PDA

View Full Version : The Viridian Gaze

AndrewPDes
20th May 2003, 04:47 PM
If you are reading this, please post a reply!

Starship Madacar IV Monday 27 June 3685

“Midnight. Dark. Everything was covered in a veil of mist and quietness. But then, eyes. Green eyes, piercing into my soul. Staring with a force I could not comprehend, penetrating the fog of consciousness and looking into my very soul. Eyes, so green, so deep, filled with an eternity of knowledge and memory, skill, grace. The creature. The Leirigate. Staring deep into my being picking out every flaw in my design. The graceful creature covered in a soft brown fur was deceptively deadly. Force surrounded it, pure force, energy, and power. It shaped this force into a keen blade, and pointed it at me threateningly.”
“What else do you remember?”
“The creature… the Leirigate… it was around 4’6”, it looked like a man, but covered in fur, a savage intelligence was etched into those eyes…”
“Tell me about the “Leirigate”, not it’s eyes.”
“Humanoid, brown fur… a long graceful tail, like a deadly whip. One flick of that tail was filled with more grace and power than a deadly assassin. Small hands, covered in the same downy fur, sheathed sharp, short claws. Teeth sharpened to a razor’s edge, and… the eyes… The eyes gave it dominance over me. I had no will to fight what ever it would do to me. The slender legs it had, it moved on them as if they were made of quicksilver tempered to the ultimate flexibility. Leirigate… such a graceful deadly creature…”
“Thank you. Your done now,” Said the Inquisitor, sending the Seer back to his chambers. He typed into his data log, a robotic skull servant hovering over his shoulder. The Seer left the room still in the haze of his dream, and the MechFamiliar watched as he departed. The Inquisitor folded the data log into its compact form and slid it into his highly decorated coat. He had been a soldier for over a decade, and as he grew to old for combat he had become an Inquisitor, and a darn good one too. Sighing, he pressed a button summoning the next seer for dream telling.

Earth Monday 27 June 3685

The boy began to lift the block, but something was odd. The teacher watched for a second, and realized he was not using his hands. Tommy always had been able to use levitation Psykey, but sometimes the teacher was still surprised at how well he managed it. Tommy lifted the block and rested it on a lofty pillar of similar blocks. Then a brutish child named Calvin came over to topple the tower but found himself lifted up as well. As the teacher walked by to the sink to wash up the paintbrushes from arts and crafts, all she had to say was “Serves you right Calvin.”

Starship Madacar IV Monday 27 June 3685

“After daily dream telling, Inquisitors must report to the Compilation Hall,” reminded a stiff robotic voice. Inquisitor Garet was already on the way to the hall, and his MechFamiliar was floating behind him apprehensively. Garet was worried because of the vast number of shared dreams, all containing the “Leirigate” and what seemed to be a warning in the form of a blade of pure force as the seers described it. Perhaps the claiming of this new jungle world was a mistake. Garet had time, so he flipped open his data log and recorded this fresh thought into the electronic notepad. He then continued his brisk pace to the crowded Compilation Hall to compile all the dreams the ten Inquisitors had recorded. 100 seers, ten Inquisitors, one ship to hold it all. After each Compilation, the data was sent to the Grand Seer for consideration. Garet knew all this, and was thankful he only had to sort through ten dreams, or “visions” as the Grand Seer liked to call them. This in Garet’s mind was all crockery. Visions. Bah.
“Only recon can provide accurate data,” thought the wizened Inquisitor.

“Have all dreams been received?” asked the Head Inquisitor in the standard closing of the Compilation. No one responded, and this was a signal that all of the “visions” had indeed been recorded and were ready for consideration. Garet was the first to stand, and turned toward the door smartly; his MechFamiliar following, recording his every move incase Garet committed treason. Garet of course had no intention of such a thing; but then again he had a very un-intrusive Familiar. This was a sign of trust from the Office of Inquisition, as most Familiars followed there “masters” everywhere, even the lavatory. Garet smiled at the trust he had earned, and began to head to his quarters to rest before the Daily Thought came on. Garet disliked the Daily Thought, which focused on Psykers like the Seers. He moved at a brisk pace, but was still caught by the annoying message.
“Daily thought for today: Trust in ones mind, and trust more in ones inner power.”
Garet winced. That was aimed at Seers, which meant the Grand Seer had probably decided that the “Leirigate” was a cause for concern. Now Seers would bore Garet even longer with the ridiculous dreams of theirs. Garet finally reached his room, and sank into his armchair, lighting his pipe and blowing hickory scented rings.

End Prolog

AndrewPDes
22nd May 2003, 08:40 PM
Whargh! still no replies?!? how can I write like this... *hint hint*

Captain Pringle
22nd May 2003, 09:15 PM
Hey, I like it so far! At first I thought this was written in journal format (which I'm not too big a fan of), but I see you're actually just inserting the time/date/location before each scene, so that's better. :)

For a prologue, it worked nicely. Just wondering, are you going to be using this pseudo-journal style throughout the fic, or just for the prologue? (Either way is cool, I'm just wondering ^^).

But anyway, storyline-wise it leaves a good deal of mystery at this point, which is cool, and leaves me wanting the next chapter of the fic so I can start to get a fuller explanation of everything. Keep it up. ;)

AndrewPDes
22nd May 2003, 09:19 PM
A reply! and by da Cap'n no less! thanks! Yeah its going to have the location and date all through the story, other wise it would be very confusing switching from earth to some bizzare planet eh? Well now i'm feeling inspired! Time to finish the first chapter!

Crunchitize me Cap'n!