PDA

View Full Version : WoTC

Theorem
9th June 2003, 01:44 PM
I've been reading some news, and I found out tht wizards of the coast will be out of the bussiness!!
They wont produce any more Pkmn TCG!
will it be the end of it?
it is becoming dead (dying? spelling problems ^^) already :|
and we cant do a thing right? some of you that are reading dont care anymore already

I'm getting older, and my feeling for this tends to disappear..

if anyone from here wants to try and revive it I'll help ya :P

Razola
9th June 2003, 10:31 PM
AHAHAHA! That's hilarious!

Pokemon isn't even REMOTELY the major cash source for WotC (nowadays).

With...

Magic, the number one TCG out there

and...

D & D the popular role-playing game

They'll be in business and just fine. Pokemon's departure won't hurt much.

Theorem
10th June 2003, 12:47 AM
hey hey hey.. you miss understood me..
I said they're out of business out of pokemon, I didn't said they were gonna close or something! I know magic is one of they biggest bets..
I'm not so dumb :P

Roarkiller
10th June 2003, 08:53 AM
Ummm..... thats... very... very..... old news ;o And umm, in 8 days, Nintendo, their successor, will release their first set... what japan calls ADV.

So, yeah. :wave:

Theorem
10th June 2003, 09:26 AM
I see.. I haven't been in touch with pokemon for a while so for me they're not old news ^^
there goes the ©Wizards signature on the cards.
and what about prices, merchandising?
wont they suffer some changes?

hobbs
10th June 2003, 09:16 PM
Prices are staying the same. Also, because it's not being chanled through two companies anymore, it should actually be benefitial to the game. (Higher profit per sale, which can translate into more events and advertising.)

This should really be a change for the better.

Roarkiller
11th June 2003, 08:22 AM
I could definitely use some advertising and events here. U know, there used to be a group of 'elite' players here in my country (we had a so-called race for the top 5 then), and i'll bet im the only one left. And even i am having serious thoughts of quitting the game right now.

Like smoking, im seeing quite a bit of extra cash now that i dont buy boosters anymore (only one skyridge so far btw), tho not much since i have more than one expensive hobby to feed, and being a real crazy collector...

Saeba
16th June 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Raz
AHAHAHA! That's hilarious!

Pokemon isn't even REMOTELY the major cash source for WotC (nowadays).

With...

Magic, the number one TCG out there

and...

D & D the popular role-playing game

They'll be in business and just fine. Pokemon's departure won't hurt much.

Well... Pokemon was WoTC major source of cash. It sales worldwide were waaay over MTG. The sales were so good, that they asked TPC to extend their license, but they didn't have enough money for it, since they had some really big problems with exec directors stealing company money, etc.
That's why Chainmail was canned, and some other project got less support. Also, Hasbro, who owns WoTC, isn't so keen on D&D, and they aren't really counting on it to be the great moneybringer.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Magic isn't THAT great as it's players believe. Legions is crap, Scourge isn't that great either, and a great number of people that profesionally play magic, aren't happy about the current environment. Sure, there are a lot of new players, but most of them are kids, who play for a couple of months, and then they get bored, since MTG is designed for people with lots of cash.
I work for a WoTC distributer, so I think I'm somehow qualified to talk about this... Probably...

I hope Nintendo does a good job with the Pokemon TCG, and anounces what are their plans on the European market...

Theorem
16th June 2003, 03:28 PM
eheh..
MTG is for people with money alright..
and pokémon? its soo cheap.. :X
well, here in portugal, Porto (or Oporto :P), pokémon is finished :|
Last saturday I went to all the leagues that were on the wizard's web site, and all of them were over, nobody plays pokémon anymore around here. I took a shot at a expedition booster :P,
my first of e-cards, and I got 2 dragonites, one foil and one non-foil.. guess its not bad (I didnt knew that there could be 2 rare cards on 1 booster 0_o)
if anyone wants to start a league over here, you've got my support :P

Roarkiller
16th June 2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Theorem
eheh..
MTG is for people with money alright..
and pokémon? its soo cheap.. :X
well, here in portugal, Porto (or Oporto :P), pokémon is finished :|
Last saturday I went to all the leagues that were on the wizard's web site, and all of them were over, nobody plays pokémon anymore around here. I took a shot at a expedition booster :P,
my first of e-cards, and I got 2 dragonites, one foil and one non-foil.. guess its not bad (I didnt knew that there could be 2 rare cards on 1 booster 0_o)
if anyone wants to start a league over here, you've got my support :P

Actually, u can get 3 rares in one booster: a holo, a non-holo, and a reverse-holo. Got these more than a couple of times :D

Razola
17th June 2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Saeba
Well... Pokemon was WoTC major source of cash. It sales worldwide were waaay over MTG. The sales were so good, that they asked TPC to extend their license, but they didn't have enough money for it, since they had some really big problems with exec directors stealing company money, etc.
That's why Chainmail was canned, and some other project got less support. Also, Hasbro, who owns WoTC, isn't so keen on D&D, and they aren't really counting on it to be the great moneybringer.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Magic isn't THAT great as it's players believe. Legions is crap, Scourge isn't that great either, and a great number of people that profesionally play magic, aren't happy about the current environment. Sure, there are a lot of new players, but most of them are kids, who play for a couple of months, and then they get bored, since MTG is designed for people with lots of cash.
I work for a WoTC distributer, so I think I'm somehow qualified to talk about this... Probably...

I hope Nintendo does a good job with the Pokemon TCG, and anounces what are their plans on the European market...

Pokemon was a great deal of income for like...2 or 3 years? And now it has tumbled and Magic once again is on the top of the best sellers.

And I can find you, if you like, quotes and sales figures showing that the Onslaught block was enjoyed by many players. Pros and regular folk enjoy the focus on creature types and Legions did have some weak points (mostly due to the 100% creature format) but still had good stuff like the Slivers coming back.

And Magic costs just as much as any other card game, so your claims that it was designed for people with money is fairly bogus.

Saeba
26th June 2003, 06:01 AM
Riiight...
That's why I can buy 10 mtg boosters, and build a competitive deck, since I don't need any chase rares, and also, I don't need 4x of any of the rares. :rolleyes:
Come on, if you really think mtg is inexpensive on tournament level of play... Except UG Madness, you really need some money to build a competitive deck...

Alec Trevelyan
26th June 2003, 11:13 AM
totally agreed, and its not excluding 100% of UG madness, cuz on 1.x (T4) tourneys, this deck needs yavimaya coast and some other rares like spellbane/safekeeper/unnatural selection and there it goes... most mtg decks need TONS of money to be competitive.... on T2, take Mirari's Wake deck as an example.... tons of rares, fetch lands, and there it goes... on T1.x (known as T4) u can build sligh decks (which are doing great)... needs 8, i said, 8 fetch lands! 4 blistering firecat and other rares on SB or as i use tangle wire on maindeck... or just go to sideboard.com and see the top decks listed there... none of them are "cheap"... i've never seen a "cheap" and strong deck on any TCG, its a myth =/