PDA

View Full Version : Sleepers: the games that almost were, but weren't...

Journies End
22nd May 2003, 06:45 PM
Sleeper games, games that could have been hits and classics, but due to bad marketing, developer discrimination, or the unfortunate luck of being released adjcent to a mega-hyped up-long awaited-blockbuster hit, nobody seemed to notice or care. This topic is dedicated to the sleeper games that demand recognition!

Gitaroo Man
Platform: PlayStation2
Developer: Koei
Genre: Music/Rhythm
Rundown: You assume the role of U-1, your ordinary teen who has his share of problems: trying to impress your high school cursh, attmpting to get back at the school bully, learning how to skateboard, etc. You'd think that fate would deal U-1 a decent deck, but things get worse(!): one day, after an intense skateboarding lesson you return home to find an evil alien monkey in your room demanding that you hand over your "Legendary Gitaroo". It's at this moment your pet dog tells you that you are the Legendary Gitaroo Man, and it is your destiny to search the universe to collect all 8 Legendary Gitaroos!! WTF?! Your dog turns into a robo-dog-amplifier, hurls you your Lengendary Gitaroo, you transform into Gitaroo Man and the game begins!!
Gameplay: Although Gitaroo Man is your basic Music/Rhythm game like Parappa the Rapper or Space Channel 5, there are a few unique aspects that make this game one of a kind: the use of both the analog stick and the face buttons at the same time! There are four different phases per level. First the CHARGE phase. A rhythm line will trace across the screen and you must follow it with the analog. Sounds easy? If the music takes a sharp dip or rise in pitch, so will the trace line, if the music has a lot of verbrato, the trace line will squiggle like crazy, or if the music has a techno beat expect a lot of abrupt 90 degree and 180 degree turns! All the while you must press the "X" on the beat as well! As long as you stay on the trace line and keep up with the beat, you'll charge your Health Bar up and eneter the ATTACK mode. This mode is just like the CHARGE mode, but with one difference: with every beat you miss or if you fall off the trace line, you loose health! Accuracy is everything!! Next there is the GAURD phase. This phase is all about the face buttons: triangle, square, "X", "O". In this phase your oppent attacks your from four directions: up (triange button), down ("X" button), left (sqaure button), and right ("O" buttion). Keep dodging these attacks because every hit you take majorly decreases Health! Finally there is the FINAL mode. This mode is also like the ATTACK mode but every accurate hit does double damage to your enemy, but likewise, every miss is double damage to you! This is where it really counts and the FINAL phase will determine who is the greater Gitaroo player! There are 12 stages in all, each having a diffrent feel and rhythm. The first stage is classic Rock (your oppnent weilding the "Axe" Gitaroo), stage two is techno J-Pop (an Electric Keyboard Gitaroo Foe), stage three is Jazz/Blues (a Trumpet Gitaroo Boss!)... later in the game there is one guy who has a DJ Mixing Board as his Gitaroo and another level where there is no boss to fight, but you have to play your own Gitaroo flawlessly to impress a girl! It's a surprise that Koei developed this game, because they mosty do war sim games (Dynasty Warriorrs, Dynasty Tactics, Romance of the Three Kingdoms), the visuals are really kooky and outrageos and the plot is simply rediculous (ever seen the anime DigiCharat?)
Why this game never sold well (in America): well, first off this is a Music/Beat game and a lot of American Gamers still haven't caught on to how awesome these games can be. Second, I had to search high and low for this game (the copy I own is the the ONLY copy of this game I have ever seen in a gaming store! You can prolly find it OK online though), also Koei released a very limited copy of these games in the first place. And advertising? None that I ever saw on TV, heck, I never even saw ads in gaming mags. This game was doomed from the get go and any hopes of a sequel are very slim to nil. EGM has recently given this game some publisity awarding it "The Best Game None of You Heartless B*stards Ever Played"... you rock EGM!!

Adz44
23rd May 2003, 07:38 AM
Well, I suppose it's a good game for people who like these type of games. Koei did a good job of Dynasty Warriors 3 (yet to play 4).

Personally, though, I don't like games like Parappa the Rapper and Space Channel 5. I don't like dancing games or music/story games full stop, to be honest. I find them a bit odd. lol Each to their own I suppose.

As for a game I thought deserved more credit, I can't really think of anything at the moment. I'll post something one I have.

Ultarius
29th May 2003, 09:21 PM
The Linux kit for PS2. Never saw any advertising for it, but I have heard that you can do wonders with it. I saw an article for it, though. Once. About a year ago. Well, that's not the point. The point is it includes a USB mouse/keyboard for your PS2, and if you have the broadband adapter, you can surf the Internet on your PS2. Sweet, no?

Music/dance games really do rock. DDR comes to mind. Especially the arcade version...

*drool*...

Wandering Marowak
30th May 2003, 12:51 AM
Eternal Darkness.

The best Gamecube game nobody bought.

PNT510
30th May 2003, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Wandering Marowak
Eternal Darkness.

I was under the impression that this game did quite well.

Adz44
30th May 2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Wandering Marowak
Eternal Darkness.

That game didn't sell very well? That surprises me. I think it's a very clever game. The jokes such as 'the controller in port 1 is not inserted' hallucination had me going. lol

Zup
30th May 2003, 06:45 PM
Two letters, two numbers: EB64.

No doubt on that one.

Elekidkid
24th June 2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Adz44
That game didn't sell very well? That surprises me. I think it's a very clever game. The jokes such as 'the controller in port 1 is not inserted' hallucination had me going. lol

Yeah, I love those insanity effects. I remember once when my friends were over the effect where the volume 'lowers' happened and, even though it looked nothing like th volume on my TV, I started yelling at my friends for messing with the volume. Also, I'm pretty sure that wasn't sleeper. I would say that a great sleeper is Wario Ware. From what I've heard not too many people have bothered playing it, but everyone that I know who's played it is in love with it. Also, that Mario Party E-Reader game is prety awesome.

nick
24th June 2003, 03:20 PM
Amplitude for PS2. It's a music/beat game with real bands such as P.O.D., Blink 182, Slipknot, Pink, Papa Roach, Weezer, and Slipknot. Amplitude was the sequel to Frequency, which also had addictive game play but it did not sell well since not many of the bands were heard of. Sony went out and got all these 'mainstream' bands for Amplitude and from what I heard it didn't sell well either. Target marked it down to $18.88 for a few weeks only about 2 months after the release. It scored 8.8 on Gamespot, and 9.3 on IGN PS2 while winning PS2 game of the month on IGN for March. It's a shame, it's addictive and it has great online and offline multiplayer.

Elekidkid
24th June 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by kurai's servant
Amplitude for PS2. It's a music/beat game with real bands such as P.O.D., Blink 182, Slipknot, Pink, Papa Roach, Weezer, and Slipknot. Amplitude was the sequel to Frequency, which also had addictive game play but it did not sell well since not many of the bands were heard of. Sony went out and got all these 'mainstream' bands for Amplitude and from what I heard it didn't sell well either. Target marked it down to $18.88 for a few weeks only about 2 months after the release. It scored 8.8 on Gamespot, and 9.3 on IGN PS2 while winning PS2 game of the month on IGN for March. It's a shame, it's addictive and it has great online and offline multiplayer.

I forgot about Amplitude. I played a demo of it at Target, it's pretty awesome. It's a shame that some of these games get overlooked.

freshmex
24th June 2003, 03:44 PM
Jet Grind Radio and Space Channel 5, both cost $5, go buy them now.

kurai
24th June 2003, 03:52 PM
Pretty much every decent game that came out on the Dreamcast applies. They're popular within the people that know about them on the Dreamcast, of course, but that is a choice group.

The Decapitated Mole
25th June 2003, 09:47 PM
Well, this game wasn't released, but it died for kinda the same reason.

Space Quest

17 years ago, back in 1986, The Sierra On-Line gaming company released a little old adventure game called Space Quest 1: The Sarien Encounter, a game with 16 color EGA graphics, great color, humor, and puzzles, and a great storyline. [you are a bad space janitor who saves the universe] It sold well, so they made Space Quest 2, then 3, 4[First SQ with VGA, 4 CD Version [with voice actors and better graphics], 5, and 6. All these games sold fairly well, for the time. After SQ6 in 1996, Sierra packaged all of the SQs into the SQ Collection. It bombed, so they decided to cancel the SQ7 project [which was already in progress] and end SQ. They later stopped production of all of their original adventure game titles, the games that made their company great and famous, which is why these games are not available in stores anymore.
Well, a year or two ago, SQ fans around the world heard rumors that another company, Escape Factory, was working on a new SQ game for sierra. These rumors were "confirmed" when, on a game sellie thingie site, there was found a game for both PS2 and XBOX titled Space Quest, with the genre listed as Adventure, publisher unknown, picture unavailable. We heard from an annamed source that Sierra wanted the new SQ game to have nothing to do with the old ones, and wanted nobody working on the game to even look at the old ones.
Unfortunately, the game was discontinued, and it is suspected that it was escape factory, because on their website there was an announcement stating that their "secret project" had, unfortunatly, been cancelled. Soon afterwards it was taken off the gaming site, and nothing has been heard about it since. Thus dies, again, another Space Quest game. [To read all about every Space Quest game that has, is, and will be coming, you can go to SpaceQuest.net (http://www.spacequest.net)

It's unfortunate.

Also, I'm not sure if this sold well or not, but nobody seems to have heard of it. A great game called frequency, you have to make music and such, it's the most fun and addictive game I've played since the original Pacman and Mario Bros. [It's for PS2]

Mewfour
26th June 2003, 11:02 PM
Metroid II for the oldskool GameBoy....... in Japan anyway.

Duo_Washu_III
27th June 2003, 03:43 PM
X-play said there was a game called purge that had multi player, but there was NO ONE PLAYING. plus, it was a little bit of an rpg, but it didn't make so well, a 1 out of 5.