PDA

View Full Version : What's the best episode?

Bacl
25th May 2003, 12:16 AM
If the ship was sinking and you could only save ONE episode, which would it be and why?

My personal favorite is is "Tricks Of The Trade." I really enjoyed this episode, and felt it brought out the best qualities of Pokemon anime.

The traders festival was fantastic. I really got a sense that towns would have Pokemon events like this one in the Pokemon world. The idea (and execution) of trading Pokemon has always been much more interesting in the anime then in the games. We saw all kinds of Pokemon offered as trades, as well as interest in some of our heroes Pokemon. When that one kid offered Ash an Onix for his Tauros I actually shouted out "Deal!" :)

This episode also marked the introduction of Wobuffett, who has since become a beloved character. I swear to the heavens above that the night before this episode aired I encountered (and caught) a wild Wobuffett in Pokemon Gold and had never before seen or heard of this Pokemon. I found the fact it only fought as a means of defense fascinating and original, and was thrilled when I saw that very Pokemon become a main character the next morning. If Ash had been smart he'd have Traded Benny one of the other Tauros he has at the lab for Wobuffett. Heck, he could have traded all but his prize Tauros at the festival and wound up with like thirty new Pokemon.

The other great thing about this episode is that Team Rocket attacked everyone, and not just Ash. They stole everyone's pokeballs and you got the feeling that massive thefts like this are more the style of the Team Rocket organization. Also, it wasn't just Ash who defeated Team Rocket, but rather, everyone working together and calling out their Tauros.

The Tauros cometition was a great side event, natch. One minute of this was more fun watching then an hour of standard Team Rocket "Mecha-pokemon" attacks from other episodes.

Last but certainly not least was the return of the Magikarp salesman. This was simply genious. This was the proper festival for him to show up at, and it was a nice piece of contunuity to see him again. But what was the best part? James came so close to falling for it AGAIN! Needless to say I cheered and laughed out loud constantly during this episode, and that has never happened with any other episode.

If the ship was sinking, I'd take this one episode with me to watch again and again.

Nace
25th May 2003, 02:49 AM
"showdown in dark city" hands down. No other episode comes close.

Animelee
25th May 2003, 03:13 AM
I cannot pick a favourite. I love 'em all! :D

Ikujinonai
25th May 2003, 03:57 AM
I'm one of those kinds of people who like the first episodes of things, because the first episode actually has meaningful exposition that seems like the story is going somewhere. Usually the first episode leaves you a taste wanting for more, hence the need for the second episode. The first episode introduces all the characters and the experience is akin to that of meeting new people (as a whole, not as an invidiual). It is the first episode where the rules are established and the laws are set. Ergo, "Pokémon! I Choose You!" is my favorite Pokémon episode.

Hanada Tattsu
25th May 2003, 09:10 AM
If a ship was sinking, I would take Tentacool and Tentacruel with me. Why, you ask?

Well, this episode is probably one of the best of season 1. Horsea is introduced and caught, and the plot is great, as is the BGM for this episode. We see a bunch of our heroes' Pokemon, that never emerge for battle, like Zubat or Goldeen, so it is indeed a great episode, my favorite.

Osiris
25th May 2003, 10:20 AM
"Bad To The Bone" The Best Episode Ever!

- Atoshi Was a Great Character!
- Lots of Trainers With Lots Of Different Badges!
- Jesse "Working Along" and nearly cath Doduo!
- The Battle "Bulbasaur Vs Marowak"
- Flashbacks from The Gym Leader's Battles!

UmbreonCurse
25th May 2003, 12:26 PM
Only one you say? Hmmm...I'd have to say Island of the Giant Pokemopn. Why? Mainly because of the subtitles (I still think they should have more eppies like this), which let us more into the pokemon's personalities with some wonderfully memorable quotes ("I have no family, just call me an orphan"). Now if only Brok and Misty's pokemon were lost aklong with them..now THAT would have ruled immensely. Plus for some reason I found the giant pikachu hilarious (I have no idea why)

Osiris
25th May 2003, 01:27 PM
In The Spanish Version of "Island of the Giant Pokemon" the Pokemon has voice!! It's Great!

Bacl
25th May 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Osiris
In The Spanish Version of "Island of the Giant Pokemon" the Pokemon has voice!! It's Great!

That's amazing! That must have been a real blast to watch.

Hanada Tattsu
25th May 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Osiris

OMG! The only time in the series where one of the group's Pokemon talk, that's so amazing!

I wish the Japanese version and the English dub that, I wanna see it now.

POKEMASTERMARIO
25th May 2003, 09:49 PM
Nah you don't missed anything the voices were really bad :P
pikachu had an girl's voice
bulbasaur a horrible one
and charmander...XP

altough I liked it much for those reasons of the other posts :)

Entropy
26th May 2003, 08:11 AM
I have no favor over others, but I have a few which stand out. 'Battle for the Badge' was a good one as was 'Who Gets To Keep Togepi?'

Hanada Tattsu
26th May 2003, 10:19 AM
Well, if a ship was sinking, I would want to laugh a little bit, so I would take either the unedited, Japanese version of Beauty and the Beach or The Legend of Dratini, because seeing Team Rocket get shot at while saying their motto is hilarious.

Jzman2003
26th May 2003, 10:40 AM
I have to agree w/ UmbreonCurse and say that by far Island of the Giant Pokemon was probably one of the best episodes ever. For all the reasons umbreoncurse said so, yea, those are the kind of episodes you don't see anymore today. What happened to those episodes? I guess todays producers of the show ain't doin $#!T.

Yea, so lately i've been goin on a mad hatin spree on pokemon, but u must ask, why not just stop watchin the show? Well it's cause i've been stuck to it for so long, and it's too hard to just let go. I guess that's what POkemon does to ya.

:wave:

Hanada Tattsu
26th May 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Jzman2003
I have to agree w/ UmbreonCurse and say that by far Island of the Giant Pokemon was probably one of the best episodes ever. For all the reasons umbreoncurse said so, yea, those are the kind of episodes you don't see anymore today. What happened to those episodes? I guess todays producers of the show ain't doin $#!T.

Yea, so lately i've been goin on a mad hatin spree on pokemon, but u must ask, why not just stop watchin the show? Well it's cause i've been stuck to it for so long, and it's too hard to just let go. I guess that's what POkemon does to ya.

I know you're stressed about the fillers, we all are, just hang on, AG is coming, and that season is gonna be one of the best ever, I assure you.

DarkMarowak
26th May 2003, 01:14 PM
My vote goes to "Pikachu Revolts".

It's full of action, the animation was very well done, Team Rocket teams up with Team Twerp, Butch and Cassidy make their apperence for the season, the Pokemon looked totally bad-@$$ when they where under Drowzee's control, and it was great to see Gastly in action!

But "Island of The Giant Pokemon" is a close second. ;)

Hanada Tattsu
27th May 2003, 07:38 PM
How about we also say what game we should take with us?

I would take my Crystal version, lol, it's my best version ever, plus I like it; lol.

E-Leigh-T
28th May 2003, 07:58 AM
I would have to go with "bad to the bone" or "Wired For Battle".
Because both episodes had good stories and battles. And not to forget cool pokemon.

Hanada Tattsu
29th May 2003, 06:10 PM
I love Wired for Battle, as far as I am concerned, Scizor is a great Pokemon. It was cool, the labtop was cool as well, I'd like one of those.

Bacl
29th May 2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
I love Wired for Battle, as far as I am concerned, Scizor is a great Pokemon. It was cool, the labtop was cool as well, I'd like one of those.

Yeah, they definetly could have played with the laptop a little more. I'm sure Misty and Brock, being gym leaders, were on there. I'd like to see what the laptop thought of their battling ability and team choices.

"Hmmm...Brock. According to your profile everyone thinks you're a rock Pokemon trainer, but one look at your team proves otherwise. Maybe you should change your name to something that doesn't rhyme with rock , and then people won't get so confused."

;)

Hanada Tattsu
30th May 2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Bacl
Yeah, they definetly could have played with the laptop a little more. I'm sure Misty and Brock, being gym leaders, were on there. I'd like to see what the laptop thought of their battling ability and team choices.

"Hmmm...Brock. According to your profile everyone thinks you're a rock Pokemon trainer, but one look at your team proves otherwise. Maybe you should change your name to something that doesn't rhyme with rock , and then people won't get so confused."

;)

LOL, well, I think Brock never trained "rock types". He trained tough Pokemon, which is a better acronym than a rock trainer.

Nace
30th May 2003, 08:40 PM
I just remembered the episodes where Ash fought the Orange champion! They rocked too!

Hanada Tattsu
31st May 2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Nace
I just remembered the episodes where Ash fought the Orange champion! They rocked too!

Yeah, those were great episodes. Dragonite VS Charizard was one of the best battles ever, I'm edging to see those episodes again.

Misty
31st May 2003, 07:36 PM
Volcanic Panic all the way

-king of BG music
-battle scenes rock
-charizard
-etc

Pichu Luver
31st May 2003, 09:36 PM
I like em all so I can't REALLy choose a favorite but the ones that I thought were the best was the two Orange Island final battle eppies. I was on edge wondering if Ash would actually win. I actually yelled at the tv screen when he made s***** mistakes and I was reeeeeeeeally happy when he won. The battles were fantastic, I thought so anyway. :D I also loved Showdown at Dark City and The Ninja Poke-Showdown. I laughed soooooo hard during those eppisodes! Pikachu's expression when the ketchup broke was soooo funny XD! Tom Ato, Anne Chovy, and Caesar Salad. That broght tears to my eyes, hehehe . . . Same as running into invisble walls, Misty and Brock think Ash was dead, and having those starts chucked at Ash. Oh I'll remember those for a looooong time! I love to have good laugh. :D In third would be Wired for Battle and Battle of the Badge. Simple because they were very interesting and had pretty decent battles.

~Pichu

Hanada Tattsu
1st June 2003, 10:15 AM
LOL, the music in the final two gym battles of Indigo was different, I wonder why. They kinda remixed the song, like the one where Charizard battled Magmar.

Gravy
1st June 2003, 11:45 AM
Erm...such a difficult decision.....
Erm.....One episode? I guess I'd end up going with 'The Wayward Wobbufett'.
Ahh...what a great filler episode. So random. So slapstick. so Soonansu. The whole episode was great fun to watch, if at times just a tiny bit cliched. Soonansu is my favourite pokemon (next to Caterpie anyway....don't ask) so thats one of the main reasons I loved this episode so much. Team Rocket based episodes are usually the best IMHO. I wasn't too bothered about the lack of battling, seeing as this was a comedy-based edition of Pokemon.
Heh, I still roll around in laughter every time I see Soonansu hit that draw-bridge...thats just how pathetic I am.

If I couldn't take this episode with me, I'd have to choose my favourite AG episode at this time, which would have to be ;Great Danger! Capture in Touka Forest!'.
A humourous episode, due to both Haruka-chan's facial expressions and the whole food incident with the Subame.
Of course, lets not forget the battle between Subame and Pikachu, not the best battle ever, but I loved the fact that Subame was able to withstand the electric onslaught, as well as the limited space pikachu had over the stream.

Chris 2.1
1st June 2003, 01:43 PM
:-oHmm....

5) The 4th round rumble
an excellent battle with good all-round Pokemon. Scyther and Beedrill are cool Pokemon! Jeanette (i think that's her name) put up a great bout with her sporty, dojo-style Bellsprout!

4) Xatu The Future!
Delibird was in.

3) Nerves of Steelix!
cool battle, although Steelix should have body-slammed Cynda and killed it easy :-/ or Cynda could have evolved...hmmm..I wish!

2) Duelling Heroes
NO PUN! Or at least, one I didn't actually get...:-s Nice battles (MY NAME WAS IN! YAY!) Kingdra made its debut, Qwilfish was pretty cool and we got to see Corsola kick some @$$

1) The Wayward Wobbuffet
Just funny. Pure Funny.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd June 2003, 06:40 PM
Oh yeah, another favorite of mine is The Misty Mermaid, I love that episode, the only sad thing is Horsea leaving, but it does actually battle Arbok.