PDA

View Full Version : Insect Army (Open Challenge)

Gladiator
27th May 2003, 06:29 PM
Alright, I thought I'd do this open battle since I have a slot open now. Here are the current rules. I'd prefer a fellow newbie, but anyone will be fine

Type to be used: One Pokemon has to be a bug-type (or dual bug)
Pokemon: 2-2 (Tag Team style)
Order: I choose first, you attack first.
DQ: 3-4 days
Ref: Anyone active or can come up with a reffing in a week or less
Arena: Sunny grassland with several trees scattered about. The arena is 1.5 times larger than the standard arena.

Infantry ahead! Defend the Fort (Pineco, M)

Unleash your rage, Berserker (Charmander, M)

conspiracy
27th May 2003, 06:50 PM
I choose my Scyther, Stryke (M) and my Growlithe, Ash (M)

Ash, use Safeguard to protect from those nasty status effects, then Toxic that Charmander. Then attack the lizard with Body Slam.

Stryke, I want you to try and protect Ash while he puts up a Safeguard, Counter back any attacks that come at you guys.
Then knock that Charmander with a Quick Attack to leave an opening for Ash to Toxic it. Finish by Hedbutting Pineco.

Ash --> Safeguard ~ Toxic ~ Body Slam
Stryke --> Counter ~ Quick Attack ~ Headbutt

Gladiator
27th May 2003, 07:12 PM
Right on! I've already come up with my counter strategy.

Fort, let's go into the offensive. Rolloutx2 into the Growlithe then while still Rolling, activate the Spiky Fortress, to give that Scyther a surprise.

Rolloutx2-Spiky Fortress

Pineco, M
Fort
Sig: Spiky Fortress
Description: Pineco glows a bright blue as he adds extra armor to himself. He then makes it so that his extra armor sticks out as spikes. All physical attacks that his enemy uses on him will cause 2% damage to the attacker. Also all of Fort’s melee attacks get an *1.5 boost. Ranged attacks are not affected. The effect lasts two rounds. Takes three rounds after the effect wears off to be used again.
Type: Bug |Accuracy: 90% |Damage: 0% |Effect: See sig.

Since Counter really only works on one Pokemon, I don't think we should worry much about getting trounced by the Scyther's Counter.

Berserker, we'll want to whomp Scyther's butt with a Fire Blast special attack. Follow with a substitute large enough to survive a Quick Attack, and follow with a Flamethrower on Scyther.

Gladiator
30th May 2003, 01:01 PM
Is there anyone out there who wants to act as referee for this tagteam battle?

Don't Run With Scizors
30th May 2003, 04:35 PM
Round One:
Gladiator's Fort the Pineco and Berserker the Charmander vs. *g_rock*'s Stryke the Scyther and Ash the Growlithe

Stryke stands guard as Ash shrouds himself in a glistening veil of magical properties... but Berserker proceeds to toast and subsequently burn Stryke at range (something Ash could've handled better by himself), and Fort begins to build up his momentum by rolling around the arena, unscathed. (Despite popular belief, Rollout is merely the act of rolling - you'll have to order some actual attacks to get anything out of the built-up momentum.)

Stryke retaliates by charging at Berserker with superhuman speeds... he rams into something, but all of a sudden Berserker is somewhere else. Something's up, but Stryke can't put his claw on it... he KNOWS he ran into something. Ash joins in, hawking a vile, purple loogie at what appears to be Berserker, but the Charmander doesn't seem to notice... Fort contines to roll around unnoticed.

Ash and Stryke continue to gang up on Berserker... Ash leaps up on him from behind, while Stryke bashes him with his head... not exactly the best mode of attack for a Scyther. They've got bladed arms, you know? Anyway, as the two pounce on Berserker, he mysteriously collapses into wisps of ectoplasm... it's not Berserker, but a perfect, mental-blocking lookalike! Their carelessness costs Stryke another Flamethrower bath, courtesy of Berserker. Once again, Fort is ignored, but he prepares himself in case Ash and Stryke turn their attention to him with a layer of nicely spiked armor.

End of Round One Status:
Fort the Pineco: 100%, spiked armor, Class 2 Rollout
Berserker the Charmander: 88%
Stryke the Scyther: 67%, burned
Ash the Growlithe: 100%, Safeguard active for two more actions

Gladiator
30th May 2003, 10:13 PM
I said Rolloutx2 into the Growlithe, not just Rollout. Into meaning I wanted Fort to use Rollout in the direction of the Growlithe. I can't post much tonight, I need to turn in early, and I needed to clear that up. Also, g_rock wanted Scyther to Headbutt my Pineco.

Gladiator
2nd June 2003, 08:52 PM
Alright, I'm on the top! For the moment.

Alright Pineco, we do not want to risk a confrontation with Scyther's Counter. Never attack him unless he heads for you. You are already at Rollout Stage 2, so just run the Growlithe over. If he Protects, don't worry, your spikes will hopefully absorb the impact. Likewise don't worry about Detect, just keep going. If Scyther tries to go for a direct attack on you, then you do the same. The spikes might be able to catch him before he pulls something.

Fort: Steamroll Ashx3
Substitutes: Steamroll Stryke if he goes Melee on you. Use Double Team along with your high speed to avoid Toxic attacks.

Now Berserker, you are the one currently suffering at the moment. You don't have to worry so much about Stryke. Let's keep it safe and Flamethrower his rear-end. We need to cause Ash some suffering. If he heads for you, use Rockslide.

Berserker: Flamethrowerx3 (Stryke)
Substitutes: Rockslide Ash if he attempts an attack on you. Use Double Team to avoid Toxic attacks or Ash's Dig.

Fort "You cannot escape from the moving Fortress!"
Berserker "Why can't we be friends?"

conspiracy
2nd June 2003, 09:24 PM
oooooOOOOOOOooooo..... goody :D

Stryke, I want you to let Ash ride on your back, then fly up in the air and dodge Berserker's flames.

carry Ash and Dodge...... x3 i guess :D

Ash, while your on Styke's back, shoot Flamethrowers at Fort to burn those spikes off. For your last attack, I want you to wait until the lizard has shot his 3rd Flamethrower, then jump off of Stryke and use Body Slam on the lizard. Don't worry about hitting the ground, the overgrown lizard should break your fall ;)

Flamethrower x2 ~ Body Slam off of Stryke's back

Gladiator
5th June 2003, 06:33 PM
Hmm, is it possible for Scyther to dodge with a Growlithe on its back? I would imagine it would weigh them down. Oh well.

Is there a ref available on this forum? Do I have to ask this question for all eternity?

conspiracy
5th June 2003, 09:11 PM
Why don't you let the ref decide...

Growlithe only weighs 42 lbs. Scyther weighs 123 lbs....

*Stryke shows off his muscles*

-________-;;

Gladiator
12th June 2003, 08:55 PM
Berserker: Um, Stryke. You realize that you only have sticks for limbs. The only thing with muscles are your ball-socket joints claws and feet.

Stryke: -_-'

Hehe, you got a point though g_rock, but it isn't going to make a difference unless someone ACTUALLY refs our battle. And there still is the corrections that need to be made to the first ref.

Don't Run With Scizors
13th June 2003, 02:10 AM
Rollout is merely the buildup of momentum so that certain physical full-body attacks gain a boost. If Fort had tried to roll into Ash like you thought should have happened, that would have killed Fort's momentum very quickly, and you wouldn't have gotten much out of it... believe me, not doing what you thought was supposed to happen was in your favor.

And if you're still in the Gameboy mindset that Rollout is just a Rock-type attack with increasing power, watch the episode involving a Donphan vs. Ash's Heracross. In the match, the Donphan started rolling around first, THEN it started sideswiping Ash's Heracross with Double-Edges.

As for a Scyther trying to carry a Growlithe on its back... well, that's where its wings are. Having a Growlithe there would restrict its movement considerably. And even if the Scyther did carry it in its arms, a Growlithe is still a hefty load... you can't expect him to dodge very quickly, if at all.

Round Two:
Fort the Pineco (94%, spiked armor, Class 2 Rollout) and Berserker the Charmander (88%) vs. Ash the Growlithe (100%, Safeguard active for two more actions) and Stryke the Scyther (65%, burned)

Stryke grabs Ash in his bladed arms, attempting to take flight with the heavy burden... he manages to take off, but he's clearly moving a lot slower than usual, and the effort is exhausting... Fort, suddenly deprived of a target, continues to maintain his speed, going faster and faster. Ash, being a considerably smaller target, can do little to protect Stryke from Berserker's flames, but he does spew some at Fort... and misses him completely.

Ash tries again, and this time he does manage to douse Fort in flames, but he barely notices as his rolling quickly snuffs the fire. Another exchange of flames goes by as Berserker torches the sweating Stryke.

Now Ash prepares for a daring maneuver... he leaps out of Stryke's arms, hoping that Berserker will cushion his fall... Well, of course, Berserker doesn't want to be there when he does fall, so he sidesteps. The ground breaks Ash's fall, though... painfully. Fort sideswipes him with spiked armor, and Berserker bashes his head with a small rock, but that's not nearly as painful as the agony he just went through... but it's close.

End of Round Two Status:
Fort the Pineco: 83%, Class 3 Rollout, spiked armor, slightly fatigued
Berserker the Charmander: 88%, mildly fatigued
Stryke the Scyther: 31%, burned, mildly fatigued
Ash the Growlithe: 60% (damage caps), slightly fatigued

conspiracy
14th June 2003, 09:20 PM
Bad, even though it could be better...8145

Stryke, I want you to hide in a tree and use Swords Dance to power yourself up and focus, the battle will be touhg, but we can pull through... Next, Double Team out of the tree and Slash Berserker. He won't even know what hit 'em.

*now here's the tricky part, if at any time a physical attack is thrown at you, then Counter it. If Berserker fires a fire attack at you, then use Light Screen to protect yourself

Swords Dance ~ Double Team ~ Slash

Ash, for some odd reason, you missed... and I mean that. Double team to conceal yourself among the mirror images, then use Take Down on Pineco, finish by blasting it with a Flamethrower.

*Reflect any of Charmander's fire attacks. If Pineco tries to ram you or attack you with the Rollout momentum, use Reflect and move to slow him down completely.

Double Team ~ Take Down ~ Flamethrower

BTW, Spiky Fortress is gone :D *jumps for joy*

Gladiator
15th June 2003, 02:55 PM
Depends on how the ref interprets Spiky Fortress

Okay, Berserker, I want you to watch Stryke and use Swiftx2 on him follow with a Double Team.

Berserker-Swiftx2, Double Team
Subs: If you somehow manage to vanquish the clones, then use Dragonbreath.

Fort, I need you to Double Teamx2 yourself. The clones combined with highspeed velocity will make you hard to hit. Your in Class 3 Rollout, don't go faster just maintain speed. Use Swift on Stryke

Fort-Double Team (maintain speed), Swiftx2 (on Stryke)
Subs: Toxic Ash if he misses on either attack attempt

Don't Run With Scizors
15th June 2003, 06:32 PM
Ash, for some odd reason, you missed... and I mean that.

Two things:

1) Jumping out of a Scyther's arms and landing on top of a Charmander is not a maneuver Growlithes practice regularly.

2) Berserker saw him coming and dodged out of self-preservation. It's not like Pokémon sit there after attacking; they try their best to reduce damage and dodge attacks unless they can't for some reason.

Ironically, Swift wars are not so swift. They're rather boring, in fact.

Round Three:
Fort the Pineco (83%, Class 3 Rollout, spiked armor, slightly fatigued) and Berserker the Charmander (88%, mildly fatigued) vs. Stryke the Scyther (31%, burned, mildly fatigued) and Ash the Growlithe (60%, slightly fatigued)

Everybody makes Double Team images and everybody else wipes them out. Whoopee.

End of Round Three Status:
Fort the Pineco: 83%, Class 3 Rollout, mildly fatigued, one image remaining
Berserker the Charmander: 88%, moderately fatigued, two images remaining
Stryke the Scyther: 27%, burned, enhanced chi, moderately fatigued
Ash the Growlithe: 58%, mildly fatigued

Gladiator
16th June 2003, 09:39 PM
I can't believe this is what four yen pays for these days.

Berserker: You aren't paying him. He gets payed, but not by you
Fort: You get what you pay for.

*Ignore the statements above. We were just kidding around*

Alright, once the Scyther falls, you only have to worry about Ash. Let's focus our power on Stryke.

Alright, first up, I want both of you two to surround Stryke in a way so that your lines of sight are perpendicular to each other's. Berserker, I need for you to send a Flamethrower at him and I need Fort to Headbutt him. Then I want Fort to use Toxic, while Berserker tries to use Rockslide

Berserker-put Stryke in line of sight/Flamethrower (Strike)/Rockslide (Stryke)

Subs: If somehow you can do the first two commands in the same action (sense it seems you can still move while three actions are up) then finish with Fireblast

Fort-position self perpendicular to Berserker's line of sight/Headbutt (Strike)/Toxic (Stryke)

Subs: If somehow you can do the first two commands in the same action then finish with another Headbutt

conspiracy
17th June 2003, 01:30 AM
Good strategy, but paying no attantion at all to Ash will hurt.. possibly... if *whispers to self*

Stryke.... your speed is too great to be conquered... wait until your opponents are lined up, and Quick Attack out of the way of their attacks and Slash the lizard... then Agility out of the way of any other attack...

Quick Attack + Slash (Berserker) ~ Agility

Ash, they think you can't harm them just cuz their focusing on your best friend.. show 'em what you got. Scorch Pineco with a point blank Fire Blast after he gets scorched by Berserker's flamethrower... then Dig underground, Pop-up as close as possible to Berserker and use Toxic on the flaming lizard...

Fire Blast (Fort) ~ Dig ~ Toxic (Berserker)

:wave:

Don't Run With Scizors
17th June 2003, 08:30 AM
I can't believe this is what four yen pays for these days.

Puh-leeze. Even my one line of text is worth more than that.

Besides, it really wouldn't get much more descriptive than that. "Ash summons a few decoys by his side, but they're destroyed by Fort's barrage of shooting stars!"

Round Four:
Fort the Pineco (83%, Class 3 Rollout, mildly fatigued, one image remaining) and Berserker the Charmander (88%, moderately fatigued, two images remaining) vs. Stryke the Scyther (27%, burned, enhanced chi, moderately fatigued) and Ash the Growlithe (58%, mildly fatigued)

*g_rock* finally begins to wise up, but will his efforts save his Pokémon in time? The instant Berserker spews burning flame at Stryke, he nimbly darts out of the way (cutting down one of Berserker's images in the process), leaving Fort and his decoy to be hit by his own partner's "friendly" fire! With no image to get in the way, Ash has no trouble gearing up another kanji-shaped inferno... Fort seems to have trouble rolling the fire out this time.

Stryke manages to escape again as he dodges another Berserker-thrown rock (there really aren't that many here, are there?) and the singed Fort, while Berserker himself gets jumped and kicked in the stomach by two hind paws from the underground Ash...

Both Berserker's last image and Stryke get a faceful of icky poison... like it matters now this late in the game. Berserker hurls another rock at Stryke, who doesn't manage to dodge this time... it doesn't look like Team *g_rock* is going to hold out much longer, even though he does everything he can to keep fighting.

End of Round Four Status:
Fort the Pineco: 45%, burned, Class 3 Rollout, moderately fatigued
Berserker the Charmander: 74%, heavily fatigued
Stryke the Scyther: 12%, burned, badly poisoned, enhanced chi, heavily fatigued
Ash the Growlithe: 58%, moderately fatigued

conspiracy
18th June 2003, 01:46 AM
If this was some million yen battle.. I'd rest :D

Stryke... let's just start some defensive strategies, might burn off some great fatigue, but this way you'll deal some damage before going down. Slash the lizard three times and hopefully get him cut up... maybe he'll die from loss of blood

**Counter any physical attacks, and diminish any special attacks with Light Screen.

Slash ~ Slash ~ Slash

Ash, you're gonna play a big role if we're gonna try and win this battle. Use Swagger to make take their attention away Stryke and make them... mad. They are really gonna want to tear you apart, so use Dig. Rise up to the surface and blast Pineco with a Flamethrower.

Swagger ~ Dig ~ Flamethrower

*runs off to the oven*

I think something's burning......

Gladiator
18th June 2003, 08:40 AM
Alright, since he's gonna insult the both of you, Berserker Dig underground to muffle his insults (Solids are great conducters of sound, but I don't think it would work as well if sound traveled through air first. I'm hoping that's the reason on why it's harder to hear your parents in the other room) then feel free to pop out of the ground. You can easily counter Stryke's orders by using Fireblast immediately before, after, or during Stryke's Slash attacks (timing is everything). End this with a Rockslide on Growlithe

Dig/Fireblast/Rockslide

Fort, your not gifted with Dig, so you are going to hate him, so let's take advantage of that hatred and turn the area he's standing into a Spikes hazard. Maintain speed and use Doubleteam, and then attack with a Headbutt assault

Spikes/Double Team/Headbutt

Gladiator
23rd June 2003, 08:14 AM
Hey, DRWS, if you're too busy to deal with us, we could ask for someone else to substitute for you. (Although I'll probably ask g_rock to do it. I'm not comfortable with asking others for favors), if you still intend to referee, then hop to it.

Don't Run With Scizors
23rd June 2003, 05:49 PM
Sorry about that... I was an unwilling tourist to the Grand Canyon for the weekend. My aunt and cousin wanted to go, and I didn't, but I had to go anyway, so that made me an unwilling tourist. =/

Round Five:
Fort the Pineco (45%, burned, Class 3 Rollout, moderately fatigued) and Berserker the Charmander (74%, heavily fatigued) vs. Stryke the Scyther (12%, burned, badly poisoned, enhanced chi, heavily fatigued) and Ash the Growlithe (58%, moderately fatigued)

Ash wants desperately to protect his own teammate, even if it means putting himself in the way of danger: he roars out a challenge to Berserker and Fort, mocking their cowardly, gang-up-on-poor-Stryke battle style, and they respond in kind... Berserker's tail flares wildly, and he abandons his half-dug hole to swipe at Ash with claws extended - he barely notices Stryke's strike - while Fort bowls him over.

Rage-channeled pummeling is a bit too much for Ash's taste, so he makes his escape tunneling through the floor... Berserker stares down the hole (ignoring another slash from Stryke), while Fort stands by and conjures up a series of images. Berserker's foolishness in standing by the hole earns him a smack from the emerging Ash's paw, however.

Now free from the confines of the whole, Ash spews Greek fire at one of the four Forts now confronting him... the real Fort screeches as flames wash over him, and he's not rolling fast enough to put them out. Berserker continues to ignore Stryke even as he slashes him, instead channeling his rage into punching the taunting Ash. Both Fort and Berserker seem to have released all their anger, however.

End of Round Five Status:
Fort the Pineco: 28%, burned, Class 2 Rollout, mildly heavily fatigued, three images remaining
Berserker the Charmander: 34% (damage caps), very heavily fatigued
Stryke the Scyther: 4%, burned, badly poisoned, enhanced chi wearing off, critically fatigued
Ash the Growlithe: 22%, heavily fatigued

Gladiator
24th June 2003, 05:53 PM
Alright, Stryke's afflictions will be the end of him. Just focus on Ash now.

Fort: Spikes-Rollout-Steamroller
Berserker: Doubleteam-Mudslap-Rockslide

conspiracy
25th June 2003, 12:36 AM
Stryke... we have to give it all you got right now...

Use a Razor Wind to intercept the Spikes and send them right back Pineco. Then protect Ash from the Rollout by Countering it. If you live, then Counter Berserker's Rock Slide.

Razor Wind ~ Counter (Rollout) ~ Counter (Rock Slide)

Ash.. looks like you'l have to finish the battle without your friend after this round. Use Swift to clear away the lizard clones. Then use Dragon Rage on the lizard... redirecting the Mud-Slap in the twister as well. End by Digging away from Pineco's rollout (steamroll), and hopefully he'll hit the hole you've made. (like a car hitting a pothole) :D

Swift ~ Dragon Rage ~ Dig

Don't Run With Scizors
28th June 2003, 08:00 PM
You know, it would've been a lot easier if you had Stryke use Reversal instead.

Round Six:
Fort the Pineco (28%, burned, Class 2 Rollout, mildly heavily fatigued, three images remaining) and Berserker the Charmander (34%, very heavily fatigued) vs. Stryke the Scyther (4%, burned, badly poisoned, enhanced chi wearing off, critically fatigued) and Ash the Growlithe (22%, heavily fatigued)

Fort shoots shrapnel over in Ash's general vicinity, and Stryke sends it spinning back... but that's his last. Whether it was the poison, the burn, or the fatigue that brought him down, nobody will know. A red beam zips him back into his Pokéball as Berserker makes copies of himself, only to have them shot down by glowing stars moments later.

Ash howls, and suddenly a twister writhing with draconic energies tears across the arena, scattering the handful of dirt Berserker scrounges up as well as Berserker himself... he lands some fifteen feet from where he started, while Fort continues to roll around building speed, paying no heed to his tosséd teammate.

Fort finally decides to fight back, barreling into Ash... well, almost. Ash makes his escape tunneling through the group, while Fort hits the hole and bounces wildly, skidding to a halt... Berserker smashes Ash with a rock, but only after the Growlithe jumps him exiting the hole.

End of Round Six Status:
Fort the Pineco: 4%, burned, three images remaining, heavily fatigued
Berserker the Charmander: 14%, critically fatigued
Ash the Growlithe: 22%, critically fatigued
Stryke the Scyther: fainted

conspiracy
29th June 2003, 12:23 AM
whatever... there wouldn't have been a difference since he died after using Razor Wind anyways... you reffed, you should know :D and Spikes does not lend itself to be reversed IMHO since it's not a direct attack. I'm just being honest...

play defensive right now... Reflect any attacks that are long-ranged and use Flame Wheel to fend off anything using a close-ranged attack. If nothing of this sort comes into play, then blast your opponents with Dragonbreath.

Gladiator
29th June 2003, 01:57 AM
Alright, Let's see if we can do the perpendicular attack trick. He can't Reflect the both of you at the same time, so Berserker hurl a Rockslide at him and Fort use Spikes. This will guarantee that you won't hit each other. Then jump (hop) to your right and repeat.

Berserker: Right-Angle Attack Position/Rockslide/(Quick-hop right) Rockslide.

Subs: If it doesn't waste an action to move into RAAP then use Toxic. Then quick-hop right follow with Rockslide on your second action

Fort: RAAP/Spikes/(Quick-hop right) Spikes

Subs: If it doesn't waste an action to move into RAAP then use Spikes. Then quick-hop right follow with Spikes on your second action

Don't Run With Scizors
29th June 2003, 02:54 PM
and Spikes does not lend itself to be reversed IMHO since it's not a direct attack. I'm just being honest...

I don't particularly agree with the Attack List's interpretation of Reversal... it suggests reversing specific moves, which is what Counter or Mirror Coat is supposed to do.

If you had actually gone with the Reversal in this battle, you would've taken a heavy chunk out of Berserker, possibly even fainting him.

Round Seven:
Fort the Pineco (4%, burned, three images remaining, heavily fatigued) and Berserker the Charmander (14%, critically fatigued) vs Ash the Growlithe (22%, critically fatigued)

Fort and Berserker surround Ash, cornering him from two directions at once... they spit shrapnel and toxic spitwads, but Ash incinerates them both with a growing sphere of flame... Fort can't take the heat anymore, and keels over to be recalled moments later.

Berserker struggles to ready another rock, and Ash tries to block it... but he can't. The shield flickers momentarily as Ash falters and stumbles, and then it fades altogther as Ash falls into unconsciousness.

Ash has fainted! Victory goes to Berserker, Fort, and Gladiator!

End of Round Seven Status:
Fort the Pineco: fainted
Berserker the Charmander: 12%, critically fatigued
Ash the Growlithe: fainted

Referee's notes: *g_rock's* suicidal stunts at the beginning cost him the match, though he did an impressive job trying to fix it up at the end.

Gladiator
30th June 2003, 09:32 PM
Well, I'm the victor, so I wish to evolve my Charmander into a Charmeleon.