PDA

View Full Version : All these new pokes

Turks
16th December 2002, 07:39 PM
is it just me..... or dose it seem new pokes are gettin' kinda wierd? I mean, the first starters ruled (i loved my bublba) and the G/S starters are alright (cinda is cutie) but these new guys look wierd! The fire bird starter turns into a fighting/fire?! WTF, it looks like a walking bird and its fighting?! and come on, ya gotta admit these new pokes look a little strage. i mean the steel fly trap looks like something a crack head dreamed up, or something from a metal music video. lol

Runpapa
16th December 2002, 08:00 PM
Well one thing, the first batch of Pokemon were pretty bland and unordinary. And what attracts the eye are vivid colors and irregular shapes.

In other words, if Bulbasaur were to be introduced in Ruby/Sapphire, it most likely have more than two colors. Perhaps its bud would have decorative spots or markings. Think about the additional markings given to the RBY starters in the 1st Pokemon movie. I wouldn't mind the original Pokemon to more physical details.

And I happen to like the 'flytryp'. :no:

Nodoka
16th December 2002, 08:02 PM
New things are always considered unusual. Electabuzz has such odd markings. As does Parasect and Lickitung.

Scythemantis
16th December 2002, 08:03 PM
Is that supposed to be a negative thing? Pokemon are monsters. They're supposed to be wild and unique. A humanoid, flightless, fighting firebird is a LOT more original and interesting than a plain old phoenix, or a firebreathing dragon like charizard. If the flytrap was a grass type, it'd make more "sense", but that would boring and stupid. I'm not saying pokemon based on totally normal animals are bad or anything...Raticate is one of my all time favorites, but the point is that it takes a CREATIVE mind to think up freaky creatures noone else would ever expect.

However, when you get right down to it, nothing in pokemon has ever been more absurd and amazing than anything in nature. I should know, I'm a pathetic zoology nerd. In the real world, there's a beetle that sprays explosive boiling hot acid out of its rear end when it gets angry. There is a type of barnacle that discards 99% of its body, enters a crab, and turns into a network of veins controlling the crabs movement like a puppet. One variety of tropical ant defends its nest by swelling with poison and exploding. There is a salamander with poisonous ribs that it sticks out of its own skin to jab predators, a bird in galapagos sucks blood, and have you ever seen a vampire squid? Few pokemon are freakier than onna those.

Madelyn151
16th December 2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Scythemantis
have you ever seen a vampire squid? Few pokemon are freakier than onna those.

heh. the thing with my bio class last year is that we had this new teacher (who got fired ^_^). and she DID NOT KNOW HOW TO TEACH. she was used to teaching catatonics in the bronx... she wasn't used to, like, students talking back and stuff. anyway, here was a typical day in my class :

teacher : and, you see, glucose...
umm, let's just call this guy jp : what about giant vampire squids?
teacher : well, that's actually a very interesting topic. *on and on for like 50 minutes*

then i went to english. it was a friday. we had "your topic" discussions on friday.

teacher : who wants to talk about something today?
me : my bio class gets distracted too much...

and, i swear, we went on for the entire hour about our bio classes. like, nobody else was in mine, but the other bio honors teacher that year was also, like, crazy. for example, he tossed a fetal pig around the school. only difference between his class and my class : they learned stuff. they did well on the regents. ^_^

...that wasn't spam.

anyway.

i liked the rby starters. what can i say? there is ALWAYS nostalgia (ahhhh, the days i couldn't walk out of my house in the game because i couldn't figure out where the door was, and when i picked bulbasaur as my starter, because i thought the pokemon were numbered in order of their goodness, like bulbasaur = #001 = #1 pokemon). plus, there's charizard. the entire char family rocks. i recently restarted my yellow game, and i am SERIOUSLY considering leaving my in-game charmander unevolved, because it's THAT cute (heh me = n00b). i LOVE the gsc starters, perhaps because the entire cyndaquil family (i love them! cyndaquil is SO cute in the show, quilava is awesome looking in stadium, and typhlosion just rocks) and meganium families are, like, my favorites. the totodile family, eh, i like totodile, it's really cute in the game/tv, but croconaw = ugh. and feraligatr's not much better... but it's a crocodile/alligator, and those rock, so it's cool. ^_^ but, these new rs pokemon? no no no. ugh. treeko is cool, and his first stage of evolution ROCKS. right up there with typhlosion. but then, his final form... it would be so much cooler if it didn't have that tail. torchic is cute, but his two other evolutions are ugly and freakish. mudkip's adorable, his second form is even cuter, but his third form? o_O;; it's not just ugly, it's oogly!

Turks
16th December 2002, 08:46 PM
There is a type of barnacle that discards 99% of its body, enters a crab, and turns into a network of veins controlling the crabs movement like a puppet

Really?! thats hella cool. link me up! i wanna read about this thing! thats hella cool, i love it!

Thats the coolest thing ever, a real life puppet master! i wonder if they can infect anything.

on a side note........ that flytrap just buggs the hell outa me! i cant get over how F'ed up it is! it looks so frickin' wierd. not that i dont mind wierd stuff, but this thing looks like a frickin' stoners sketch book cover. its hella wierd. i might understand if it was part grass...... but steel? lol

but anyway, i just think some new pokes look alot more odd, and it just buggs me a big. also alot of pokes are looking a bit robotic too.... just a few pet peevs

Scythemantis
16th December 2002, 09:24 PM
This page (http://www.bio.utk.edu/Neils.nsf/9b4b43f8789f398785256419006803bd/3134b184437bad408525698e00541448?OpenDocument) is short and entirely text but explains everything about the barnacle and a few other parasites that also take control of their victims. I also found this photo (http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por23gif/Sacculina-colour.jpg) of a male crab with the parasite's eggs hanging out of it...the barnacle destroyed its reproductive organs to make room for its own eggs. Cruel!!!

I could go on about my newbie days in pokemon too. I thought that if something evolved a "special" way, like trading/stones, that meant it was optional and it was just as powerful without being evolved :P .... I still always use an unevolved gloom, though, because its my favorite. I hardly care if it dies quick. Heck, i'd use a metapod too, just to be funny, but I can't keep sacrificing space on my teams >:P

Omega Havoc
16th December 2002, 09:35 PM
the only gripe with the new starters with me is that the fire goes into fire/fighting,the water goes into water/ground but the grass just stays grass,why must the grass type pokemon get the shaft in every game?

Turks
16th December 2002, 10:34 PM
This page (http://www.bio.utk.edu/Neils.nsf/9b4b43f8789f398785256419006803bd/3134b184437bad408525698e00541448?OpenDocument) is short and entirely text but explains everything about the barnacle and a few other parasites that also take control of their victims. I also found this photo (http://www.hku.hk/ecology/porcupine/por23gif/Sacculina-colour.jpg) of a male crab with the parasite's eggs hanging out of it...the barnacle destroyed its reproductive organs to make room for its own eggs. Cruel!!!

I could go on about my newbie days in pokemon too. I thought that if something evolved a "special" way, like trading/stones, that meant it was optional and it was just as powerful without being evolved :P .... I still always use an unevolved gloom, though, because its my favorite. I hardly care if it dies quick. Heck, i'd use a metapod too, just to be funny, but I can't keep sacrificing space on my teams >:P

thanks for the info man, i love you. that was really nice to go out and find that 4 me. really intaresting, i wanna learn more, thats hella cool. thanks a mill, really fasinating

BTW, am i the only one who wants to see a HorseshouCrab pokemon? lol

Red Angel
16th December 2002, 10:56 PM
I think a lot of the new pokeys are neat, and i'd just love to have some on my team... sure a lot of the R/B/Y guys were great... but then came G/S, which made a few cooler, like Crobat and Steelix, but just brutaly beat some others with an ugly stick <looks at Kingdra>... and of corse some of the new pokemon were nice... but, IMHO, the R/S guys kick @$$! I mean, out of the new pokes, I like 57 of them (like the chubby sumo/ karate guy in your sig, Turks)... i'm just ranting on and on and on... I'll stop now...

Latios24
16th December 2002, 11:07 PM
You know what? I used to thought so too. I had to be if not the most critical person when it came to these new pokemon. I mean, when some sites started revealing all the new pokemon. I just became whack and whine and fuss like a baby. But I think I gotten to the point where they seem "ok" to me. Like they're kinda growing on me. Although I still hate the Reji's gut.

Scythemantis
17th December 2002, 12:06 AM
Horseshoe crabs are one of several things I was expecting some pokemon to be based on. Of course, there's always future games. They'lle probably make one since there are always tons of water types and they'lle wind up low on ideas for them :P Unlike others I don't complain about water being so common, since half of all animals live in water anyway!

I was dissapointed with the r/s AND g/s pokemon when I first saw them but they grew on me fast.

Vex 47
17th December 2002, 12:19 AM
the only gripe with the new starters with me is that the fire goes into fire/fighting,the water goes into water/ground but the grass just stays grass,why must the grass type pokemon get the shaft in every game?

I think that maybe Nintendo was trying to compensate for Bulbasaur being grass/poison right off the bat.

possessed
17th December 2002, 09:02 AM
I think Kabuto is as close to a horseshoecrab as you can get.
To me, the weirder the pokémon the better!

Darkgel
17th December 2002, 12:29 PM
The weirder, the better.

That's why I like Mewtwo.

I mean, it's OK if there're Pokémon based on weird real animal species (like Tyranitar, who's based on a devil animal from Australia, or the fire turtle, who's obviously based on the Galapagos turtles... Or Kasbuto, who is an EXACT REPLICA of a prehistoric aquatic beetle...) but I like best the weird ones, like Onigoori, the ice ball, or Gastly/Haunter/Gengar/Misdreavus.

The weirdness reflects imagination.

Or mental illness.

But it's good anyways.

Turks
17th December 2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by possessed
To me, the weirder the pokémon the better!

Yeah...... but the steel fly trap and the water/grass poke in possessed's sig are just too much!

Nodoka
17th December 2002, 07:38 PM
>I was dissapointed with the r/s AND g/s pokemon when I first saw them but they grew on me fast.

It is natural to fear what is new, and to rely on what has already come. However everything takes some getting used to.

>Yeah...... but the steel fly trap and the water/grass poke in possessed's sig are just too much!

That would be Kuchiito and Runpappa. Yes they are very cool. I like Furaigon, Sorurokku and Runaton.

Turks
17th December 2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Nodoka

>Yeah...... but the steel fly trap and the water/grass poke in possessed's sig are just too much!

That would be Kuchiito and Runpappa. Yes they are very cool. I like Furaigon, Sorurokku and Runaton.

no, i ment the steel flytrap and the water/grass(final) are too much, as in they went too fat, they aren't cool (IMO water/grass final is lame and flytrap is just too wierd)

GYARAD0S
17th December 2002, 08:21 PM
I think they're making up for some of the shapeless GS pokemon that took 6 seconds to sketch out (Hoppip? Quagsire? Ugh). Some of these new guys aren't just "weird", they're well thought up of.. Rekkuza is just awesome, he's the coolest looking dragon since Gyarados. And Boomanda is so much better than sissy Dragonite. None of the previous legendaries can come close to the newest 5 (and I am NOT including the robots, those really do suck ***). And I think Jucain is really cool, and the firebird starter is much more well thought up than Typhlosion.

There are still mistakes of course, like the water starter and the robots, but all the games have its uglies.. I just think this one has less worthless pokes and more cool ones.

Hyozanryu
17th December 2002, 08:33 PM
Well, I guess the creators ran out of ideas when they created the Reji's, if you notice, R/B/Y had Zapdos/Articuno/Moltres, G/S/C= Entei/Raikou/Suicune. I tlooks like the three "less important" legandaries of each series are based on house pets (Alot of people thought Suicune was a cat, not a dog, so they counted as two pets), so what pet was Nintendo gonna use next? Legendary hamsters? So give Nintendo a break, they gave time to think up over 100 new pokes. (Even though the Reji's are just ugly):P

Scythemantis
17th December 2002, 09:50 PM
The birds were cool, but nothing incredibly original. The dogs I didn't find interesting or creative at ALL. Everyone in the world disagrees with me, but I think the rejii's are the best set of legendaries yet.

I still like Kuchiito. The fact that it's so weird is what makes it great. A steel thing with a giant mouth on its back.

Turks
17th December 2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Hyozanryu
(Even though the Reji's are just ugly):P

Well i agree (they are the 3 robot looking doods right?) but i thought the steel one looked apropret. i hate the red and blue birlds though, they look fugly....... and i hate the Blue box art guy, but the ruby's is killer

Nodoka
17th December 2002, 10:16 PM
>The dogs I didn't find interesting or creative at ALL.

I agree. We go from geneticly altered Legendarys and birds. Then we go to dogs. I was dissappointed.

>but I think the rejii's are the best set of legendaries yet.

Agreed. The Reji are my favorite RuSa pokemon. Why? They are like Golems. No, not the Pokemon Golem. I mean the mythological Golems. They are magical guardians and are robot-like. Now lets compare unoriginal dogs, that are also unattractive (except for Entai), to these Reji. They are simply breathtaking.

Scythemantis
17th December 2002, 11:07 PM
Huge, solid heaps of stone and steel and ice stomping around is pretty impressive if you ask me. The problem with the dogs, to me, was that they were too "busy"...they had too many little multicolored parts on them that didn't match. If they had to do canines, they could've made them wolf-like instead of like domestic dogs. But I'm a cat person...

Turks
17th December 2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Nodoka
[B>but I think the rejii's are the best set of legendaries yet.

Agreed. The Reji are my favorite RuSa pokemon. Why? They are like Golems. No, not the Pokemon Golem. I mean the mythological Golems. They are magical guardians and are robot-like. Now lets compare unoriginal dogs, that are also unattractive (except for Entai), to these Reji. They are simply breathtaking. [/B]

i love the steel guy (looks like robot) but the other 2 (ice and ground) just dont look up to par, but the idea is comendable enough.

Azura Stardust
18th December 2002, 01:59 AM
I think Reji-Steel and Rock were ok, but a little tacky. I think the perspective they drew the pokemon in weren't too nice. And Reji-Steel was just tooo... uh...bendy. The hand looked wobbly. >_< And as for Ice... ok, that was a bit of a mistake, IMHO. It looks a little too... um, chunky? There's just something odd with it... can't put my finger on what, though...

I thought it was cool that they had braille where their eyes should be, though. :)

The Rusted One
18th December 2002, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Turks
no, i ment the steel flytrap and the water/grass(final) are too much, as in they went too fat, they aren't cool (IMO water/grass final is lame and flytrap is just too wierd)

The water/grass final IS Runpappa.

And people, the three legendaries from G/S/C were NOT all dogs - have you people not heard of the over-used and cliched "Sabre-toothed Tiger"? Remind you of one of them? Raikou, perhaps? Entei is a liondog, and Suicune is a dog. So it goes from cat to dog through the "transitional" Entei.