PDA

View Full Version : Contests FAQ (unofficial for the time being)

Azura Stardust
16th December 2002, 09:45 AM
before I start on anything - to the mods: Sorry if I didn't ask your permission for this :( You guys went offline and then I thought hey maybe people might want to know about COntests and rather than getting the FAQ too clogged up with contest questions, why not have a FAQ? I can't contact you tommorrow and the day after, btw, because I've gotta stay over at my cousins house... for 2 days, yes :\ and she has great net and stuff, but if my mum finds out about it she'll grab the chance to say I'm addicted to the computer and she'll ban me from it. :< anyway, I'm just putting this here first... I really hope you don't mind... if you want to, stick it, ...and on second thought, the FAQ isn't that clogged up with Contests FAQ, but what the hey. :wave:

Besides I thought I'd share what I found out (though I think quite a number of people know... it can get a bit confusing for the people who don't) (The first part most may know, but maybe other parts they don't... and parts I don't, others can help! Not like I'm some all-knowing amazing wonderqueen goddess R/S 1337 d00d3773 or something...) its very much appreciated, btw, if anyone could correct mistakes I make. I'm only 13... and it's here x_o

NOTE: If there are some words in the FAQ that appear as these odd letters or symbols, in your Internet Explorer go to View>Encoding> and get a Japanese encoding. If you're using Netscape, too bad I don't know how to make you view Japanese characters. =P

Contests!

1. BASICS of CONTESTS

1.1 How do I enter a contest for the first time?
You have to go to SHIDAKE TOWN (which is the town west of the Electric Gym city, Kinsetsu City) and talk to the woman behind the counter. Just say yes to whatever she says and she'll explain the rules, which are as follows: (with a bit of adding in by me)
1.2 How do I play?
Go to a CONTEST HOUSE and talk to the woman behind the counter. Choose your type of contest and then start contesting! Contest houses are distinctive red houses with flat grey roofs with little indentations in them. The door is blue and has a white pokeball with a red ribbon printed on the door. If you still can't identify it.. geez.
There are only 4 Contest houses in the entire Houen, namely at SHIDAKE TOWN [シダケタウン], KAINA CITY [カイナシテ] (city with a big beach just south of it and a market in it as well), HAJITSUGE TOWN [ハジツゲタウン](the northernmost little blue dot if you see your map in your PokeNavi - this town is near the north end of the Sandy Cave Where You Save A Scientist From Team Rocket and west to the patches of grass with ash on them where you can find Sandshrew) and MINAMO CITY[ミナモシティ] (accessible somewhere late-ish in the game, has a big pokemart and the biggest Contest House)
1.2.1 Types of Contest
There are 5 kinds of contest:
Coolness (かっこよさ) which is associated with the colour Red (note on these colours: they help you throughout the process of preparing your pokemon for a contest, because you can identify moves and poroks associated with a certain 'stat' - i.e. coolness, beauty, strength, etc. - and it makes things a lot easier.)
Intelligence (うつ・しさ) which is associated with Blue
Cuteness (かわいさ) which is associated with Pink
Beauty (かしこさ) which is associated with Green
Strength (た・ましさ) which is associated with Yellow

1.2.2 Stages of the Contest
There are 2 stages to the contest, in which you compete with 3 other people to win.

The first part, you show your pokemon to the audience and based on the number of hearts you see popping up from the audience, your pokemon gets a better rating in the end. Feeding your pokemon certain poroks according to the contest will help. This is explained later in the FAQ.

The second part, you show off your pokemon's moves. Going by how many hearts appear after you show off your move, the scale underneath goes up. The blue-highlighted little panel displays your pokemon's information and status in the competition, etc.

You can show your pokemon's moves off 5 times, and after that, they will tally the results and you will come to a screen where they will list each pokemon. First, they will show the results of the 1st stage on a bar. Then, they will add on the results of the 2nd stage and the pokemon who has shown off the best wins the contest. If you win, your pokemon will be shown and confetti will fall. You will then go up to one of the judges and receive a ribbon for your pokemon. I'm not entirely sure what this does, but there's a section of the FAQ for ribbons...

1.3 I can't enter my pokemon into any contest! Why?
See if you didn't do as what 1.1 up there says. If you already have, you should be able to enter any of your pokemon into the contest at SHIDAKE TOWN. When you talk to the woman behind the counter and she talks a bit and then the pokemon you are carrying are brought up on a new screen with words next to them, you can instantly know which ones can be entered and which ones can't - Can be entered is でらわます. Cannot be entered is でらわません. SHIDAKE TOWN is a type of beginner's contest house, where any pokemon can go in. HOWEVER, for later contest houses, If You Want To Enter A Pokemon Into The Contest There, That Pokemon Needs To Have Won A Contest At The SHIDAKE TOWN Contest House And Preceding Contest Houses. What do I mean by preceding contest houses? Take a look at the "contest house" section of the FAQ.

2. CONTEST HOUSES
2.1 Where are they?
Contest houses are distinctive red houses with flat grey roofs with little indentations in them. The door is blue and has a white pokeball with a red ribbon printed on the door. If you still can't identify it.. geez.
There are only 4 Contest houses in the entire Houen, namely at SHIDAKE TOWN [シダケタウン], KAINA CITY [カイナシテ] (city with a big beach just south of it and a market in it as well), HAJITSUGE TOWN [ハジツゲタウン](the northernmost little blue dot if you see your map in your PokeNavi - this town is near the north end of the Sandy Cave Where You Save A Scientist From Team Rocket and west to the patches of grass with ash on them where you can find Sandshrew) and MINAMO CITY[ミナモシティ] (accessible somewhere late-ish in the game, has a big pokemart and the biggest Contest House)

2.2 What's in them?
2.2.1 Porok Making Machines
Porok making machines are the little grey square table-ish looking things with red dots on them. There are two in each Contest House. The blank one is for playing/mixing with a friend (needs link cable) and the other one is for playing/mixing with the person(s) at the table. You can only play if you have talked to a little girl in the KAINA CITY contest house and received a Porok Dispenser from her.

When you go to the machine and say Yes to all the things, the screen will change to the list of Berries you have. Choose a berry and put it in. The other person(s) will then put in their berries, and then you will see 3 2 1 Start. The dial in the middle will start spinning, and every time it goes near the dial where your name (in red) is, press A. If a red circle pops up, that means you have hit near your name. If a blue X pops up, you've hit too far from your name. If you see a red and yellow bullseye popup, you hit right on target. When you get red circles the machine goes faster and your porok is mixed faster. (The numbers at the bottom is the r.p.m. of the machine.) Bullseyes means it goes EVEN faster! However when you get X'es, the machine slows down. When the machine has finished (there is a red bar on top that will tell you how much the machine has finished mixing berries) they will show statistics of how many circles, bullseyes and X'es each person got. After that they will show each person's name and what berry they put in, and then you will receive your porok! There is a little yellow plaque on the wall of every contest house which shows the fastest speed ever in each contest house.

2.2.2 Picture
On the walls of the contest houses, they will show the latest winners of contests. Your pokemon's picture will be displayed if it's the latest one who won. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS THE PICTURE IN THE MUSEUM WHICH IS EXPLAINED LATER.

2.3 So what's those Preceding Contest Houses you were talking about?
Think of it like this, each contest house is a level of difficulty. SHIDAKE TOWN is "beginner", HAJITSUGE TOWN is "intermediate", KAINA CITY is "hard" and MINAMO CITY is "expert".

To get into each level you need to have completed the previous ones. What I mean is that (eg) if you want your Mewtwo to enter a Cuteness (ha ha.) contest in Kaina City, that Mewtwo must have won Cuteness contests in Shidake town AND Hajitsuge town. Otherwise they won't let you in! And seriously, Minamo City is the hardest to win at because there are so many more members of the audience than before and your rivals have all fed *their* pokemon quite a good number of Poroks... so watch out!

3. POROKS
3.1 What are poroks?
Poroks are made from refining a berry. You can pick berries from all sorts of trees throughout the game. Like in GSC, you can only pick a tree once a day and then it disappears until the next day. Refining different berries give different poroks. You can see your poroks by selecting your Porok Dispenser (in the Important Items folder where things like your Bicycle go)
3.1.1 What kind of poroks are there?
There are all kinds of poroks, this has not been really studied into (not that I know of). Different ones can give different effects.
3.1.1.2 Levels
There are levels of poroks which show how much they will increase your pokemon's "stat" by. There is also another number which is shown along with the little colour cubes on the bottom left corner when you select a porok. I'm not sure what this does, I think it shows how much it fills your pokemon up. Levels can go from level 11 to level 64!! (I got one once. :D)
3.1.2 How do I know what it will increase?
When you select the Porok it will show on the bottom left corner what it will increase. Whatever colour is shown, it will increase. Check what colour each stat is up there. Top of the FAQ. Also, when you feed the pokemon the porok, it shows the contest stats of that pokemon and then an "UP" at teh respective contest stat it raised.

3.2 How do I get Poroks?
You need to go to the Porok Making Machines (see 2.2.1) and choose a berry and put it in. Play the mini-game and when it's done you have your porok. It is in your Porok Dispenser in your Important Items Folder.

3.3 I can't feed my Pokemon any more poroks... why?
See your pokemon's Contest Stats by going to your PokeNavi, then the Second Option, then the First option. If you have fed it no poroks at all, ( or only like one or two) there is only one little twinkling star above it's head. As the number of poroks you feed it increases, the number of stars increases and it grows closer to it's Porok Saturation Limit. This means that you cannot feed it any more poroks. You know when you can't feed it anymore when it is surrounded by twinkling stars when you see your pokemon's Contest Stats.

3.4 Pokemon likes poroks?
This I am not entirely sure of. I know somewhere in the game there is a person who will say whether your pokemon liked the last porok you gave it. I don't know if this has any effect to your pokemon's performance.

4. DETAILS ON MOVES and POKEMON FOR CONTESTS
4.1 What are some good moves to teach my pokemon?
To answer this, you need to look at the effect of a move (contestwise) which you can do by going to the 4th page of your pokemon's status screen and pressing A on an attack. I'll explain more about what you see on that screen now.
4.1.1 Red or, as sometimes seen, White Hearts
This is the base number of hearts you will get for performing that attack. Others may be added or minused due to different circumstances. In Japanese it is アピール which, in romaji, is Apiiru or in other words Appear(ance). You can't tell from the name which attack will be good! Selfdestruct gives you the maximum of EIGHT HEARTS while something like Rain Dance will give you only two (can't remember exactly). However Explosion makes you miss the rest of your turns... so it's quite logical to use it last! I have heard though, if you always use moves that give lots of hearts, you're considered showing off too much and you lose hearts for that. Not sure about this, any clarification would be appreciated.
4.1.2 Black Hearts
This is actually, when I translated the Japa word (which is ぼうがい) online, a "filibuster" or an "OBSTRUCTION". What it means is that it kinda makes the other people lose hearts or points, or gives them something BAD. A lot of the time, they can reduce the number of hearts of the other pokemon, or they could make another pokemon miss a turn, or something like that. The more black hearts, the more evil it can do to the others! But it also means that any side effect it has will be worse... for example, the crowd may not like it much, or it dosen't give many red hearts, or it could make you miss a turn or two!
4.1.3 Move "types"
If you look at each move, it has a contest "type", i.e. Beauty, Strength, Coolness, etc... If you want to see it at a go, see what the colour of the move is (like Beauty is green) and you will know what type of move it is. Now the importance of this is that you need to know which move is what stat because it is vital in entering a certain contest. For example, my Nendooru has 3 Intelligence attacks but one Beauty attack! Whenever I enter it into a Intelligence contest and use the Beauty attack, the crowd's Excitement (see later) drops by quite a bit and sometimes the number of hearts I earn drops too! This, however, can be part of a strategy in controlling the audience...
4.1.4 When I'm choosing the moves to use for my pokemon next I almost always see a greyed-out one and sometimes a bright red one! What are these?
The greyed out one is the move you used last. Don't use the same move consecutively because you get hearts minused off for that! A red-highlighted move means that you get twice as many hearts as you usually would for that move. Thanks to GrnMarvel13 for this info. I don't know how to get a move to be like that yet... maybe it's a random thing.
4.1.5 What do you reccommend?
I say you raise special pokemon for contests (not your normal battling pokemon), eg one pokemon for Strength contests, etc etc. Hunt through all the TMs it has and all the moves it can learn (don't worry, someday soon somebody smart will suddenly start a super list on the contest effects of moves! I hear Dont' Run With Scizors is compiling one!) or has LEARNT (the move maniac in Hajitsuge town will help you do this - he in the house left of the contest house. However you need an item that is found on the shores of Minamo City to do this.) and see which attacks do what.
My Coolness Nendooru, which won at all the contest houses and quite well, had a basic starter move that did 3 hearts, and a move with 2 red hearts and 2 black hearts, Selfdestruct (always pulls me through in the last part of the 2nd stage :D) - and a Beauty move! This helped in my testing out the reactions of the crowd... so I say, you should get some good strong moves and at least one obstruction move.... but don't listen to me ^_^;;
4.2 So what's Crowd Excitement? How does the audience react?
Well, I'm not entirely sure on this. I have yet to find out more! However what I'm certain about is that if you use a move that is not the same as the contest type (like a strength move in a cuteness contest) the background goes black, funny "oops" music plays and the crowd excietment drops.
I believe that Crowd Excitement adds on to the number of hearts you have. The higher the better - and if you succesfully bring the Crowd Excitement to a maximum of five blips, you get a LOT more hearts! It helps very very much. So if when it comes to your turn, and the crowd's excitement is going to burst when it comes to then next pokemon, (i.e. at your turn it's at 3 blips) therefore giving the other guy more hearts, you can sabotage your opponent by doing a "bad" or rather, inappropriate move! Less hearts for you, but also less hearts for the other guy...!
But as I said I'm not entirely clear on this Crowd Excitement thing. Sometimes it seems to reset out of the blue! Always when a crowd reaches its maximum excitement it resets the next round.
4.3 So I want this variety of moves. But all my pokemon can learn are these attacks that do crap in contests! Help!
Well, it depends on the pokemon. Why not take a look at what it learns? Hopefully someday soon someone will come up with a list of what attack does how many number of hearts, etc, so you could refer to that... but for now, I can't help yet :( You can look through moves the pokemon has learnt before by going to the Move Relearner in HAJITSUGE TOWN after you give him "ハートのウロコを" which is "haato no uroko wo" which means Uruko of the heart. Don't ask me what that is exactly, but it's found on the beaches of Minamo quite often, I heard. Oh wait. Just checked. Uroko in hiragana means "scales". You can see what each of the previous moves' contest effectiveness is by pressing right when it comes to the move.

And if you look at 4.5.3, you can see that some moves have more potential than you think!
4.4 How do I know how my pokemon fares in the First Stage of the contest where I show off my pokemon?
You can usually gauge from the number of hearts that pops up from the crowd. You can know accurately when the results come out at the end of the contest.
4.5 In the second stage of the contest what are those little status things I get like stars and circles and X'es?
Depends on what it is...
4.5.1 Stars
I believe this adds to the number of yellow stars you get when you see the results at the end of the contests. You normally get Yellow Stars by showing your Pokemon, if I'm not wrong.
4.5.2 Numbers
This I REALLY Don't know... I'm terribly sorry... I haven't been able to decipher anything so far.
4.5.3 Exclamation marks
One Exclamation mark means that this move can make another move (which you may or may not have) do twice as many hearts. The move that can do twice as many hearts is highlighted in red (if you have it on that pokemon.) According to Dave, it lowers the amount of hearts an opponent can remove from you.

Two exclamation marks means you receive twice as many hearts as you normally would. You need to have selected a red-highlighted move to get this.

What do I mean when certain moves can make others stronger? Let me give you an example of NamaSyoMi my Namazun. It has Water Gun (4 hearts), Mud Play (4 hearts) , Mud Slap (2 hearts, 1 obstruction) and Snore (4 hearts). Doesn't look like a lot? Think again.
Now when it uses Mud Slap, the Judge says "!" and an icon flashes. The next time it comes to my round, I see that Mud Play is highlighted red. I use Mud Play, and the Judge says "!!". I get 8 hearts instead of the normal 4! And another example is in this set as well - I use Mud Play, and Water Gun AND Mud Slap are highlighted. So I can choose - and since there's a pokemon in front of me with a lot of hearts and I want to sabotage it, I decide to use mud slap. It makes the previous guys lose hearts (sometimes they lose a lot. DUnno why) and at the same time, I get 4 hearts instead of the normal 2. And believe me, it all adds up - especially if you're lucky enough to hit the crowd at Maximum Excitement when using a MudPlay-WaterGun combination! I did this once and got fourteen hearts! (In the end Namazun won all the contests like they were pushovers.)
4.5.4.1 So what moves are like this!!!
This section is hopefully going to be filled up :P You can try those I listed, as well as Rest/Snore, or Water Play/something, or Rain Dance/Water attack, or Electrification/electric attack... or Mind Reader/High Jump Kick (my Chaaremu won very easily with that set) Help is greatly appreciated, PM me or email me if you have help.
4.5.4 Circles
IThis makes prevents you from losing any hearts until someone uses a move to make you lose hearts. So you get a Circle, and for 3 turns nobody uses a move that makes you lose hearts... then someobdy does a move that does, and it doesn't remove any hearts, but removes the circle. After that you are susceptible to losing hearts.
4.5.5 The judge said this whirly greyish thingie...
If you see that, that means you repeated a move... and he takes hearts away for that! Too bad for you! The crowd also doesn't get excited over this, mind you.
4.5.6 X doesn't mark the spot... X does...
X means you lose a turn! :( If you get it, it means its because of a sideffect of a move YOU did.. Like for Explosion/Destiny Bond/Self Destruct, for all the turns after that you receive an X.
4.5.7 Wavy lines
Means that you ALSO lose a turn. This time it's because of a sideffect that someone else did!
4.5.8 An ear?!
Yep, an ear.. this means you've been affected by the Obstruction (black hearts, see 4.1.2) part of some other pokemon's attack. And this means you lose hearts!

5. ATTACHMENTS AND RIBBONS
5.1 What are ribbons?
Ribbons... are ribbons! They are attached to the pokemon that wins a certain contest for the first time or a pokemon that is in the team that beat the Elite Four, but not in the normal way - you can't take it off! It isn't attached in the way Berries etc are, it's got a special slot on the pokemon... See the 2nd page of your pokemon's status page, and the topmost, right most little thing under a yellow thing that says リボン (ribbon) - it will say how many ribbons your pokemon has. You can also see which pokemon in your box or with you has how many ribbons from what contest by going to your PokeNavi, then the option that says きねんリボン (if I'm not wrong its the fourth option, or the second one which has a red square).
5.1.2 What do they do?
As far as I know, all they do is let you compete in certain contest houses. It shows that you have won a contest at a certain house.See 2.3 for details. They might have another effect, though... why would they just make Ribbons for that purpose only?
5.1.3 How do I get them?
Win at a contest the first time and your pokemon will have them! Check your pokemon's status page (2nd page). You only get one per contest house and a 5th one from the painter (see later where I mention how to get the trainer star)
5.2 Can I help my pokemon do better with attachments?
Now this is an issue nobody has really studied on so far, but I'll give my small findings...
So far, nothing helps. Except... BANDANNAS.
5.2.1 OMFGZ! Where do you get this leet thing!
We-ell... I can tell you for sure that you get them at this brown house that's on the left of the PokeMart. You have to talk to the gentleman on the sofa in the house.
5.2.2 That bad man won't give me anything! ;.;
I really don't know what you need so that you can get bandannas from him, but I've got the feeling that you need to have won at least one contest of a certain type to get a corresponding bandanna... I'm not entirely sure, I'm so sorry, but it might have something to do with poroks, then again, it might not. I think you must have won at least one or two contests of a certain type to get the respective bandana...
5.2.3 Huh? Corresponding Bandanna? Hey, you didn't even say what these things do!
Well, there are 5 kinds of bandannas if I'm not wrong - Pink, blue, green, yellow and red. Do these colours sound familiar? Of course they do! See 1.2.1! So from what I translated (I tried many translators and babelfish did the job for once) where it says what a bandanna does, it is...
"Being able to give, when it does in the contest, than the usual it is more seen"
in other words,
"Attaching this makes the pokemon do better in the contest".
So a bandanna makes your pokemon perform better! Cool huh?
5.2.4 How do I know if I have a bandanna with me...
Here's the Japanese for the respective bandannas.
Red Bandanna - あかいバンダナ- A-ka-i Ba-n-da-na
green bandanna - みどりバンダナ- Mi-do-ri ""
yellow bandanna - きいろバンダナ - Ki-i-ro ""
Pink bandanna - ピンクバンダナ - Pi-n-ku """
blue bandanna - あおいバンダナ- A-o-i """"

6. TRAINER STAR
6.1. I heard something about the Trainer Star and the contest - what the hell is all of this?
Firstly, you might want to know what is the Trainer Star. In your trainer profile (where you see the badges and whatnot), just above the money, when you do certain things you get a star.
6.1.2 What certain things?
Well, this is a bit offtopic, but you need to
1. Defeat the elite four
2. Defeat 70 trainers (nobody, I mean NOBODY has found the elusive 70th trainer)
3. Defeat 50 consecutive battles at the battle tower
4. Catch more than 150 pokemon (200?)
5. Win all 5 kinds of contest at all contest houses and get your pokemon's picture painted in the Minamo City Museum
6.1.3 So how do I get their picture painted?
You need to get the pokemon to win at the Minamo City contest house - and win well! If you look closely when the results of the contest are released, you can see that there is a line of hearts and stars. If you get 5-6 or more hearts and a good number of stars as well (not sure about the exact amount), and you win, then, when you are going to walk out of the contest house, there is an artist who can paint the picture of your pokemon for you. He also gives you a ribbon. The picture of your pokemon is on the 2nd floor of the Museum which is next to the big pokemart.
6.1.4 Whats the point in this?
Well nobody knows yet but some say if you get 5 stars then you can get something special. Everyone is trying to look for the 70th trainer so that they can get 5 stars and see what this is. (c'mon, think of the possibilities!)

CREDITS
1. Me :D
2. GrnMarvl13 (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=21979) for info on the red-highlighted moves
3. Dave (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=18461) the stuff on When You Get an Exclamation Mark You Dont Lose So Many Hearts
4. PMK (for putting this up :>)
5. You (for reading it - and you would be mentioned too if you can give any feedback!)

16/12: I cannot finish the entire FAQ. Not even half. My mother is chasing me off (it is 11:42 pm) and I am not going to be online for 2 days or so due to me being at my cousin's house.. :\
17/12, 7:40 pm: Sneaked on in my cuzzie's house. She's just stopped watching the telly and before she starts going on her "aww man u still plai pokiman? wtf ur like uh so lame? yeah u stupid ur so lame, like... go awa-ay..." rampage... ARGH, visitors just arrived. *dashes off*
19/12, 11:19 pm: Ok, I'm back home, but I suddenly forgot what I want to write. O___o;; My dad is yelling at me to get off, sooo... I added the move relearner thing. I just found out something cool with Bandannas but can't add it in -_- Oh well...
19/12, 11:36 pm: added in what uroko means. What! Win2000's japanese typing thing is haywire
20/12, 7:49 pm: My mum is thinking of banning me from the computer for the ENTIRE REST OF THE HOLIDAYS WHICH IS *TWO* WEEKS. I am so frustrated... added stuff on bandannas anyways. and some others.
20something/12: Stuff on trainer star
26/12: Added the stuff on ! and !!s. Plus Credits.

Jodmos
16th December 2002, 07:08 PM
I was going to say this was perfect but I'm not sure if it is. :D

Anyway, I just did a search for contests because this is exactly the info I wanted. At least it explains why the move colours in the last section of a pokemon's status are what they are.

I would suggest that this should be "stickied" if it isn't already.

Personally I would prefer a seperate FAQ for all the different topics, such as contests, items, etc as the current fFAQ is pretty clogged with people asking for directions which could then have it's own FAQ.

RaZoR LeAf
17th December 2002, 06:17 AM
Azura i love you! Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! Now i can finally get poroks! But i can't get berry trees to regrow, which kinda sucks. But stilll, now i can actually work out how to do contests. Thank You!!!!!!

Kari and Mewtwo
17th December 2002, 02:44 PM
hmm this helps. although im a bit confused about one thing: in order to get the trainer star for the ontests, you need to win all the contests in each of the 4 houses.

my question is: does it need to be all on the same pokemon or can it be on seperate pokemon?

Azura Stardust
17th December 2002, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the comments. :) I haven't ifnished yet (I don't think I will for some time, as I need the ROM for a guide and I can't download a ROM on my cousin's computer) and... um, I'll just explain first, the getting your pictures painted in the museum...

You have seen the part about the "Preceding Contest Houses"? Well, it's very simple. YOu gotta win at all of them, and when you come out from the MINAMO CITY contest room, a painter will come up and talk to you and say YES, he will paint your picture in the minamo city museum. He'll also give your pokemon a RIBBON. Don't ask me what they do, really. O_o;; I guess they're a kind of thing to show "I have won contests at so many houses."

Anyway, as for using the same pokemon, it's up to you. Feeding your pokemon poroks is a very essential part of winning the contest. Now some poroks raise only one contest stat, but some raise more than that! Now there is a maximum this contest stat can reach, and it is very ideal to reach that contest stat so that you can win that certain contest. However, if you want to reuse that pokemon, go ahead. Here's an example.

You want to raise your Furaigon to be a Strength and Intelligence contest winner.

So, find out what berry gives what porok, and check them out, and when you find a good high-level porok that increases Strength And intelligence, feed it to your Furaigon until it can't eat anymore. That's the porok part done.

Now concentrate on one contest at a time. Give your Furaigon good Strength moves and win all the Strength Contests, get its picture painted. Now teach it Intelligence moves over the Strength ones and then proceed to win the Strength Contests.

Anyway, the same pokemon doesn't have to win all the contests to get the trainer star. You can have 5 different pokemon winning 5 different contests and have 5 different pictures in the museum. :)

Have I explained it clearly enough? :wave:

Kari and Mewtwo
18th December 2002, 03:03 PM
ah.. thanks for the info. i was worried for a sec cuz my mewtwo (i just had to use a code for him, so shoot me) was lacking in pink (cuteness? bah, mewtwo was never meant to be cute anyway)

btw, for the ribbon guy, he didnt paint my pokemon until i won 2 contests in minamo (thats the one with the large pokemart like celadon & goldenrod, right), which were red and green (i heard somewhere that green was strength and that blue was intelligence.. i could be wrong, though)

Azura Stardust
19th December 2002, 05:10 AM
I think you gotta win by having 5 hearts or more. You know, at the last screen where they show your rankings, there's a line of stars and a line of hearts... once I was testing out and got 4 hearts at Minamo city and the guy didn't paint my pic. :\

Kari and Mewtwo
19th December 2002, 02:33 PM
hmm.. i guess thats why the guy didnt paint my ho-oh (he won all 20 contests, and still didnt paint anything). i didnt even get a trainer star

GrnMarvl13
19th December 2002, 02:46 PM
Here's an interesting little tid bit to help folks out: If one or more of your moves turns pink when it prompts you to pick a move, the pink moves will give you twice the amount of hearts they normally would. Just thought I'd inform people, in case they were wondering.

Azura Stardust
19th December 2002, 08:47 PM
Ahhhhhhh, so that's what it means! ^_^;

What I want to find out is what are those "1" and "2" and "!!" and "star" things that the judge gives out? And the O s? You know there are those little white cards... that say X when you don't get a chance to have a turn, that have a wavy = sign if you are forced to skip that turn, and um yeah...

GrnMarvl13
20th December 2002, 08:52 AM
I can actually answer some of those:

!! means that it will double the amount of hearts you would normally get for using that move. I'm unsure of the qualifications that have to take place before it happens, though. I've used Mind Reader in one contest, then 95% of the time I'll be able to use HiJump Kick the next turn and get it doubled, even though Mind Reader is an intelligence move, and HiJump Kick is a coolness move.

O means that if someone uses a move that would remove hearts from you, you are protected from that, but usually for just one opponent's turn.

The X and the wavy sign both mean you can't use an attack, and the X usually means you can't attack for the rest of contest (you'll notice if you use Self Destruct that there will be an X on your card). The wavy sign is usually for just one turn, and is usually caused by another Pokemon's move.

The rest I'm not sure about yet, but I'm watching them closely to figure out any causes.

I'm also 95% sure I've figured out how to get bandanas. You simply have to show the guy on the couch a Pokemon that has won a contest...ANY contest (or possibly 3). He will then give them the bandana corresponding to the contest they've won. How do I know this much? I put my Bashamo in the first position and talked to him. He then mentioned my Bashamo and gave me a red bandana (since my Bashamo had won 3 coolness contests). I also tried putting my Houndour (yes, I got it through a code) in the first slot, but he didn't seem interested. Just to make sure that it has to be one of the 200 Pokemon in the pokedex, I showed him my Furaigon who hadn't won any contests...and again, no interest.

pikasaiyan
20th December 2002, 09:47 PM
Ok i know this is a really stupid question but how do you feed your pokemon poroks? i try giving it to them but it doesnt work i can only get it to attach it to them.

Azura Stardust
21st December 2002, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by GrnMarvl13
I can actually answer some of those:

!! means that it will double the amount of hearts you would normally get for using that move. I'm unsure of the qualifications that have to take place before it happens, though. I've used Mind Reader in one contest, then 95% of the time I'll be able to use HiJump Kick the next turn and get it doubled, even though Mind Reader is an intelligence move, and HiJump Kick is a coolness move.

O means that if someone uses a move that would remove hearts from you, you are protected from that, but usually for just one opponent's turn.

The X and the wavy sign both mean you can't use an attack, and the X usually means you can't attack for the rest of contest (you'll notice if you use Self Destruct that there will be an X on your card). The wavy sign is usually for just one turn, and is usually caused by another Pokemon's move.

The rest I'm not sure about yet, but I'm watching them closely to figure out any causes.

I'm also 95% sure I've figured out how to get bandanas. You simply have to show the guy on the couch a Pokemon that has won a contest...ANY contest (or possibly 3). He will then give them the bandana corresponding to the contest they've won. How do I know this much? I put my Bashamo in the first position and talked to him. He then mentioned my Bashamo and gave me a red bandana (since my Bashamo had won 3 coolness contests). I also tried putting my Houndour (yes, I got it through a code) in the first slot, but he didn't seem interested. Just to make sure that it has to be one of the 200 Pokemon in the pokedex, I showed him my Furaigon who hadn't won any contests...and again, no interest.

Ok thanks on that. I'll add in the !! thing. ^_^

About the bandannas : I have a strong feeling it's... NOT exactly that. :X Ok, when I simply talked to him, I got 3 bandannas alone... and I didn't change the order of pokemon. (I found out the names of the other 2 by cheating :D) I *think* it's got something to do if you have any pokemon who has won at least one contest somewhere... wait, actually no... NO... nonono..

The bandannas I got from the guy 3 in a row: Yellow, Red and Green.
Pokemon with me:
Pikachu (first up, max red and max green, won 3 contests)
Oosubame (max red, about half max green and pink, won no contests, max poroks eaten)
Raguraaji (hasn't touched a porok or contest)
Kinogassa (same as Ragu)
Groudon (little less than half max green and blue, no contests)
Raiboruto (almost max yellow and almost max pink)

If the guy gave me yellow because of Raiboruto, why didn't he give me a pink ribbon as well?

Pokemon that have won contests:
Nendooru (won ALL the Blue contest)
PIkachu (won 3 Strength contest)
Gloom (won one beauty contest)
Notice none of my contest-winners have won in a Strength contest. STILL, he gave me a yellow ribbon.

You know what it is? I'm almost certain now it's got SOMETHING to do with poroks. I'm just really not sure WHAT. Even then, this is pretty inconsistant..
Poroks I'm holding:
8 Red-raising and Green-raising poroks
2 Red-raising poroks
2 Red-raising and Pink-raising poroks
4 Blue-raising poroks

No yellow poroks. He didn't ever give me a blue ribbon. See how weird this is?

Now I'm going to talk to him, and see what he says...

EDIT: Ok, I transcribed what he said and here it is:
きみの ポケモン そだって ますかな? ちょっと  はいけん させて もらいますぞ! 

ふむふむ。。。。 なるほど。。。。

ふむう。。。。

わる・は ないんだが よ・もない。。。。

おやの トレーナーで・る きみの どりょ・が ひつよう ですな!

たとえば もっと た・さん ポロックを ・げるのは  どうですかな?

Translation: (the best one I could find was at babelfish again, because excite's was going haywire.)

Your Pokemon being brought up, the kana which it increases? Just a little go it is it can make point! ふ む ふ む... (step on, tread on) The extent which becomes. ふ む う (step on?) There is no わ る ・ (abuse, insult or slander?), it is is, but it is not good. Your ど り ょ ・ (effort) which is the cripes trainer the ひ seems the way! For example as for increasing many Porok how the kana which is?

Ooook.. that doesn't make much sense, but it makes SOME sense!

Now for ふ む ふ む, I translated that manually as "fumufumu" - to step on/to tread on. As for to ふむう, that is fu-mu-u. I couldn't find any meaning for that so I'm presuming that it means the same thing. However, fumuki (ふむき) means unfit/unsuitable/unmarketable... I think the "u" in fu-mu-u means "to"...

わる・ is wa-ru-ku... "warukuchi" (わる・ち) is abuse/insult/slander... maybe it means There is no slander?

ど り ょ ・ is do-ryu-ku or something like that, and it means great effort/exertion/endeavour/effort...

Can anybody make some sense of this, please? :( At least I'm sure it has something to do with poroks.

EDIT2: Hey guys! I'm starting on a Berries-And-What-Poroks-They-Give Guide. I'm going to try and see if I can get it on the site!

BTW Pikasaiyan have you taken your berries and blended them in the contest houses? If you have then go to your Important Items folder (where the bicycles are) and then look through all of them until you see one which, when you press A, comes to a screen with this thermometer looking thing that has a pokeball on top of it. your porok should be there.

Dave
21st December 2002, 06:19 AM
I need some help here... I'm at Minamo with my Lv.15 Geodude, fighting for the title in the Strength contest. I've maxed out the number of Porok candies he can eat, using entirely Strength and Cuteness rainsing poroks. His Strength looks like it's around it's max. He has two strength attacks - Tackle (4 hearts and impresses crowd), and Sandstorm (3 hearts and impresses crowd). I can't get any Bandanas, or if I got them earlier I probably sold them, and none of my TM's are any good.
Are there other ways to increase my first round score? I get no hearts from the crowd :(

Azura Stardust
21st December 2002, 07:27 AM
I think you ought to try leveling up your Geodude, perhaps. Yeah. This really helps your heart score. If you've got to Victory Road, you can piggy-back it.

Let it get to around the level 35's. (this shouldn't be too hard if you have gotten to Victory Road.) And evolve it, duh ;)

Along the way it will learn attacks. Go and check if any of them can replace your other 2 non-coolness attacks.

What you need are more powerful attacks and at least one attack with black hearts.

Then I hope you will win :) I am still trying to get this wimp of a Pikachu to look cool... STUPID PIKACHU! *kicks pikachu*

I *just* finished an entire guide on what berry gives what porok! It's really very messy, but you can find what berry you have by checking it's number and then looking up the number (you can use Ctrl + F) to see what it turns into.

Almost every berry turns into something different depending on the city. I didn't try all of them one by one at every different city, I used sound logic to figure out almost all of them. But I guarantee 99% that the info is right (that is excepting fillness levels and porok levels, of course!! I really can't be totally sure of them)!

Any feedback would be REALLY greatly appreciated! :D :D :D :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave
22nd December 2002, 02:20 PM
I've just worked out something - The single exclamation mark from the judge. When the icon in the corner is flashing (after getting an exclamation mark), you don't lose as many hearts when the opponants use damaging attacks.

Also, in one of your other posts here you said that once you win a contest the artist will just walk up to you and offer to paint the pokemon - I've just won the Strength contest with my Geodude, and nothing happened.

Kari and Mewtwo
22nd December 2002, 05:25 PM
at the end of the contest, you'll need 5 (sometimes even 6, i dunno why) hearts plus you have to win. then the artist will paint your pokemon's picture. have him paint 5 pictures to get a trainer star. it doesnt matter if its the same pokemon or not, because he painted 3 pics of my ho-oh and 2 pics of my mewtwo and i still got the star (i got ho-oh and mewtwo through a code, so dont start jumping on me asking where I caught them)

Azura Stardust
22nd December 2002, 09:48 PM
Yeah - you may have won, but you need to win well!

You should have a lot of stars and hearts.... when you go up to the ground floor then the artist will come, ya know...

By the way, the contest faq is now up on TPM's main site :) have a look at it if you want, it's easier to read.

Azura Stardust
26th December 2002, 09:08 AM
Alright! It's time again to enlist everybody and anybody's help...

What do I need?

If you see the contest faq, I updated it with information on the singular and double exclamation marks.

Now all I need is a list of moves which produce !s, and which moves get highlighted red after using that move.

EG My Chaaremu uses Mind Reader (take this as move A). Judge says !. Blah blah blah. My turn again. OMG! Hi Jump Kick (take this as move B) is highlighted red. I use it. Judge says !!. I get 14 hearts instead of the normal 7 hearts.

EG2 See FAQ for my Namazun example. Mud Play would be Move A while Mud Slap and Water Gun would be Move B.

Now I need your help to help me find corresponding Move As and Bs. Try anything and everything that works - Rest and Snore, Hypnosis and Dream Eater, Rain Dance and Surf, Electrification and Thunder, Sunny Day and Solarbeam/Fire Blast, ETC... Your help would be VERY Greatly Appreciated, and your name will appear in the credits :) So any help, GIVE IT TO ME BABEE. (uhuh uhuh)

Thanks in advance.

Azura Stardust
28th December 2002, 06:00 AM
*cough* Very embarrassing that I have to post three times in a row...

Doesn't anybody want to help me compile a list mentioned in the aforesaid posts? C'mon :( I've got school starting from Jan 2nd and I don't have time, but I KNOW some of you don't start school till the 10th or something. Everyone only needs to contribute a little...

Hm, and I just added something to the ribbons section.

www.pokeusa.com
18th January 2003, 09:07 PM
b...b...bump

Azura Stardust
19th January 2003, 12:12 AM
o______0;;;; what didja bump it up so much fer? Oh well anyways theres a tactitian topic, so ^_^

Anyone want this made into a sticky?

www.pokeusa.com
19th January 2003, 12:31 AM
make IT sticky...