January 2003, 01:30 AM
Well... that is disturbing. DBZ should stay as an anime (or CGI movie at the most), but never live-action. I really don't have much to say except... okay, I don't have anything else to say besides...

Let's hope they don't get the people who dub the anime (not the company, just the people in general), to write the script.

NeoGligarGuy
4th January 2003, 05:07 PM
My ideas for the cast would have to be:

Robin Shou- Goku
Jet Li- Vegeta
A bald Jackie Chan- a goofy Krillin
Steve Austin or Goldberg- Nappa
Jean Claude Van Damme- Cell
CGI with non-girly voice- Frieza
Steven Stegall(sp?)- Radditz
Vin Diesel- Android 16
Leo Dicraprio- Android 17
Shaquille O'Neal- Piccolo
Sarah Michelle Gellar- Android 18
Jennifer Love Hewitt- Bulma

I'll think of other characters later.

Ultimate Charizard
5th January 2003, 02:26 AM
Actually for Bulma id say Jamie Lee Curtis.

Theyre both somewhere in their 40's and still manage to look quite hot.

The Muffin Man
5th January 2003, 04:26 AM
ummm...Jamie Lee Curtis is a hermaphrodite o_O;

Really. Quite disturbing

Otaku
18th January 2003, 07:47 PM
It's true because i've heard else where about something of the sort

pokefreak04
1st February 2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by NeoGligarGuy
Robin Shou- Goku
Jet Li- Vegeta
A bald Jackie Chan- a goofy Krillin
Steve Austin or Goldberg- Nappa
Jean Claude Van Damme- Cell
CGI with non-girly voice- Frieza
Steven Stegall(sp?)- Radditz
Vin Diesel- Android 16
Leo Dicraprio- Android 17
Shaquille O'Neal- Piccolo
Sarah Michelle Gellar- Android 18
Jennifer Love Hewitt- Bulma

Should be more like this:
Goku:Robin Shou
Vegita-Jet Li <sorry Jackie, but Jet has the arrogance!>
Krillin:Danny DeVito<that would be histarical! Did you see him in Goldmember? lmao>
Nappa:Goldberg
Cell:No idea
Frieza:Again, no idea
Radditz:Once more, no friggin clue
Android 16:Vin Diesel <give him a red mohawk and he will do>
Android 17:Definetly NOT DICAPRIO!!!!!!! Only if he drops dead in the first 30 seconds!
Android 18:Sarah Michelle Gellar <shes hot like 18 and she can kick major *** like 18, so why not?>
Piccolo:Shaquille O'Neal <roflmao I would have never thought of him as Piccolo!>
Bulma:Jennifer Love Hewitt
Chichi: Pamela Anderson <Goku needs a hot wife!>
Buu:Computer Animation, and just get someone to do the high pitched voice
Gohan:Jackie Chan <he looks a bit like Shou, so why not?>

Will think of more later

Ultimate Charizard
6th February 2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by pokefreak04
Should be more like this:
Gohan:Jackie Chan <he looks a bit like Shou, so why not?>

Why not? Cos Jackie chan is about 20 years older than Shou. Therefore playing his Son wouldnt really work. Unless of course theres one hell of a makeup artist involved.

Metal Claw
7th February 2003, 08:22 PM
Is it me? or... am I the only one AGAINST this movie???

Rei_Zero
8th February 2003, 12:10 AM
I am COMPLETELY against this. If I know American directors that want to do anime then I know they will probably butcher this to hell and further.

Andrew
8th February 2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by pokefreak04

Android 18:Sarah Michelle Gellar <shes hot like 18 and she can kick major *** like 18, so why not?>

NOOOOO! Hands off my Sarah Michelle Gellar! Off you nasty people! Off! All I have to do is kill off Freddie and then she's my wife ^^; So go away you sickos, besides, she's very selective about movies she stars in! And I know that she wouldn't be in a Dragon Ball Z one ^^

By the way, the new series of Buffy starts here in Australia on Monday, 10:30 at night ^^ I can't wait to see all the new potentials and I wanna see Willow as that asthma suffering, checkered dress, bad sinus, techno wizz, shy and reserved Willow back ^^ She kicked butt, specially with her vs Faith part in Graduation Season 3.

Anywhoo..... I don't think a DBZ movie would hold up, cause come on, it DOES have a lack of tention, mainly cause its stretched so thin its like glad wrap. But thinner! Anywho... SMG is not going to be Android 18! Nooooooo!

Final Starman
8th February 2003, 06:57 PM
Well, it could be good. I'll just gonna sit back and wait.

Ultimate Charizard
9th February 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by OzAndrew
besides, she's very selective about movies she stars in! And I know that she wouldn't be in a Dragon Ball Z one ^^

All i have to say about that is.....
.....Scooby Dooby Doo!

pokefreak04
10th February 2003, 07:37 PM
Heck yeah, I saw that and she did a fight scene, so why wouldnt she do DBZ? No wait, she had a stunt double, but outside of the fight scenes, she would make a damn good 18!

Kallero v4
20th February 2003, 11:10 PM
I hate the fact that this movie is coming out >.> <.<
If anything however, it will raise DBZ's popularity, all the dubbies going to watch it and all...