PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Uhh.. RMT..

Feelingsad
10th June 2003, 10:55 AM
Ok, so I was like thinking about like, standard pokemon in RBY.. and mostly, about Chansey..

Cause I hate the thing..

..I hate it, because I need it.

Like, if I don't have Chansey, then I can basically be beaten by anyone who gets a little luck.. And I really hate losing..
I have been trying all week, and that is basically what has happened..

Chansey works because it is like a guaranteed defense, it doesn't matter how much a Starmie CHes, it will need a couple of FP's thrown in there too if it ever wants to take out a Chansey.. In this way Chansey makes CHes irrelevant, and therefore takes a large amount of luck out of the game..
Except then everyone uses Chansey, and uses it as a freeze platform, which puts all the luck back into the game..
Fortunately, the only people who do this are really smart, so it doesn't seem that bad when you lose to them..
However that is a lame as attitude, so I wanna solve this problem.. (note, I haven't actually got any idea how I will do this, I am making this up as I go along).

Oh, and the reason I am singling out Starmie so much, is that while Chansey is used as a defense against Alakazam or any other special attacker, they can be countered by other pokemon more easily..

So basically, If my opponent has a Starmie out, there is no way I can be sure I will be able to switch to a pokemon without running the risk of it dying..

My solution: Don't let Starmie come out.

Ok.. So I need 6 pokemon, all capable of killing Starmie, along with hopefully a couple of other pokemon too..

Lead pokemon:
Well.. obviously I can't stop Starmie coming out in the first turn.. So I need something that will deal severe damage to it and force it to switch out..

Jolteon or Electrode are the first things that come to mind.. But that incoming ground type thing would be annoying.. Especially now that subsitute will work on PBS.. But it would allow me to get to a grass type easily, and if I dont plan on using Chansey, getting an early sleep move wouldn't hurt.. So I guess one of these would be alright for now..

Ok, so that protects me against a lead Starmie, but what about some other lead pokemon.. Like, Jynx or Eggy.. 2 more pokemon I hate..
My lead would presumeably have paralysed them, and (eventually) gotten put to sleep.. Now I have a problem though, I need to switch to something that doesn't mind getting paralysed, hit with psychic or facing Starmie and something that can take the same from Jynx.. That is a lot of conditions.. But I could narrow them down.. If I use Sand attack from Jolteon first turn, then I could be reasonably certain they would switch..

I also doubt the pokemon the would switch in would be a Starmie, for fear of my electric waking..
More likely a Physical attacker..
So what I need is something that is nice and good at beating special attackers, that you cant switch Starmie in against..
Unfortunately, most things that come to mind are waters..

The best I can think of is Exeggutor.. It's nice since I needed a grass to go with Jolt.. However, even with a Sand attack on Jynx, I wouldn't want to switch an Eggy into it, so I will have to put in something else.. All I can think of is Starmie..

So what I have is: Jolteon, Starmie, Eggy
Oh dear, this attempt at getting away from super standardom is not going so well..

Ok, looking over for flaws in those 3 pokemon.. I actually can't really see any one pokemon that will cause me a great deal of grief.. Chansey would be my worst enemy.. And if I consider that my Jolteon would get put to sleep, I could see that Zapdos, or Lapras could be problems..

So, thinking up stuff that beats all three.. That starmie cannot switch into I come up with the incredibly lazy solution of another Jolteon.. or rather Raichu.. Electrode would have been cool, but that threat of Rhydon is kinda troubling, even with Starmie and Eggy, Plus if I had to explode on Chansey, I wouldn't be able to stop Lapras or Zapdos would I.. Raichu it'll have to be..

Ok, so basically, I have 4 pokemon that should work.. This means I have the luxury of picking 2 pokemon that can be all versatile and such..

Well.. as far as Versatility goes, I know of nothing better than Snorlax.. The toughest kamikaze attack in the game means it can kill almost anything in almost any circumstance.. Well.. A very big almost..

Okie dokie, I need one more pokemon.. Hopefully something unstandardish..

Hmm.. I want some more Jynx/Eggy defense.. Plus some ability to beat Snorlax and tauros.. Cloyster would fit the bill..
But it would give away that Starmie switch I have been fearing..
Unless I were to just explode, I wouldn't have to worry about it so much. Also it's not too shabby against Rhydon or Chansey.. I guess lapras could too.. Except I am not a big fan of confusion..

So.. Here it is, in all it's bogged standard glory..
Jolteon: thunder wave, sand-attack, thunderbolt, focus-energy.
Exeggutor: sleep powder, stun spore, psychic, explosion.
Starmie: thunder wave, surf, thunderbolt, recover.
Raichu: thunder wave, surf, thunderbolt, double-edge.
Snorlax: body slam, earthquake, hyperbeam, self-destruct.
Cloyster: double-edge, blizzard, explosion, substitute.

Yay! As you may be able to guess from the size of this post, this took me ages.. I kinda started with an idea for a little post for interests sake, then it sort of got out of hand..

Boy, I have way too much time on my hands..
Have a nice day.

Myth
12th June 2003, 04:36 AM
Very nice lead up to your rmt, which poses a solution to one of the most dreaded and overused standard pokemon-starmie. ^_^

I've found your analysis quite interesting.

To your team. Assuming its for the PBS, having 2 electrics is a very nice way of avoiding starmie. But once they know that your raichu has double-edge they'd probably start wasting your pp and your health. So I suggest BodySlam over that.

As for your own starmie I suggest having Blizzard. Y? I do not think that anyone would dislike getting a icy freeze on their opponent! Besides surf is almost the same base power as blizzard, and blizzard can take on those eggyz/zapdoses.

Other than those, I'd say you have a pretty solid team just watch out for zams, electrics, chanseys...Happy testing and gd luck!^_^

flagitious
12th June 2003, 07:39 PM
ok most of the stuff you were talking about is on a level i have not reached yet so i cant really provide any insight but i have a question. how come you use substitute with cloyster? im not saying this is a bad idea, i just dont understand. also while im at it asking questions whats the usual rules for duels? because i notice you arent using mewtwo and im wondering if its because it is usually not allowed or if you prefer being non lame and more of an individual, or if its just because you think mewtwo isnt good i dont know

thanks

Feelingsad
12th June 2003, 08:15 PM
Substitute on Cloyster because it can survive a bodyslam form a Tauros, so I can set it up and if the switch to Starmie, I dont have to worry about them ching with a tbolt before I explode, and if they dont switch to Starmie I have lost nothing..

And I initially did have blizzard Starmie, but when I put in Cloyster I took it out, it adds better defense against Rhydon and Jynx is the main reason I used it..

Have a nice day.

flagitious
13th June 2003, 02:44 PM
ok thanks for explaining the substitute, but you didnt clarify the mewtwo thing, is it just because this pokemon is lame because its overpowered. maybe i should start a new thread about what rules are used for duels? i dont really have any idea what rules are used

have a nice day too

RaZoR LeAf
13th June 2003, 03:30 PM
The usual rules that apply on PBS (Pokemon Battle Simulator, similar to GSBot or RSBot) are as follows:

Species Clause
No more than one of any species. You can have Nidoran Male, Nidorino and Nidoking on your team, but not 3 Nidoking.

Sleep Clause
This is the most important. Basically means that no more than one pokemon per team can be put to sleep. It stops someone from sending the entire team to sleep and beating them senseless without mercy.

00ber Clause
Total ban on Metwo and Mew. I can't remember if it limits to 1 Legendary bird per team or not.

Evade Clause
No pokemon may use Double Team or Minimize. It was decided long ago, that battles that consisted of both pokemon evaded to max and waiting for an attack to hit were boring and based purely on luck rather than skill.

Metallics Clause
No attacks that can only be obtainable through GSC. Such as Amnesia on Tangela and Nidoking, or elemental Punches on Alakazam, Electabuzz, Magmar, etc.

I think that's most of them.

flagitious
16th June 2003, 03:37 PM
ok thanks ill start playing by these rules now, i was breaking them before

Leon-IH
26th June 2003, 10:55 PM
yo leaf where can i get my hands "on" a PBS?

RaZoR LeAf
27th June 2003, 06:23 AM
*cough*

PBS isn't a program that you download like Netbattle, or requiring a program like mIRC fro GSBot. It's a ewbsite where you consruct and battle over the site.

The only one I know that works at the moment is:
http://porygon.math.miami.edu:7137/

You should ask in the PBS forum for details on any other ones. When youer making a team, be sure not to use any illegal moves, and stick to the above listed clauses. It'll let battles go smoother. PBS has been somewhat inactive for a long time now, so if you want a battle, you should try to arrange one over MSn, AIM or some other means.