PDA

View Full Version : Mewtwo?! Why!?

Lord Phillock
16th June 2003, 02:38 AM
Why does ash have to be friends with the most powerful creature that ever set foot on that planet scince Mew?!

Don't tell me that "the writers put it that way" not only the writers but maybe Satoshi Taijiri too! But it doesn't explain anything!!!! Tell me something logical! and make it funny! Becasue i always get bad replies!!!:(

Bacl
16th June 2003, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by Lord Phillock
Why does ash have to be friends with the most powerful creature that ever set foot on that planet scince Mew?!

Don't tell me that "the writers put it that way" not only the writers but maybe Satoshi Taijiri too! But it doesn't explain anything!!!! Tell me something logical! and make it funny! Becasue i always get bad replies!!!:(

Dude, you just made like four posts in a row that could all be the under the same topic of "I don't like Pokemon anime." Why is Ash friends with Mewtwo? Well I wouldn't say they are friends but I would say that Ash has shown Mewtwo compasion and understanding. Ash loves all Pokemon. He believes in them so much that he often run in between them and shouts something like "Knock it off!" when they are fighting for the wrong reasons. This is the kid who sacrificed himself so that Mew and Mewtwo would not fight. I also believe he tried shouting at the legendary birds to stop their fighting, as if he could simply reason with them. You think that's lame? I think that's the heart of Pokemon.

Lord Phillock
16th June 2003, 03:00 AM
well i dont think that any pokemon will die like in Mewtwo strikes back! Why would they die!? Its a battle not a war! But must ash do those things? Mewtwo will always be a nomad! NOT ASH'S POKEMON!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRGGHHH!!!!!!

sorry, y'all i just hate ash, he doesn't deserve all this.... it's logicall. :(

no offence to ash fans. Can't i have my opinion? Can't I hate ash?

togepretty
16th June 2003, 05:00 AM
Tell me something logical! and make it funny! Becasue i always get bad replies!!!

To you, anything that doesn't say "Yeah, u r so right! Ash Sux!!!! I hate him! Gary rules!!!!!!" is a bad and illogical reply. :rolleyes:

Now, what on Earth is wrong with Mewtwo and Ash being friends?
Is it logical for YOU to say that Ash is not good enough for Mewtwo? What is that supposed to mean? Even after Mewtwo tried to take all of Ash's Pokemon, and tried to injure(if not completely destroy him) in the first movie, Ash still didn't bother to think twice about helping him in Mewtwo Returns. And Mewtwo realized that Ash cares for all Pokemon, and that he doesn't need reasons to help them. He just does it because it is the right thing to do(because he's the hero*hint**hint*).

And since when is Mewtwo Ash's Pokemon? I think you may be a tad confused there.
Like you said, they are just friends who respect each other.
So I honestly don't get what your problem is, and in my opinion, it is a pretty silly complaint.

"But they can't be friends! Ash isn't cool enough for Mewtwo!"

Seriously, did you think this question through before posting it?

Lord Phillock
16th June 2003, 05:53 AM
Please note that i hate gary too! Sure, he's smarter (alot smarter) when it comes to battling. (ash wins by luck of course)

I refer to DON'T LAUGH! me. I picture myself as a character. Now i think that's fun. Not rooting for anyone (maybe Mewtwo) and just watching the show. Seeing how many neat things there are in the World, not watching ash battling.

and ash ISN't cool enough for mewtwo! Well, if i had the chance to edit mewtwo's personallity i would make him more serious, and for him to be a confident (and always right) Pokemon. A nomad. Not caring for a single soul(almost).

Mewtwo will always be the greatest Pokemon in the world! Science conquers all (pokemon) powers! He's a genetic pokemon, and made to be the most powerful. The hole world rotates on ash or something. Why? Why call it Pokemon? Why not ASh World?

togepretty
16th June 2003, 06:05 AM
It seems that you would be a lot happier writing fanfiction. Then you will be able to make the show anything you want, because you are obviously not happy with as it is now. And it's not going to be changing anytime soon.

Dragon_Claw
16th June 2003, 01:59 PM
Ofcourse everything happens to Ash. Didn't you see the second movie: Ash IS the chosen one.

Would you like it if the show is about a youngster called Billy with his Rattata that never won a battle against an evolved Pokémon, spending his life in New Bark town or whatever fighting wil half-defeated Pidgeys?

No ofcourse not, and that's why we follow the chosen one!

Hanada Tattsu
16th June 2003, 07:15 PM
Dude, I'm watching you. Your character bashing is getting annoying, you can have your opinion, but don't avertise it.

I don't like May, but I don't make whole topics about it.

Now, Mewtwo is not Ash's Pokemon. Period. Never has, never will. As far as I am concerned, Mewtwo respects Ash, because he would go to so many lengths because he loves his Pokemon.

AKA Pokemon Fan
17th June 2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Lord Phillock

I'll give you a very logical reply.

ASH SAVED MEWTWO'S LIFE!

First Ash helped Mewtwo realize the error in his thinking by sacrificing himself to save both the clones and the original Pokemon. Mewtwo explained all this in the beginning of Mewtwo Returns. If left to keep fighting its likely Mewtwo and Mew would have killed each other.

Then Ash selflessly saves Mewtwo's life in Mewtwo Returns when it is lying on the ground, mortally injured and dying. He ignores the scientists orders to not throw Mewtwo in the lake and does so.

With the huge role Ash has played in Mewtwo's life it makes perfect sense that they're friends. I mean would you want to not be friends with someone who did all that for you?

well i dont think that any pokemon will die like in Mewtwo strikes back! Why would they die!? Its a battle not a war! But must ash do those things? Mewtwo will always be a nomad! NOT ASH'S POKEMON!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRGGHHH!!!!!!
That was no ordinary battle. It was made clear that all the Pokemon were fighting to the death. Even Mewtwo and Mew would have eventually killed each other (and probably everyone else) if they kept expending so much power.

Mewtwo has never indicated it wants to be Ash's pokemon.

sorry, y'all i just hate ash, he doesn't deserve all this.... it's logicall.

no offence to ash fans. Can't i have my opinion? Can't I hate ash?
Of course you can. It's a free country after all. However, no one here will respect your views if you don't start providing better reasoning behind them.

and ash ISN't cool enough for mewtwo!
If you choose your friends based on how "cool" they are then I pity you.

Well, if i had the chance to edit mewtwo's personallity i would make him more serious, and for him to be a confident (and always right) Pokemon. A nomad. Not caring for a single soul(almost).
More serious? Sheesh the guy is about the most serious character possible.

A character that is always confident and always right. You think that makes sense? Mewtwo is still quite new to the world and was born basically a blank slate with no effective teachers in the ways of the world.

Why would you admire a character that cares about almost no one? As it is Mewtwo has concern for others lives but otherwise deeply cares about very few indeed, mainly his clones and Ash's group.

Mewtwo will always be the greatest Pokemon in the world! Science conquers all (pokemon) powers! He's a genetic pokemon, and made to be the most powerful. The hole world rotates on ash or something. Why? Why call it Pokemon? Why not ASh World?
Science is never perfect and neither is Mewtwo. Most of Mewtwo's struggles and inner torment have been because of the consequences of the very science that made it. Mewtwo has no family, it is one of a kind, it had no one to bring it up or teach it how to live. For a long time it's sole role model in the world was a power-crazed villain and from its birth it had only known betrayel and destruction.

And what makes you think the whole world revolves around Ash? Do you know about the Raikou Special, the Misty and Brock specials etc. ? They had nothing to do with Ash. In general the show revolves around Ash because he IS THE MAIN CHARACTER and the show follows his journey so of course most events will have something to do with him. Combine that with his special destined nature and his influence in big events only makes sense.

I think you should put a damper on making new topics and try to digest the replies I and others have given you and then reply to them so we may answer your questions or argue points more effectively.

Hanada Tattsu
17th June 2003, 12:46 AM
I really don't know why you hate Ash so much.

It's easy to explain. Ash is the main character, that is why he gets the most attention. Like in I Love Lucy, many of the plots center Lucy, because she is the main character.

It's quite simple really....

Kairu_Hakubi
6th July 2003, 07:51 PM
and as a main character satoshi is annoying, dumb, very very strong, and gets by from extreme luck and good friends instead of any of his own skill. compare it to dbz, sailormoon, tenchi, naruto, ranma, and a hundred other anime.

it's what makes it cool i guess, watching a strong idiot luck his way into fame.

AKA Pokemon Fan
7th July 2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Kairu_Hakubi
and as a main character satoshi is annoying, dumb, very very strong, and gets by from extreme luck and good friends instead of any of his own skill. compare it to dbz, sailormoon, tenchi, naruto, ranma, and a hundred other anime.

it's what makes it cool i guess, watching a strong idiot luck his way into fame.
If you're going to accuse Ash/Satoshi of getting by without any skill it would be nice if you provided some evidence to back it up. I for one can name at least a dozen instances at a time that show he has skill.

And also, I was under the impression that Satoshi was smarter than the dub makes Ash out to be at times. Or do you simply prefer that anme and haven't actually seen Japanese episodes?

Hanada Tattsu
7th July 2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
If you're going to accuse Ash/Satoshi of getting by without any skill it would be nice if you provided some evidence to back it up. I for one can name at least a dozen instances at a time that show he has skill.

And also, I was under the impression that Satoshi was smarter than the dub makes Ash out to be at times. Or do you simply prefer that anme and haven't actually seen Japanese episodes?

That is true. The dubbed Ash is not as mature and not as smarter in terms of skill than Satoshi.

Nikku-San
7th July 2003, 11:51 PM
Ash isn't just dumb and lucky. He has heart, determination and DOES use strtategy. Granted, not as much as his manga counter-part, Red, but he still does.

Hanada Tattsu
8th July 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Nikku-San
Ash isn't just dumb and lucky. He has heart, determination and DOES use strtategy. Granted, not as much as his manga counter-part, Red, but he still does.

Ouch, you guys should really see AG. I mean, the Johto and Kanto Ash is gone. The new Ash is really strong, and not cocky. He's kinda like the Johto version of Gary, except he's not mean to his opponents.

Entropy
8th July 2003, 04:37 PM
What? Heh, now he's nothing. Well, I propose he pimps every girl he has met so far. That should spice things up.

Hanada Tattsu
8th July 2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
What? Heh, now he's nothing. Well, I propose he pimps every girl he has met so far. That should spice things up.

LOL, except for May. He should pimp Misty. :D

Okay, let's stop now, I don't want to turn this into that old Brock and Proffesor Ivy thread we had a while back, anyone remember that?

nintendestined64
9th July 2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
[B]LOL, except for May. He should pimp Misty. :D

Or maybe he should just pimp both of 'em, lol. J/K :D

Anyways, it confuses me why you wouldn't want Ash/Satoshi to be friends with Mewtwo. I mean, after seeing how dark and brooding he was in Mewtwo Strikes Back, you think he'd need a friend or two. :rolleyes:
I do agree with you about liking Mewtwo though; He's my favorite 'character' in the whole show besides Meowth. He wasn't one-dimensional like a whole lot of OTHER Pokemon humans(mostly just the ones that the group never see again after they help them with their Pokemon problem.). I hope we get to see him again soon. :yes:

Hanada Tattsu
9th July 2003, 01:13 AM
Mewtwo will reappear, it's imminent. I think the writers are hiding a major event involving Mewtwo, because I don't think it's the last we've seen of Mewtwo, Mew, and the clones.

nintendestined64
9th July 2003, 01:33 AM
I sure hope he returns again. There's one thing that's bugging me though, Mewtwo keeps popping up in the Japanese movie trailers, yet he never actually is in the movies. I doubt he'll be in the Advance Generation film too. All this teasing is driving me nuts! :confused:
Anyways, to get back on topic, I'm REALLY sure Mewtwo wants friends, because of how he submitted to Giovanni in Mewtwo Returns to save the clones. Plus, remember what Mewtwo said to Ash at the end of the special. :yes:
*starts to sing 'Why Can't We Be Friends?'* :wave: :wave: :wave:

Hanada Tattsu
9th July 2003, 10:58 PM
Mewtwo is lonely, he really wants to be friends with someone real, not clones. I think that's why he submitted so easily to Ash in the first movie.

AKA Pokemon Fan
9th July 2003, 11:45 PM
Mewtwo may reappear in the anime. He seems natural to at least be mentioned during whatever movie they make involving Deoxys.

However, I doubt the other clones, or at least most of them, will ever be seen in the anime again, since Mewtwo scattered them across the land at the end of Mewtwo Returns.

DannyBoy
10th July 2003, 12:35 AM
It could be possible if ash and the gang run into some of the clones figure they could be in Hoenn, or they battle someone who caught one, or the clones start to breed and more of them are created. The writers could come up iwth endless possiblities.

nintendestined64
10th July 2003, 12:53 AM
That'd be kinda strange, because you can barely tell most of the clones apart from the regular Pokemon. And anyways, after seeing Mewtwo at the end of Mewtwo Returns, I'm pretty sure he(it?) doesn't give a care about whether a person has super almighty powerful Pokemon or not.

Cytrus
12th July 2003, 02:39 PM
Meh...
You really have some problems...
Write a ff in which Ash dies or something...
No offense but you see that crying I HATE ASH has no results here...
It will be better if you give some arguments or something *yawn*
I don't like Ash, or better, I liked him in the begining, when he wasn't the best and lost some times, but further in the anime he turns into some winningallthetimethankstoluckandwritersdecisionsan dmanipulationsjerk, good that it's the same moment that Gary changes from the extremely cocky one too... Eh, I still wait for Ash to change more, just so I can accept him, cause not liking the main character makes you lose some fun sometimes, Meh, really meh

Rei_Zero
12th July 2003, 04:06 PM
Ash doesn't always win. He's had to rechallenge at least two gyms, and once a gym leader gave Ash the match even though he had the upperhand and was winning (I am talking about Pryce). He also uses A LOT of strategy in most matches if you've been observing (didn't you say you the last gym he challenged was Chuck's??). And Gary's change is a character developement. Plenty of people are really cocky about something only to get crushed and not be cocky anymore.

Cytrus
12th July 2003, 04:16 PM
I didn't see any strategy in the battle with Chuck, I just saw that Bayleaf isn't affected by law of physic and can change the direction it's thrown into, no matter. And Whitney gaved him the badge altough he used 3 pokemon and she only used one, serves him right though, it's good that Gym Leaders can give badges when they think that someone deserves them and not when someone beats them. Meh, really, where should I see all the strategy you mention? Maybe I'm overlooking somethin'

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 04:20 PM
Gym Battles Ash has Lost, but Won the Rematch

Pewter City - Brock
Vermillion City - Lt. Surge
Saffron City - Sabrina (well, sorta)
Cinnabar Island - Blaine (well, sorta)
Goldenrod City - Whitney
Mahogany Town - Pryce
Blackthorn City - Clair (he would have lost, Noctowl was on its last breath)

Need I say more?

Dragon_Claw
12th July 2003, 04:22 PM
couldn't you at least say spoiler Hanada. I'm gonna watch the episode where Ash is gonna have his first battle against Pryce. No reason for watching now is there? :mad:

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Dragon_Claw
couldn't you at least say spoiler Hanada. I'm gonna watch the episode where Ash is gonna have his first battle against Pryce. No reason for watching now is there? :mad:

Well, the episode aired in the United States, Canada, Japan, and Australia, so the majority of people who visit this board have seen the episode. If I was doing what you had in mind, than every reply people made on this board would have **SPOILERS** before them.

Dragon_Claw
12th July 2003, 04:25 PM
yes they should. At least about important episodes.

Cytrus
12th July 2003, 04:27 PM
Great, no respect for minority! Just because it was there and there we don't count :mad:. Nah I don't really care, I am pretty sure that nothing further than Chuck will be shown in poland so I might as well read about it :(. *sighs*

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 04:28 PM
Well, what if I want to talk about a Pokemon that was used in a filler? Would I have to put **SPOILERS**? There are people all over the world here, and we simply cannot meet all their needs when posting, otherwise each post would take years.

**SPOILERS FOR PEOPLE WHO DO NOT RESIDE IN THE US, THE UK and IRELAND, AUSTRALIA, AND CANADA**

If I wanted to post a topic about Ash using Phanpy in a future episode, I'd have to type that in every post.

Oh well. Enough ranting. I'm a mod, I should act like one. Okay, back to discussing Mewtwo.

Dragon_Claw
12th July 2003, 04:31 PM
well I'm sorry but the least you could do was warn or something :( But this is turning into a aim chat

But shouldn't this thread get deleted because of Cytrus' specialty: ash bashing?

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Cytrus
Great, no respect for minority! Just because it was there and there we don't count :mad:. Nah I don't really care, I am pretty sure that nothing further than Chuck will be shown in poland so I might as well read about it :(. *sighs*

By the way, you live in Poland? I didn't know that. I was studying the Nazi invasion of Poland, and I was watching that movie The Pianist, it was really good. Do you reside in Warsaw, Danzig, or Cracow/Krakow?

BTW, how do you spell that, Cracow or Krakow?

Entropy
12th July 2003, 04:37 PM
It's Krakow, Hanada.

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Entropy
It's Krakow, Hanada.

Okay, thanks. :)

By the way, are you Polish too?

Also, no, but I do have to warn Cytrus to die down the bashing a bit, you can state your opinions but keep it down a bit.

Cytrus
12th July 2003, 04:41 PM
Well the real name is Kraków, but since you propably don't have the ó letter, no matter, it's just like u. It would be something like Cracuw. I don't live anywhere where the invasion was most painfull, we learn about it quite a lot anyway -_-"

But shouldn't this thread get deleted because of Cytrus' specialty: ash bashing?
I feel touched by this one, I gaved my reasons etc. but joined you all in saying that Ash sucks is stupid (by the starter of the thread), I think that saying this is unjust.

AKA Pokemon Fan
12th July 2003, 04:53 PM
I feel touched by this one, I gaved my reasons etc. but joined you all in saying that Ash sucks is stupid (by the starter of the thread), I think that saying this is unjust.
Indeed, I find you to be a quite moderate basher. In fact, it'd be more fair to call you an Ash critic instead of a basher.:yes:

I have nothing to add to the Mewtwo discussion, it's really quite over as far as I can see, but I will remark on your remark about Whitney. I agree that it is good that gym leaders can give trainers badges based on merit and not black and white win or lose reasons, but I do want to say that it was perfectly fair for Whitney to use only Miltank in that match as Ash beat her other Pokemon extremely easily. Just like in the game the only Pokemon Whitney has that is at all a challenge is Miltank.

Here's hoping new episodes will someday be shown in your homelands.:(

Entropy
12th July 2003, 04:54 PM
No Hanada, I'm not polish.

And Cytrus, if you really gave good reasoning for your opinion, I see no reason why you can't voice it.

Rei_Zero
12th July 2003, 07:24 PM
I didn't see any strategy in the battle with Chuck, I just saw that Bayleaf isn't affected by law of physic and can change the direction it's thrown into, no matter. And Whitney gaved him the badge altough he used 3 pokemon and she only used one, serves him right though, it's good that Gym Leaders can give badges when they think that someone deserves them and not when someone beats them. Meh, really, where should I see all the strategy you mention? Maybe I'm overlooking somethin'
Notice I said MOST of the battles. SPOILERS to you but some strategy was involved in the fight against Jasmine, and Pryce. I didn't get to see the battle with Clair though. And about Whitney using only Miltank. It is kinda fair if you think about it. Rollout increases power continuosly, and there is no limit to how much it rolls. So at a certain point, rollout could knock out anything if Miltank is healthy enough to continue rolling. I would say that all trainers get the same treatment, because Miltank's rollout could become a near impossible move to beat at a certain point for just one pokemon. Now, let's see about the other battles Ash has had:

Ash vs Drake-This is when we see Ash start to use smart moves
Ash vs Falkner-Ash figured out Pigeot's weak point when doing quick attack and figured out exploit that weakness.
Ash vs Bugsy-Cyndaquils vs Scyther. Putting flames around the whirlwind/swords dance so Scyther still gets toasted.
As vs Whitney-You seem to know this.
As vs Chuck-Absolutely nothing here. It was just a show of strength vs strength.
SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT FORWARD
Jasmine-Cyndaquile vs Steelix. Same strategy as with Bugsy, only againsts sandstorm.
Pryce-Cyndaquil waiting for Dewgong for the precise moment so it couldn't dodge. Pinball Pikachu avoiding the blizzards and attacking where Piloswine can't attack him.
Clair-Didn't see this one....
And that's all so far.

AKA Pokemon Fan
12th July 2003, 08:11 PM
Ash has shown good strategy earlier than that. One of the earliest and best was against Mandy in the first Pokemon League. When Kingler couldn't hit Seadra with Water Gun Ash had it use Bubble, an attack which spreads over a wider area than Bubble and slows the opponent down, making it hard for Seadra to dodge.

Then in the Orange Islands Ash wins a race with Cissy by having Lapras slide on an ice bridge instead of swimming.

Later in the Orange islands while Ash is battling using Charizard he has Charizard come at Poliwrath then spin at the precise moment to put Poliwrath off guard and leave it helpless to Sesimic Toss.

There is a lot of strategy in the gym battle against Clair as well.

*SPOILERS*

Ash uses Snorlax's weight to his advantage by having it quickly roll out of the way of attacks and go under water to avoid other attacks, before surfacing and launching moves of its own.

When backed into a corner Ash has Pikachu run ON TOP of Gyarados's Hydro Pump to get close enough to attack it.

Ash has Pikachu fire Thunderbolts up at Dragonair, not to damage it but to force it to fly lower to the ground so that Pikachu can use more effective physical attacks.

Ash has Charizard melt the water in Clair's field to take away Dragonair's main advantage. Then when Dragonair's Dragon Rage keeps Charizard from being able to perform Seismic Toss effectively, Ash has Charizard use Fire Spin to negate Dragonair's move while Charizard uses Seismic Toss, creating a Flaming Seismic Toss!

Then, in Hoenn, when battling Roxanne Ash coaxes her to have Nosepass fire a Zap Cannon, then has Pikachu fre a Thunderbolt, blowing up the Zap Cannon in Nosepass's face and paralyzing it.:D

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 08:46 PM
The Ash in Kanto was very hotheaded. He thought he was already a Pokemon Master, he thought he was the best. Only after loosing the Indigo League did Ash realize that he wasn't as good as he was. Hasn't everyone noticed that the Kanto Ash was much more hotheaded than the Johto or Hoenn Ash? I know everyone knew that, but I'm bringing this up, because I think the future May will be the next Kanto Ash.

**SPOILERS**

May is starting to train her Pokemon for contests now, namely Beautifly and Torchic/Combusken (if Torchic does indeed evolve) of course, I seem to think that when she does indeed win a few contests, she'll become cocky and think she's the best.

AKA Pokemon Fan
13th July 2003, 12:31 AM
The Ash in Kanto was very hotheaded. He thought he was already a Pokemon Master, he thought he was the best. Only after loosing the Indigo League did Ash realize that he wasn't as good as he was. Hasn't everyone noticed that the Kanto Ash was much more hotheaded than the Johto or Hoenn Ash?
Yes, it's quite noticeable. Ash got at his worst in the AJ episode when he thought he was unbeatable. Then after winning the Orange League he got a bit too confident but not as bad as before. Then in the Grass Route he got a quick reminder to be humble. But aside from that and since then he has gotten a cooler and cooler head about Pokemon and life in general. Misty and him interact with much less fighting and he now needs less and less to no advice from Brock and Misty during battles.

Aside from becomng too overzealous about his new Pokemon's abilities in the second gym match in AG and suffering the consequences Ash has not relapsed at all since. He really has learned a lot. Take today's episode. After Totodile lost he thanks it for the battle, and doesn't even need the consolation Brock offers, having seen the battle as a fun and good experience even though he lost. The old Kanto Ash would have become angry or very depressed.

I know everyone knew that, but I'm bringing this up, because I think the future May will be the next Kanto Ash.

Perhaps, but while she is in many ways a female Ash, and seems to love showing him up whenever she can, its hard to say if she'll end up like Ash did early on, especially since she has a trainer with her (Ash) who is familiar with the problems of getting too cocky. She also seems to be someone who quickly learns from mistakes.

Cytrus
13th July 2003, 09:38 AM
Can someone explain me one thing though; we see Charizard use Seismic Toss quite a few times, propably a TM when he was a Charmander or whatever else, dunno what, but I can't understand why pokemon which are beeing seismic tossed do nothing, maybe a small dragonair is overwhelmed by the grasp or something, but ie. Drakes Electabuzz could easily produce a good schock while he was lifted into the air, and wouldn't schock itself, as the family can absorb electricity in the anime. Dunno, really. And I'm not asking just reffering to Ash, it just seems strange, and have you seen Machoke using seismic toss (Wobbuffet Villiage)? OMFG!!! I mean, it was floating and making circles in the air! HOW?!?!?!?! It can't have psychic powers, can it?

Hanada Tattsu
13th July 2003, 10:36 AM
Can someone explain me one thing though; we see Charizard use Seismic Toss quite a few times, propably a TM when he was a Charmander or whatever else, dunno what, but I can't understand why pokemon which are beeing seismic tossed do nothing, maybe a small dragonair is overwhelmed by the grasp or something, but ie. Drakes Electabuzz could easily produce a good schock while he was lifted into the air, and wouldn't schock itself, as the family can absorb electricity in the anime. Dunno, really. And I'm not asking just reffering to Ash, it just seems strange, and have you seen Machoke using seismic toss (Wobbuffet Villiage)? OMFG!!! I mean, it was floating and making circles in the air! HOW?!?!?!?! It can't have psychic powers, can it?

Well, first off, there are no such thing as TM's or HM's in the anime, and I doubt that there will ever be. There are TM's and HM's in the games, and they are shown in the manga once, but not in the anime or the card game.

Secondly, they very well could. For example, Drake's Electabuzz could have easily shocked and probably KO'd Charizard easily with a Thunder attack, as for psychic powers, I doubt it. Machoke or any other Seismic Tossing Pokemon for that matter don't have any attacks, it's just part of the attack.

Cytrus
13th July 2003, 10:47 AM
For example, Drake's Electabuzz could have easily shocked and probably KO'd Charizard easily with a Thunder attack
But it didn't, why? That's my question, Seismic Toss takes lotta time but no one seems to use this factor when they can.
The Machoke looked sooooo funny floating, and you didn't give me a reason not to laugh at it, that's one of the funniest moments in the anime IMO >: ). How are HMs\TMs presented in manga?

Hanada Tattsu
13th July 2003, 10:52 AM
But it didn't, why? That's my question, Seismic Toss takes lotta time but no one seems to use this factor when they can.

Well, the writers made Electabuzz not shock Charizard because if it did, Charizard would have fainted, and Ash would have lost the round and the League, so they made Electabuzz stay neutral so Ash could win.

The Machoke looked sooooo funny floating, and you didn't give me a reason not to laugh at it, that's one of the funniest moments in the anime IMO >: ).

It is, we should all laugh at it. I mean Machoke isn't physically able to float in the air, I suppose, it is pretty heavy and muscular, I seriously doubt it could be up their for long.

How are HMs\TMs presented in manga?

Well, in the manga they are like little boxes with the word TM written on it, and that's as far as I remember.

Cytrus
13th July 2003, 11:02 AM
So you don't remember how they are used :(?

Hanada Tattsu
13th July 2003, 11:18 AM
So you don't remember how they are used :(?

Well, I'm gonna get my manga from my brother's room in a few hours, but he's asleep now, so you'll have to wait a bit. :(

Cytrus
13th July 2003, 11:27 AM
OK. (is ok counted as two words or one? no matter, I made this post longer by this trashy question anyway ^_^)

Hanada Tattsu
13th July 2003, 11:35 AM
OK. (is ok counted as two words or one? no matter, I made this post longer by this trashy question anyway ^_^)

Now that is spam. I told you to drop it and yet you are still doing it. Don't reply to this post about your reasons for doing so.

Cytrus
13th July 2003, 11:40 AM
:confused:

What rule am I breaking? I just said that it's okay and I will wait, added something stupid not to make it one word post, and now I'm breaking something more :confused:.

Cytrus is confused!
It hit itself in it's confusion!

X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(

Rei_Zero
13th July 2003, 12:54 PM
It could just be Machoke, being extremely strong, can jump up and do spins in the air, while the animators had a horrible time doing it. As for Electabuzz's not shocking, either time goes by faster then it actually is and the animators just wanted to make things dramtatic, or the pokemon get air scares and then gets too dizzy when it's spinning.

Cytrus
13th July 2003, 01:01 PM
Machoke - Hmmm... maybe.
Electabuzz - Nah, they don't seem dizzy or anything, and Charizard can't fly faster then normaly just because it has additional weight? Dunno, it may be some added bonus (agility like) but I don't think so.

BTW Rei, where are the anime board rules? Can't find them and I'm getting really dizzy cause of it... :-\

Rei_Zero
13th July 2003, 01:22 PM
Well, I remember Magmar looking pretty dizzy in Volcanic Panic. Maybe they decided not to go into detail after that. As for where the topic is, I don't know. It used to be sticky but it isn't there anymore. So can anyone find it and resticky it or make a new one?

AKA Pokemon Fan
13th July 2003, 04:51 PM
Magmar got dizzy because Charizard spun it around a bunch with Submission before launching Seismic Toss. It didn't do that with Electabuzz.

Butlet's look at what happened in that battle. First Bulbasaur is brought out and eventually is knocked out after Electabuzz uses several electric attacks. Thunderpunch seems to be a partial physical attack and so Bulbasaur is badly hurt despite its resistance to electricity.

Charizard comes out and is hit by a Thunderpunch and a large Thunderbolt, but endures them before blocking Electabuzz from attacking by using a quick Fire Spin. Then it picks up Electabuzz and the match soon ends.

The most logical reasons Electabuzz didn't shock Charizard are as follows. 1. It would have fallen along with Charizard and suffered damage, and (the better reason) 2. After all the Electric attacks it launched already it could very well have been out of electricity, just like we've seen other Electric types run out of juice.

As for why other Pokemon don't do things or land on their feet while being tossed, its due to the force with which Charizard launches the foe. Even Pidgeot couldn't regain control before hitting the ground. Even so

*SPOILERS*

Clair's Dragonair uses Dragon Rage while Charizard is preparing Seismic Toss, forcing Ash to think up a new strategy.

In the Silver Conference Gary's Blastoise uses Bite on Charizard while it is about to be Seismic Tossed.

In the Silver Conference Blaziken uses Flamethrower on the ground while it is falling to cushion its fall.

Dr_Omicron
14th July 2003, 01:42 AM
There are TM's and HM's in the games, and they are shown in the manga once, but not in the anime or the card game.

NOT TRUE. From Neo Destiny on, there are TM cards that you can attach onto a Pokémon to use that attack in place for the regular attack during that turn. However, the numbering system is completely different (and the attacks aren't in the game anyway, for the most part).

They look like metallic boxes with the Type's symbol painted on the side. (This is because in the TCG, the TMs only work with the Type of Pokémon it matches--for example, Water Pulse can be attached onto a Krabby or Feraligatr but not Pichu.) There's a slit along the middle so it can be opened, much like a lunchbox. I think there's an antenna too, but I have a very vague image of what it looks like.

nintendestined64
14th July 2003, 02:09 AM
I remember how the TMs in the manga work! They're little boxes that can be broken in two, causing powder to fall out of it and onto the Pokemon. Ash used TM 31 on Eevee, and that was pretty cool. Mimic attack, lol. :yes:

Cytrus
14th July 2003, 06:31 AM
You mean the cubes from TCG, seen em. I read about Master Lance's TM Dragonbreath too, but since I haven't seen the card I acn't tell if it's real.

Hanada Tattsu
14th July 2003, 11:56 AM
Wow, they did that with Neo Destiny? Cool, so I was wrong. However, still, the anime does not have TM's or HM's anywhere or never mentioned.

Mikey
14th July 2003, 12:01 PM
Yeah, instead of tms and hms, trainers just say I wanna teach this attack to my Pokemon. It always seems like the Pokemon cannot learn the attack right away and they need to work on it to help it master the attack. This is seen more in Hoenn then the other seasons where the Pokemon would learn the attack and that would be it.

Hanada Tattsu
14th July 2003, 12:03 PM
**SPOILERS**

Yes, Ash didn't give Pikachu a TM to learn Iron Tail, it actually was taught the attack by having a rock tied to its tail, that's how it learned it.

**END SPOILERS**

Cytrus
15th July 2003, 02:50 PM
Really? I mean, Ash would tie a rock to Pikachu's tail? *suprised* And how can it affect it's abilities? Dunno. We are going of topic, but since the orginal topic is pretty much worthless we don't really have to return to it...

Hanada Tattsu
15th July 2003, 03:25 PM
**SPOILERS**

What Ash did was tie a rock to Pikachu tail or something like that, it escapes me. Whatever he did, it showed us that Pokemon learn new moves by actually manually being taught the move.

AKA Pokemon Fan
16th July 2003, 08:51 AM
Ash tied a rock to Pikachu's tail, then Pikachu started doing tail push-ups (Ash doing push-ups next to it) to strengthen its tail for the move. He also had Pikachu practice knocking stones away with its tail. After a while of this Pikachu's tail glowed as it activated the move, but it was a while before it could use the move effectively as Iron Tail is apparently a very advanced and difficult move for a Pokemon to learn.

Mikey
16th July 2003, 09:35 AM
Actually, even before doing the push ups with its tsil, Pikachu had to practice that attack on trees and stones. Ash would have it jump at the onjects and wack them with its tail to perform the attack. Its tail would usually glow, then stop before it hit and it would hurt itself.:yes:

Hanada Tattsu
16th July 2003, 05:07 PM
**SPOILERS**

When May tried teaching her Beautifly Whirlwind and Silverwind, she threw frisbees at it, so it can try blowing them away with her wings.

Almond
18th July 2003, 01:26 AM
Didn't you see the second movie: Ash IS the chosen one.

Yeah, in the dub.

AKA Pokemon Fan
18th July 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Almond
Yeah, in the dub.
In the original as well, just much more subtle. Though I don't know whose post you took this from or what your point was here.

Hanada Tattsu
18th July 2003, 11:51 AM
We already discussed that, so stop bringing that up again.

I thought that the change was only in the dub as well, but I was really wrong. Ash is the chosen one in probably every movie, but they don't make a big deal about it.