PDA

View Full Version : Why?

AKA Pokemon Fan
23rd May 2003, 10:03 AM
This pertains to my older topic where I got my hopes up for what appeared to be widescreen Pokemon DVDs. Sadly, it turned out to be false advertising. Anyway, does anyone have any idea why the dubbers don't release the Pokemon movies on DVD and VHS in their correct formats? Can it really be that they think kids hate the bars on the top and bottom of the screen that much? Do they think we don't notice how horribly cut up the movie ends up looking? Is there any place where the people in charge of this might be contacted?

I for one really hope that Pokemon will start being treated with the respect other anime is beginning to get in America and elsewhere. It's just sad having to watch a beautiful movie like like the 4th with almost a third of the screen missing. :(

Pidgeot018
23rd May 2003, 01:39 PM
I have never known anyone to prefer full screen over widescreen. I don't know why they do it. And not just Pokémon movies, but any movie.

BenRG
23rd May 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
I for one really hope that Pokemon will start being treated with the respect other anime is beginning to get in America and elsewhere. It's just sad having to watch a beautiful movie like like the 4th with almost a third of the screen missing. :( I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you, John. Pokémon, being a 'kiddie craze' is held in total contempt by all parties concerned, including its' American and European distributors. Expect them to undertake only the minimum effort in releasing videos and so forth. Why? Because they don't want to make a loss by pouring resources into a 'dying' franchise.

Until Pokémon gets a distributor who really wants to distribute the films and episodes, then we won't get decent releases of anything. :mad:

Entropy
24th May 2003, 06:54 AM
You pretty much said what I would have, Ben. If anything, ignorant Western business has placed Pokemon where it is today in terms of the anime. All they care about is $$$.

Hanada Tattsu
24th May 2003, 09:52 AM
Well, I prefer Fullscreen over Widescreen, but that's my opinion, even though seeing the Pokemon films and episodes in both formats is a treat.

However, I wanna see the fifth movie recieve this kind of treatment, along with all the other movies. See, when the fifth movie comes out, I want them to re-release all the other films on VHS/DVD too, kinda like the Disney films.

They can be THX-Certified, and Digitally Remastered and Restored, with Bonus Features for the DVD and stuff, treatment that the anime deserves.

ralts_mudkip
24th May 2003, 10:55 AM
I agree with evrything you just said. :yes:

AKA Pokemon Fan
24th May 2003, 12:52 PM
The thing I don't get is wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to release the movies in their original formats instead of spending money cutting it up into Fullscreen?:confused:

BenRG
24th May 2003, 02:24 PM
Well, it isn't that simple. It is true that there is a certain amount of processing required to turn a movie from the normal widescreen (16:9) to TV (4:3) format. However, it is still cheaper, as making a widescreen video these days requires that you add some non-visual information onto the video track so that the video player can 'read' it and select what widescreen mode is best for this video.

Besides that, I think that you need a certain type of equipment to create a master of a widescreen tape. Releasing in TV format is probably saving Miramax literally hundreds of dollars (irony intended)! :rolleyes:

Hitori
24th May 2003, 09:11 PM
False advertising? Do you mean it was directly stated on the box that it was widescreen?

Hanada Tattsu
24th May 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Hitori
False advertising? Do you mean it was directly stated on the box that it was widescreen?

I think John meant that on the site he ordered it from it stated that the film was in widescreen, while it was in full screen.

AKA Pokemon Fan
25th May 2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
I think John meant that on the site he ordered it from it stated that the film was in widescreen, while it was in full screen.
Correct, ah how my hopes were dashed upon the rocks...:(

Hanada Tattsu
25th May 2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
Correct, ah how my hopes were dashed upon the rocks...:(

John, did they respond again after the generic apology letter? I would be very angry if they just sent you one apology letter.

I would at least send the guy some kind of Pokemon merchandise or something, as apology.

AKA Pokemon Fan
27th May 2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
John, did they respond again after the generic apology letter? I would be very angry if they just sent you one apology letter.

I would at least send the guy some kind of Pokemon merchandise or something, as apology.
No more responses, but I got my money back at a local walmart so I'm not going to fuss over it any more.

Pewter City Geodude
27th May 2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Pidgeot018
I have never known anyone to prefer full screen over widescreen.

Then you haven't worked at Wal-Mart or most of the video rental stores here. :rolleyes: Most people prefer full screen because they "don't like the black bars" and that's adults I'm talking about. I used to always get asked if a certain movie was widescreen or full screen, or if it was widescreen, if we had it in full screen.

Hanada Tattsu
27th May 2003, 07:26 PM
Well, John, at least you got your money back. That's pretty good, but I still would have given him something besides his refund.