PDA

View Full Version : One Trick Phony!

AKA Pokemon Fan
17th May 2003, 11:39 AM
The animation in this episode was great! (even though several scenes of attacks were repeated). It was great seeing the attacks tearing apart the landscape and Pikachu's Thunder on Blastoise was one of it's best yet. That was some eye popping power! :o

Not much of a story but a GREAT battle episode and great animation! I give it a 5/5 :)

We shouldn't be too surprised that that Charizard lost. It knew some interesting moves true (how can a flaming tail become solid? ) but it was pretty small for a Charizard and obviously not extremely experienced. And Pikachu's victory shouldn't surprise anyone given it had type advantage and has a huge amount of experience. Whether or not it follows real physical laws the way its Thunderbolt tore apart Blastoise's Hydro Pump was magnificient. :yes:

Obi
17th May 2003, 11:57 AM
Wow. Someone on the staff actually figured out that people like to watch GOOD fight scenes.

Now why couldn't all of Johto be more like this?

5/5.

Pidgeot018
17th May 2003, 01:36 PM
The voices of the Battle Park Pokémon were off, but it may have been on purpose since it's been shown before that Pokémon of the same species don't always have the same voice.

It was nice to see that Charizard use unconventional attacks that it can learn in the games, too.

Seta
17th May 2003, 02:02 PM
Is it me or is James a much better trainer than Jesse? Anyway...
This was one of the best episodes that i've seen in a LONG time...although i wanted blastoise to win.:(

Celebii
17th May 2003, 02:03 PM
I liked seeing Brock's surprise at Charizard's using unconventional attacks. It seems like he hasn't been keeping up on his reading.

Fett One
17th May 2003, 02:25 PM
Those battles were great and that was one extremely powerful venusaur. My only complaint with the episode is that Ash had to look up information on charizard. He has one so why would he have to look up it's information?

Crystal Mew
17th May 2003, 02:30 PM
It was a good episode =D
I liked the battle scenes....poor Meowth, he never gets to do anything, lol
And it was weird how Jesse didnt know any of Charizards moves.. o0;

James was good though :D

MatthewKetchum037
17th May 2003, 02:36 PM
That Charizard was indeed impressive, it would be a worthy member of my party. However, shouldn't Ash know how to fight a Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard by now? Even Misty said that he raised the begining form of all three. It's obvious that James is the better trainer of the two, especially since Jessie got a Charizard confused with Arbok. Pikachu's thunder attack was jawdropping!!!!!! It's about time the battles got good. I can't wait till the Blackthorn battle with... oops! I almost spolied it, sorry.

AKA Pokemon Fan
17th May 2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by MatthewKetchum037
That Charizard was indeed impressive, it would be a worthy member of my party. However, shouldn't Ash know how to fight a Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard by now?
What do you mean? It certainly looked to me like he knew what he was doing.

As for looking Charizard and the others up in the pokedex it should be obvious by now that Ash will do that even when he knows what kind of Pokemon it is. From the show's standpoint it could be he wants to see if the pokedex has updated those entries with anything useful while from the writer's standpoint they are probably just having him do it to remind little kids (and some older ones) what these Pokemon are.

Jessie indeed has a poor memory. It took her half the battle before she remembered that Charizard's classic attack is Flamethrower. At least she was smart enough to use the book when she was battling with Blastoise.:yes:

Golden Suikun
17th May 2003, 09:03 PM
This episode is now my favorite among the whole Johto series, the best (in my opinion) since that episode where Ash battled Falkner. I lived the battles between the powerful Pokémon, which is something that the anime finally needed; I think the last time I seen a battle like this outside of my Game Boy was back in Orange League! I have to agree, it was kind of odd for Ash to look up Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise in the PokéDex, since he had Squirtle and Bulbasaur before, and he had a Charizard. Another thing, these Pokémon knew interesting moves (Charizard's Iron Tail, for example). Battling episodes are my favorite type of episode, and I hope the rest of Johto is like this....

Episode Rating: 5/5
Great Job. Hope the next episodes are like this...

E-Leigh-T
17th May 2003, 11:01 PM
I cant wait to see this episode now and we get to the the episode down here sometime this week.

rebellee1187
18th May 2003, 07:42 AM
personally, i thought it was hillarious that jessie didn't know how to battle with Charizard. Seeing some out-of-the-box strategies on everyones part was cool too.
My only problem was with the ending. Havn't we SEEN Pokemon that supposedly obeyed jessie and james turn on them before? (Ultimate test, anyone?"
Still, it's been better than most of what we've had lately.
9/10

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 09:44 AM
One Trick Phony!

This episode was excellent, it was the Johto version of "The Ultimate Test", except it was much better. Seeing Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise all battle was good, and Jessie, James, and especially Meowth's disguises were hilarious! The only reason James won with Venusaur is because he had experience with his own grass type, Victreebell. Iron Tail on a Charizard was wierd, but in the game it can learn it, so I can't discuss it. A great episode, we need more like this!

My Rating: 10/10

Totodilemew
18th May 2003, 09:57 AM
I wish I had taped this episode. I saw it, and it was awesome. I say that it was one of the best Johto league battles throughout the whole series! I'm giving it a 10/10 and buying it a pizza.

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Totodilemew
I wish I had taped this episode. I saw it, and it was awesome. I say that it was one of the best Johto league battles throughout the whole series! I'm giving it a 10/10 and buying it a pizza.

LOL.

This episode is getting great ratings. I kinda wish there was a Battle Park in the game.

Entropy
18th May 2003, 11:02 AM
It was an alright episode, not too fantastic.

The battle scenes with Venasaur, Charizard and Blastoise were interesting, but did Ash REALLY have to rescan them with his Pokedex... It's like he forgot already... I bet some people will bring up the issue of us viewers forgetting, but I'll dismiss that.

I remember something Misty said once Jessies got Blastoise out. She said something along the line of: 'I wonder if Ash realizes he's battling the evolved forms of Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle? Pokemon he's had before.' Yeah, reall intelligent Misty. Duh... We already knew that, but I guess 4Kids wanted to make sure we knew about that already.

BTW, I didn't even see the entire episode but rather tuned in to the episode when Charizard. I got bored when Pikachu shocked TR...once again.

Team Rocket's Lugia
18th May 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
LOL.

This episode is getting great ratings. I kinda wish there was a Battle Park in the game.

The call it a BATTLE TOWER!

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 12:15 PM
No, I meant something like a park, kinda like the National Park in G/S/C, except instead of a bug-catching contest you battle people. Kind of like Battle Tower, except in a park or something.

AKA Pokemon Fan
18th May 2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
The battle scenes with Venasaur, Charizard and Blastoise were interesting, but did Ash REALLY have to rescan them with his Pokedex... It's like he forgot already...
I covered this already but I'll say it again. As for looking Charizard and the others up in the pokedex it should be obvious by now that Ash will do that even when he knows what kind of Pokemon it is. From the show's standpoint it could be he wants to see if the pokedex has updated those entries with anything useful while from the writer's standpoint they are probably just having him do it to remind little kids (and some older ones) what these Pokemon are.

BTW, I didn't even see the entire episode but rather tuned in to the episode when Charizard. I got bored when Pikachu shocked TR...once again.
What are you talking about? I don't recall Pikachu shocking them once in this episode. Totodile destroyed their balloon and they were blasted off by a combination Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, Solarbeam.

Hanada Tattsu
18th May 2003, 11:23 PM
Pikachu never blasted Team Rocket off. It did defeat Blastoise with a Thunder, but Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise blasted the Rockets off.

E-Leigh-T
21st May 2003, 01:38 AM
Yeah I saw this episode today in australia and boy o boy it was a good episode. I loved how they drew blastoise in this episode. Blastoise is my all time fav pokemon and it was nice to see it in the anime again. 9/10

Hanada Tattsu
21st May 2003, 09:18 AM
I still think they should have had the Pokemon be Meganium, Typhlosion, or Feraligatr instead of the usual three but oh well. It's not a huge mistake.

have a stammer
11th June 2003, 07:52 PM
great episode! however i thought if we got to see other people battling at the park with their various pokemon it would have added alot more, team rocket was good but the fact the park was closed was kind of a let down to me.

Hanada Tattsu
12th June 2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by have a stammer
great episode! however i thought if we got to see other people battling at the park with their various pokemon it would have added alot more, team rocket was good but the fact the park was closed was kind of a let down to me.

I agree.

Maybe we could see Battle Park in a Hoso episode, we could see some other trainers, like Casey versus Richie for example, battling there with various other trainers.