PDA

View Full Version : Look to the Sky (PG-13)

Shadow Trainer Ash
20th May 2003, 07:16 PM
Well... here's a Kingdom Hearts fic I wrote up. Nothing special but... yeah

Summary: "I want to live. in a world where I'll have no other names except the one I was given." AU. Two worlds exist in one, a world for each child whom exists by the darkness. Four very different individuals begin their journey to find a Utopia of forever lasting light, falling into each other's care along the way. Riku/Sora Cloud/Squall

Author's Note: This fic has some reference to Japanese mythology, though it has nothing really to do with it in general. I mostly just took some names. ^^; Besides, I've done very little research on the mythology of Japan (only about a years worth), so I couldn't make it like that even if I wanted. But below I'll put down some things that may make some of the events make sense:

Ekibyogami - the god of plague

Takitsuhiko - the god of pouring rain

Haniyasuhiko - the god of earth

Amenotokotachi - heaven; one of the first five powers brought to earth's creation

Amenominakanushi - sky; one of the first five powers brought to earth's creation

Gaki - in Japanese literally meaning "bratty child." Though in Japanese mythology they were referred to as "hungry ghosts". They're kind of like vampires, as I've heard

For a brief summary of this fic, it basically centers on Riku, Cloud, Sora, and Squall trying to find a world of light rumored to be an ancient fairy tale. Riku, Cloud, and Sora are Gakis who are mutated physically. Therefore they are treated cruelly for what they are and their differences, though they are accepted by Squall (whom mainly follows because of his relation with Sora and developed feelings for Cloud) whom is a prince of a royal family in the poverty stricken city of Yokokuhen. He's also the steward to Sora (the son of the king of the city), and often protected him from the treatment he received within the palace walls. (Sora has only one working eye, and has a pretty much dead limb for a right arm) Cloud is blind for reasons I'm not going to mention here, and Riku is an orphan whom has been on his own since birth. Basically all the characters are thrown together (some quite reluctantly) to commence down the true road of their lives, striving to know what they'll find at the end. I'm actually quite excited about my idea, and am very proud of what I've accomplished with this fic so far. One main character WILL die near the end, although. But since I'm evil, I'm not going to mention who. ^_^ ::evil grin:: Just beware that this fic contains SHOUNEN-AI and some hints of yaoi, and if you don't know what that is, probably shouldn't read this fic. It's not serious though, I promise. This story isn't going to go above a PG-13 rating.

Look to the Sky
by satoshi

chapter one - pythagorean theorem

The Death Messenger was beautiful. Despite his wicked name, the angelic looks that surpassed his body clearly shone to the world like a gold and black angel, baring extensive leathery wings that bled from his spine and exposed his vampirism character. Though lacking grace due to the cigarette that rested limply in his teeth, he seemed quite languid and content in his position, slouching over the bench and pressing the frame of his boots to the cordon. When the train quivered, the soles of his feet would droop just a bit and slaver down the cubicle until they eventually reached the bottom, relaxing at the turf with a thud. To others aboard the train, he was gorgeously corrupted. They pointed at him, and easily did the man shake his shoulders and laugh. Looks meant nothing to him, and as far as he was concerned, people were erased doodles upon black paper. Voices was the only form of distinguished judgment, and according to the thick ebony glasses which lied limply at his nose, his pupils had gone blurry long ago. Like death he was blind.

A lustrous golden charm hung flaccidly at his neck and coiled uneasily at the chest, taking the form of a gorgeous seraph with folded wings, carved flawlessly. Clasped together, the hook on the edges told that it was indeed a locket, but by the stainless facade of the surface, could be implicated that it had never been opened. A faded inscription scrawled in the corner and kept hidden in the back, where no one but he could gain access. It was like a hidden message, a letter given by a sentinel, a sentinel that protected him from the darkness.

Prodding him persistently with the broken dowel shaft, Riku sighed restlessly and crouched in the man's shadow, remaining silent as he watched the embers die away into the ashes. He had been on this road for as long as he could remember, a road to the "promised land", where he could live in unity with others. He didn't even remember when he had commenced on this journey, only that he had always been there, taking the path leading down the endless road. No matter how far he walked, it kept growing, wringing further and further until it surpassed the world. It was endless. He didn't even remember when he had met the ****sukai "Death Messenger" Cloud either; only that he had been besides him for about a year or so, not believing in Riku's journey but going along anyway. He was rather distant though sarcastic, but by the ice that shone in his cerulean eyes, one could tell that at one point in his life he had been broken awfully; a moment in his life that would leave a permanent scar. Bearing bat wings and a streak of causing terrible calamities wherever he walked, an Ekibyogami, his horrid nickname stuck to him; though it seemed to cause him no discord. Then again, Cloud was more of a listener than a talker when it came to emotions, and silence consumed him when he begun to feel ill. To Riku, it seemed as if Cloud were almost impervious to feelings, though he couldn't comprehend of how anyone could bear to live like that. Without going insane, that is. But yet he felt somewhat attached to the blonde and suffered strong emotions for him. He liked—no, loved Cloud… but yet all his actions said otherwise. And sadly, there seemed as if there was nothing he could do about it.

In his mind, it seemed as if he wasn't allowed to get along with others.

Wavering at the touch of the rod, the ****sukai wagged his shoulders and rolled to his side, kicking his foot until he felt Riku's body compress against his own. The cerulean bulbs of his eyes burst open, and a tiny smile tugged at his lips. "Riku, what are you doing here?"

Shrugging, the hoary locks of the teen recoiled at his skull, prying his thumb across the slick surface of the dowel. Tan and lustrous, it appeared to be made out of bone and scraps of metal, blazing to the scorching horizon and beaming out his faint reflection in the sheen. According to the pastel shape of his face in the rod, his forehead was too big and his eyes too narrow. But such was the price of attempting to gain access to his reflection. But, he thought solemnly, I have a right to know what others see when they look at me.
Of course Riku knew better. He, quite honestly, grasped what people saw of him quite clearly. In legends Gakis were vampire phantoms bent on hunger and destruction; feeding on whatever their souls took element of. And, as Gaki himself, one of the Haniyasuhiko constituent, the boy felt forlorn and attached to being like everyone else in the world; striving on living a normal life where he was accepted as another being instead of a monster. Like in the orphanage before the signs began to show and the hourglass was embossed on his neck. The hourglass that showed how much longer he had to live. That's why the cloak he wore… was so vast and languid. "I came to tell you that we're docking soon. Thor Station is only a mile away." The rod slid between his knees and casually he tossed it like a grandfather clock. "We're coming into quite a large town."

Cloud's hands moved almost mindlessly across Riku's lap until his fingers handled the seize of the rod, bringing it to the earth of the train and heaving his body into the atmosphere. He looked almost ghastly under the glasses, and as he tumbled shoddily through the hall, compressed his spine to the transom breathing heavily. Eyes frozen on his figure, Riku stared a moment before Cloud beckoned his hand, grinning dimly. Casually he removed the cigarette from his lip and squashed it callously beneath his boot, stomping in all directions until only a stick of ash resided on the oak wood, faintly gleaming, bleeding till death. "I'm okay. Just a bit tired."

Riku took a deep breath, staring at his friend bleakly and drenched in somewhat doubt. Cloud got tired easily, and no matter how much the boy would try to make him lower his actions, the man was too stubborn to take back his usual antics, which usually ended in a rabid bicker between the two.

Leisurely Riku's eyebrow inclined, and abruptly did the train begin to roar, belching smog and decreasing in speed. The earth beneath his feet quivered and waved against the tracks, and gradually the wheels skid to an unexpected stop, whimpering like a trodden wolf and whistling with age and ache. At this Cloud's grin grew wider, and his arms spread with his crass voice, wobbly jumping to his feet until his position relaxed and formed an arrogant pose in which Riku noted as Cloud's way of acting "high and mighty." Sometimes he figured that Cloud was full of more egotistical thoughts than he was worth, standing there headstrong as his wings outstretched from his spine. "Alright! So, you ready to hit the road again?"

Shaking his head, Riku stared at the blonde tactlessly, waving his shoulders as his neck strained. Cloud never knew when to give up, even if both of their feet were glued to the ground in their fatigue. He was a determined soul of both destruction and rebirth, and whenever his mind was put to something, it remained knotted in chains. "But Cloud. Shouldn't we try to find a place to rest?" Cloud leveled his shaft and probed it into Riku's chest, prying it up his cape before shaking his head sourly, his incisors piercing his upper lip. Then, removing his glasses, the ****sukai looped the rims around his throat before staring at his comrade blankly, eyes somewhat astonished. Never before had he seen Riku let down a source of voyage, and it surprised him of how quickly he had done it. Headstrong and arrogant, Riku on no account put something into inoperative dealings, too pompous in himself to back down on anything. "Huh? Are you joshing me or something?"

Sighing, Riku adjusted his mantle and frivolously tossed it behind his shoulder, buckling the clasp and fastening it till the cloth turned taut. Like dove wings it fluttered, gracefully adjourning at his backside and waiting till the next time it would take to the skies. Riku always knew it was best not to mess with Cloud when he began to get sassy and impudent, especially if he was planning something up his sleeve, keeping it hidden within his eyes. Sometimes Riku would assume that he was more developed than he was, even if Cloud had suffered additional steps up the ladder through the arduous courses of life. "No, no of course not."
"Then stop babbling like a mindless idiot and let's get goin', alright?"
Baring his fangs, Riku growled deeply beneath his throat and reluctantly followed the ****sukai, lugging his eyes to the top of his head as sleep swelled within. His feet and ankles engorged frailly, and as he pushed through the hungry crowd in aggravation, felt quite evident of how Cloud was an Ekibyogami. With that retarded stick of his, he could just easily whack whoever got in his way, without the provocation of trying not to loose body parts. And truthfully, all Riku could do was thank the lord that Cloud didn't wield a sword.

"You take advantage of everything too easily." Riku probed his skull with his fingertips as he seized the rim of Cloud's cape, wrenching the man to the side as the train begun to disembark. The steps were old and grimy, slippery and caked in mud. Groaning in annoyance, the Haniyasuhiko heaved his friend down the staircase and pulled him loose, snarling beneath his throat.

"Cloud, you're such a dumbass, you know that?"

Grinning, the ****sukai laughed. "Quite clearly, yes."

The fatigue sensation swelled within Riku's eyes only completed the rank of his irritation. "I'm leaving at that. You get on in the city by yourself for a night, and I'll come get you in the morning. You'll see how much you take me for granted."

Astounded, Cloud's arms rested, shock residing in his eyes. "Huh? What are you talking about?" Cleaving his fingers through the honey strands of his bangs, he continued. "Are you trying to tell me that I can't get along by myself?" When Riku lingered upon his silence, the ****sukai's eyes narrowed, steam converting his face. "What, you think I was doing nothing before you came along, then? I was actually getting along quite well by myself. I'm a lone wolf by nature."

Hurling his cape over his shoulder and buckling it at the neck, Riku took one last look at him before traversing upon the grounds of the city in a huff, feeling granted of getting him off his shoulders. "Then I guess you'll be howling to the moon alone tonight, because you wont be seeing me till morning." His eyes nicked the sharp sheens, which crept from the midst of his cold pupils. "If I find you, that is. Besides, this journey was supposed to be mine. It has nothing to do with you."

As Riku continued on, a small figure locked onto them from behind the crevices of the cordon, his cerulean eyes batting at the sight. He could see the charm the man with the wings wore, and a once his chest flopped into ice. It suddenly hit him that he would do anything to get that talisman, and eyes narrowing, disappeared into shadows.

"And I-" Looking up from his position, Riku felt his chest run cold. Remorse overwhelmed him. Looking ahead, the silver teen stared into a gaping fissure of traversing faces, not one of which he recognized. Cloud had gone.

-+-

Closing his only eye, Sora quivered and coated his arms in his hands; regret foaming through his entrails and bubbling promptly in his mouth. His right arm lied drenched in a heavy crimson cloth, and lifelessly did it limp at his side, never budging from the spot in which it dangled. His right arm was comatose, and forever was it obscured from life.

"Father is going to kill me." His soft cerulean eye grew shallow and leisurely did his fingers probe the bandages that caked the left surface of his face, moaning crossly at the ache that seared from his fingertips. For as long as he could remember he had looked like this, born buckled in noticeable parts and hidden away from the world. Even as the prince of the Ningen Shakai of the foreign islands, he was distorted and known as a "Kuzusukeiki-gaki", which, to Sora's displeasure, gave him even more of a motive to mourn solemnly to himself every night abandoned, forlorn under the bed sheets. What was the use of being a prince, someone of royalty, when you couldn't even take your place? Let alone make friends?

Tearing a claw through the mahogany locks of his skull, the youth shook his head mentally and strained his neck, elapsing his fingers through the tiny barbs that faintly bud from his jaw. He sure hoped that it was a beard that was growing there, not just some sort of rash; but with such small whiskers, it was hard to tell if he wasn't just growing fur and fooling himself. Besides, who knew if he were adopted or not? For all he knew, he could've easily been switched at birth, in actuality belonging to some poor merchant in the east instead of the royal family of the Lords. Of course anything was possible, as he would often murmur. Especially since he didn't possess the raven hair which customarily flowed in his family's bloodline, and bore blue eyes of the sky instead of the traditional bleak gray of the earth; such where his name originated. Besides… no one else of his family had turned out deformed.

Frowning, the boy slumped to his knees and buried his face in his hands, staring at the corner where the picture of his mother had once relaxed; standing on the ancient oak desk. Accidentally had he broken the desk and shattered the picture when trying to reach the upper cupboards, splintering apart his only memory of his deceased mother. Devastated did he caress the dejected pieces of glass in his fingers, whimpering and trembling all the same. His mother had been the only one in his family who had ever truly cared for him.

"Sora? Are you in there?"

Instantaneously Sora's head burst up, his eyes maturing at the resonance of his father's deep and vigorous voice. His knuckles pounded amidst the steel barricade of the castle dorm, and soon after the door let out liberty with a thud, tossed aside effortlessly. Sora's father was an elevated, sturdy black-haired man with hard steel eyes. Even from afar he looked like an emperor, alluring to the public and strong in the arms; everything Sora wished he could be. But as Sora's shoulders sagged, his limp arm cascading insensibly, he realized how scrawny he really was. His figure and disability wasn't even well enough to become a serf in the backfields of the manors.

"Father." Sora bowed honorably to his father and plunged to his knees, stooping into his guardian's shadow. Sweat bled in beads across his body, and the heart breathing in his chest throbbed tirelessly. If only his father didn't-

"You stupid boy!" The encrusted coat of Sora's face began to pulse in agony as his father's hand socked him in the jaw, transferring his chin to the tile of the floor. His teeth snapped together, and a stream of blood dripped leisurely from his cheek. Faintly he could feel his arm twist in a bizarre angle, warped behind his back and pulled at the socket. Badly did he want to start howling to the world and understand why it enjoyed tossing him about, cry to his father and comprehend his actions towards his only son. but everything seemed so far away now, and only weakly could he pull himself up.

"You already killed her." His father's voice quarreled, his breathing growing low and thin. "And now you go and destroy even more evidence of her existence. What are you trying to do to me, boy?"

Eyes burning, Sora choked into sobs, callously coughing back his cries. Beckoning his eye, his face began to set ablaze to the tears that slavered his jaw. Soon after he had been born was when his mother had passed into the grave, and forever had his father left the blame on him. Sora himself was known as a bad omen, and nothing was there to wash it away. It was all his fault.

-+-

The town of Yokokuhen reeked of fog, a faint haze layering upon the city. Like a ghost town people walked, cold like stone and coated in ice. But to Squall, all was customary as expected, and as he skipped the cobblestones of the path whistling, his shirt unbuttoned and flapping at his sides, everything seemed good and anticipated. For a noble the streets of the commoners were no different than the drifting halls of the manors, besides the fact that the realms of the serfs were far more shoddy, caked in grunge and no where near the style he was accustomed to. He also noticed that the outside world was much brighter, a world where the sun shone like the stars and wavered upon the traversing people whom fed vividly upon its rays. Though the same in many ways, the commoners and nobles lived in different worlds upon the same earth, striving to survive and endeavoring in diverse customs. Each side held their own traditions, and the more Squall thought about it, the more he pondered of which life was better lived. They say the wisest men experience both deficiency and aristocracy before they fade from the living world.

Observers watched as he passed and gradually he replied with a beckoning gesture and smile. Dashing across the streets, he sensed the asphalt pulling at the soles of his boots callously and endeavoring to maintain him to the earth, becoming attached to his presence. He knew he looked odd, a rich folk prancing down the common streets; dressed in the elegant clothes of the royal family with an apple wedged in his teeth. But as he always thought, looks really meant nothing and it all depended of how you saw yourself, which was what created your true reflection.

Breaking into hiatus, Squall's teeth burrowed into the flesh of the apple, savoring the sugared juice of the fruit as it slavered down his jaw. Though misty, it sure was a beautiful day-showered in blue skies and spacious ashen clouds, not one tainted in age or blistered with the hatred of rain.

Grinning, Squall gnawed again into the apple, ambling forward until a certain face caught his eye. Inclining an eyebrow, the prince tossed the apple behind his shoulder and watched it stagger across the street, converted into the grungy substances of the earth. Leisurely the face turned towards the noise, his aloof sapphire eyes gleaming broadly to the opening sunlight. To the golden locks that drooled erratically from his skull, his pupils appeared almost emerald; clear and untouched.

"Did. you just drop something?" Shrugging, Squall tossed his mahogany hair and beamed, catching up with the stranger's pace as his fingers jabbed abrasively into the back pockets of his khakis. He was a beautiful man, and unique as well. Bearing two extensive ebony wings, his unique attire told Squall that he was indeed from somewhere far away, a place remotely hidden from capital walls. But as they continued to amble on, it soon occurred to him that not once during their conversation had the stranger looked at him. It was rather odd talking to someone when they didn't make eye contact, but Squall figured that it was just his way of doing things and mentioned nothing of it. Besides, it was none of his business anyway. "Are you from this part of town?"

"No. I'm just visiting." Pulling a strand of golden hair between his fingers, he leisurely tugged it behind his ear, looking fairly remorseful. His eyes seemed to wander off a bit, but soon wandered back to the earth; obscured by his eyelids and empty stare. Languidly he slouched, and in Squall's eyes his posture was horrid, a look of a commoner. It suddenly dawned upon him that a commoner was indeed what this man was, and it appeared bizarre to Squall of why such a normal face ceased to stick out like it did. "I think so, anyway."

"You think? Wouldn't you know?"

Cramming his hands into the cleaved pockets of his cloak, the blonde said nothing more and stared into the sky impassively. The lustrous chain at his neck dangled lifelessly, and brilliantly did it linger with the light. The very sheen of the object caught the prince's eye. Squall squinted and tried to gain access to the words scrawled near the locket's clasp, but gave up when he perceived it as another language; one of a diverse civilization in which he couldn't comprehend. All he could assume was that this outsider was indeed from another continent, not baring any similarities of the assorted cosmopolitan of commoners grazing the Yokokuhen streets.

"That's a nice necklace you got there. Your girlfriend give it to you?" Silence pulsed between them and the shoulders of the stranger seemed to waver, drooping low to the level of his spine. He seemed to be reflecting his thoughts leisurely, and when Squall's hand grew adjacent to the charm, curiosity stitched through his fingers, the stranger's eyes narrowed sharply and shed a composed warning growl. Ice encrusted his pupils and immediately his eyes grew cold. Looking up, Squall's chest lunged remorsefully and quickly he beckoned away, sighing as he shrugged heedlessly. Even if he didn't understand why, Squall implicated that the necklace was indeed something important to him.

"Sorry. I'm quite curious by nature, so don't mind my ignorance." Brushing the coffee locks from his cerulean eyes, Squall strained his collar and leisurely held out his hand. "Name's Squall. And you are…?"

The blue eyes stared back at him blankly, and silently his voice countered, the tension in his body unwinding. "…Cloud."

"Cloud, eh? Well that proves it then."

Inclining an eyebrow, Cloud stopped in his tracks and turned where Squall's voice was produced. Aggravation was inscribed through his eyes, and as his fingers begun to wring the stiff glasses encircling his neck, illustrated it evidently to Squall. "Proves what, may I ask?"

"That you're not from around here."

A long, meditative silence scorched between them and leisurely did Cloud's eyes compose with frustration, shaking his head as Squall whistled a snicker of mirth. "You're quite the jokester, aren't you?"

Grinning firmly, Squall entwined his arm to his chest. "Best in my class."

"I bet you are." Cloud embraced his wings to his spine and began to dissociate from the conversation, trudging almost mindlessly and practically tripping over his own boots while he ambled on. Staring after him, Squall gazed at his outstretched hand and shrugged, stabbing his fists into his khakis as he took off after him.

"So where are you from, anyway?"

Cloud's eyes grew tender and vividly they detained a pastel sheen. Even if he was barely inquired such a question, it still disturbed the man of why a stranger he'd most likely never see again was posing it in such gravity. But all in all, it scared him above all else. "...Around."

"No really. Where are you from?"

Steam wheezed from Cloud's ears and instantaneously he felt the anger surpassing him. Even though this "Squall" was most likely naïve of his history lineage, it was painful that such memories were being brought up in a so-called "formal conversation". Breaking into a sudden stop, the blonde looked obviously irritated and at once turned Squall's opposite way, hatred bared in his eyes. "Look! If I—"

Tapping him lightly on the shoulder, Squall stared in concern as the man bowed around in wrath.

"Cloud. I think you were meaning to talk to me, not the wall."

Eyes blaring, the ****sukai seemed to gleam with darkness, his face twisting into an unceremonious rage that ripped his fists apart. "Just leave me alone, you jackass! Just who do you think you are, coming up to me with such personal inquiries!" Instantaneously he began to take egress, gripping his shaft in his knuckles and breathing through thick air. His heart in his chest was burning with fire, and no matter how solid his eyelids pressed to his skull, the pain never ceased to pursue. Every time he overdid himself.

Darkness buried into darkness as he shut his eyes.

-+-

"I guess that's understandable." Squall stared across the table to the blonde who distantly probed his tea basin, obviously aloof to the steward's sudden sense of exposure. His soft cerulean eyes stared off into nowhere, and often his chair creaked as he moved restlessly, oblivious to the people whom stared at him from the inn walls. "I guess I should've noticed."

Shaking his head the blonde sighed, and leaning back in his chair indolently. He knew Squall meant well, but obtaining help from such an ignorant foreigner. it was unnecessary. Besides. it was useless. Gazing at the yawning fabric of his shirt, where it had been curled up to the shoulder by Squall's hands, two pairs of wings tainted in black were visibly carved into his shoulder. Remorse swelled through his heart and almost instantly he pulled it down. "Well actually I'm quite happy you didn't. I'm treated quite rotten when I'm figured out."

"I don't quite comprehend that."

Bringing the beaker to his lips, Cloud's eyebrow inclined. "You wouldn't."

Laughing, Squall grasped the warmth of his tea and grinned, bringing his eyes to closure. "I suppose your right. I wouldn't, would I?"

Silence seemed to linger within them, and when nothing was spoken, Cloud's voice rang out through the stillness of their conversation. It conveyed through his ears and made his mind tranquil, just to know that not all of his senses were screened with gloom. "You know, I used to be in the army. Actually, for a monarchy quite like this one."

"You don't say?" Interested, Squall's fingers firmly gripped the edges of his basin, intently listening to the blonde's lexis.

"Yeah. Only it wasn't really a real monarchy. It was more like a village, a place for Gaki people. Only a king ruled it.

"This marking on my shoulder, as you probably know, is a symbol of the Gaki. There are many different clans living around and all of them have different symbols to prove their existence of being part of a group or family. My people were known as the People of the Tsubasa, though none of us besides the people in high power had actual wings.

"I was born an Ekibyogami, as I already told you, and therefore I had to hide that part of me from my people. I had green eyes, then."

Fire blazed in his eyes, and leisurely he turned to the ceiling.

"It was customary to join the army at a young age, so when I was nine I enrolled under Sephiroth—the army's general. I met… her when I was fifteen… when my right eye turned blue..."

-+-

"Cloud. I want you to protect this for me." Delicate fingers bowed at Cloud's hands as the maiden placed the ornament into his possession, flatly caressing it through his fingers. The edges probed his palms and impaled cracks in his flesh, but yet his hands enclosed it in his fingers, not caring whether or not he bled. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen, and never was he going to let it go. "Let it be your wings… your wings to the light and to the darkness."

The honey locks of Cloud's skull draped over his eyes, and the ebony eye patch that hung limply across the right side of his face grew taut. Only recently had that eye lost its vision, striving in the darkness. But his angel, the gorgeous maiden of the bastion was too brilliant, too vivid in gold, to reduce into nothingness. Forever she remained in his sight, his guide to the light. "You will loose your other eye soon… such is the sacrifice." Silently her emerald eyes grew tender like fawn tears, sluicing the candlelight into a peculiar, yet stunning radiance. Her very existence, the radiance that blossomed amidst her, could make anyone cry. Even the fire that danced wildly upon the candles bled its tears through the wax. An Ekibyogami-gaki was truly a creature of the darkness, shrouded and forced to take a hold of its power and worship its reality. Their very being was obscured in shadow by blinding their eyes, obliging them to take its path. But with the angel, Aerith knew the light could guide him.

"Aerith." Shaking his head, Cloud gestured her forward and allowed her to drape her arms around his neck, embracing her body into a tight kiss that only leisurely broke apart. His hands deftly flowed down her spine as her face buried into his chest, crying silent tears. "It'll be alright." Miserably she stared up at him, and weakly Cloud smiled. "It's part of my role."

"I know." Liberating from his collar, her gaze locked onto the floor, the crimson kimono she wore beaming gracefully to the candlelight of the cathedral. "I… guess I wouldn't understand." Beneath her crystalline tears, she smiled at him. "I'm just foolish. I can't even leave this church, so I guess there's much I don't understand." An Amenotokotachi was a Gaki of pure light, one whom could only live in sacred and blessed places guarded by the ancient beings of divine nature. Being removed from a church or alter of such sources could easily kill a creature of a sort, no matter what the purpose.

"Don't speak of such nonsense! There's no way in hell you could ever be considered foolish."

Tenderly Aerith's head shook, the emerald glow within her eyes growing dim. "Everyone is foolish at times, Cloud. Don't ever forget that."

-+-

Tears oozed from the lids of Cloud's eyes and metamorphosed into a pupil of crimson veins, his features blistering with red. Squall intently stared and remained silent, lost to words as he watched the weeping man.

"The wings of the angel represent my own." Gazing into nothingness his hands wringed together, catching the tears that slithered through his fingers. His voice began to crack, and his following words appeared forced and detained. "And she died… a day after that." Staring, Squall roused a strand of mahogany hair as his heart begun to submerge into the pits of his stomach. Feelings of remorse swelled within him, and ice blistered through his heart. He couldn't help but see how beautiful this man was, and how anyone could see any differently. These emotions... were feelings he had never felt before.

"I killed her." Pulling his arms around his face, the man buried into their depth and broke into a sob, screaming into the darkness. "I… I let her die."

Attachment was what was bulging through Squall's soul. He wanted to comfort Cloud… tell him it was all right. And another piece of him… wanted to do something even more. It was all too much… too much for him to handle.

But as he watched him cry, sob into the cloth of his arm, he felt useless.

If only he had his own wings to the light, he thought.

-+-

sore wa totemo hareta hi odayaka na egao ni

shiroi hana o ichirin sotto soeta

utsukushii mono wa toki ni kanashii mono

yagate kuru wakare kanjite

kuroi retsu narabezu ni hamida****e kao ageta

itsu ka mita sora o omotte

ikisaki wa dore kurai tooku tooi tokoro na no?

mou nido to wa modorenai hodo tooi tokoro na no?

aitakute aenakute semete tsutaete hoshii

saigo ni kureta namida sono subete wasurenai

Deficiency webbed its fingers everywhere in the shrouded metropolis of West Yokokuhen. Commoners grazed the lands and the Aristocrats walked high above them, displaying their shortage of impartiality. But yet the town was filthy, scorched in dust and smelling of blood, polluted until the hills reached up into the gorgeous gardens of the nobles, where the castles and manors roamed in the seas of endless grass. It was truly a city where street tactics became necessary, and as the blonde roamed the streets endlessly and watched the crumbling edifices pass him by, a sense of emptiness couldn't help but rouse in his chest. He felt frozen in this dark city, creeping among the shadows and trailing wherever the light discharged its beauty. Even though he couldn't see the things around him, it felt evident that everything was sluiced in silence, the sadness that wept invisible tears and slavered through the poverty and deceit. This feeling was enough, and as he ambled on, the honey locks that bounced off his skull caking his eyes, it continued to linger.

Squall was gone. Cloud didn't know if he had left him, or if the man had left himself due to his behavior, but at the moment it didn't seem to matter. He was only a stranger, after all.

But then. why was he thinking about him so much?

Fingering the angel ornament entwined between his fingers, Cloud weakly smiled and allowed the bony chain to suspend, watching the charm twirl and glow to the sunlight. It was like a real angel; gleaming in gold and healthiness, afraid of nothing, as it belonged to the light. It was the only thing he could see. the angel and the angel alone. Its light was bright enough to pierce through the strongest of darkness, and forever did its wings guide him. Retorting the fetter into his palm, the man dangled his thumb near the angel's clasp, pondering if it really was the time to open the locket. Curiosity sewed through his fingers as he handled the clasp, but almost immediately they recoiled. The voice. her voice was calling to him, telling him that the time hadn't come; and yet, as he released his fingers, felt somewhat redundant.

It wasn't hard to feel regret.

Cloud's chest begun to feel hard and clammy, the memories haunting his mind slowly enticing back together, forming the missing pieces which had been obscured by regret. Directly he began to once more wring the chain around his neck, only to find it gone, empty and isolated from his touch.

Fear instantaneously stabbed through his heart and spurted blood beneath his skin, warping it pale. Anger pursued like a shadow, and Cloud was thrust into a convulsion of wrath. He could faintly see it as it was being handled away into the darkness, captured by a ghost of the shadows and dragged into its realm. But no matter where the thief was heading, Cloud was resolute in following.

"Give that back you bastard!!" The bandit turned at once towards him, and what Cloud saw almost tore him apart, curling his blood and sending him panting in disbelief. Time froze around his figure and beckoned his mind to recall the memories as they swayed endlessly about him. The voices. they were mocking him. Cloud's fist tore into a deathly clench, tearing blood straight through his skin. Flames of inferno grew strong within his eyes, and beneath the dimness of his vision, saw a ghastly gray eye staring back at him.

He knew that eye.

Flashes of blood, clashing swords and a scream blazed through his mind and left the memories scarred as ashes. Revelation impaled him and immediately uncontrollable wrath sent him howling after the thief, nothing on his mind except revenge. The revenge that would set vengeance upon the eye that had murdered his love, the seraph that had given him his angel, his only chance of sight.

But before he knew it he was lying on the pavement weeping, in dirge of tears. His body convulsive, he sobbed in hysterics and lashed out at anyone who came too close, stumbling through the darkness. Never before would he be able to see again, and without the light to protect him.

He could already feel himself becoming consumed by the obscurity of the night.

By the next morning when Riku found him, his body was seen curled on a train bench howling, sweating beneath his anxiety and anger. But the boy couldn't help but notice the blood swelling down his spine, where his right wing was now mislaid.

Ever Free translation:
It was a bright day. On your peaceful face

I laid a chain of white flowers.

Beautiful things are sometimes sad things.

I sense the farewell that has been long coming.

I break out of the black line and look upwards,

thinking of the sky I once saw.

How far away will you go?

Is it so far away that you can never come back?

I want to see you but I can't; at least you could tell me.

I won't forget any of the final tears you gave me.

Shadow Trainer Ash
10th June 2003, 02:08 PM
chapter two – eye of the needle

Squall by no means ever felt as ruthless as he did now. It was a mood swing he supposed, but it had occurred so abruptly that it had caught him utterly off guard, and produced his walk into a staggering stutter that lingered the entire path home. Frequently his foot clout stones and tossed them into gutters, and the formerly fresh taste in his mouth grew sour and unbearable. Just even thinking about that Gaki made him upset, and just to know that another one was loitering back home bent his positive attitude into a bitter one. It felt as if vinegar was stroking his tongue with a thick brush.

Gazing ahead of him, the man caught sight of the manor in the distance, looming callously into the heavens and casting an inherent shadow upon the city. To the sky, which was growing angry by the darkness of the passing night, it gave the impression of an evil tower sought to rescue damsels in the ancient fairy tales. Though it was pallid, drenched in silver and white, the edifice seemed excessively eerie and too surpassed with peril to be considered peaceful, even if nobles dwelled within it.

Dying his eyes into darkness, Squall trudged leisurely up the gritty entrance trail, eyes stabbed to his feet. He… wanted to see Cloud again… It was like an invisible longing, and though he couldn’t recognize the emotion, felt if he could see the blonde again, his question would be resolved. The Ekibyogami was his remedy, and for some odd reason, such a revelation scared him.

“Leon, boy, you’re late.” Jabbing his thumbs into the back pockets of his khakis, Squall looked onto the man whom faced him with grave features. Like a solid wall he situated himself, and grimly his bleak blue eyes placed upon him. Callously the man intently glanced with return, and without hesitation, clenched his fists with rage. “You do know what time it is, do you not?”

Gluing his eyes to the rim of his skull, Squall wafted his breath and sourly shook his head. His uncle never failed to persistently harass him, and even if he was a grown adult laboring for his own meals, assumed that just because he resembled so much of his drunkard father, that childish antics consumed the trends of the adults. And it was all because of the eyes. “No, I don’t. I was having a nice converse with a man in town, and as far as I’m concerned, I’m not really much needed here anyway.” Flippantly he shrugged, and indolently he sprawled his spine. “I never do anything around here. Except asking for this or that… such work you happen to know as tiresome.”

Exposing a toothpick with his tongue, the man sank his teeth into the flesh and hardened his eyes. “Sour, just like your father.”

Gritting his teeth, Squall’s lips peeled into a grin. “Well then. I guess he wasn’t ignorant as you say he was, if he agreed with me over something as apparent as that.” Shoving past the man, Squall shed his fingers from his pockets and trudged towards the gate, his mouth motionless. As his hand attained the brass of the knob, a suspicion held him back and hesitantly he wavered. Vaguely he turned his neck to stare at his uncle.

“Listen boy.” The man’s voice cowered, almost as if far away. But quite surely, like all the others, stabbed in deep. “You’ll regret your actions one day. And you know what’ll happen when that day comes?”

Darkening his eyes, Squall took entry into the foyer, staring back with an empty loath. “You’ll watch and laugh.”

-+-

“Riku, please. You’re the only one who can find it.” Clasping his face in his hands, Cloud heaved heavily and slumped trounced into his knees, attempting to resist the excruciating ache that webbed throughout his spine. More than ever he longed for the pendant. The pendant that showed him what the light was… the gleam that he had almost forgotten. Already it seemed far away, deep in the distant memories of his mind. Mentalities are known to loose contact with their most precious memories, when they fade away from the sight for good. “It’s important.” Probing his temple with his thumbs, the blonde sighed and gradually staggered to his feet, seizing the seat rail in his fingers. “I know you’re pissed off at me, but that doesn’t mean you should be so cold; to leave me like I am. I can’t do anything without that pendant, let alone stay sane for long. Will that not be a disadvantage? It wont shut me.”

Folding his mantle to his elbows, Riku rolled his eyes and allowed the silver locks to cascade. Even if he felt an ache for Cloud’s pain, Riku couldn’t help but be furious at the man. His anger sometimes was uncontrollable, and even if he weren’t livid to Cloud’s actions, would take it out on him to relieve of his feelings. Besides… wasn’t Cloud the only one who, throughout all he’s done to him, still remained at his side? “Who even said I want you to come along this time?”

“I did. Because you never even allowed me to begin with. I just followed and you eventually got used to it.” Staring, Cloud’s eyes grew hard. “Once somebody gets involved with another, Riku, you need to learn that they don’t go away so easily. Just like screaming “shoo” to a starving wolf doesn’t make him run off whimpering with his tail between his legs.”

“True. He’s more likely to gnaw your head off.” Grinning brashly, Riku partially glowered with icy eyes. Inside he wanted to rip his own heart out, treading with all his might on top of it. Why was he so stupid? To say such brash things to the only person who ever even bothered to know how he felt? “Just like you’re doing right now.”

Growing aggravated, Cloud skimmed the rail of the bench and cringed where the pain bled. The scar, which now blemished down his spine, showed that his wing had been clearly cleaved off. Deserted, it left a trail of blood and a ripped socket. Cloud’s left eye sealed with a produced sweat. “So you’re trying to be a cold bastard, eh? Well, then. Must I remind you of how we met? I saved your ***; and now that mine is getting kicked, you’re not even going to attempt to help me? Just how selfish are you?”

Lingering, Riku remained in silence before supporting Cloud off the banister, placing a hand to his brow. Glimpsing at the sense of Riku’s hand, Cloud revolved his eyes to his head, uncertainty flushed in his face. “Uhh? What are you doing?”

“What does it look like? I’m helping you. Now shut your trap and close your eyes.” When the ****sukai stared blankly in retort, the Haniyasuhiko, to Cloud’s displeasure, folded his eyes closed with his fingers and held his mouth shut tautly. “Now don’t think of anything. Let your mind wander aimlessly, and only picture what you’re looking for.” Glaring, Riku’s brow furrowed. “Now please be serious. My power won’t work if you’re thinking of something stupid. So don’t go dreaming about naked girls, or something.” Stifled Cloud murmured something, but was instantly hushed by Riku. “Hush. I’m beginning now.” Holding his hand firmly to Cloud’s forehead, the teen’s eyes died into the darkness, the hoary shade of his locks devouring the light of his body as he begun to hymn a branch of words. The lyrical scheme seemed eerie and troublesome, but just something about how Riku’s body and words altered made it appear serene and beautiful. To Riku’s, Cloud’s body remained frozen, as if his body had been consumed to the depths of ice. Within the sockets his eyes reeled to his skull, provoking his bones to become limp and stagger forward. The spell had led him into a trance.

“Boku meirei wa kurayami no hikari… yugure no ato boku wa watashijishin. Mitsukeru ano shinryakusha!” (My Japanese is FAR from perfect, but this is what it’s supposed to say: I command the darkness of light…in the darkness I am myself. Find the invader!”

Abruptly the pair’s eyes flew ajar at once, beaming with a crystal façade. Riku’s mind flooded with images that had once been surrounded by the bars of the man’s mind, and the feeling of conclusively letting his power run free within himself sent a quiver of joy through his chest. For the longest time he had kept it concealed within himself, and now he was finally able to liberate it—send it into the wild of the outside world. He hadn’t remembered feeling this wonderful in the longest time. Leisurely locking his eyes, Riku’s body begun to gradually fade back into human skin, his eyes retorting by becoming their rightful cerulean. Unclosing them, he released his fingers and let out a sigh, permitting Cloud to awaken.

Anxious, Cloud bowed to the boy in thanks. “This means so much to me. But… did you find anything? Or did me being blind resort in any complications? I know your subjects eyes make a big difference in the spell.” Winded, the blonde felt Riku’s annoyance in his silence, and folded his arms in apology. “I’m sorry. I just didn’t like that sigh you gave.”

“It’s not that I didn’t find anything.” Dispensing Cloud his shaft, Riku crossed his arms and ran a hand quickly through his hair. “I found it, actually. The only problem is… well, I’m not exactly sure if it’s the right pendant.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, you said a lowlife took it, am I right?”

Nodding, Cloud untwined his arms. It confused him of why Riku was questioning his judgment, but remained silent to his query. The pain in his back was beginning to loosen, the blood hardening due to the heat of Riku’s hex, and decided it was better to relax than to bring up more antagonism. “Yeah. But why should that mark a difference?”

”My vision told me it’s in the biggest palace in town. Away from the serf’s quarters.” Inclining an eyebrow, the boy turned to him, a hand placed firmly on his hips. “Does that make any sense to you? It sure doesn’t to me. How could a lowlife live in a palace?”

Cloud’s eyes furrowed, and distantly he seeped into thought. From experience, he knew heaps of ways to live in a castle when you were surviving as a thief. He had been orphaned at a young age, and therefore lived in a manor’s secret quarters with a gang of other delinquent children until he had been old enough to join the army. Of course he had been oblivious to everything… such the nature of a child. That must’ve been why… when they were found... “And he had a silver eye.” Staring at Cloud’s sudden lexis, Riku’s eyes became consumed in their alarm. He remembered that description all too well from Cloud’s stories, and at once he realized why the blonde had lost control of himself at the sight of it.

Staring off into the distance, Cloud’s arms slumped to his side in defeat. His eyes wavered in fear, and little by little the bones in his leg begun to quiver. “Just like…” Harshly the name gushed from his lips, and like knives it engraved a scar through his throat as the words leisurely came. “…Sephiroth.”

-+-

“Dammit, Riku! This place isn’t a noble’s palace! It’s a ****ing **** hole!”

“Just shut up and keep running!”

The duo propelled their legs further down the hall, exhaustion pulsing through their lungs as the monsters remained to pursue them. Being weaponless was often a letdown when it came to such matters as these, but, as Cloud often recommended, running was the second best thing. Besides, he often ended in a sarcastic note; both are awfully ****ty ways to die.

Compressing their backs to the cordon, the two men crowned around the edge and wheezed with fatigue, relieving themselves before they once again would bolt away. The two had snuck into the palace only minutes earlier, only to be greeted by a swarm of dead bodies and a muddle of fuming demons. Of course this had sent both of them screaming, running the opposite direction and pleading for mercy. But that, to their misfortune, only caused the demons to notice them and take after the two howling.

“It’s all your fault!” Riku hissed, shoving Cloud away from the crevice with a snarl. “If you hadn’t screamed—”

“Hey, hey. I’m the blind one, here. I only started screaming because you did. So therefore I was an innocent victim to your suicidal plan…”

“Har har. Yes, you’re so naïve. But you were in the army, weren’t you? Plus you have that retarded stick! Go kick their asses, or something!”

“No way! I’m not that ignorant. I can’t see anything. How am I supposed to know where to even kick their “asses”? Besides, you didn’t even have to come. It’s your own doing, so don’t be getting all ticked off on me again. We were supposed to have boarded the next train an hour ago.” Bowing his head, Cloud inclined an eyebrow as a mischievous glint appeared in his eye. “Besides…”

“Holy crap, Cloud.” Shaking his head, Riku panted heavily and nearly broke laughing in his fear. His eyes quickly shot to where the demons were gaining up on them, and sweat begun to produce thickly down his back. Already his hands were clammy. “I know that eye. You got another stupid idea, don’t you?”

“Oh…” Cloud smiled; a faint grin that seemed near reluctance. What he had in mind wasn’t at all something he wished to do, nor show Riku, for that matter—but their situation was grim, and necessary was it if they both wished to exist longer through the world. Besides, the hourglass embossed on his shoulder… leisurely but surely were the markings sinking to the base… “Yeah.”

“What is it this time? Are you going to try to make them do the chocobo dance as a distraction?”

“Okay, okay! So maybe that wasn’t the best idea when we came across those assassins! But this isn’t the time for reminiscences. Look, you just have to trust me.” An abrupt sneer from behind them caught the men on guard and at once Riku turned towards his comrade, defeat roughly written on his face.

“Fine! Do your stupid idea! But if we go to hell, just know that it’s all your fault.”

Frowning, Cloud pushed away from the wall and dragged his cape after him, gradually trudging away from his comrade. His wing had been outstretched into the atmosphere, gaining altitude and wavering as he ambled on towards the demons, his eyes stiff with ice. “Don’t worry. Besides.” Arching his neck towards the ground, the blonde slouched his posture with discomfort. He had known that this day would’ve come eventually; a day where he could no longer hide what he was, nor the powers that he possessed. The curse of an Ekibyogami. “It’s not me they’re after.”

Striding into the hall, Cloud sustained his staff and let descent to his knees, allowing his mantle to ripple down his body and flow gently behind his spine. The stream begun to feel unusually perspiring at the neck, the anxiety in his throat growing hollow with ache as his back slouched forward. Slowly did the darkness within him begin to seep.

Unlocking his eyes, the Ekibyogami caressed the tremors of the earth as the monsters begun to approach, their bleak olive eyes bleeding evil with their lashing tongues. At his sight they appeared hesitant and reluctant, staring upon the man emptily. From afar Riku watched, staring as Cloud’s voice began to alter. It only then occurred to him of what an Ekibyogami was. A creature of darkness—related to the demons of the underworld and scared from the light. All along the demons had been after him… as Cloud in their eyes… was one of their kind…

“It’s subtle to leave us alone at this point.” Whispering, Cloud’s voice gave the impression of a low and furious growl, the iciness in his eyes growing hard and clean with his poisonous fury. “That boy means nothing to you. And though his blood doesn’t scream with darkness, his threat and meat is tasteless. In addition, if you kill him, you’ll have to turn against me. Giving death to your own kind is a horrid antic.”

In harsh tones, the demons snarled and bowed away, trampling to the right of the man in their bared ashen teeth. “Are you performing treason?”

Sneering, the blonde elevated his shaft and tossed his cape aside, allocating the gush to flow at the wind, which gradually depressed from his body. On his face anger was placed, and with fear Riku further cowered back into the barricade, drowning in the collar of his mantle. Even if Cloud was speaking to the fiends, it was difficult to comprehend and their voices were just as vague. It soon occurred to the boy that there was much he didn’t know about the blonde—his first love, and the simple facts of his dark side that alarmed him to weariness. How come Cloud had never told him about such behavior he possessed?

“Be gone! Treason is no way I pass through things. My ways are different than your own.” Descending his rod, the ****sukai gained to his feet and shafted towards Riku, nodding his head to his conquest. At once he began to set off staggering, the silver-haired teen traversing behind.

”Cloud!! What was that?” Gaining to his side, Riku stared up into the man’s blue eyes and gazed deeply into their cores, mute to words and eager for answers. Cloud had just shown of what a gaki was thought to be—a human living among and being accepted as part of the demons; but never before had Riku ever thought it to be possible, and just the thought of it scared him to death. “You were talking to them, weren’t you? What the hell did you say?”

Turning away, Cloud ignored Riku’s hand of gesture and scowled with a tough stare, frowning in remorse. Almost instantly did he regret in showing Riku such a thing. He had known from the beginning that he was too young to understand such matters of life, let alone the differences in element and power in which he and others of their kind possessed. Children were so… lucky and naïve…

“I said nothing of importance. The only thing that matters is that we escaped, is it not?” When Riku lingered to his silence, Cloud brashly brushed a hand through his bangs and callously licked his lips, sighing in distraught. “But… I just don’t understand. Why are there demons in a king’s palace?” As Cloud’s eyes furrowed, an abrupt image of the gorgeous seraph flickered through his eyes, and like flames did they alternate through his mind. Revelation seeped into him, and at once he took into a run; a sightless lope in which carried him to where ever the instinct felt right. Demons emerging where innocent souls were produced could only lead to one solution… and that could only be that his amulet was indeed inside this palace. And not only was the pendant letting out his sheen, but just by being here the palace had become a magnet for evil spirits. A place where a demon had gained control over Aerith’s medallion and was using it immorality.

The consideration of the problem slumped deep into Cloud’s stomach and produced his run into a quick amble, his eyes packed with tears of remorse. For he was the ****sukai—“Death messenger”—and only a person with such a name gained tragedy wherever he walked.

-+-

Caressing the pendant in his fingers, Sora’s face grew hot with tension. For almost an hour had he remained anxious, pulsing blood from his eyes and nearly jumping away from his skin. The look that the man with the wings had given him… it was something that the boy had never underwent; especially at the view of the bandages embracing his eye… It only made Sora wonder, if this man could actually see beneath the bandage.

Probing the remaining wing of the angel, the adolescent lamented the calamity of cleaving the other off by mistake, clouting it into rock when his feet had tripped on the run home. Of course it didn’t eradicate the beauty of the pendant, but nonetheless, a one-winged angel was odd and uncanny. Especially when the one wing was tinted white.

Burrowing it into his chest, Sora crossed his legs and dug his elbows into the crevice. His mother… had looked exactly like the angel on this pendant. Clutching the tears before they fell, Sora cleaved his arm across his eyes and stared long and hard, mute to words. Maybe if he gave this to his father, he wouldn’t have any penury for her broken picture any longer…

Gaining access to his legs, the boy waded from his covers and gained egress, leisurely cresting around the hall flap. It was unusually bare and quiet, and the deafening silence consumed him as he took a step into the foyer. Looking about warily, the boy gradually ambled forward, inflowing into the dining hall where his father sat, tea in hand. The servants had strangely gone, and Leon wasn’t there either; or else Sora would’ve insisted that he stayed to help him fulfill this task. But without his custodian by his side, the only person who ever dared to listen to him, Sora’s heart thumped and beat against his chest, breaking his skin into a heavy panic. He felt so ignorant standing there, quivering with the pendant clasped in his hands. What kind of prince was afraid of his own father?

“Father.” As Sora approached the man, fear marked in his eyes, his father turned to face him with soulless eyes. Sora now knew that there was no turning back, and with trembling hands, tenderly passed the pendant to his guardian. “It’s… it’s mother.” Breaking the pendant away from the boy’s grasp, Sora’s father relaxed the bony chain against his palm and stared from the broken wing to the angel’s face, his eyes growing wide with anger. Instantaneously his fist threw the ornament to the floor, watching as it clattered across the tile. Wheezing furiously, the man’s massive hands took a hold of Sora’s collar, thrusting him close to his chest.

“That is NOT mother! That is a symbol of a monster!” Harvesting the pendant, Sora’s father drove it into the boy’s face, asserting the message that scrawled itself at the edge. “You know what this is, boy?”

When Sora shook his head in the utmost fear a boy could handle, his heart begun to beat three times faster, the flesh of his face growing pale. “I…I don’t sir…” Quaking him furiously, the man thrust the pendant at the wall and watched as it ruined to pieces, shattering like glass to the overlay. Almost instantly Sora’s eyes grew wide at his father’s actions, a deep sadness overwhelming him. How… how could his father ruin something so beautiful…?

“It’s a written language of the Gaki! This proves to the extent of what you are!” Sora at once felt pain surge up his spine as he was thrust to the ground and his dead arm sprawled, howling at the abrupt torture his father was giving him. Everything in his mind was in the utmost shock, and the boy couldn’t help but want to scream for someone to come to his rescue. His eye had begun to throb minutes ago, and the tears streaming from within drenched the cloth and soaked the caking. Slowly the bandage began to unwrap.

“So it’s that eye after all, eh?” Selecting a piece of splintered gold from the tile, Sora’s father grasped it in his hand and advanced towards the boy, a wolfish smile converting his features. He wasn’t going to allow this boy to live… for never could he accept a Gaki as a son; no matter whom it was or what it could grow up to be. For a Gaki was a monster—just as he was determining. A Gaki wasn’t a he or she, nor were they a person. As far as the King of Yokokuhen was concerned, a Gaki was an it; worth no more than useless street trash. A Gaki meant nothing, and nothing should great it except death. “Why don’t I cut it off for you?”

As the shard begun to drift towards his eye, Sora begun to scream, howling for help and screeching for protection. It only then occurred to him that the flake had begun to take part of the man, forming a wicked claw, which gushed beneath gray skin. Eyes widening, the boy stared in fear as the man that had once been his father commenced in altering into a hideous oni. Pale bullhorns roused from his skull and pulsed from the dragon-like expression, expanding into an impious snout. The shards of the Gaki pendant now formed the claws of the demon, and no longer were any human features detected on the monster’s body.

Quivering, Sora crawled as fast he could, eager to get away. But with only one arm, almost instantly fell, impelling into the cold tile of the floor. He could feel the demon’s sweltering pant cake his face, and like hell he begun to bawl, his arm tearing at the air like a wolf. This demon wasn’t his father…Tears begun to stream madly down his face, and unhurriedly it bled crimson. It just couldn’t be…

“Sora!” Turning to where the voice was produced, Sora’s guard was let down as he suddenly let out a howl of pain, three bloody slashes imprinted across his eye. Blood drooled to the floor and caressed within the flooring, his legs scurrying to reach his feet. Leon… Leon had come to save him…

Fear swelled in his eyes, the gunblade master stared in the utmost horror at the oni, motionless as it loomed callously above the boy. Never before had he ever seen one, or planned to at that, and the dread of not knowing how to kill it seared through his skull and stuck to him something awful. He knew this creature’s power… and easily was it seen from the dead bodies, which were cascaded within the expansive bedroom dorms. Grasping the gunblade’s handle, Squall’s eyes hardened till his knuckles bled into a ghastly white. There seemed nothing he could do except fight it till death. “Such a foul creature… What are you doing here!”

Turning to face Squall, a smile curled within the oni’s dragon-like features. Sweater was it, to gain more blood from such a weak creature. “Ah Leon, my boy. Good to see you’ve finally made it.”

Squall’s arms begun to quiver as the gunblade roused into the air, the blade nicking sheens to the monster’s fiery breath. The lion chain dangled lifelessly from the knob, and silently it rattled like bones. The world around Squall had become a graveyard, a hall of the dead and soon to be deceased. This world was much different than the outside earth, where the living roamed freely and was haunted by afar. Here, in a domain where the beings of the living weren’t intended to cross, every moving body was held together by invisible chains of evil spirits; spirits which thrived to send them where they had gone before.

Trembling, the mahogany locks of Squall’s skull cascaded ruggedly into his maturing eyes, spreading like weeds across his neck. The situation was grim. Almost always had he had someone else besides him, there to cheer him on and give advice. People who were able to aid and guide him throughout the toughest portions of battle. But all those people were dead… torn into pieces limb by limb. So now he stood alone—the only wall standing between the oni and the finalized destruction of Yokokuhen. But that voice… the deep, solemn tone it possessed… the sadness trapped within Sora’s eyes… how could he turn against his own king? “M’lord! Wha… what are you doing? What happened to you!”

Sora’s eyes bled tears and cowered to clog his ears, the fangs hidden within his incisors gnawing into the flesh of his lip in the utmost fear. Even if Leon was here, at his side to sink along in their blood, despair gnawed at his heart and ceased to let go. How selfish was he? To want his only friend by his side, just so he could die as well by the same fate. Leon had dreams… dreams which surpassed his own. Conserving his eyes, Sora wafted his breath and broke into a cry, at only which the oni replied to with a wicked snarl. The scales upon its snout bled in poison and sludge of blood, baring the deep olive eyes that possessed its followers. “What am I doing here? Why, to take care of this child of course! Long ago the king and his wife had been slain by my offspring. Quite soon after this one’s birth, actually, so I decided to run things. The entire city is full of demons. Mirages, you humans may call it.

“Those of human blood haven’t lived long enough to see another day. Besides you, that is Leon. You’re special. Very special indeed.”

Sora’s figure sulked deeply into the floor, his moans stiff with pain. Blood melted with tears, and betrayal blended it all together. All along he had never known his true father… all along he had been raised by a demon; a demon striving in an oni shrouded metropolis.

Eyes hardening, Squall’s fists grew taut with anger, his locks fastening into the atmosphere with his rage. That means…! “My uncle! You mean my uncle was just a demon? All an oni’s trick?” As the oni snorted in his laughter, Squall’s gunblade took fire, producing smoldering ashes as the bullet impaled the monster in the eye, spurting blood to the coping. In rage it begun to howl, the mirth only a mere glimmer with glee.

“Oh poor Leon. You try too hard.”

“You killed them! My true family…” Eyes burning in agony, the gunblade master set his sword in higher altitude, his finger pressed to the trigger. “Tell me! Why am I special? Why didn’t you kill me! My blood is just as a red as any human’s! Why do you allow me to breathe?”

“That is not of your concern. Though if you allow me to slay this fellow here…” Pressing a claw to the boy’s throat, the oni beamed at Sora’s terrified features and blinked callously. “I’ll tell you all that you wish to know.”

In disagreement and fury Squall’s face remained motionless, his eyes growing narrow with impatience. At once with his gunblade intact he charged, howling in fury until his blade thrashed against the copious skin of the oni. It only then occurred to him that two more people had begun to fight at his side, weeping battle cries and trouncing their weapons upon the scales. Cloud…?

The Ekibyogami, bruised and beaten, stood besides him with an elevated rod, his brilliant cerulean eyes flickering like flames. He was apparently exhausted, and though Squall held no idea of how he had emerged into the palace, a sudden relief washed over him and led his attacks more vigorously. Though it soon struck him that the blonde’s attacks were often missing their mark, and abruptly he lost his balance and fell with fatigue. An unusual boy with hoary locks scurried to his side then, assisting him to his feet then blaring insults. That boy, it seemed to Squall, was trying to make him run. And the unusual looks only lead the gunblade master to believe that this child could only be a gaki as well.

“I’m not giving up.” Hacking blood into the earth, the blonde roused to his feet and advanced towards the oni’s snarls, his eyes widening in astonishment at the sudden sight he held in his mind. The wicked claws of the monster penetrated upon him, only to be mirrored back with a following scream from the demon. Fluttering, the lids of Cloud’s eyes opened, and at once his throat begun to blare. “My pendant! It’s right there!”

From afar Sora watched the man with the wing and cowered in terror, instantly recognizing his features and discovering the hopeless case of him ever seeing his pendant again. But then how come… he was declaring that he indeed had spotted it with his own eyes?

Darting his eyes to Cloud’s direction, Riku blankly glanced at the oni’s tremendously wicked claws and hoisted his pocketknife, driving it into the difficult flesh of the monster’s limbs. At once it howled and screamed, thrashing like a wild bass as Squall promptly gagged the blade of his sword into the oni’s heart, screwing it in deep and discharging blood. Entrails spurt and converted the floor into a bloody mess, the ground that became the oni’s place rest. With a snarl and gurgle of blood and broken veins, the demon ‘s eyes revolved to its skull, the body of the massive beast tumbling to its death. The oni had been slayed.

Leisurely Cloud begun to crawl towards the claws of the demon, his mouth gaped in terror at the new shape his pendant had formed. To the darkness that the oni had possessed, the light in the jewelry had begun to fade, now only a dim light in his eyes. Like a fire it begun to flicker, and unto the remains, the broken pieces became broken again, now only the dying ashes of the flame. And with this and a stare into the eye of Sora, Cloud, with his face towards the sky, began to scream.

classy_cat18
11th June 2003, 02:09 PM
Is it just me, or is everyone coming out with a Kingdom Hearts fic? I think I saw one or two more. Anyways, this is sure original, especially the fact that I sensed a little, um, happiness. (Sorry, I just can't bring myself to say the "g" word.) Awaiting the next chapter.

Shadow Trainer Ash
11th June 2003, 03:38 PM
*jumps up and down* A REPLY! A REPLY! *hugs classy cat* A REPLLLLY! xD This is the first reply out of four stories I've written on this board in the last six months! *jumps* A REPLLLY! >_o

*calms self* ^_^; Anyway. Yeah, they have been appearing a bit lately. I remember writing the fifth KH english KH fic on the internet (right after the game came out in America), and at the time barely anyone was writing for it... that is, until about three months later. Now there's tons of them. o_o

Misty
13th June 2003, 04:14 PM
Still at it with the mile-long chapters, eh? :P

Good fic though, I loved that first one you did like two years ago, lol... anyway, keep writing. :D

Shadow Trainer Ash
14th June 2003, 02:44 PM
Hiii!!! *waves* I wasn't sure if you were still around anymore ^_^

But yeah... I remember Shadow Trainer. I was a measly little eleven-year-old then...heh. I remember I rewrote the entire thing around a year ago, but lost it once my computer crashed, followed by my loosing interest in pocket monsters. >_o I mainly write Wolf's Rain fanfics now.

But it's great to see you again. :D Makes me remember old times... when this board was kicking and I knew everyone. Now, personally I think it's rather surreal. ;( Barely anyone I recognize... too peaceful.

Misty
14th June 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Shadow Trainer Ash
Hiii!!! *waves* I wasn't sure if you were still around anymore ^_^

But yeah... I remember Shadow Trainer. I was a measly little eleven-year-old then...heh. I remember I rewrote the entire thing around a year ago, but lost it once my computer crashed, followed by my loosing interest in pocket monsters. >_o I mainly write Wolf's Rain fanfics now.

But it's great to see you again. :D Makes me remember old times... when this board was kicking and I knew everyone. Now, personally I think it's rather surreal. ;( Barely anyone I recognize... too peaceful.

Indeed, I remember when I could barely keep track of 3 or 4 boards, now I find myself on EVERY board, including ones I don't really care for, like VG and OA O_o

Shadow Trainer Ash
29th June 2003, 01:50 PM
*bumping before this disappears into nothingness*

Shadow Trainer Ash
13th August 2003, 02:49 AM
Sorry for the wait >_< Didn't even get the chance to edit this... gah

Anyway, lots of Riku jealousy and Sora findings in this chapter o_O;;;

chapter three - cat's cradle

It was only minutes before the dragon was slain. Dark, ebony blood oozed from the splintered scales that coated the upper torso of its body, and like paper they peeled and feathered off into the dirt. One bulging golden orb remained ajar, glowing red with vein as the snout drooled its blood in defeat. Riku stood over the creature wheezing, his knife gleaming with red as it was strained into its scabbard. In exhaustion he slumped to his knees, and at once Sora ran to the boy’s side, his one eye blazing in worry. “Riku…”

“I’m fine.”

“You killed it… and only with a pocket knife…”

“I’ve been on my own for a while.”

As the boy stared in awe at the silver warrior, Riku turned to face Cloud, whom was standing isolated near the cliff edges, his empty eyes staring out into nothing. His cape took wing endlessly with the wind, and the shadows consuming him were growing great. Ever since they had left Yokokuhen he had been moody and depressed, refusing to talk to anyone and backing down at any requests or offers, especially when it came to Sora. The man had grown an excessive vein of hatred for the boy, and it was hard enough not to grasp the boy’s throat in his fists and squeeze every moment he was forced to listen to him. And Riku… couldn’t help but frown for his friend. Almost always had Cloud been able to keep at least a tiny glimmer of a smile on his face, but now there was nothing. Nothing but a black line of emptiness.

“I wouldn’t put your knife back in its scabbard while blood still remains to coat it.” Squall murmured, his sudden appearance sending a somewhat wave of shock down Riku’s spine. The gunblade master irritated and scared him to boundless ends, and to make matters worse, he seemed on a gracious term of friendship with Cloud, and just the thought of this made Riku both sick and furious, as Cloud returned Squall’s affections without hesitation. Just to know that Cloud was falling in love with this man… this human, made Riku’s body burn with violent streaks of uncontrollable wrath. It surged within his blood and boiled and bubbled, and never did it to cease to let go. It wasn’t fair. No matter how hard he tried, Riku couldn’t get Cloud to return his love. But this Squall… how come just after a day he was already speaking the words that nicked the veins in his throat away? “It’ll rust and become dull.”

“Who says?” Riku’s sharp eyes glowered irritably at Squall, and just the eeriness of their cerulean depths caused the gunblade master to shiver. It surprised him of how sour Cloud’s comrade had been acting towards him, though no matter how much he was tempted to ask what was the matter with his company, the brunette warrior remained silent and accepted his attitude.

Inclining his brow, Squall gazed at the boy, a hand resting at the hip of his belts of knives. “My master.”

“Well, your master was a demon. And not only do I not deal with demonic antics, but I won’t listen to a gullible human such as yourself.”

“Oh really.”

“Yes. You want to make something of it?”

”No. It’s just that, well… Gakis aren’t that different than humans. They’re just of a different race.”

“Well, then I’m a prejudiced bastard, okay?”

Squall’s silence lingered, and his eyes wandered as Sora’s fragile arm clung to Riku’s cape, his eyes filled with anticipation and question. The boy idolized Riku to boundless ends, and the desire of yearning to be a strong warrior pulsed through him and fizzed to his eyes. “Riku.” A sharp tug caressed Riku’s neck, and at once the warrior turned to face the boy. “Tell me more about the Promised Land. Please tell.”

Sighing, Riku urged the boy off him and grew to his feet. Squall was staring now as well, and the sheen in his cerulean eyes told Riku that he too wanted to know.

“Yes, Riku. We’re following you on this little “quest” of yours. The least you could do is tell us what it is.”

Snarling, tresses of silver swayed to Riku’s shoulders. “It’s a Paradise. What else do you need to know?” Sora’s face declined in somewhat hurt, but Squall continued.

“Okay, another question then. How do you know about it? And why are you pursuing it?”

Silence pulsed through the three and Riku fidgeted timidly, his eyes growing shallow as Cloud approached, stuttering without his rod. Squall watched the man’s actions with confusion, but choose not to say anything. After all, it was probably no use to worry. It was most likely just a wound from when they were battling the oni…

“Riku. You’re not honestly going to force them on our quest, are you?” Riku stared up into Cloud’s sapphire eyes and nearly flinched at the beauty of them, his teeth locking down into the flesh of his lip. Te Ekibyogami pulled a hand through his golden hair and sighed. “Don’t you think you should tell them the truth about the Promised Land first?”

Squall’s eyes hardened and his arms fell to his side. The instincts in his mind blistered, and at once he figured that there was something indeed that Riku had been hiding. The existence of the Promised Land… and it occurred to the gunblade master soon that, he had been following a child no older than Sora. A boy who, throughout it all, longed for a place to belong. For a child like that… the Promised Land could just be hell with a different name.

Cloud gazed into Squall’s gaze and shook his head. “I recommend that you don’t follow us.”

In alarm, Squall’s voice yearned to speak, but was sharply cut off by Cloud. “Because…the Promised Land…”

Riku’s body began to tremble, and at once tears of anger begun to blister from his eyes. His mouth ran dry and sour, and his fists arose in rage. “I made it up, okay!?” Turning to Cloud’s face that had roused with shock at the boy’s behavior, Riku’s body begun to quiver till his teeth snapped together. “Cloud… how can you tell these strangers something like that!? Make me seem like a fool for following my own imaginary world!”

Cloud’s blood began to freeze. ”Riku…”

”You ****ed up bastard, after all I’ve done for you, too! Are you blind at heart as well? How come you don’t love me?”

-+-

yami no yozora ga futari wakatsu no wa
yobiau kokoro hadaka ni suru tame
kazari nugisute subete nakusu toki
nanika ga mieru

kaze yo watashi wa tachimukau
yukou kurushimi no umi e to
kizuna kono mune ni kizande
kudakeru nami wa hatenaku tomo

nani wo motomete daremo arasou no?
naga****a chishio hana wo sakaseru no?
toutoki a****a kono te ni suru made
deaeru hi made

kaze yo watashi wa tachimukau
yukou kagayaki wo meza****e
inori kono mune ni dakishime
samayou yami no you na mirai

kaze yo watashi wa osorenai
ai koso mitsukeda****a kiseki yo
kimi wo shinjite'ru yorokobi
arashi wa ai ni kizuku tame ni fuite'ru

Everything after that was silent. The silence was deadly, scorching in a cold, icy heat that bled from the heart. And as the sun begun to set deep into the horizon, things only became colder. Sora sat across from Cloud, burying his legs deep into his chest as his cerulean bulbs blinked rapidly, each blink filled with more solemn than the last one had possessed. He knew that he hated him. It was evident and clear, and the face in which Cloud kept, an intent glower carved within his features, Sora couldn’t help but shiver more and creep further into his knees. He didn’t blame this stranger. Sora knew that if he hadn’t stolen his pendant, this whole thing wouldn’t have even happened…

Stars had begun to blister through the night sky, and the clouds had faded away, leaving a massive blanket of dark lavender. Nothing but the stars and smoke from the dim campfire streamed through its domain, and leisurely did the snakes of smoldering ash begin to die away into faint embers. On cold windy nights, fires were almost impossible to keep, and the only blanket in which the men possessed was an item of Riku’s, in which he had angrily tossed to Sora from his whining. The boy had snuggled deep into it, hiding his bare arms and legs and snaring it to his chest. The warmth was practically no different, but Sora kept silent and watched as Squall and Riku suited themselves on the moist grounds of the earth and forced oneself to sleep. Cloud, although, placed himself in front of the campfire and said nothing, staring into nonentity and frowning.

Sighing, Sora coated his head with the blanket and stared past the dancing flames. They fizzed and cracked, fluttered to ashes, and like dying fireflies sank into the earth. And as Sora’s foot crept on top of the dead ashes, his lips lowered into a frown as more fireflies died. Why was everything dying?

Staring off into the distance, Sora watched as the ants coating the dragon corpse danced and marched down the limbs of the creature, snagging rotten pieces of flesh and drops of hardened blood. In their tiny legs they carried the parts along, striding on like an army in pursuit, the one furthest in line staggering to death. In the end the dead body had gone to waste, a simple bloody corpse to feed the earth. Dragon’s flesh was poisonous, Riku had told him earlier, and wasn’t safe to eat at all, unless you wanted too great your death early. So that night they went to bed hungry, the lying bags of bones keeping the ants away.

Gazing deeper into the flames, Sora recoiled at the stinging in his stomach, and attempted to keep the sickness inside. He had to be strong… for Squall… for everybody else…

He no longer wanted to get in the way.

“Cloud…” Sora’s head hung, and the sickness continued to linger. Dangling his fingers off to the side of the blanket, the boy turned away. “I can’t hide all the time. But… but it’s so hard, you know? I… I was… afraid.”

Cloud’s neck rose from his arms, and Sora continued. “I always knew I was different. Different than my mother… my father. Everybody in the village, even. They knew what I was, when I did not.” Staring into the brilliant sky, Sora’s sapphire orbs grew soft, the silence continuing to linger. “My arm stopped working at a young age. And though I can’t feel anything in it anymore, it still hurts sometimes. Really bad. I don’t expect you to forgive or understand me...but I just want you to know that I mean what I say. I’m no liar, honest.”

Dying his eyes into darkness, a small smile tugged ruggedly at the corner of Cloud’s lips. “I figured.”

Crossing his legs, Sora allowed the mantle to drape in waves down his neck, his neck raised in surprise at the man’s sudden retort. “Y-you’re talking to me …”

Shrugging, Cloud sighed and declined to his back, feeling the rough ground surge against him. Barely any grass could stand to grow in such a desolate place. “It’s… useless. To hold a grudge. Children are stupid. They just simply don’t know any better.”

Sora’s shoulders slumped, and faintly his eyes begun to close. “What about Riku?”

“Riku isn’t a child. You’d think you would’ve noticed that by now.”

Shifting uncomfortably, Sora’s face twisted into a frown. Was Riku… really that older than him? Of course they shared the same age, but Cloud was talking mentally. Mentally, was Sora still a child? A mere, weak and foolish child still struggling to learn and how to walk? A small, helpless little boy who hid in the corner? Too afraid to enter a world where the shadows dared not to linger? Speaking softly, Sora’s voice dissolved into a faint whisper. “I… I feel sorry for Riku.”

Nodding his head to his chest, Cloud swayed to his side and remained motionless. “So do I.”

As Cloud begun to drift to sleep, Sora’s lips bled into a grin, pulling his body to the ground as the fire begun to fade. “I believe in the Promised Land too.”

-+-

Morning came swiftly. Pine and grass scented the earth, and the atmosphere remained clean and untouched, crisp for bird wings. Seas of grass swayed in waves over the plains and danced in the wind, calling to the trees, which howled through the brushwood and howled to the wild. Untamed were the spirits, when nature was untouched by human hands.

Sora remained stooped in the underbrush, his lips sealed as Cloud settled next to him, his hands pinned to the earth. Ahead of them the bushes shuddered and quaked, a hint of ashen fur veiled by the mahogany foliage of the undergrowth pouring with the wind, as a tiny snout gaped from the opening. Sora’s soft cerulean eyes widened, his body motionless as the creature’s muzzle grasped a berry in its tiny jaws and begun to chew, slowly and silently as the juice dripped.

Grinning, Cloud unraveled an ebony cloth from his pocket and begun to tie it around Sora’s head, tautly forming it around his neck. “Sora, there are certain things Squall wont be able to teach you about fighting.”

Sora gazed into the dusk color that now surpassed his eyes and blinked, bringing a finger to the fabric.

“When you’re tracking something, animal or person, your senses are what is most important.”

“Then why are you blinding me?”

“So you will learn to use them to your fullest. People take advantage of their senses greatly, and only can a warrior truly be strong when he learns how to fight without one.”

The boy brushed away a strand of mahogany hair from the bandana, and struggled to see past the darkness, a sudden dizziness overwhelming him. He was now seeing through Cloud’s eyes.

“Now concentrate, Sora. Concentrate on the earth and imagine. You know your prey is there, but now you have to learn to see him.”

“But how can I? I’m supposed to be blind, right?”

“You’re never blind if you can hear, am I right? And even if you’re blind both ways, there’s always ways to see things. You just have to search for it.” Pushing him on, Cloud motioned for the boy to go.

Declining to his stomach, Sora’s body pressed to the terrain, and leisurely he begun to crawl forward. Cloud’s words had confused him, and not at all did he understand. There were so many voices in this world… the voices of the trees, the voices of the birds, the sky… how was he supposed to tell them all apart, when he didn’t have eyes? Sniffing the air, the boy drained and collapsed, sighing in discouragement. Why did Cloud have to be so vague?

Pulling himself up, the boy dragged his bleeding knees through the pine needles and fallen twigs, listening for the creature that buried itself from his vision. The sun had grown three times hotter, and even in shorts and a t-shirt Sora was drenched in sweat and gasping, his spiky auburn hair soaked to his cheeks.

Things seemed useless.

Sighing, the boy sat and cursed, cursed at himself for being weak. He had told himself… told Cloud… that he wasn’t going to whine anymore, that he was no longer afraid to be strong, no longer afraid to try. And he wasn’t going to quit now. He couldn’t.

Pressing his ear to the earth, Sora’s eyes flew ajar. Faint paw prints echoed through his mind, and the petite resonance of flustered, snapping jaws leisurely trudged behind. He could see it now, if ever so faintly. Its slick and long body, its pointy ears, the elongated tail that flowed behind as it gnawed away at the juices of the berry…

A fox.

Sora’s fingers begun to web down his back, reaching for the knife resided in the scabbard at his ribcage. He could feel the handle bleed into his fingers, press against the leather as It begun to rise. The fox’s head rose to the sound of the boy’s movements and shuddered, pausing as it surveyed its surroundings. Twin bleak beady eyes blinked and stared, remaining still as Sora’s body grew tense. But upon seeing nothing, the animal’s neck declined and went back to eating. Now Sora could almost taste the creature’s blood upon his tongue, and his silver eye begun to burn a hole into his skull.

The monster from within him had been awoken.

Freezing in place, Cloud’s body grew tense at the sudden presence of the area, his eyes beginning to grow wide. He knew this feeling… this emotion… it was all too familiar. Grasping his rod in his fists, his knuckles turned a ghastly white as he took off after the boy, his sapphire eyes wide with alarm. He couldn’t believe he hadn’t evoked it earlier, before he had sent him on this lesson. They shared the same eye. How could they not share the same power?

Just… how stupid am I?

Trees clout and seized his body as he ran through the forest, the golden locks surpassing his skull gluing to his face with sweat. His heart beat faster than ever before, and his fists were tight with repulsion. He wasn’t going to make the same mistake again.

The fox hissed and snarled at Sora, its bared incisors spitting blood as the knife stabbed deep into its back gorged in deeper. The boy’s smile grew wide in evil, the feeling of blood covering his hands sending a wave of joy through his veins. He couldn’t get enough of him. He wanted more. More blood to coat his hands… more blood to dry into his fingertips…

Twin golden eyes blew ajar as Sora’s fists coated the neck of the fox, sensing the blood emit through the creature’s snarling as his fingers coated the circulation and squeezed. At once a snap sent the white fox to death, frail in the boy’s arms.

Cloud’s ears retorted to the snap, and his eyes widened in disbelief. The fox… wasn’t supposed to have been killed.

Running to the boy, the Ekibyogami snatched the bandana from his eyes and grasped the boy away from the dead animal, his body trembling in the utmost fear. His hands shook his body, and at once Sora broke into a wild cry. Tears bled from his eyes and his body trembled and shook at the dead corpse, fear pulsing through his wildly beating heart.

It was now no doubt to Cloud that this boy indeed shared his power… the man with the left silver eye. The reason he himself was able to kill his only love.

Sephiroth.

- + -

The forest grew quiet after that. Nothing stirred, and the wind had halted. Footsteps followed the trail of fox blood and picked up its fallen body, a snarl coating the lips as the knife spurted blood and was released.

Slowly revenge was put into plan.

- +-

“Sephiroth, huh.”

Cloud bowed his head into his arms and said nothing, hugging his cape to his chest. Sora had been deathly quiet ever since their return, and this made Riku come out with many questions; some in which Cloud found painful to answer and refused to even mention. The silver-haired teen understood, although, and kept quiet on certain terms, simply asking for the basic facts and ending shortly after. Mainly he positioned himself to the side of the inn walls, probing a fallen leaf with his finger and giving it an odd look. The Shominaga Inn was airless; crawling with people by dead minds and useless technology. Plastic plants decorated the hallways, and faded oil paintings of ships and seas, oceans and sailors, coated the walls upon pale wallpaper. Everything was peeling, and the washed out crimson paint, which caked the walls, shed in sheets. Leisurely during the night did the mice drip more to the earth.

Shaking his head, Riku released the synthetic leaf and turned towards the man, his heart slowing. Sora was asleep already, curled up within the bed covers and embracing the fabric to his chest, the exhaustion weld within his weak body growing great. It made it hard for Riku to believe that this boy was indeed the shadow of his friend’s nemesis… the strongest Gaki ever to have walked the earth.

Sighing, Riku settled down next to Cloud and slouched, his eyes thin. “Cloud. I’m sorry about getting on to you earlier.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Stringing his glasses over his eyes, Cloud outstretched his arms and fell backwards over the bed, the warmth consuming his body as he smiled. “But you know. Sora believes in the Promised Land too.”

Blinking, Riku stared in disbelief. “Really? A boy like him?”

“Of course. You two are no different from each other, really.”

Smiling, Riku closed his eyes and nodded. “I should’ve known. He is a lot like me, isn’t he?”

Probing a finger to the back of his mantle, Riku turned to face Cloud, only to find a slight glimmer residing within his palm. Blinking, the boy stared, and realized them indeed to be coins; glimmering objects which danced with the light. As the fire in the candlelight danced, the coins split sheens in all shapes, golden shadows.

Placing the coins into Riku’s hand, Cloud shrugged and again returned to his back, his body motionless. “Treat yourself tonight, okay? My treat.”

“But why?”

“No reason. You just look stressed.” Wavering his hand, the Ekibyogami motioned him away. “Go get drunk, or something.”

His smile growing wide, Riku nodded and laughed, accepting the money and dripping them one by one into his pockets. Cloud had his moods sometimes, when he was depressed but immensely considerate. Of course Riku joked that he took advantage of him when he reached such a time, but Cloud would only blink and laugh, usually saying nothing after. He was, without a doubt, a person almost anybody could get along with. “Oh, I will.” Narrowing his eyes with a smile, Riku slipped out into the hallway and softly turned the door behind him, caressing his back to the door. Silver locks drenched into his face, and slowly slid behind his ear. It was moments like these that made Riku realize why he cared about the man so much, how he would do anything for him. And it was also a moment that reminded him of how much he cared as well.

- +-

Squall didn’t know how to feel, as he paced lifelessly through the inn dorms. He was confused, that was for sure. So many… difficult things had begun to happen to him, and the worst thing was, that he had no idea what was causing it, nor what was happening in the first place. But it was a feeling. A deep, horrible feeling that haunted deeply inside his blood, his veins, and ceased to let go. And nothing could release those cold hands that gripped his mind, gripped his soul, as at the same time, it felt as if they had always had meant to be there. And that scared him. Badly.

From the corner of his eyes, Squall watched as Riku, a smile scorched across his face, waded down the stairs two steps at a time. In his pockets the sound of coins rang, and as the boy bounded to the bottom step, skipped up to the door and quickly left. Squall stared, and as if a string had been pulling him, shook his head and begun to slowly trudge up the steps. The top seemed distant, and the stairs wide and long, but as he pulled himself up, one step at a time, reached the submit and wheezed. He didn’t understand why he was being so weak. They were… just stairs after all. …Right?

Pulling his sleeve back, Squall frowned and trembled at the sudden quake of cold which sent a tremor down his spine. Why… was he so nervous? Sweating, the man pulled back a greasy strand of mahogany hair and took a deep breath, reaching the inn door with a sigh. The paper on the walls was peeling away, revealing the dying plaster in tufts. Wood was braking, splintering into pieces and dying in ashes to the ground. Nothing was staying in place anymore. Curving his fingers around the doorknob, Squall pulled and entered the domicile, tossing his cloak aside. Cloud and Sora were there, outstretched across their beds motionless. But Cloud was still awake, as far as Squall could see, and was simply staring at the ceiling in silence, only to turn to face him as he entered.

“Squall, right?”

Nodding, Squall positioned his jacket on the coat rack and stared at the man’s style of organization: thrown clothes all gathered into a pile at the foot of the bed. “Of course. Who else?”

“I dunno. Maybe Riku. Maybe Sora.”

“Sora is right here.” Squall pointed to the sleeping boy, whose back was now rising, slowly but surely, up and down with his breathing. He looked so young, curled into a ball within the blankets, innocent and forlorn. “And Riku just left.”

“Yeah…”

Staring, Squall’s eyes suddenly grew tender, a frown tugging down at his lips. It was a quick transformation, and as he settled down next to Cloud, staring into his empty eyes, it suddenly dawned upon him, that there really was a lot he didn’t’ know about this man. “You’re blind.”

”Huh?” Cloud shifted to his elbows and gaped, much to Squall’s surprised with a smile. “What, you hadn’t noticed? I could’ve sworn I told you a long time ago.”

“No.” Squall’s eyes drew back, and his gaze shifted. “You didn’t.”

“Well, my mistake then.” Shrugging, Cloud slouched over his knees and slung his glasses around his neck, stretching with a yawn as his arms pulled back with a crack, the muscles in his body beginning to tighten and release. As his arms begun to return to his side, Cloud grinned and stared Squall’s way, his eyes snapping ajar. It dawned upon him that now that they were in another city, during a moment where he could be to himself, it was a moment he could take advantage of. And it all started , to Squall’s utmost surprise, with only a few words.

“Hey Squall. Ever gotten drunk before?”

To Squall it was like he and Cloud had suddenly switched personalities. Usually he, being quite the optimist back in Yokokuhen, would be swarming over the drinks and striving to get as drunk as possible, engulfing one glass of the strongest alcohol after the other. But now he couldn’t even touch a glass. He just… stared at the golden liquid as it stirred in the beaker as Cloud took in one after another. Every time the gunblade master turned to look back up at the blonde he had a new glass in hand, the stupidest grin he had ever seen plastered across the reddened portions of his face. It wasn’t before long that Cloud had draped his arms around the gunblade master, mumbled incoherent words and, to Squall’s displeasure, passed out. It didn’t stop there, although, as when Cloud awoke he had a little bit more fun in mind. (Hahahaha ^_^; Ooh boy, I’ve never written a yaoi scene before, so um… yeah. And don’t read if you’re sensitive! <<runs>>)

-+-

Releasing his fingers from the soft flesh of Cloud’s chest, Squall stared deeply into his sapphire eyes and panted, his heart racing with millions of thoughts, ideas. His burgundy locks drenched his face and coated his frozen pupils, falling into place over his shoulders as he buried his head deep into the golden tresses of Cloud’s skull. It was like time had frozen, and they were the only two who existed in the world. And Cloud… appeared to have changed underneath. He appeared so innocent and untouched despite everything in his life, and the crimson which had parched his face had begun to bleed away. Now only he was left here for Squall, and a joy the gunblade master had never felt before shifted inside of him. It was a moment he felt could last forever. With only him and the golden angel with black wings. (Umm… please don’t ask how Sora didn’t wake up. He’s a heavy sleeper, ok)

Running a soft, delicate hand down the hourglass embossed on Cloud’s neck, Squall slowly begun to lean before the door cranked open, a loud creak echoing throughout the tiny domicile. A soft voice pulled from the otherside. “Cloud…?”

The heart in Cloud’s chest burst in the utmost fear, and at once begun spurting blood. From underneath Squall Cloud bolted up, in shock staring at where Riku stood in the doorway, speechless.

Ice coated the area, and all was silent, staring Riku’s way. The boy’s arms dropped to his side as the door began close behind him, creaking unto the silence. His beautiful navy eyes were broadened, wide in the furthest shock. He… he couldn’t believe what he was seeing before him… Turning away, Riku’s body begun to tremble as his fingers grasped the doorknob, squeezing it between his fists. This… this human…

Staring after the boy, Cloud’s eyes matured in grief, his arms trembling as they reached out for him. “Riku…”

As the door slammed, quaking the walls and peeling paper, Cloud buried his head into his arms and cursed. Cursed at himself constantly. Riku was never going to forgive him.

As tears begun to flood through his eyes, bleeding through his pupils, it suddenly dawned upon him that Aerith wouldn’t either…

And just the thought of that drove him mad.