PDA

View Full Version : yay for the new episode

Misty
31st May 2003, 03:16 PM
in the interest of nostalgia i shall write a topic on the latest episode in the us. omgf.

yay for dratini finally appearing in the us.

yay for clair who will hopefully own ash severely.

um.. yeah.

MatthewKetchum037
31st May 2003, 03:22 PM
Finally someone made the thread.

Clair is by far the best gym leader. She kept very cool under pressure, and her Dragonair was awesome! I can't wait for the next few episodes in Blackthorn. I only had one question though, what pokemon did the dragon fang come from? Guesses anyone?

*p.s.* This episode totally makes up for them never showing the lost Safari Zone episode.

have a stammer
31st May 2003, 03:53 PM
a good episode. nice to see Dragonair, i was wondering about the fang myself.... maybe Dragonite or Salamence. However neither seem right.

One thing that bugged me was The whole rice ball thing. Rice balls are those white round balls with the black at the bottom, however Ash or Clair or whoever called them.... Sandwhiches? why? why? why? they look nothing like a sandwhich, it seems 4 kids wants no refrence to japanese culture. In a previous episode (the one where mankey evolves into primeape and ash catches it) there where rice balls in this to, they were used to lure mankey with them but back then they called the balls donuts...... what's the big deal of calling them rice balls? sure america's youth wont understand this but to call them a sandwhich.... whatever

besides that i give the episode a 6/10 :no:

Team Rocket's Lugia
31st May 2003, 03:56 PM
Since I saw this 3-4 weeks ago on YTV, I should have forggonted it already, but from what I remamber, I give it a 7.5/10

Legends-Kuja
31st May 2003, 03:59 PM
Hmph, I was actually impressed.

I seemed to forget the incredible lameness of the anime if but for a short while as Claire showed TR who's boss. I also heard TR'S GS intro theme, automaticlly giving this eppy six points.

FOR THE LOVE OF CHAOS, END THE INCREDIBLY LAME JOHTO SERIES NOW! 7/10

Snakes N' Legends
31st May 2003, 04:54 PM
It was good, but it could have been better. Haven't Jessie and James done the old couple act before? Let's see. They did it To Expect the Onix-pected and Pokemon Papparizzi. Dragonair was nice but I still don't get why the episode is called "Beauty is Skin Deep." I wonder what is the Light Dragon Pokemon? Maybe it is unknown Dragon that is a upcoming Pokemon for a new Pokemon game.

I give it a 6.5/10

Bacl
31st May 2003, 05:44 PM
9/10

The good:

Team Rocket wasn't even interested in Pikachu. Good call on their part because a Dratini/Dragonair would be worth more to the boss then Pikachu.

I liked that Jessie wanted to catch the Dratini at first, and it was funny that her plan to do this was to order James to catch it for her.

And speaking of James, he really gave his Weezing a workout in this episode. Not only did he call it out to fight Dratini, but he also ordered it up aginst Gyrados. Not a wise match up, but it was good to see TR Pokemon used for battle.

I also give kudos to seeing Arbok, if only for a moment, and Jessie using Wobuffett against Pikachu with...SUCCESS! Do you think Jessie will remember that in the future, any time Pikachu tries to zap them all she has to say is "Wobuffett, COUNTER!" and they'll be safe? Don't bet on it.

I also had a good chuckle when James asked Meowth to translate "Wobuffett's wobbles." Hehehe. Wobbles. That would make a good nickname for Wobuffett. Maybe Team Rocket should ask Meowth to translate what the heck Wobuffett is always blathering on about?

The bad:

Sandwich? Sandwich? Are you out of your flipping minds? Is it against the law to even acknowledge there are cultures other than American? Sheesh! At least they didn't call them FREEDOM BALLS !!!

How on Earth did Dratini evolve? Since when does getting trapped in a net give experiance. I know that in the anime Pokemon can bring out evolution on their own in special situation (Team Rocket's Pokemon evolved when they shed tears because they loved them so much, etc), but if every week a Pokemon evolves when it looses a battle then it becomes less special.

Also, why did Dratini evolve? It didn't really attack and defeat Team Rocket once it became a Dragonair. It just kinda floated there. lot of help that was. :rolleyes:

All and all a good episode. Can't wait for next week.

Hanada Tattsu
31st May 2003, 06:22 PM
Beauty is Skin Deep

So, this is the episode where our heroes finally reach Blackthorn City after a long time. Dratini was so cute, I always thought it should be half-water, and it was so cute. Clair was hot, but she was also one of the most drawn out gym leaders, second only to Brock, Misty, and Sabrina. The butler was funny, lol, but we didn't get a name from him. Team Rocket were killer in this episode, as were the disguises. BTW, in Japanese Wobuffet's name means "So it is", so that's what it says when it gets out of its Poke-ball. The only problem I had with this was calling the onigiri sandwiches. Since when are rice balls similar to sandwiches? Dragonair was pretty large, and the ritual was cool.

My Rating: 9/10

Chris 2.1
1st June 2003, 09:29 AM
i heard Wobbuffet, in Japanese, was 'That's right'. Makes more sense IMHO, althugh Hanada, you're theory may be more accurate. I dunno really, either way, he's great

Hanada Tattsu
1st June 2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by ShinyMarill
i heard Wobbuffet, in Japanese, was 'That's right'. Makes more sense IMHO, althugh Hanada, you're theory may be more accurate. I dunno really, either way, he's great

Well, whatever it says, the meaning is the same, so I guess it doesn't matter. Notice it always pops up when Jessie says something like "Pikachu will be easier to catch when we capture the twerps in a net" or whatever.

PAK Man
1st June 2003, 11:55 AM
I honestly didn't like this episode that much. It was cool to see Dratini and Dragonair (finally!), but this episode didn't really have anything special in it. I didn't like that old guy that kept following the others, and the scene where Dratini evolved was very weird. The episode also made me mad when they once again called the rice balls sandwiches! They've been called jelly donuts, eclairs, and sandwiches. They've only been called rice balls once. Overall, I would give this episode a 6/10. Next week's episode will probably be better.

Pidgeot018
2nd June 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Snakes N' Legends
I wonder what is the Light Dragon Pokemon? Maybe it is unknown Dragon that is a upcoming Pokemon for a new Pokemon game.

I think the image of the light dragon was Rayquaza. It has a similar shaped body and head and the way it flew up into the sky is similar to its PokéDex entry.

RAYQUAZA lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, never descending to the ground. This POKéMON appears to feed on water and particles in the atmosphere.

RAYQUAZA is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, above the clouds. Its existence had been completely unknown because it lived so high in the sky.

Pewter City Geodude
2nd June 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by ShinyMarill

Yeah, loosely translated, it means "of course" or "that's right", which is why Meowth used to get so mad when Wobbuffet popped up at the end of the motto. Wobby actually was stealing Meowth's line. :D

Hanada Tattsu
2nd June 2003, 06:10 PM
I agree, it seems to be a legendary dragon like Rayquaza, I hope we get a special for Rayquaza instead of a movie, Clair could appear in the special or something.

Pokemon Neo
3rd June 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by PAK Man
The episode also made me mad when they once again called the rice balls sandwiches! They've been called jelly donuts, eclairs, and sandwiches. They've only been called rice balls once.

Let's not forget "Popcorn balls".(the snubbull episode)

Yeah,I slapped my forehead as soon as I heard Clair call them sandwiches.You know,4Kids doesn't seem to realize that the U.S. is a multi-cultural society.They probably still believe that little kids all over America are going to start hyperventilating and faint if they hear the words,"rice ball".:rolleyes: For the love of god 4Kids,would you please call them riceballs!

As for the episode,I liked it a lot.It added a huge mystical element to the anime and it clearly shows that the series isn't just about collecting "teh cute pokeeman". But like with most episodes,the animation just isn't that good.I'm glad that we're only a couple of episodes away from Pokemon FINALLY going digital.As for the dragon that attacked Blackthorn City a long time ago,I'm guessing it was a Salamence.I don't know,it's just more evil looking.

Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
I agree, it seems to be a legendary dragon like Rayquaza, I hope we get a special for Rayquaza instead of a movie, Clair could appear in the special or something.

Damn straight.I want them to make a movie about Deoxys instead.:D

Hanada Tattsu
3rd June 2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Pokemon Neo
Let's not forget "Popcorn balls".(the snubbull episode)

Yeah,I slapped my forehead as soon as I heard Clair call them sandwiches.You know,4Kids doesn't seem to realize that the U.S. is a multi-cultural society.They probably still believe that little kids all over America are going to start hyperventilating and faint if they hear the words,"rice ball".:rolleyes: For the love of god 4Kids,would you please call them riceballs!

As for the episode,I liked it a lot.It added a huge mystical element to the anime and it clearly shows that the series isn't just about collecting "teh cute pokeeman". But like with most episodes,the animation just isn't that good.I'm glad that we're only a couple of episodes away from Pokemon FINALLY going digital.As for the dragon that attacked Blackthorn City a long time ago,I'm guessing it was a Salamence.I don't know,it's just more evil looking.

Damn straight.I want them to make a movie about Deoxys instead.:D

Popcorn Balls? Now that is just plain sad, it is just sad.

As for the movie about Deoxys, sounds good, I think Jirachi and Deoxys should not appear in a film together, maybe Jirachi and a Regi?