PDA

View Full Version : How hard would it be

Russian666
25th May 2003, 10:19 AM
To code an actual game that was playable online that is like the gameboy engine, anyone have any ideas as to how i can get it started?

cause ive tried playing these types of online games but i just cant seem to agree with it, i mean how hard could it be?

dr._samurai
25th May 2003, 11:08 AM
i dont know how hard it would be, but i dont know why people would want to join it. leveling up to 100 isnt really fun so i dont think people would be battling there. and to link up a gameboy to the computer i think you would need nintendo permission. and also if you decide to change your team you must get another level 100. which is not fun =[

Mana Lugia
25th May 2003, 12:40 PM
very hard. The fact is that if you don't feel like making it, other people prolly don't feel like it either. For GSBOt and Netbattle, all you need to code in are battle mechanics. For your game, you'd need to code out a map, locations, events, etc.

Russian666
25th May 2003, 05:40 PM
well ill make an attempt, i see that it can be really really hard to do so, but i think in the end ppl would prefer it.

As far as ideas come along its not really a problem, i just need to get some ideas on what engines to use if anyone knows, just remember it has to be an isometric game engine like the one used in Diablo 2 or the actual pokemon game.

it seems that ill have to change some names so that i wont get sued but thats ok

i could just fudge on some spelling and change the graphic a bit,

i have most if not all my ideas ready, and i might be looking for some help in the later future but not for now. ill do some resarch on some engines and ill get back to yall but ta ta for now

Russian666

Brain
30th May 2003, 11:04 AM
Actually, it would probably be very easy. The map and events system can be very well done within no more than one or two weeks, if you are familiar enough with the language you are using, and are skilled enough to spontaneously know how to do it.

It's much harder to code the battle system, because you have to pay attention to all details, and copy the game as exactly as you can. Such requirements are trivial if you're going to make a MMORPG, so you can basically make whichever method/engine you like.

But as someone mentioned, the big deal is that a lot of people would probably not want to play it, because training is too tedious. Therefore, if you are heading that way, I would advise making your own battle system from scratch as well, and revise the leveling system to make it more suited to a MMORPG. For example, you could make pokemon level up a lot faster, and you could use totally different "pokemon" than in the real game, with modified attacks. It would be more interesting that way, and also easier to code.