PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo 64 DD

Kokomo
8th June 2003, 12:08 PM
For those of you who don't know what the N64 DD was it was a disk drive add on for the N64. It failed very shortly after its release and never made it to the U.S. For some reason lately I've been interested in it and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find out more about it or even where could i find one.

thanks......

PNT510
8th June 2003, 02:03 PM
You won't be able to find them, very few of them were made(I heard only a few hundred). So if you do find one it would be expensive and have no use to you.

Razola
8th June 2003, 09:52 PM
I think many games were only available via an online service, so even if you DID find a DD, it wouldn'ts do much for you.

Also, most of the games weren't good at all, which I'm sure you figured out from the dismal sales.

Kokomo
8th June 2003, 10:29 PM
I know the thing is really crappy but for some reason i want it.

Why you ask? I have no answer except that I just want it.:rolleyes:

woz
9th June 2003, 04:53 AM
well you won't get one cheap, that's for sure. then you'll need a game to play on it, which is going to cost quite a lot too...your best bet might be ebay. i also reiterate that fact that it sucked ***.

Solution
10th June 2003, 04:39 PM
Well, I heard that the F-Zero add on thing wasn't that bad. It was actually more or less decent. Not sure if it constitutes the loads of money you will spend on it though.

MToolen
19th June 2003, 10:34 PM
(Here's some 64DD trivia. I think this is true, correct me if it's not...)

I believe that, before trying to make their own 64DD, Nintendo hired two companies to make a disk drive game system. However, both were eventually turned down when the project went bottom-up. So, the two became independent consoles, and Sony's Playstation and the Philips CD-i were born.

Kokomo
23rd June 2003, 10:56 PM
believe that, before trying to make their own 64DD, Nintendo hired two companies to make a disk drive game system. However, both were eventually turned down when the project went bottom-up. So, the two became independent consoles, and Sony's Playstation and the Philips CD-i were born.

Your off man, close though.

Your talking about a project for a cd add on for the SNES. Sony and Philips were asked to work on it, but Nintendo chose Philips. (Stupid move) Sony than released their drive as teh Playstation. The Philips add-on was a failure I believe.

The N64DD was made by nintendo for N64.

tron
25th June 2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Kokomo
The Philips add-on was a failure I believe.

The Philips CD-i was a tremendous failure, I feel sorry for the suckers who payed $700 for one when it launched

MToolen
27th June 2003, 01:39 AM
Yeah, I just checked my sources, cursed, and checked back here. It's still pretty ironic, though, that Nintendo would make its own enemy...

SmoothCriminal
26th July 2003, 06:59 PM
www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/aitrad.htm

They have a DD with randnet and modem and stuff and the main games Mario Artistx3, F-Zero Expansion, and doshin the giant. The might have sim city too. I love the DD. =) But you need a Japan 64 to use the DD and a Japan F-Zero to use the expansion disk.

Gengachu
29th July 2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Kokomo
Your off man, close though.

Your talking about a project for a cd add on for the SNES. Sony and Philips were asked to work on it, but Nintendo chose Philips. (Stupid move) Sony than released their drive as teh Playstation. The Philips add-on was a failure I believe.

The N64DD was made by nintendo for N64.

Nintendo didn't choose Phillips. Sony decided it would be more profitable if they made their own console. Were the CD-I Zelda games and Hotel Mario any good?

SmoothCriminal
29th July 2003, 07:57 PM
No, the way the contract was set up sony would get full rights to the nintendo liscense which then scared nintendo so they breeched contract and went with phillips.