PDA

View Full Version : Magic FAQ: Learn about the game.

Razola
10th June 2003, 09:40 PM
Trying to get some more Magic discussion on the board, maybe I can help some curious people out.

Whether you want to learn the game or just are curious about it (but not really interested in playing) just ask me a question and I'll try to answer it.

Nothing too complicated, just general stuff that has you confused.

Chrisodeo
11th June 2003, 05:41 PM
What's so good about Slivers? I've heard people round here talking about the oober Slivers, and they just don't look that oober.

Razola
11th June 2003, 09:35 PM
Slivers are fun creature-decks to make because Slivers share their abilities with each other.

Take the Shifting Sliver. Once he is in play ALL slivers can only be blocked by slivers, which means your slivers are a lot harder to stop.

Or root sliver, which makes slivers uncounterable. Nice against blue decks for sure.

If done well, these decks could be tourney worthy, but they are simply a lot of fun to play.

Jedi
12th June 2003, 12:18 AM
Do you have..
a page for learning how to play. something basic. That stack thing on wizards id kinda confusing..

A site (a board maybe) where good players have decks and/or articles. Stuff for refence.

And what sets are in the current format?
Thanks

~Jedi

Razola
12th June 2003, 12:49 AM
Due to the shear size of Magic, there are several formats:

Type 1: This format let's you play with every magic card every made, except those that are banned. A lot of cards that are commonly used in this format are nearly 10 years old and on a "no longer printing" policy, meaning that playing this set requires a lot of cash.

Extended: Extended changed last year to include six blocks. A block is a large expansion, followed by two smaller expansions. As of November 1st, Mirrodin, Onslaught, Odessey, Invasion, Mercadian, Artifacts and the Tempest blocks will be legal along with both 7th and 8th edition (Magic has its base set printed every 2 years). That's 21 sets to play with!

Type 2: Type 2 is the most popular format because it's the most easily accessed. Type 2 uses the two most recent blocks and the most recent base set. Right now Odessey and Onslaught along with 7th edition is the legal set (7 sets) but Odessey will "rotate out" (no longer be Type 2 legal) on November 1st when Mirrodin is released (which will lower the sets to 5 since the three sets from the previous block are leaving).

The stack is very simple, especially compared to the old system (which is before my time and too complicated to bother explaining).

Whenever a spell is played, it goes on the stack. The stack is not a physical stack, but a system used to figure out in what order spells resolve. The stack resolves the last spell played first and then keeps resolving until it is empty. Last in, first out.

www.magicthegathering.com is the official site and other sites like www.brainburst.com or www.mtgnews.com are places with players willing to help. All three of the listed sites have forums where you can ask for more help.

The Muffin Man
12th June 2003, 02:16 PM
This is a more opinion-wise question:

Being a long-time magic player, I do enjoy a challenge. I love Green, Red, and White decks...but I have a question for ya; What do you believe makes a creature better? Power/Toughness, Cost, Effects, or a combination? I personally like high powered cards that aren't TOO expensive. Scaled Wurm is nice, although expensive, but it's really more late game. It IS one of my favorite creatures. I have always loved the Scaled Wurm. Although, being a late game card, you'll need many smaller creatures to protect your Life so your opponents weenies don't rush in and eat you alive.

Jedi
12th June 2003, 11:26 PM
Thanks Raz, couple more questions too…

How many sets are in a block, or does that change?

For Type 2 Format:
Odyssey and Onslaught are blocks & sets, correct? If they are blocks witch sets are included in each?

Is Mirrodin a set and the name of the new block?

What about an 8th edition?

-----------

Suppose that some one plays a card like "Early Harvest." Does the effect happen then you pay the mana cost? In this case untap all basic lands then you tap 2 forests and another land. Or, tap 2 forests and another land then untap all the basic lands, making this card free, expect that you need to have then in play lands.

-----------

This maybe not be the correct place to put this, but since I think this board should stay pokemon, I want to keep it in one topic..

After looking a few other decks I made one in apprentice and wanted to give a game a shot. If anyone patience, or is also new, and would like to try a game, message me.

AIM: Jedi9087177

Thanks again.

~Jedi

Alec Trevelyan
13th June 2003, 11:59 AM
uh, odissey block have the odissey (duh), torment and judgment sets, the onlaught block have onslaught (duh again), legions and scourge...
8th edition is coming on july as i know, or in the end of the year, dunno exactly
about the card ruling, first you tap the manas to play it, then untap all, this is good if you have many lands and many cards to play...
Well, about the creature stuff that muffin said, spiritmonger is a good example how a good combination can do... 5 manas for a 6/6 monster is good, but its abilities are amazing... regenerate, can be the color that u want (anti circle of protection) and whenver it does damage to a creature u may put a +1/+1 counter on it... its a machine... another goodie for me is flametongue kavu... 4 manas for a 4/2 which does 4 damage to any creature when u play it... well, in general the creatures are good on the metagame and the deck.. like madness creatures/spells , a 4/4 like arrogant wurm isnt good if u dont have cards like mongrel/looter to play it...
that's it...

cya

Razola
14th June 2003, 01:25 AM
Blocks are normally named after the first set (the large one). I believe there are exceptions, like Urza'a Saga, Urza's Legacy, and Urza's Destiny were known as the Artifacts block.

Blocks always contain 3 sets. One large one (350 cards) and two small one (143 cards).

If you played pokemon, you'll remember the "base set." Remember Baset Set 2? Magic releases a new base set every two years, normally between the first and second small sets of a block. 8th ed. is like Base Set 8 for Magic. This year, due to Magic's 10th anniversary, 8th ed. is being delayed until this year's Gencon which starts July 23rd I believe (Magic was revealed this time in 1993).

As for creatures, I think that's a question with a very complex answer. Weenies are important to apply pressure and defend you early on while stronger creatures are needed to keep up in the arm's race. Weenies aren't good if your opponent survives to play a fatty and fatties aren't good if you can't survive the weenies to play them.

I also like cards that serve more purposes than attack/block. Faceless Butcher does double duty, provided creature removal on to top of being a reasonably priced creature at 2/3 for 2BB. But it depends on the deck.

I don't see why this board can't be about TCGs in general. It's fairly inactive enough even with Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, and other topics allowed. Limited it to pokemon would make it even more empty.

Musourenka
15th June 2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Raz
Blocks always contain 3 sets. One large one (350 cards) and one small one (143 cards).

You mean TWO small ones. :)

Anyways, Extinction would absolutely slaughter a Slivers deck -- destroys all creatures of any one type.

I haven't really kept up with Magic since Urza's Saga (I think), so I am not familiar with everything added from then on. I was a Blue-heavy player (heh heh heh :)), with either White or Black added on (depends if I wanted a Counter/Disenchant/Flying deck or just a plain ol' Ruin Your Day deck). I have played a White/Black deck before, something I called "The Knight of the Living Dead", in which my deck's creatures were almost all Knights (most of them of the 2/2 Flanking variety), with some like the Cadaverous Knight who could regenerate. It included heavy creature kill, too.

Kari and Mewtwo
19th June 2003, 12:17 AM
Well, I've only known how to play magic for about 6 months now, but I haven't really followed it much recently.

1.) is there a creature that can attack, then block (or attack without tapping, or some other sorcery/instant/creature that has a similar effect) besides serra angel?

2.) what would be some good ideas for a green/red deck? (i'm currently makin one, so i'll need a bit of help on ideas)

Razola
19th June 2003, 12:33 AM
1) Yes. Cards like Militant Monk or Noblar Templar are other creatures that don't tap to attack. Enchantments like Dragon Scales can also bestow the ability upon your creatures.

2) Scourge released lots of big creatures and ways to play them. Try a Dragon/Big creature deck with Krosan Drovers, Torrents of Fire nad big expensive creatures like Dragon Tyrant or Kilnmouth Dragon. Beast Decks are also very popular in R/G.

Alec Trevelyan
19th June 2003, 11:14 AM
i disagree discussing about a good red/green deck... good R(ed)/G(reen) decks are recently built besided "madness" effect, here's a good try, and its not expensive to do:

4 Wild Mongrel
4 Basking Rootwalla
4 Arrogant Wurm
2 Phantom Centaur
2 Grim Lavamancer (its not very expensive)
4 Llanowar Elves/Birds of paradise

20 creatures

4 Fiery Temper
4 Violent Eruption
4 Elephant Guide (omg, on phantom centaur this is great)
4 Firebolt
4 Volcanic Hammer

20 Spells

9 Forest
7 Mountain
2 Karplusan Forest
2 Mossfire Valley

This isnt expensive and very strong deck... and it plays by itself, just kick asses (obviosly i could add some strong expensive cards.. but i didnt)

cya :wave: :wave: :wave:

Kool Dudy
7th July 2003, 05:47 PM
Birds of Paradise are really really rare. If you were to play RG Beatdown, go with llanowar elves. Cheap and easy to find. One BoP worths around 10 bux (USA).