PDA

View Full Version : Poll: WTF? I have to take Keyboarding?!

Rambunctious Jamirus
3rd June 2003, 12:23 PM
Yes, sadly, some middle and high schools are now requiring a semester of Keyboarding in the U.S. One of the only ways to get out of this is to take a test to type twenty words in one minute (which is easy for us on TPM). One drawback to this class is for kids who take Band, Orchestra, Year Art, or anything else that lasts the whole school year get no other electives (four electives at max) because of P.E. (unless you get a waiver).

Okay, so my question is:

Should they make kids take Keyboarding or leave our pathetic lives alone?

*points up at her reasons* In other words, no.

Lady Vulpix
3rd June 2003, 12:28 PM
You haven't voted for your own poll.
I think that, if they need it, they'll learn it sooner or later. So I don't see why they'd have to take special classes for that.

Mew Trainer Rose
3rd June 2003, 01:30 PM
I think the only use for those classes is if you want to learn to type without lookign at the keyboard. I personally don't mind typing while looking at teh keyboard (altho i do occasionaly mistype words, such as teh instead of the, because I'm typing fast. ^_^ but i can always look over what i typed if it's importaint.)
besides, in my elementary school they even had required compter games/lessons (which we all thought was fun, never mind that we were learning math, english, literature, and for the slightly more advanced students, science) so we learned how to type, at least somewhat, then.

so my answer is no, it's not necessary to have required keyboarding.

Dark Dragonite
3rd June 2003, 01:49 PM
I think I am the lone yes right now.
I said yes because, sure it's annoying to learn, but you get credit, plus, even if you're like me, and don't use the home keys or anything, I learned to type 43 words per minute, which is great, and if you do secretary work, you need to be fast at that.

Lady Vulpix
3rd June 2003, 03:11 PM
Yes, Steve, that's good... If you want to learn to type fast or need it for your job or something like that. But why make it compulsory?

Girafarig
3rd June 2003, 03:21 PM
Well, at my school, we call it "typing", and it's the most boring piece of crap man has ever devised to torture his fellow man, besides golf on TV. Ahem...

Still, it's tolerable, if the program has some typing games on it... And, it's important, so I voted the third choice.

Krystalline Kabutops
3rd June 2003, 06:09 PM
It's pure ****ing evil. Of course, my mom deprived me of TV for two summers and replaced it with daily keyboarding, so I may be prejudiced. I mean, if we wanna type this way, let us type our own ****ing way, and keep out of our already over controlled lives.

Dark Dragonite
3rd June 2003, 07:19 PM
It has to be compulsory, because more and more places, and people are becomming updated, and using computers, even Grocery Stores ask what programs you can use, and what typing speed you have.

Pretty soon, everything will be done through computers, they are becomming more affordable, and even college courses are being taken online.

Plain and simple, keyboarding makes it easier to type, atleast it did for me, and it taught me to use programs like Word, Excel, etc...

Snakes N' Legends
3rd June 2003, 08:20 PM
Being able to use type is very valuable in the workplace. I mean you have to have some keyboard skills. I took three classes on keyboarding and I didn't have a problem with it. Of course my last keyboarding class was funnier. I caught up on typing skills and it got better. Plus I would finish before everyone else. So I played Pinball most of the time and checked out Yahoo for the latest movies.

youdontknowme
3rd June 2003, 08:28 PM
well, this so called test is quite easy so i wouldn't mind taking it. If it counts on ur report card i would just take the easy A :D

Fett One
3rd June 2003, 08:39 PM
The middle school I went to has it. I got stuck with it in eighth grade. I think it was a waste of time. I made tons of mistakes and typed really slow. I made less mistakes and had a faster time while looking at the keyboard while using three fingers than I did typing properly. This is why I think it should only be given to people that want to learn to type because as you can see I was forced to take it and got nothing out of it.

MarshmallowEgg
3rd June 2003, 08:49 PM
We're not required to take a keyboarding class, exactly, but it is intergrated into a class called Fundamentals of Technology that all the freshman have to take. I took it last semester, and I passed my keyboarding test with a perfect A, which surprised the hell out of me. Sure, I type plenty fast, and I don't look at the keyboard, but I don't keep my fingers on home row like they teach you to. I can type up to eighty words a minute doing it my way. Doing it with home row, I'd be surprised if I broke ten. I know taking an entire semester of pure keyboarding would probably drive me insane. So I don't think kids should HAVE to take it. It should be available to kids who would like to learn, but it shouldn't be mandatory.

homeofmew
3rd June 2003, 09:19 PM
Look it doesn't have to be all that bad, I had to take computer applications, all I had to do was show off a little, and I my teacher let me slak in the class all year.

In High School it is usally one Computer based class for graduation, and that could be anything :/ And then there are the other boring classes that teach JavaScript and C ++. Which i I Don't know C ++ so i should Shut up :x.

But take it and just show off :O, if it Computer Keyboarding use only short cuts, it is very amusing to do ;O

Anyway Have a nice Day, I been out of School for a week, and Just Graduated High School :p

Sheik
3rd June 2003, 09:34 PM
I had to take it for two years in Middle School, so you can bear the pain. Because of this, I can now type 110 words a minute, BEFORE my freshman year in high school, which is now. :D

Jay
3rd June 2003, 09:49 PM
I'm a pretty fast typist, and I wouldn't mind taking the course myself for the fun of it :) For others I think it's a bit unfair, since I agree that they will learn keyboarding sooner or later, but if schools are doing this then there must be good reasons behind it. Whatever it may be I bet it must be a good one

kalad1
4th June 2003, 05:22 AM
I picked option three because I DON'T care. I do agree on them teaching typing in elementary school, how they tricked us all....

Kris
4th June 2003, 04:43 PM
Theyve never made me take it but it could be good fun actually, Id probably be good at it but Id liek to get faster

Craig
4th June 2003, 09:37 PM
here in the tundra named canada we have half a semester of business in grade 9. You do all kinds of workplace related things..including typing. An entire class on typing seems dumb :/

Its important, but shouldn't be mandatory (except maybe in grade 9 since you only get like 1 elective anyway:P )

Kireihana52
5th June 2003, 09:51 PM
I don't think parents or schools should MAKE a child play a musical instrument, especially if they have no interest in learning about it. It's kind of funny though, in elementary school, we had to go to a music class and learn music notes and how to play recorder. I hated it at the time, but then we went to some high school band performances, and I began to think it was neat. So in 6th grade I got a clarinet, and later in the year I got a flute as my Christmas gift. I personally love playing music, I still play flute and clarinet, and I'm learning electric guitar now. *shrug* It was good for me, because I naturally had a thing for playing music. Kids should be exposed to different things, but shouldn't be forced to do those things if they don't have a talent or interest for them. I always hated P.E., and I still hate that I'm not given as good of a grade, just because I'm not naturally talented in sports.

I actually wished they taught typing earlier, because by the time they got around to teaching it, I had been using a computer for 2 1/2 years and could twenty times as fast my way. Why do you need to know the "proper" way to type anyway? My dad and brother both took typing classes on how to do it correctly, and I type about as fast as them. =/ Sorta stupid.

~Kireihana52

Lightning
5th June 2003, 09:53 PM
I don't live there and I honestly don't care. o_O;;; It would be a hell of a lot better than some of the courses I might have to take in high school next year. -_-;;

Unless they have those pathetic "Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" or whatever. Then again, those are always good for a laugh. XD

Bai,
Lightning