PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast

Kokomo
10th June 2003, 02:54 PM
I'm planning on buying a dreamcast today and I was wondering how many memory cards I would need to get.

I want to get
Unreal Tournament
Shenmue
Jet Grind Radio
Sonic Adventure
Grandia 2
Skies of Arcadia
Virtua Tennis

So how many memory cards should I get, also if you have any recomendations for games tell me. You'll notice that soul caliber isn't on there because the second one will be coming out soon so I'm just gonna get that.

woz
10th June 2003, 04:01 PM
i would suggest 2...you could go for 3 if you can find them cheap.

tron
10th June 2003, 04:04 PM
Just get one of those 4 in 1 memory cards. They might corrupt once in a while, but they are alot more handy than having 2 or 3 VMU's laying around.

PS: Grandia 2 is the best RPG ever made, enjoy.

Adz44
12th June 2003, 02:34 PM
Just to let you know, online support for the Dreamcast is going to end this month (except the Phantasy Star games). I saw it on Game Network this afternoon. If you're not worried about online gameplay, then just ignore what I've just said. lol

I would recommend the original Grandia. I have the PS version and I've really enjoyed it. Closest RPG to FF7, in my opinion. I can't comment on Grandia 2, because I haven't played it.

woz
12th June 2003, 06:07 PM
the original grandia wasn't released for dreamcast.

Adz44
13th June 2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by woz
the original grandia wasn't released for dreamcast.

Oh, alright. I knew it was released for the Saturn, but I wasn't sure whether it was released for the Dreamcast or not. Oh well, bang goes my suggestion. lol

Musourenka
14th June 2003, 07:55 PM
Grandia I was released for the Saturn originally in Japan, just like Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete. Had Sega not ticked off Working Designs (something about not letting them have their own booth at E3, from what I've heard), neither of those two games would have been available for the PlayStation in the US.

And, yes, I think you will need two memory cards.

Here's a breakdown of my memory cards:

VMU 1 (5 blocks free):
DEADORALIVE2 / MAIN SAVE FILE (7 blocks)
Two DINO CRISIS save files (8 blocks x 2 files = 16 blocks total)
EVOLUTION 2 save file (10 blocks)
KOF EVOLUTION system file (7 blocks)
MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 2 system file (5 blocks)
POWER STONE system file (4 blocks)
RESIDENT EVIL: CODE VERONICA system file (2 blocks)
SKIES OF ARCADIA save file (27 blocks)
SOUL CALIBUR Main Backup Data file (12 blocks)
STREET FIGHTER ALPHA 3 World Tour Data file (13 blocks)
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 Chao data file (52 blocks)
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 save file (18 blocks)
TIME STALKERS save file (16 blocks)
VIRTUAL ON: ONATARIO TANGRAM system file (4 blocks)

VMU 2 (64 blocks free):
Two GRANDIA II save files (9 blocks x 2 files = 18 blocks total)
POWER STONE system file (4 blocks, and I don't know why I have a second one)
Eight (yes, eight) RESIDENT EVIL 2 save files (6 blocks x 8 files = 48 blocks total)
RESIDENT EVIL 2 system file (2 blocks)
Two RESIDENT EVIL 3: NEMESIS save files (8 blocks x 2 files = 16 blocks total)
RESIDENT EVIL 3: NEMESIS system file (4 blocks)
RESIDENT EVIL: CODE VERONICA system file (2 blocks, and I don't know why I have a second of this, either)
SONIC ADVENTURE Chao data file (28 blocks)
VIRTUAL ON: ONATARIO TANGRAM Replay file (4 blocks)
SONIC ADVENTURE save file (10 blocks)

Yeah, two memory cards should be sufficient.

The Muffin Man
14th June 2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by tron

PS: Grandia 2 is the best RPG ever made, enjoy.

Lies. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

and I heard good things about a game called...Marvel Vs. Capcom or something similar.

PNT510
14th June 2003, 10:18 PM
Anyone who thinks Earthbound is better than Grandia 2 is a ****ing idiot.

Musourenka
14th June 2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by PNT510
Anyone who thinks Earthbound is better than Grandia 2 is a ****ing idiot.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe the Lunar series on the Sega CD are better than the Final Fantasy series. :)

tron
15th June 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
Lies. Chrono Trigger and Earthbound.

Blasphemy! Grandia 2 owns your sorry muffin ***.

Musourenka
16th June 2003, 09:42 AM
Blasphemy! Grandia 2 owns your sorry muffin ***.

I have to disagree. Chrono Trigger is better than Grandia 2, although I can't say that Earthbound is better than Grandia 2.

Anyways, Lunar the Silver Star > All other RPGs.

Kokomo
16th June 2003, 07:07 PM
I got my Dreamcast:yes: but I've got a problem.:no: I put in Sonic Adventure but the game doesn't work. The dreamcast goes to the screen with the logo and thats it. There are no scratches on the disc so I don't know whats wrong, my other games work fine. Any help is appreciated.

bb88
16th June 2003, 10:41 PM
I would like to hold that Brave Fencer Musashi is the best RPG ever created, but no one ever seems to share my opinion :(

SuperLedian
16th June 2003, 11:17 PM
"Mortal Kombat for Sega Genesis is the best game ever!"

"I disagree, its a very good game but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever."

"Donkey Kong sucks!"

"You know somethin', YOU SUCK."
--------------------------------------------

... felt appropriate. 8)

tron
17th June 2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Kokomo
I got my Dreamcast:yes: but I've got a problem.:no: I put in Sonic Adventure but the game doesn't work. The dreamcast goes to the screen with the logo and thats it. There are no scratches on the disc so I don't know whats wrong, my other games work fine. Any help is appreciated.

I had the same problem with my Dreamcast when I played Shenmue. It would only play the game when I tipped the system on it's back side so the front side with the controller ports was facing straight up. Try that, hope it helps.

woz
17th June 2003, 01:15 AM
I had the same problem with my Dreamcast when I played Shenmue. It would only play the game when I tipped the system on it's back side so the front side with the controller ports was facing straight up. Try that, hope it helps.

yes, i have to do that to mine occasionally, and i'd say that was your best bet...might just be the sonic adventure cd though.

Kokomo
17th June 2003, 06:00 AM
Lol SuperLedian, Billy Madison is a great movie.:yes:

I'll go try putting the system on its back now, thanks guys.

Edit:I tried tilting the system yet nothing works.:(

Hayabusa's Darkside
24th June 2003, 08:18 PM
The reason I have a Dreamcast is because of the extended wrestling game library. Fire Pro Wrestling D is debatably the best wrestling game ever, and Toukon Retsuden 4 and Giant Gram 2k are no slouches themselves.

Yeah, I'm a wrestling nerd. Sue me...