PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Battle

CobaltDragon
5th June 2003, 11:18 PM
What is your favourite battle in the Pokemon anime?

I like the Blackthorn Gym battle, so much skill and strategy was put into that battle.

I also like the battle Misty and Ash had with Pikachu and Togepi.. Pikachu was too afraid to harm Togepi while it was going crazy with its charm. That was hilarious :D

Gravy
7th June 2003, 07:50 AM
Trainer Battle: Heracross Vs. Scizor

One of Ashes finest battles in my opinion, especially since he used Heracross. The animation throughout the battle was excellent, and although there was little in terms of strategy (apart from letting Scizor try to strike first that is) it was great to see 2 strong pokemon duke it out with pure strength alone.

Gym Battle: Steelix Vs. Cyndaquil

30ft Iron snake Vs.firey little 1 '04'' hedgehog? doesn't sound like much competition, but this was overcome by the great use of strategy. I especially liked the way Steelix used the sandstorm to protect itself from the heat, as well as Cyndaquil using its tunnels to hide.

Wild Pokemon Battle: Pikachu Vs. Taillow

Again, not too much strategy involved, but it was a nice change to see the rodent being overpowered by the speedy swallow. I liked how Taillow was immune to electric attacks, making the fight more of a challenge, as well as how Taillow grabbed Pika's tail and throwing the rodent down into the water.

Team Rocket Battle: Soonansu Vs. Phanpy, Jigglypuff and Poliwhirl or Delibird Vs. Pikachu

Well, any Pokemon battle featuring Soonansu is cool in my book, but it seemed so much better to see him wipe the floor with 2 of the twerps pokemon, with added Jigglypuff.

Delibird....a great pokemon who I feel should have stayed and appeared more often in battle. Anyway's I liked the way it took the twerps by surprise with its 'presents', and how it continued to assalt Pika ( lol, I hate that little rat :rolleyes:)
Too bad there was that fluke of the present healing Pika...oh well.

Hanada Tattsu
7th June 2003, 10:11 AM
My favorite battle has to be Charizard versus Magmar. The animation and music in that episode was better than usual, and despite Charizard's not listening to Ash, he won the battle with flying colors. That Seismic Toss was one of the best animated moves in the show.

God of Fire
7th June 2003, 12:16 PM
Yeah the Magmar V Charizard duel was a very good battle. I will say that the animation for Seismic Toss only really suited this battle, looked a tad cheesy elsewhere.

Though I will mention Poliwhirl V Kingler, I was really impressed when Kingler used Crabhammer, you could see the pain Poliwhirl felt. The second attack MUST of hurt bad. Sad that it was only a short-lived battle.

Another battle I liked was Raichu V Pikachu, it was really an intense struggle.

Fett One
7th June 2003, 04:16 PM
My four favorite battles are:

Ash vs Drake
Charizard vs Magmar
Heracross vs Scizor
Cyndaquil vs Sandslash

choknater
7th June 2003, 07:36 PM
Yes, Charizard vs. Magmar was very very good. I liked Pikachu vs. Marowak, because the animation was pretty good. (FYI: It's the episode where some random samurai guy steals Ash's badges.) I liked every single part of Ash vs. Drake. This is like one of the only times where Dragonite didn't look cute and cuddly. It actually looked fierce for once. The Bulbasaur vs. Scyther in the Indigo tournament was cool. Ash vs. Ritchie was okay... That's all the ones I can think of right now.

Yes, Charizard's seismic toss was ONLY good one in all of his Seismic Tosses. The ones against Poliwrath and Pidgeot were stupid, and they didn't put the cool twirling and intense throwing animation. Charizard like did a 360 in the air while swinging Magmar around, it was sooo cool. I saw this when I was young, so I started to like practice that throw with pillows. I did it once by jumping off the bed. My victory trophy was a nasty bruise on my leg and a lot of shed tears. All because of Charizard's cool seismic toss.

Hanada Tattsu
7th June 2003, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, the whole Drake battle at the climax of the Orange Islands was great as well. Dragonite looked well trained, and seeing Charizard use Dragon Rage for the first time was also great.

Light_Togetic
7th June 2003, 11:08 PM
My favorite battles were: Charizard vs. Magmar, Ash vs. Misty in the Totodile Duel, and Misty vs. Jessie in Princess vs. Princess. I think it's pretty obvious why Charizard vs. Magmar was cool. I liked the battle between Ash and Misty because I find their intense competitive spirits amusing.;) I liked the Misty and Jessie battle because it was so unpredictable to me. Personally, I didn't know who was going to win when I first watched it.

And the battle between Drake and Ash was pretty awesome too.

ShockingAlberto
8th June 2003, 01:44 AM
Ash VS Drake certainly comes to mind.

Another good one is Ash's battle on the grass field in the Pokemon league. Come to think of it, a lot of his Pokemon league battles were good. I want to say his battle with Richie, also, but I hated the ending. In retrospect, it was the only way it could have ended (Ash still looking like a trainer with powerful Pokemon that he can't control), but it still annoyed me.

Pikachu VS Eevee was good, but too short.

Ash's battle VS Faulconer was also really good. His battle(s) with Whitney were dissapointing, though.

-- ShockingAlberto

God of Fire
8th June 2003, 02:03 AM
Ahh I forgot about Ash V Drake, I only saw it up to when Dragonite was used, no further sadley. However if it was anything like Toshihiro Ono's manga, then it would be great.

CobaltDragon
8th June 2003, 02:11 AM
Yeah! All those battles were excellent!I was gonna post more but you already did! hehe ^^

As well as cool battles, like Ash vs Drake and Magmar vs Charizard, I also like the hilarious battles, like TR with Delibird :D

The battles in the movies are also good, because the animation is so much better

Hanada Tattsu
8th June 2003, 09:34 AM
Toshinoro Ono's manga version of the Ash versus Drake battle is excellent, even more so than the show. I would say that the ending sucks, but the battle is great!

GoldenDragonite
8th June 2003, 12:24 PM
Lets see.. the battles that come to mind for me would be..

Ash vs Blaine- Awesome awesome awesome! Even though charizard disobeyed Ash, they still won, and the animation was cool too.

Ash vs Drake- Dragonite is one of my favorite pokemon.. 'nuff said.

Thats all I can think of now.. I'm sure there's tons more

BlueKecleon
8th June 2003, 02:08 PM
My favorite battle, off the top of my head was from the first movie. The opening, when Bulbasaur was versing Donphan.
I remember the people's faces when Donphan made it's premiere.

Donphan is such an awesome pokemon.

*Murkrow
8th June 2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by BlueKecleon
My favorite battle, off the top of my head was from the first movie. The opening, when Bulbasaur was versing Donphan.
I remember the people's faces when Donphan made it's premiere.

Lol I remember the massive gasp that went up when I saw that for the first time :P
All my favourite battles are more than likely the ones at the beginings of the movies, I don't know why, I just like the music and the animation looks neat^_^
Oh yeah, and Suicune vs Alakazam(Eusine's).It was short but I just liked it.Though I can be fairly predujiced when it comes to battles involving my faves.God knows what I'm gonna be like after I see the Sneasel ep:rolleyes:

Hanada Tattsu
8th June 2003, 03:52 PM
I love the episode where Ash battles Team Rocket for the first time. They seem so hard to defeat, but in the following episodes, they're the easiest opponent Ash will ever face.

Dragon_Claw
8th June 2003, 04:20 PM
I liked the second battle against Whitney. Or the battle for the Earth Badge.

Altough I haven't seen it, I think the battle Ash v.s. Gary in the Silver Leauge should be cool.

Hanada Tattsu
8th June 2003, 08:38 PM
All of The Silver Convention battles are vibrant, and the digital animation really helps. All of the battles are great, Ash uses alot of his Pokemon that he hasn't used as much before, and he just does a great job. Those are all great battles.

Zeuamencer
13th June 2003, 07:21 PM
in orange islands when charizard fihgts versus alakazam and pikachu got above charizard.

Heracross vs Scizor.

and pikachu versus Raichu :yes:

Bacl
14th June 2003, 01:58 AM
The best battle is the girl in the Pokemon League (what was her name again?) who had the seemingly unstopable Bellsprout.

Yes, I loved that this was the battle where Ash used MUK, and MUK kicks the Bellsprout's arse!

But the fun thing about this was that Ash was finally using his brain, choosing to bring in a posion type against a grass type. And slo that MUK was a surprise to everyone and we hadn't seen it in a battle ever before. Great battle. Great episode. Great Pokemon ;)

ShockingAlberto
14th June 2003, 06:53 AM
I had an argument with a friend about that Muk/Bellsprout battle, actually. He maintained that since Muk is a poison-type and Bellsprout is grass/poison that Muk should not have had a terrible advantage. If you think about it, though, he's quite wrong. Satoshi's only Pokemon he had used were Grass and Electric. Grass would have ended up doing .05x damage to Bellsprout due to two type weakness. Electric would have done .5x damage. Muk's poison-type would have been able to stand up to any attack Bellsprout threw at it, while also doing 1x damage (evening out) with any poison attack he used against Bellsprout. Satoshi used Body Slam, a non-poison attack, to claim victory.

So, if you think about it, Satoshi was REALLY using his head in that battle. That's what makes it so cool. ^_^

-- ShockingAlberto

Rocketboy
14th June 2003, 07:00 AM
Ash VS. AJ (Ash DID have to learn about losing)

Heracross VS. Scizor

Charizard Vs. Magmar

Bulbasaur Vs. Skiploom ( Another one where Ash had to lose because of his cockeyness)

Hanada Tattsu
14th June 2003, 09:37 AM
Another battle: Ash versus Prima during the Orange Islands. These battles were turning points in the anime because Ash finally learns that he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Chris 2.1
14th June 2003, 04:06 PM
Hmm...

Ash VS Mandy (water feild)

Ash VS Jenette Fisher (grass feild)

Ash VS LT Surge

Ash VS Roxanne

I like them.

Hanada Tattsu
14th June 2003, 11:40 PM
Ash versus Norman, the Petalburg City practice match, is pretty good too. Pikachu gets whooped by Vigoroth, but seeing Ash decide to train better in Hoenn is refreshing.

Gravy
15th June 2003, 03:33 AM
Lets not forget Caterpie vs. Ekans and Koffing;)
The little worm stood almost no chance against them, but in the end it came over its fears, plucked up its courage, and succeded against all odds. Proving the old saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' is true to its word.

Nikku-San
15th June 2003, 04:10 AM
Charizard and Dragonair versus Dragonite. This battle was so awesome I almost cried with joy.

Hanada Tattsu
15th June 2003, 09:09 AM
Ya, Caterpie versus Ekans and Koffing. One of the first real battles in the show, and Caterpie did such a great job against the evil Pokemon.

DarkMarowak
16th June 2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Ya, Caterpie versus Ekans and Koffing. One of the first real battles in the show, and Caterpie did such a great job against the evil Pokemon.

Okay, now I hate to argue with a mod that's so well known around this place, but I'm so sick of everyone calling Team Rocket's Pokemon evil. They're not the ones that are evil, they're just under the control of evil trainers. Ekans even pointed this out in Island of the Giant Pokemon, where he said, and I quote, "There is no such thing as an evil Pokemon. Pokemon are only bad because their trainers are bad."

Personally I'm quite sick of the stereo-typing they do on this show. Big tough Pokemon like Arbok, Nidoking and Rhydon are all "evil" Pokemon, while cutesy stuff like Marril, Pikachu and Skiploom are seen as all-holy good guys.

What I'm saying is, please don't bash nasty looking Pokemon just cause they're not cute. :l

And to stay on topic, I enjoyed the battles Ash had against Drake, Clair, Jenette and Mandy. :)

Hanada Tattsu
16th June 2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by DarkMarowak
Okay, now I hate to argue with a mod that's so well known around this place, but I'm so sick of everyone calling Team Rocket's Pokemon evil. They're not the ones that are evil, they're just under the control of evil trainers. Ekans even pointed this out in Island of the Giant Pokemon, where he said, and I quote, "There is no such thing as an evil Pokemon. Pokemon are only bad because their trainers are bad."

Personally I'm quite sick of the stereo-typing they do on this show. Big tough Pokemon like Arbok, Nidoking and Rhydon are all "evil" Pokemon, while cutesy stuff like Marril, Pikachu and Skiploom are seen as all-holy good guys.

What I'm saying is, please don't bash nasty looking Pokemon just cause they're not cute. :l

And to stay on topic, I enjoyed the battles Ash had against Drake, Clair, Jenette and Mandy. :)

Sorry, don't worry about it. I just meant that at that time they were evil, but you gotta admit that after a few episodes, I fell in love with Arbok and Weezing in terms of personality.

Nevermore
20th June 2003, 08:43 AM
If I can remember way back when I watched the show... let's see..

Fashionable Ekans & Koffing vs Pikachu & Geodude: From my favourite episode of Pokemon, Fashion Flash. The costumes and the battle arena were just hilarious, and the Rocket Pokemon were doing quite well until Suzie and her Vulpix intervened.

Lickitung vs Misty's entire team: The pink, long-tongued one's debut against Misty in Princess vs Princess. Jesse almost defeats her, with one of my favourite Pokemon! Pikachu, Vulpix and all of the other annoying twerp 'mons got well and truly licked. XD Misty should have lost - you can't tell me knocking your opponent out of the battle arena and off the side of a building isn't automatic disqualification! Oh well, at least Misty got exposed as a selfish brat while Jessie saw she has true friends willing to dress up in silly costumes for her. Aww.

I'm not really into the battles, so those I only really liked because they featured Pokemon I like or were part of episodes I really liked.

Hanada Tattsu
20th June 2003, 11:10 AM
This is from a future episode, but the Ash versus Brawly match is excellent. Ash really is kinda doing well at first, but then he loses, which is all right by me. We need a change once in a while.