PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] How to beat Mewtwo in a Duel?

flagitious
9th June 2003, 03:16 PM
Hi, I am new here so please give me a break if there is an obvious answer to the question or if it has already been asked a thousand times.

I have seen a good amount of post where people display their dueling team and ask for others feedback. This is nice for both the creator to get feedback and others to get ideas. But I fear that there might be a trivial solution to duels. That being what can stop 6 lvl 100 mewtwos?

To me it seems that nothing can except 6 more lvl 100 mewtwos. Because mewtwo has such high special, speed, and hp, with reasonable defense. While being psychic it has no real weaknesses. Bug does count because both the bug attacks are so weak that they do not make up to par even with super effective...

The mewtwo would be using psychic which is a very powerful attack and only weak against other psychic pokemon. This gave me the idea of countering mewtwo with a dual type pokemon like jynx or starmie, this way they could force mewtwo to use a non psychic type attack and not get the 50% bonus of using same type attack, while the jynx can use ice beam or whatever and still get the 50% bonus giving it a potential advantage. However this plan of counter has no chance because mewtwo can be tought fireblast and thunderbolt, allowing it to counter jynx, starmie, slowbro, executor or whatever.

Another potential counter would be taking advantage of mewtwos defense being non perfect. But to really do this you would need to have a really high attack as well as a really high special for defense. I don't think there are any pokemon that meet this criteria unfortunitly so I am still out of ideas on stopping mewtwo.

Please post any ideas on this matter.

BTW I don't really know anything about mew so if mew is stronger than mewtwo than just swap mewtwo for mew everywhere I said it.

Iveechan
9th June 2003, 06:21 PM
Snorlax + Explosion = a dead purple clone

Or a Slowbro with Amnesia, Surf, Rest, Double Team.
Never tried it myself but seems interesting.

Another is to use Hypno, it's more tankish than most other Psychics and can learn some nice annoying moves (even though ypnosis is kinda crap)

Feelingsad
9th June 2003, 08:37 PM
Mewtwo is stronger than Mew generally..

There are a lot of strategies you could use, most of them are unreliable though.. You can never sure what set your opponents Mewtwo will actually have.. And on a team of 6 they'll probably have all of them..

Your only advantages will be that you can utilise sleep moves, and well.. Anyone using a team of 6 Mewtwo's probably isn't actually a very good player..

Have a nice day.

RaZoR LeAf
10th June 2003, 09:30 AM
If you find yourself battling someone using 6 Mewtwos, you shouldn't even consider wasting your time on such a pathetic loser.

If you're pondering over defeating a single Mewtwo, then I'd suggest starting off with an Electrode, to guarentee a Paralysis on the first turn. The switching to a heavy hitter like Snorlax or Tauros, or using Chansey's huge special and HP to absorb special attacks, heal with Soft Boiled and run down the enemy with SToss or special atacks.

PS. Snorlax can only learn Self Destruct, not Explosion.

Nace
12th June 2003, 04:44 AM
Get a Substitute/Rest/Amnesia/Surf Slowbro. Guaranteed win.

Myth
12th June 2003, 09:07 AM
Slowbro might die to Amnesia, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, Recover mewtwo...

Use electrode..and go boom. Use Medi-No-Hypno with meditate, body slam, rest, psychic

or

erm

Jynx with LovelyKiss

Hypno with Hypnosis

HyperBeaming tauros

Solution
12th June 2003, 12:47 PM
Slowbro only really works against sub/amnesia/psychic/recover mewtwos. Otherwise once they are both amnesia'd up mewtwo would have no problem taking down toby with thunderbolt.

An Electrodes explosion won't even come close to killing mewtwo with its great defense and HP. Next turnsince mewtwo is so fast it will just recover.

I suggest......PARASECT! No, I'm only joking.

flagitious
12th June 2003, 06:18 PM
Hi again, ok I tried to think of some things to do heres some more ideas:

chansey with double team, softboiled, sing or blizzard
im not sure but i think chansey would be able to survive for a very long time and eventually be able to put it to sleep or freeze and be a tuff pokemon to kill.

articuno with double team, substitute, rest, icebeam/blizzard
i think this would work unless mewtwo has thunderbolt, but even then it might i dunno, the blizzard should eventually freeze it right?

in response to Iveechan
-Snorlax + Explosion = a dead purple clone
mewtwo can have 415 hp, 278 def, a lvl 100 snorlax could do 321 and 377 with an attack of 318 with self destruct,
so i dont think that would be a good idea, but i think snorlax could be a good choice for survivability and horn drill

-Or a Slowbro with Amnesia, Surf, Rest, Double Team.
-Never tried it myself but seems interesting.
good idea, as long as not thunderbolt i guess

-Another is to use Hypno, it's more tankish than most other
-Psychics and can learn some nice annoying moves (even though
-ypnosis is kinda crap)
yeah i guess it will go to sleep long enough eventually

in response to Feelingsad
youre right, but can you list some other methods please if we miss any

in response to RaZoR Leaf
i agree, electrode paralys is a good aproach

in response to Myth
i dont know if using hypno in that manner would work because if the mewtwo was using amnesia it would be able to kill hypno in 2 hits while its resting
jynx lovely kiss, hypno hypnosis yeah i think those 2 would do it

in response to nace, i dont see how substitute helps here, wont it just die the next turn and you have just wasted 25% hp?

in response to Solution, that thing about parasect, these one people actually came up with a way to get parasect to beat mewtwo, but it only works if mewtwo is the last pokemon standing otherwise they could switch out.
what you do is use spore right off the bat, parasect will survive the first blow unless it was a fireblast, then you use rest, to get your hp back while they sleep, then you cast subsitute and your gonna be hard to kill, since you can just repeat once it wakes up and slash at it all day long.

ok im tired for now but good to hear some ideas, sorry if im wrong about anything

Solution
12th June 2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I'm aware of the "substitute, swords dance, spore, leech life" parasect. I was joking because parasect normally doesn't stand a chance against mewtwo.

Quezacotl77
25th June 2003, 11:57 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned paracon to beat Mewtwo...that is quite effective. Just paralyze it, and confuse it with Lapras or Gengar. Switch to a strong physical attacker. With a little luck, you win.

Kari and Mewtwo
27th June 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Quezacotl77
I'm surprised no one has mentioned paracon to beat Mewtwo...that is quite effective. Just paralyze it, and confuse it with Lapras or Gengar. Switch to a strong physical attacker. With a little luck, you win.

1.) that would work against a single mewtwo, but the guy mentioned 6 mewtwos. A little luck isn't needed in this case. SEVERE luck is whats needed.
2.) not all 6 mewtwos might have the same MS, so one can have recover while another has rest, thus making paracon/parafusion or any other stat ailment besides sleep useless.

Use electrode..and go boom.

1.) Electrode doesn't have enough power to OHKO mewtwo in rby with explosion (since s-destruct/explosion doesn't have the built-in defense cutting in rby). Once electrode is dead, its not over.. even if you do manage to KO a mewtwo, it wont matter cuz you just turned a 6 on 6 battle into a 5 on 5 battle.

Leon-IH
28th June 2003, 10:52 PM
pull out your swords dancing mew OR your amenesiac mewtwo!

Elekidkid
2nd July 2003, 11:18 PM
Ok, this is just put out there as a sample, may not always work. Try a Chansey with Softboiled, Bide, Thunder Wave, and Counter/Ice Beam/Fire Blast. Well, basically you have Thunder Wave to compensate for Chansey's not too great speed. Bide is there to absorb the hits from Mewtwo and pay all of them back double (I'm sure this would do more damage than Seismic Toss, however I'm not sure that it would work well with Thuder Wave). Softboiled is obvious. Then the last move is pretty much up to you. If you think the opponent may have a physical attack on Mewtwo use Counter, otherwise use Ice Beam or Fire Blast by preference. I also agree that Parasect could work well, but it's lasting power may not be too great. Maybe an Electabuzz could work. Use Thunder Wave, Thunderbolt, Seismic Toss, and uhhhhhhhhh Counter. Counter may not be the best choice in the world, but hey, I can't think of a final move. Thunder Wave is for paralysis, so Electabuz stands more of a chance of actually surviving against Mewtwo. Thunderbolt is for damage obviously and Seismic Toss just in case Thunderbolt isn't strong enough. A good Vaporeon may also work. With it's huge HP and Special it'll survive a decent amount of attacks. Try using Surf, Ice Beam/Blizzard, Rest, and Acid Armor. Sure Acid Armor won't be too useful, but you never know when the enemy decides to throw a physical attack at you instead of Thunderbolt. Maybe a Kangaskhan, but I'm not too sure of a good set to use.

Anyway, I'm a bit rusty when it comes to making sets; it's been a while since I've actually tried making real sets. These may work, but they may not. Also remember that if a person has six Mewtwo's they truely are a newbie and will have sets to express this.