PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which is the best pokemon clone/rip off/related game?

so fly supersky
18th December 2002, 12:31 AM
Both a poll and somewhat pokemon related but I thought it would be best put here.

If you can find another choice be sure to tell about it.

I'd have to go with the Dragon Warrior Monsters games.

Vega
18th December 2002, 04:34 AM
i went with Dragon Warrior Monsters coz Robopon and Dokapon are really crappy and i havent played the other one.

bme
19th December 2002, 03:36 PM
Digimon. I mean, that's more my opinion, but they're sure alike. It's like "well their idea worked, so let's be unoriginal and use that to be rich...". Seems like it.

The Muffin Man
19th December 2002, 03:51 PM
...except Digimon came out first, and they're nothing alike.

Bah. Robopon is a stupid blatent rip-off. I prefer DWM.

so fly supersky
19th December 2002, 04:53 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about Digimon. I knew there were ones I was forgetting. I was thinking about handhelds. I believe besides the little LCD things, Digimon games were all for PS/PS2. I guess I should've include Jade Cocoon too. Even though I've never played it before, I heard it's basically about raising and battling monsters.

And when I say best, I mean which game itself is more fun to play, not which game 'best' rips off or copies pokemon.

PNT510
22nd December 2002, 11:01 PM
I person then dragon warrior monster owns. I lost it right after I beat the stary night tournment. Then my on Tara's adventure the memory got whiped after I saved the island the first time :(

bme
23rd December 2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
...except Digimon came out first, and they're nothing alike.

Bah. Robopon is a stupid blatent rip-off. I prefer DWM.

You missed the part where I said in my opinion. Glad people read these day. :D Well, I swear pkmn came out first. Oh well, in any case, that's the way I see it.

Mew4
23rd December 2002, 09:35 PM
I have only played Robopon it is the only and WORST ripoff of pokemon I have ever played. I'm selling it.Ten bucks for the sun version

red13n
24th December 2002, 07:49 PM
Bah. I thought Robopon r0x0red. Of course, if you are going to play it, before you do, you have to accept the fact that it was designed to make money off the pokemon idea. If you can do this, you will be able to accept the game. I thought it was a decent game, nothing spectacular, but I thought it was worth my money(I didn't own a computer at the time). Its quite a difficult game as well. Note: I have only played the first version of it, so yeah.

PNT510
25th December 2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Michćl
You missed the part where I said in my opinion. Glad people read these day. :D Well, I swear pkmn came out first. Oh well, in any case, that's the way I see it.

Opinion or not, something that came out before pokemon can't be a pokemon rip off.

Mewfour
26th December 2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Mew4
I have only played Robopon it is the only and WORST ripoff of pokemon I have ever played. I'm selling it.Ten bucks for the sun version

Yeah, I never really heard about Robopon until I went to Blockbuster.

Hey.... something here is quite the same....

bme
26th December 2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Pants the Miltank
Opinion or not, something that came out before pokemon can't be a pokemon rip off.

Well, I forgot Digimon came out first, and since no ones perfect, and since I don't study when what came out(i'm not worried about being up too date on this kinda stuff), get off my back about it. ;p

Nightingale23
27th December 2002, 02:42 AM
Well the best pokemon ripoff is pokemon diamond, although came out only as a rom, and although using the pokemon license.. it was a not bad game, it's a shame that they named it pokemon..

Invader Pichu
4th January 2003, 02:42 AM
I'd have to say monster rancher. Though, it is kinda different, there are some points that are really similar. Oh, and neopets are cool, too.

BTW, what's Dragon Warrior Monsters, Robopon, Dokapon, and Magi nation?

so fly supersky
5th January 2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Invader Pichu
I'd have to say monster rancher. Though, it is kinda different, there are some points that are really similar. Oh, and neopets are cool, too.

BTW, what's Dragon Warrior Monsters, Robopon, Dokapon, and Magi nation?

Well you know about the Dragon Warrior RPG games right? Well DWM is basically a Pokemon like game where you use meat to lure wild monsters to team up with you and you battle and breed them in a way very, very similar to pokemon. All the monsters in that game are taken directly from the Dragon Warriors games themselves.

Robopon is a direct rip off of pokemon, Hudson software admitted it. It lacks a lot of the features that made pokemon fun though. Basically the critters are all robots instead of wild animals.

Dokapon is a bunch of games. A recent one for GBA was called Monster Hunter in which you travel around and hunt monsters and treasure. Really it's more a traditional RPG/adventure game because your character fights but you can trap critters and use them in battle because it's way too hard to get through battles without them.

Magination is my favorite, I have high hopes for it. A company called 2i made a creature card game in 2000 and then released a GBC game for it. You basically battle these things called dream creatures in a strange world called the Moonlands, aka Magi-nation. You can also wield spells but really, you need dream creatures to win since you're not strong enough on your own. The battle system is really simple, you transfer Tony's own energy to summon up to four dream creatures. You collect the essence of a fallen wild dream creature and have ringsmiths turn it into a ring that lets you summon the creature. Best part is, if you collect extra essence, the ringsmith will power up your ring so leveling up your dream creatures isn't so time consuming. 2i is struggling a bit but they got about three more Magi-nation games in development, as well as a CGI TV series and a bunch of merchandise.

Ultimate Pikachu
23rd February 2003, 01:37 PM
Digimon is a total rip-off.

Ghost
23rd February 2003, 01:55 PM
Try Reading Post UltimatePikachu. Digimon came out first.

soggy_cardboard
23rd February 2003, 09:50 PM
Digimon is a rip-off of pkmn, the digmon game came AFTER pkmn.
The pokemon game came out WAY before the pkmn cartoon series(which was based on the game)
The game was sucessful due to the series.

i dont know whether the digmon TV show came out b4 pkmn, but pkmn was invented 1st.

Razola
25th February 2003, 12:51 AM
Digimon came out first, but it was fairly dead by the time pokemon was unleashed. I think it was revived to compete with Nintendo's franchise.

Dragon Warrior Monsters was cool. Just like the DW franchise, only pokemon-ish. Breeding was also cool, since no monster had a stat limit. You could easily have a slime be the strongest beast in the land!

VIVA THE SLIME!!!

Yatouji Satsuki
25th February 2003, 11:44 AM
I'd just like to point out that the first Dragon Quest/ Dragon Warrior game came out in '89, I believe. So technically, it can't be a ripoff of the Pokemon franchise.

so fly supersky
25th February 2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Yatouji Satsuki
I'd just like to point out that the first Dragon Quest/ Dragon Warrior game came out in '89, I believe. So technically, it can't be a ripoff of the Pokemon franchise.

No one said it was. Besides, those DQs were an entirely different kind of RPG/strategy game.

OpOp32
27th February 2003, 02:10 PM
Another thing i think we should take into consideration is that Pokemon was simply one of many of this time of gameplay (capturing monsters and raising them to fight). And Pokemon simply blossomed as the most popular...and therefore people deemed everything else as a ripoff. And indeed some games that come out are so simaler, its noticeable, but others in which u just raise monsters doesn't make it a clone of the other. Its just that Pokemon came to be the most popular. I've played games like Jade Cocoon and Magi Nation which were good games. You just have to get it out of ur heads that its a pokemon ripoff. Digimon came out around the time of Pokemon, and mabye after, and since Pokemon had risen so much in fame that everyone says..."whos gonna play that fake pokemon game."
So to rap it up, i think we should simply realize what Pokemon was, and not think lowly of everything else is.

:) :) :)

Ultimate Pikachu
2nd March 2003, 09:11 AM
Pokemon was accualy made first. Digimon just came to the puplic fist. You people are confused.

Victreebong
6th March 2003, 12:11 PM
Jade Cacoon, or at least the first one. it had solid gameplay and had its own form of monster growth, etc. Too short though, and the elements were part of that poor four elemental system, which REALLY sucks. none the less, merging, adding skins, and seeing those crazy attacks are still fun.

User-Name
7th March 2003, 12:36 PM
Oh, look a Digimon Vs. Pokemon fight... This has only been done a few hundred times.
Is this pointless fighting needed? Yelling back & forth which came out first is childish. It's ruining the topic. Everyone has thier opinion which really came out first.
Back to topic. I don't think Pokemon ever had a complete rip off, expect for the bootleg rom that was named Pokemon: Daimond(which wasn't really that great anyway).

Yosmon
7th March 2003, 07:16 PM
people get confuse with the whole digimon thing because it was translated AFTER pokémon thus outside of japan it was relised after although they where relised back in '94 (i think.. i should check that) pokémon was relised in '95 (to my knowledge.. i don't seem to have any records of it any earlier) anywho it doesn't take 3 weeks to make a game even complete obious rip-offs it whould take at least 8 months (which any idiot could tell over half a year) translations vary but still (a game could be translated late due to the companys laziness)

basicly this is what i think; who cares if its a rip-off, long as its good i don't care