PDA

View Full Version : Advanced Generation Episode #30: Meditite and the Battle Girl! In a Storm!

Hanada Tattsu
15th June 2003, 12:43 AM
Advanced Generation Episode #30: Meditite and the Battle Girl! In a Storm!

Initial First Thoughts

This seems like a non-filler, as the battle girls are trainers found in Brawly's gym, among other places. So I guess Meditite is introduced here, I wonder if someone eventually gets it. Just one more episode left until the Brawly rematch! I wonder if Brawly does indeed make an appearence?

Screen By Screen Episode Preview

First, we see the usual Pokemon of the day over a red background of Groudon, and then we see the Battle Girl in a Karate stance, on the sand near a beach, probably near Dewford Town. The battle girl then throws a Pokeball, and out comes Meditite, in battle stance. We then see the beach, and Ash orders Pikachu into battle. The Battle Girl orders Meditite to use an attack which I can't make out, and Pikachu comes to attack it. Then, we see Brawly over the cliff, with a fist clenched, and a storm starts. Lightning crashes rocks, and a tidal wave even crashes! The scene cuts to Pikachu and Meditite battling, and the battle girl orders Meditite to use Meditate, and Ash orders Pikachu to use an attack, but then Meditite gets up from meditating and uses a Focus Punch at Pikachu. The scene then cuts to the title of the episode on a background of Kyogre.

Picture of the Week

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_ag/2_yokoku/img/030.jpg

Here's a picture of Ash's Pikachu and the Battle Girl's Meditite battling.

Final Thoughts

This seems like an exciting episode. We see Brawly again, and the tidal wave looks climactic! There could be a flood and even injures! Here's hoping to May and Masato getting struck by lightning. :D Well, the next episode is the Brawly rematch!

Until then! :)

DannyBoy
15th June 2003, 12:52 AM
Sounds like a good episode but why does he have to use pikachu? He should use taillow or corphish. Well I hope pikachu loses that battle lol.

Gravy
15th June 2003, 03:46 AM
Sounds like a battling episode, which is always a good thing, especially in AG. Meditite isn't my favourite pokemon, but nevertheless this seems like a nice episode, and incorporates another element from the game (The battle girl of course).
I like the use of using meditate to power up focus punch, and it could have been used in the game...meh.
I'm interested to see how the storm adds to the plot of this episode, so I'm sure that there will be a few more surprises.

Here's hoping to May and Masato getting struck by lightning. :D
lol, just what do you have against Haruka-chan anyways?:rolleyes:

Chris 2.1
15th June 2003, 08:01 AM
Hanada likes Misty to return because he is a fan of Horsea - Hanada Tattsu means 'Cerulean Horsea' I think.

This seems to be a nice episode, but what possible gain has Ash had over these past episodes? I can't seem to understand what it is Ash has accomplished, really. No offence. However, this episode may prove me wrong, perchance? I hope so: Ash needs something to use against Hariyama, and I think it might be Pikachu...

Well, i'll look forward to it!

EDIT:

after seeing the clip, a thunderbolt strikes a boulder and causes it to presumably fall. Maybe Ash helps out the battle girl, and Brawly, having witnessed this, offers to give Ash a rematch? Sounds right to me.

Hanada Tattsu
15th June 2003, 09:15 AM
LOL, sorry if I offend, but I want Misty to return for two reasons: because she is cute and a great character and also because she has Horsea, which I like!

Also, I do think that the battle will be interrupted by the storm.

Rei_Zero
15th June 2003, 01:29 PM
No offense, but in the Johto seasons, Misty's character REALLY REALLY died. That's why May seems so much more interesting. As for what Ash has gained, a Corpish, a more disciplined Corpish, more training to go against Hariyama, just to list a few.

Gravy
15th June 2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
No offense, but in the Johto seasons, Misty's character REALLY REALLY died. That's why May seems so much more interesting. As for what Ash has gained, a Corpish, a more disciplined Corpish, more training to go against Hariyama, just to list a few.

lol, finally someones understands my veiwpoint on why Misty had to leave.:rolleyes:
And don't forget, all his pokemon (except Taillow ¬_¬) have learnt the value of teamwork.

AKA Pokemon Fan
15th June 2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
No offense, but in the Johto seasons, Misty's character REALLY REALLY died. That's why May seems so much more interesting.
While I do adore May's character, I think you may be being a little harsh toward Misty. Its not so much that her character died as it is that it developed. She mellowed over the course of the seasons as she learned how to be mothering toward Togepi and how to get along with others less violently.

One thing that I've noticed about Misty's character in Johto is how deep and real her friendship with Ash has become. The two rarely fight anymore and they are always encouraging and helping each other. More than once Ash looks to Misty for confirmation of an idea or thought and vice versa. I'll always remember that scene in the third movie where Misty practically gives Ash permission to battle Lisa.

If there is a character who suffered in Johto it was Brock, whose insane and obsessive reactions to women (possibly due to trauma suffered from Professor Ivy) got quite old very fast, Misty's, and occasionally Ash's witty comments usually being the only funny part. At least by AG Brock's hormones have toned down and he's returned to the more subtle approaches he used at the beginning of the series.

Rei_Zero
15th June 2003, 03:16 PM
I guess, but its just that there is no sense of growing character about her. Unlike Ash, who is experiencing extreme amounts of character growth lately. I guess the contrast just kills the character.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th June 2003, 06:37 AM
Yep, it was Brock who went totally nuts after Orange League.

But no more than two weeks have passed, and I have to say this summer holiday is killing me! Gotta get something to do! So I try this:

The Battle Girl and Asanan! In The Middle Of Storm!

Satoshi and friends, who continue training to combat Towaki, the gym leader of Muro gym, again, have been challenged by Shinobu, Towaki's first disciple, also called The Battle Girl! Comparatively with being said to be the first disciple, Shinobu attacks with all her strength like Satoshi. Satoshi, who has got training through lessons, accepts the challenge. However, because Towaki wedges his way in, the battle gets an interruption. Towaki has come to warn them of the fact that there is a typhoon coming in neighbourhood.

As the sky is cradually becoming terrible, the party somehow runs away into a nearby cave. There Towaki informs: [In regard to big strength, instead of aiming recklessly, it is also important to let something go past.] After hearing such speech from Towaki, Shinobu looks back to her own battle, and it looks like something comes to her mind...

Asanan=Meditite

AKA Pokemon Fan
16th June 2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Mikachu Yukitatsu
Satoshi and friends, who continue training to combat Towaki, the gym leader of Muro gym, again, have been challenged by Shinobu, Towaki's first disciple, also called The Battle Girl! Comparatively with being said to be the first disciple, Shinobu attacks with all her strength like Satoshi. Satoshi, who has got training through lessons, accepts the challenge. However, because Towaki wedges his way in, the battle gets an interruption. Towaki has come to warn them of the fact that there is a typhoon coming in neighbourhood.

As the sky is cradually becoming terrible, the party somehow runs away into a nearby cave. There Towaki informs: After hearing such speech from Towaki, Shinobu looks back to her own battle, and it looks like something comes to her mind...

Ah, so it's the old "power isn't always important" moral.:yes:

Venasaur89
16th June 2003, 09:20 AM
Picture of Meditite using Focus Punch!

Click here (http://www.pokemon.co.jp/anima/index.html) to see the picture.

*Murkrow
16th June 2003, 09:39 AM
What d'ya know, it's the pic of Meditite that replaced my pic of Sableye in my sig:rolleyes:
Um, I'm not gonna contribute to the May/Misty discussion other than I hate Misty, totally glad that she's gone, oh, and Brock's running gag got so lame so fast.
Um, with that out of the way, that ep looks ok, the storm sounds like it could be a nice touch if it influences something in the ep, Meditite loks knida weird, but hey, hopefully it'll be an interesting battle(sounds it) rather than Pikachu dodging a couple of attacks then 'bolting it.Though all of Pikachu's battles seem like that to me :P Wish he'd use another Poké, that rat really bugs me.
*Decides to shut up*

Hanada Tattsu
16th June 2003, 08:01 PM
Pikachu now seems to battle the small Pokemon, while Treecko takes care of the bigger, stronger ones. Hariyama comes to mind.

That's a cool pic, Meditite is cool.

Gravy
17th June 2003, 06:08 AM
Meditite kinda looks like a chimp to me:rolleyes:
But, I guess he's an ok okemon, I've got nothing against him. Focus Punch looks interesting, but from seeing the little clip, it doesn't look like Meditite meditates long enough to focus properly. Oh well.

Hanada Tattsu
17th June 2003, 06:43 PM
Isn't Meditite a monkey Pokemon?

I thought that its species was a meditating monkey Pokemon, but am I right? 'Cause it does look like one.

JazzJazz
17th June 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Isn't Meditite a monkey Pokemon?

I thought that its species was a meditating monkey Pokemon, but am I right? 'Cause it does look like one.

It does indeed look like a monkey, but it's species is simply "meditate"...

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:09 PM
Some random screenshots from the preview of AG30 on the end of my copy of AG29.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:11 PM
Another random shot! :)

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:13 PM
Anotha one, yo! 8)

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:14 PM
/-\ |\| () T |-| E |R () |\| E ! :confused:

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:17 PM
Anazaa wan! ;)

(I suck at making things sound Japanese, LOL)

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:19 PM
4n0th3r 1 :rolleyes:

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:21 PM
Enuddir wun! :P

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:24 PM
Last screenshot for today!

I decided that every Saturday will be the day I update the screenshot thread, and the preview thread. :)

Hanada Tattsu
17th June 2003, 07:25 PM
XD, those are cool pics. This eppie is not a filler, simply cause there really is a Battle Girl Laura in Brawly's gym, righto?

Animelee
17th June 2003, 07:33 PM
Well, accoring to my theory, that's right, LOL. Not only is Brawly there, probably to judge the girl's skills, but he's probably keeping an eye on Ash, seeing if he's re-match worthy?

Well, as long as there's someone or somewhere or something for the game, it's not a filler to me. :D

But I'm not forcing my theory on anyone, it's just what my brother and I believe. ^^;

Hanada Tattsu
17th June 2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Otaku Shigeru
Well, accoring to my theory, that's right, LOL. Not only is Brawly there, probably to judge the girl's skills, but he's probably keeping an eye on Ash, seeing if he's re-match worthy?

Well, as long as there's someone or somewhere or something for the game, it's not a filler to me. :D

But I'm not forcing my theory on anyone, it's just what my brother and I believe. ^^;

Yes, Brawly I'm sure does not want to battle Ash unless he's worthy, he'd rather surf.

What would be really funny is if Ash loses the rematch and he has to train again...

JazzJazz
17th June 2003, 11:21 PM
What would be really funny is if Ash loses the rematch and he has to train again...

I don't think that this will happen given that they seem to be heading towards Slateport in the next few episodes.

Hanada Tattsu
17th June 2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by JazzJazz
I don't think that this will happen given that they seem to be heading towards Slateport in the next few episodes.

Yeah, I think they even reach Slateport, cause the latest episode is about a contest, and the nearest contest house is in Slateport, so they reach it in very shot time, two episodes at the most, I think.

Animelee
18th June 2003, 02:35 AM
Yes, Brawly I'm sure does not want to battle Ash unless he's worthy, he'd rather surf.

If this was Johto, he would, LOL. It would last ten episodes until the next match. In these ten episodes, Ash would help a guy find his glass eye, and then fight Team Rocket at the end of the episode, where they're holding Pikachu in a bottle with a lightbulb on the top. Then, Ash-tachi would be helping a girl help her shy Spheal learn how to stop rolling when it gets started, and then Team Rocket would come and steal Pikachu, and then the Spheal would use Ice Beam and save Pikachu, learn how to stop rolling uncontrollably, and then evolve to Sealeo. Rinse and repeat for eight more episodes. ^^;

Thank God for Hoenn and it's Kanto-like style with the story!

Hanada Tattsu
18th June 2003, 09:29 AM
If this was Johto, he would, LOL. It would last ten episodes until the next match. In these ten episodes, Ash would help a guy find his glass eye, and then fight Team Rocket at the end of the episode, where they're holding Pikachu in a bottle with a lightbulb on the top. Then, Ash-tachi would be helping a girl help her shy Spheal learn how to stop rolling when it gets started, and then Team Rocket would come and steal Pikachu, and then the Spheal would use Ice Beam and save Pikachu, learn how to stop rolling uncontrollably, and then evolve to Sealeo. Rinse and repeat for eight more episodes. ^^;

Thank God for Hoenn and it's Kanto-like style with the story!

Oh my God, please don't remind of Johto, 'cause that story I am sure (if Hoenn goes filler) will probably happen. If not, we'll be getting nice, old Kanto episodes.

I hope Hoenn does not turn filler.

Gravy
18th June 2003, 12:53 PM
Oh my God, please don't remind of Johto, 'cause that story I am sure (if Hoenn goes filler) will probably happen. If not, we'll be getting nice, old Kanto episodes.

I hope Hoenn does not turn filler.

My sentiments exactly. But, now that I've seen the first AG episodes, and a few battle episodes, my faith in the writers has been revived. I just hope that don't spoil Hoenn:(

Shuppet Master
18th June 2003, 05:41 PM
Say,Otaku Shigeru! Do you mind if I use your episode idea for my Pokemon fanfic? I'll give you full credit for it when I write the chapter! The thought of a rolling Spheal is funny. :D

Animelee
18th June 2003, 10:46 PM
Ehehe, sure! :D

And don't worry guys, I have total faith in Hoenn, and I'm sure you guys do, too. :) Every week when I view a new episode or special, I get the feelings of freshness and excitement that I got from back in 1998 to 1999 when watching Kanto's episodes. :D

Hanada Tattsu
18th June 2003, 11:29 PM
Ehehe, sure! :D

And don't worry guys, I have total faith in Hoenn, and I'm sure you guys do, too. :) Every week when I view a new episode or special, I get the feelings of freshness and excitement that I got from back in 1998 to 1999 when watching Kanto's episodes. :D

Good, some people thought that of Johto in the first few eppies, but the sentiment soon faded with the hated Ledyba filler. Hoenn has had 1 or 2 fillers so far.

Animelee
19th June 2003, 03:29 AM
Okay, so we're at AG30. Let's compare Kanto at episode 30 to Hoenn at AG30 (or episode 305).

Fillers of Kanto's First 30 (In my humble opinion):

Hypno's Naptime

Wow, one (IMHO). Some may say ones like Beauty and the Beach was a filler, but I kinda thought of it as a one to let viewers no what's up with Gary, Oak, and Delia since we've last seen them. Also, The Ghost of Maiden's Peak may be considered a filler, but we get a really GOOD AAML hint here, at the end of the episode when Ash stares at Misty when she has her hair down and is in a kimono. I'd say character development...? Wow, just one for Kanto.

Fillers of Hoenn's First 30 (IMHO):

You could consider AG009, AG010, AG011, AG024, and AG029 fillers, but I concur.

AG009 - There's a Shroomish fan in the game. He also owns a big house (which is in the game), and the water-fountain that's located in Rustboro City is also located near his house.

AG010 - An unofficial gym episode. Well, like A.J., this guy'll probably be featured in the special edition game for RS. Also, Ash was trying to win a badge at that gym, so I guess you could call it a semi-gym battle.

AG011 - May learns about Torchic's evolved form, and she shows a bit of excitment when she looks up Combusken in the Pokedex (maybe a clue for future episodes)! Also, we learn that Masato is not also very clever, but also very persistant and caring as he helps the runt Poochyena evolve.

AG024 - Ash's Corphish gets a fever, and the nearest Pokemon Center is down the forest and across a river filled with Carvanha. We learn how Ash has matured in ways of thinking as he gets across the river, and we learn a bit more about good ol' rough and rowdy Corphish.

AG029 - This episode is basically about Ash trying to dicipline his energetic and out-of-hand Sableye in a dark cave by getting May and Masato to dress up as ghosts. Unfortunately, Meowth gets to the professor Sableye that lives in the cave to scare Ash-tachi and try to steal his Pokemon. At the end, Ash-tachi explain who Team Rocket are to Sableye, and Sableye blasts him out of the cave. I'd also like to note that in the games, you can catch a Sableye in the cave on Dewford.

So, to me, there were truely zero fillers in Hoenn, though those five that I listed up there COULD count as fillers, according to your way of viewing episodes. :)

Well, I'm looking forward to your opinions! Later!

Hanada Tattsu
19th June 2003, 10:15 AM
Okay, so we're at AG30. Let's compare Kanto at episode 30 to Hoenn at AG30 (or episode 305).

Fillers of Kanto's First 30 (In my humble opinion):

Hypno's Naptime

Wow, one (IMHO). Some may say ones like Beauty and the Beach was a filler, but I kinda thought of it as a one to let viewers no what's up with Gary, Oak, and Delia since we've last seen them. Also, The Ghost of Maiden's Peak may be considered a filler, but we get a really GOOD AAML hint here, at the end of the episode when Ash stares at Misty when she has her hair down and is in a kimono. I'd say character development...? Wow, just one for Kanto.

Fillers of Hoenn's First 30 (IMHO):

You could consider AG009, AG010, AG011, AG024, and AG029 fillers, but I concur.

AG009 - There's a Shroomish fan in the game. He also owns a big house (which is in the game), and the water-fountain that's located in Rustboro City is also located near his house.

AG010 - An unofficial gym episode. Well, like A.J., this guy'll probably be featured in the special edition game for RS. Also, Ash was trying to win a badge at that gym, so I guess you could call it a semi-gym battle.

AG011 - May learns about Torchic's evolved form, and she shows a bit of excitment when she looks up Combusken in the Pokedex (maybe a clue for future episodes)! Also, we learn that Masato is not also very clever, but also very persistant and caring as he helps the runt Poochyena evolve.

AG024 - Ash's Corphish gets a fever, and the nearest Pokemon Center is down the forest and across a river filled with Carvanha. We learn how Ash has matured in ways of thinking as he gets across the river, and we learn a bit more about good ol' rough and rowdy Corphish.

AG029 - This episode is basically about Ash trying to dicipline his energetic and out-of-hand Sableye in a dark cave by getting May and Masato to dress up as ghosts. Unfortunately, Meowth gets to the professor Sableye that lives in the cave to scare Ash-tachi and try to steal his Pokemon. At the end, Ash-tachi explain who Team Rocket are to Sableye, and Sableye blasts him out of the cave. I'd also like to note that in the games, you can catch a Sableye in the cave on Dewford.

So, to me, there were truely zero fillers in Hoenn, though those five that I listed up there COULD count as fillers, according to your way of viewing episodes. :)

Well, I'm looking forward to your opinions! Later!

Well, those to me are, in my graph located in the other filler topic, those are all Subordinate Episodes, which don't make them fillers.

AKA Pokemon Fan
19th June 2003, 10:29 AM

Don't you mean Ash's Corphish when you say "his out-of-hand Sableye"? I thought it was confirmed that the Sableye was not Ash's?

Gravy
19th June 2003, 01:28 PM
Don't you mean Ash's Corphish when you say "his out-of-hand Sableye"? I thought it was confirmed that the Sableye was not Ash's?

I think he just made a little mistake there ^_^0
Well, anyways, I was hoping sableye was just one of those pokemon that likes to scare people for no apparent reason. Oh well, the plot still sounds good.

Hypno's naptime? I thought Misty got Psyduck in that, so some would consider that as a non-filler or 'Ultimate-eppie' as Hannada puts it. But, I'd agree that its not too important anyway. Personally I think Psyduck should have been introduced in its own episode, but, whats past has past.

Hanada Tattsu
19th June 2003, 04:32 PM
Hypno's Naptime is a Ultimate Eppie, as I say, because Misty catches Psyduck. Even if the scene is at the very end, it is still a non-filler because the plot is advanced.

I think he meant Corphish, and Ash does not get Sableye, it has been confirmed already.

Animelee
19th June 2003, 05:17 PM
Crap, I forgot about Psyduck! O_O I guess there are no fillers in the first thirty Kanto episodes! Wow!

LOL, yeah, I made a mistake. It was his Corphish that was out-of-hand, LOL. ^^;

Zak
19th June 2003, 05:36 PM
The Carvanha ep with Corphish getting sick is no filler.... the Wurmples evolve in that ep.

~Zak

Animelee
19th June 2003, 10:38 PM
Geez, my memory is crap!
That's it. I'm gonna go back and watch AG 01 - 30 and Hoso 01 - 08 right now, and write notes as I watch them.

@_@ Man, you'd think someone could remember simple facts such as who evolves when, LOL. @_@

Hanada Tattsu
19th June 2003, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I saw AG 20 and 24 for the first time today, and both were very good! AG 24 was no filler, like Zak said, the Wurmples evolve, and it's also hilarious. The Team Rocket motto is just freaky.

Gravy
20th June 2003, 04:34 AM
Yeah, I saw AG 20 and 24 for the first time today, and both were very good! AG 24 was no filler, like Zak said, the Wurmples evolve, and it's also hilarious. The Team Rocket motto is just freaky.

LOL, yeah, their motto is a little weird in 24 isn't it? But I still like it, especially Wobbufett's little 'Soooonansu!' in slow motion:D
I find it odd how the Wurmple's evolved though. I mean, should they spin thread around themselves like Caterpie did?

Hanada Tattsu
20th June 2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Gravy
LOL, yeah, their motto is a little weird in 24 isn't it? But I still like it, especially Wobbufett's little 'Soooonansu!' in slow motion:D
I find it odd how the Wurmple's evolved though. I mean, should they spin thread around themselves like Caterpie did?

That was funny. When TR stole Pikachu, Corphish was like 'Hei; Hei Hei' and Jessie made fun of it in her motto. Her first words were 'Hei Hei Hei or something.

Gravy
20th June 2003, 11:33 AM
That was funny. When TR stole Pikachu, Corphish was like 'Hei; Hei Hei' and Jessie made fun of it in her motto. Her first words were 'Hei Hei Hei or something.

Thats the first episode I heard Corphish speak, and I broke out in laughter when I heard its voice. Reminded me of Yogi Bear at first :P
Yeah, Jessie did say 'Hei hei Hei' in the motto. Its always nice to see a change in the motto for every episode.

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 12:15 AM
Thats the first episode I heard Corphish speak, and I broke out in laughter when I heard its voice. Reminded me of Yogi Bear at first :P
Yeah, Jessie did say 'Hei hei Hei' in the motto. Its always nice to see a change in the motto for every episode.

Yeah, AG 20 had the Rockets saying names of Japanese foods in their motto, 'Tis quite funny, actually.

AKA Pokemon Fan
21st June 2003, 03:32 PM
They did away with that idea of evolving later in the series. Anytime you see Butterfree or Beedrill evolve later on they just glow like all other Pokemon.

Gravy
21st June 2003, 05:20 PM
thats a shame. It made the worm and cocoon pokemon special in a way. Now they haven't really got anything going for them....apart from Pidgeottos of course:rolleyes:
Its little details like that which make the anime a little more 'magical' so to speak.

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 05:45 PM
Yeah, the Wurmples just evolved like anything else. Remember how Metapod evolved? I wish cacoon Pokemon like Silcoon and Cascoon would evovle like that.