PDA

View Full Version : Princess Mononoke: Your opinion

Rambunctious Jamirus
24th May 2003, 07:34 PM
Okay, I have an obsession at the moment that won't give me much peace. I would like to know for those who have seen Princess Mononoke (by the same person who made Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service), what did you think of it?

I, personally, enjoyed the movie. The colours were astounding and the Gods are amazing. The kodama were adorable as well as the Deer God and Yakul. The voices fitted with the character's personality in the Japanese version of the movie. The best thing about the movie is that there are no bad guys or good guys, each person is going in hat they think is right for others. The only thing I found disturbing was Billy Bob Thorton playing Jiko. The accent didn't fit the monk too well. For an score, I give it a 9 out of 10.

UmbreonCurse
24th May 2003, 09:39 PM
My god, I love this movie. It's one of my favorite movies of all time, I liked it much more that "Spirited Away", in fact. It's a beautiful story with memorable characters, and it was nice to not have a little girl as the main character for once. And I agree that the way there was no set "villain" and how each side was fighting for what they thought was right, and how A****aka was in a way supporting both sides so they could live in peace, and how at the end both sidwe realised that..sort of. (EX: "Huh. I didn't know the forrest spirit made the flowers grow" One of my favorite lines) That was one of the things I loved most about it. The ending also let a space for a possible sequal, but really I doubt a sequal could be made and really match the magic of the first. I give it a 10/10

KaptainSarcasm
25th May 2003, 06:31 AM
This movie was good and all, but nothing beats Kiki's Delivery Service when it comes to Miyazaki. You just gotta love the talking cat, Jiji.

About Mononoke, it was probably the fourth anime I ever saw, durring my initial consumption stage where I cleared out the local Blockbuster for a good two weeks. First I, of course, saw Akira (Who DOESN'T start out with Akira?), then Ninja Scroll, then the crappy Final Fantasy series, Legend of the Crystals, and next I saw Mononoke. My friends teased me for months about liking Mononoke more than Akira, but I told them to buzz off, and quickly developed a crush on Camron Diaz.

I like this movie for a number of reasons: First off, the plot itself. There were three sides, as opposed to the regular two. There was San and the forest in general, Jigo and his warrior monks/the Emporer, and Lady Eboshi and her Iron Town. In the middle of it all, we have peacefull A****aka, whose name will be forever filtered out on TPM. Although the boy made some bad judgements, ya gotta love him.

Next, we have the musical score. That goddam flute piece. I'll have that in my head forever. Amazing.

Then, the artwork. It's Miyazaki, people. 10/10. The wolves were so cute!

And finally, the voice acting. Not the best I've ever heard (That award goes to Escaflowne), but pretty damn good. Minnie Driver really pulled her wieght. I was pleasantly suprised. This movie and Good Will Hunting made me a Minnie Driver fan.

Phew. I think I'm done.

Misty's Tears
25th May 2003, 09:11 PM
I had heard a lot about this movie but had never actually seen it. Around two weeks ago i just went out and bought it; it was amazing. The plot is rich with a cast of unique characters, action, suspense, and mystery. The story of the ties between men and gods, A****aka's afflicition, iron town, they all come to mix in a shake up where those with the strongest desires try to prevail. The Artwork and musical score is just execellent, the movie will stay with you long after you watch it. I thought it was great, anyone who hasn't seen it is really missing out.

Asilynne
25th May 2003, 10:56 PM
Princess Mononoke is AWESOME. The animation is awesome, the storyline is awesome, the characters are very well developed and the backgrounds are SO realistic. When Ashi-taka is walking through the rain towards the end and the clouds pass over the sun and keep moving it looks so real its amazing that its animated. I LOVE this movie and I could watch it a million times and not get sick of it ^-^

Roarkiller
27th May 2003, 07:05 AM
After reading all the posts above, i think its safe to concluded that every single one of u only watched the dubbed version. Prolly even watched the dubbed version of the other movies too.

I dunno bout u guyz, but hanging out at ghibli fan sites and forums, i can tell u one thing: every ghibli otaku will tell u that sub pwnz dub like totally hands down. Dont get me wrong, i got nothing against dubs to be frank, its juz that some of the voice actors really screw up the characters, most noticeably for me is Yubaaba's voice (gawd, she sounded so MILD compared to the japanese Yubaaba).

In terms of storyline, i suppose mononoke hime would be among the best in studio ghibli. But most ghibli otakus actually consider MH to be only average when compared to Laputa (castle in the sky) and Nausicaa, even Spirited Away, which, if u really read into the movie, is much deeper than u might imagine.

But i guess one good point bout MH is that the ending isnt as rushed as half the other ghibli movies, and is prolly easier to understand.

Which brings me to a point i never miss when recommending ghibli movies: go watch Mimi wo Sumaseba (Whisper of the Heart), its a real nice and heartwarming movie.

KaptainSarcasm
27th May 2003, 09:12 AM
I did only see the dub of Mononoke, but I've seen the Japanese version of Kiki and Spirited Away. I would have seen the Japanese version, but my friend never lent me his DVD. :mad: