PDA

View Full Version : And I thought Ho-oh was hard to capture

Silent Dragonfly
17th May 2003, 03:01 PM
AGGH!! Please help! I can't capture Groudon.

Even after I got him dowm to 1HP and Paralyzed, i must have thrown 20 Ultra balls and 15 timer balls, before i ran out of revives and still he was stood there uncaptured!

Can anyone give give me any stratergys to help me capture him?

oHawko
17th May 2003, 03:16 PM
...yeah i can help u: Use the masterball

Silent Dragonfly
17th May 2003, 03:17 PM
I wanna save the master ball for rayquaza though

Agent Elrond
17th May 2003, 03:25 PM
I'll try, although I haven't tried to capture either Groudon/Kyogre.

(I am assuming you are one of those intelligent people who save the Masterball for Latios/Rayquaza.)

For starters, I have found with my previous Legendary catching expiriance (yes, I do have some,) that it works better to put them to sleep, rather than paralize. Also, make extra sure that Groudon really has only one HP. I know this sounds kind of stupid, but try it. Once when I was trying to catch Raikou I thought I had him down to 1 HP, and he kept poping out of the fast balls. Then I False Swiped him one more time and cought him on, like, the fourth throw the next time I saw him. Sometimes it's hard to tell what their HP really is.

That's really all I can think of, but do keep on trying. I know this sounds kind of cheesy, but always remember that you WILL catch that sucker . . . eventually.

Oh yes, and try not to hurl the Game Boy across the room it your frustration, that has a tendancy to make the graphics go all skrewy. (Or was that what happens when you spill milk on it?)

Wait! One last idea, if you have a friend, let them try a hand at catching the bugger. That will give you a nice break, and who knows, they might catch it for you. (You decide whether this is good or bad. I did this with my brother, and he ended up catching my Ho-Oh for me. I am still kicking myself over it.)

Joe_Feyzullah
17th May 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by cloudizme
I wanna save the master ball for rayquaza though
I captured Rayquaza only with 2 Ultra Balls.

Conn
17th May 2003, 03:49 PM
I used this:
Swampert Surf
Swampert Surf
Swampert Mud Shot
[HP: 7] (I had 5 members with me)
(Toss ultra balls)
~Later~
(Last Pokemon, Minun)
(Toss Timer Ball)
(Catch)

Try something like that.

Tallest_Los
17th May 2003, 07:26 PM
Gah! Save that Master Ball for Latios/Latias! Don't waste it on any other Pokemon! All the legendaries are b*tches to catch, but at least they don't run! I found catching Groudon hard, too, but keep at at! At stock more Ultra Balls! I think it took me like 23 before I got him.

FlareonX
17th May 2003, 07:39 PM
Stall for 40 turns then throw your timer balls. Get a pokemon that can put Groudon to sleep, then use moves that won't KO him.

MetalScyther
17th May 2003, 08:07 PM
Make sure you hold down B while throwing the ball, and then rotate the d-stick in this order, repeating, down,right,up,left...and so on. I caught grouden at near full health and on my first ultra ball doing this. Wasn't hard at all.

Kohdok
17th May 2003, 11:58 PM
My FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT rule (Except for Mewtwo, Raikou, Entie, in some causes Suicune, Latias, and Latios) DO NOT USE THE FRIGGIN' MASTER BALL!!!

Sure, the legendary pokemon are hard to catch, but you have as long as your batteries, sleep-schedule, extra batteries and Coffee can endure. They're just standing around, waiting to be caught, so never EVER use the Master Ball unless you have used all 60 of your Ultra Balls and all 30 of your Timer Ball.

And, as for that near-full-health thing on that Ultra Ball, that guy is either lying or got quite lucky. I do something like that, but it seems to always give me "Shoot, and it was so close, too," but, if I DON'T do that, I seem to have more success. Heck, I even caught Rayquaza with over 30HP left and the only status ailment was confusion from Outrage. And I'll admit that it was pure luck that allowed me to do that. the button-mashing thing is just a superstition. However, I guess I'll share a secret...

You might not have gotten there yet, but, for some reason, the Ultra Balls purchased at Evergrande City seem to be more effective than ones bought elsewhere...heck, you might as well buy them there since they're all the same price...

xvkarbear
18th May 2003, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Kohdok
You might not have gotten there yet, but, for some reason, the Ultra Balls purchased at Evergrande City seem to be more effective than ones bought elsewhere...heck, you might as well buy them there since they're all the same price...

You can't get to Ever Grande without the hm waterfall, which I believe can only be used out of battle once you defeat the 8th gym.. which happens after you catch/defeat groudon.. so it would be kinda hard to go to ever grande.

Musourenka
18th May 2003, 01:22 AM
Boost your defenses (Double Team, Barrier, Amnesia, etc) and nail them with Sand Attacks.

Keep throwing the balls. Your chance of catching them is slim, but possible. Dropping them to 1 HP with Sleep/Paralysis will bring your catching success to 4% at most.

And it does work. I caught a Rayquaza without doing any damage or status effect on it.

Green_Pikachu
18th May 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by cloudizme
AGGH!! Please help! I can't capture Groudon.

Even after I got him dowm to 1HP and Paralyzed, i must have thrown 20 Ultra balls and 15 timer balls, before i ran out of revives and still he was stood there uncaptured!

Can anyone give give me any stratergys to help me capture him?

you can use the lucky bastard method like i did.

1). start battling
2). first turn, throw one ultra ball.
3). go nuts as you realize you just caught Groudon with ONE ultra ball at FULL health.

PokeExpert
18th May 2003, 10:55 AM
I caught my Kyogre without putting it to sleep, or using a master ball. Just put it down to a little HP and trhow Ultra Ball. It worked for me. Save your Master Ball For Latios/Latias. I'm telling you, they are like the hardest to capture (In my opinion). Rayquaza, well i never saw him.

PokeExpert
18th May 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Kohdok
the button-mashing thing is just a superstition.
The button-smashing thing is not a superstition. Ever since R/B/Y Smashing Them Damn A and B Buttons made catching pokemon about 10% More effective.

andyizcool
18th May 2003, 02:03 PM
I'm using the Master Ball on my Lati@s on Pokemon Sapphire when I get it. Also Philip that Pokemon Ruby you have is a ROM wait til you get the real Pokemon Ruby to catch Groundon.

~Andrew

Gloom
18th May 2003, 02:39 PM
One more thing... if you run out of Ultra Balls and Timer Balls... this may sound crazy, but throw all the other balls you have, may the be extra Pokéballs or Great Balls or Dive and Nest Balls...

I mean, I caught Registeel with a Pokéball, and I caught Regice with a Great Ball.

But I have a question... is Kyogre easier or harder to catch than Groudon? Because I caught Kyogre with only 3 Ultra Ball tosses, and I don't have Ruby.

PokeExpert
18th May 2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Gloom

But I have a question... is Kyogre easier or harder to catch than Groudon? Because I caught Kyogre with only 3 Ultra Ball tosses, and I don't have Ruby.
I don't think so, because my firend in school caught a Groudon in like 5 minutes.

Ultimate Pikachu
18th May 2003, 03:11 PM
For Groudon, use a Shedinja and have more than 5 revives. Sand-Attack like it will be the end of the world and then False Swipe it to 1hp. Use Revives when Groudon uses Fire Blast. Use Timer and Ultra Balls when you are sure that it has 1hp left.

For Kyogre do the same without Revives and you can use Net Balls.

For Lati@s use the Master Ball.

For Rayquaza Imrison Rest and gewt it to low hp. Use Timer and Ultra Balls.

For the Regis Get them to low hp and use all of the kinds of Pokeballs you have. False Swipe is good. I used it and they were a breeze. My friend got them to red without False Swipe and it was much harder for them.

PoKe_Masta
18th May 2003, 08:46 PM
this is how i caught most of my legies....
1.start of the battle with a electric type or a poke with a sleep move.
2.atk until red
3.throw a ultra, ultra,great, great, ultra it should be caught.
keep repeating ultra, ultra.... if needed.

I did this to the regis and caught rock in a luxury ball

Orion
18th May 2003, 08:59 PM
The button mash thing is not a superstition,it works!I caught ALL catchable Pokémon just by Paralyzing and doing that trick in the moment the Ultra Ball explodes.It works so well I don't think it's a superstition,or maybe it is.

Well,catching Legendaries may seem very hard,but you just need to stay a long time,lower their HP as much as you can and then throw Ultra Balls like crazy.

I caught Kyogre and Groudon by lowering their HP a lot,and Paralyzing.Then,Ultra Balls with button trick.It took less than 20,and less than 3 tries:D

For Rayquaza,I used Kyogre's Calm Mind+Thunder(But be careful,damn Air Lock makes it as if Rain Dance wasn't there),luckily,after 5 failed Thunders,a lot of evil Rayquaza's Rest and all,I caught him by lowering it to almost red,and with my last Thunder,no Stat ailment.I was so lucky!

Regis were a joke.It took 2 tries at most,and just 3 or 4 Ultra Balls.the only troublesome was Registeel,it took 2 tries and in the 1st one,he didn't stayed after about 40 Ultra Balls!:mad:

Lati@s,I used Master Ball on both.But well,if you're lazy to catch Rayquaza or any 00ber,you may use the same technique you used for the Dogs:Bring a Mean Looking Crobat,and Sporer-False Sweeper Breloom,since Lati@ can't Roar,you have'em where you wanted.Of course,that's if you don't mind heavy trainage.

Powarun
18th May 2003, 09:30 PM
Well this reminds me when I was trying to catch Lugia, I stocked with several ultraballs, and a team which could beat it. After doing the cheating of saving becasue it was beginning to tick me off, I went on to a trampoline. There I would time my bounce witht the times the ball rolls, and most of the time it would reach 2, and I would mess up because the game didn't do what I wanted. Then after running out of ultraballs, I used one pokeball and caught it. Dang I was mad.

Um Groundom is hard, Kyroge, I recommend Net balls, they have a higher chance, and look cooler when opened

Metarubeceramon
18th May 2003, 10:08 PM
I won't say anything you haven' written here already, only one thing: he hardest pokemon for me to catch (not on R-s, but in the WHOLE game series) were the Regis. God, did I get frustrated when they would use Struggle on my Pokemon and then they would die because I had left them with barely 1 HP!! Neither Kyogre nor Rayquaza were any harder than Ho-oh, but those three mineral Behemots... wanna piss out someone REALLY good? Tell him to "keep on trying with Ultra balls, I caught it in m first try!!!" Ugh...

Kohdok
18th May 2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Metarubeceramon
I won't say anything you haven' written here already, only one thing: he hardest pokemon for me to catch (not on R-s, but in the WHOLE game series) were the Regis. God, did I get frustrated when they would use Struggle on my Pokemon and then they would die because I had left them with barely 1 HP!! Neither Kyogre nor Rayquaza were any harder than Ho-oh, but those three mineral Behemots... wanna piss out someone REALLY good? Tell him to "keep on trying with Ultra balls, I caught it in m first try!!!" Ugh...

I know...they make catching Groudon look like a piece of cake...

(good luck, kid...)

#of tries
Rayquaza: 13
Groudon: 7
Kyogre: 4 (I have both versions)
Regirock: 17
Registeel: 16
Regice: 2 (I had a lot more experience from the other Legendaries...and luck)
Latios: 10 encounters (12 if you include the two times I ran into it (Without Repels) while I was trying to level up some low-level pokemon. Gave up and brought in another Master Ball. Wasted the first one on a Relicanth...*Sob*...)
I have yet to try to catch Latias...

I was mentioning the Ultra Balls at Evergrande on general principals. I know that he won;t be able to get them before Groudon, but they can be used on all of the others.