PDA

View Full Version : I have a few questions

Sheik
19th June 2003, 09:03 PM
Ok...

1. Why is it so hard to write a trainer fic?

2. Is it just me, or does no one like trainer fics?

3. Why doesn't anyone like trainer fics?

4. What kind of fics do the majority of people like?

DannyBoy
19th June 2003, 09:14 PM
1: It really is not that hard to write a fic. I know that some people here started out bad and worked there way up to be good. Just takes practice.
2: The trainer fics here are popular, just look around at some of them.
3: This is just like number two but I know I like trainer fics.
4: Go to the writters lounge and there is a thread saying what people like.

I hope this helps out a little bit.

Iveechan
20th June 2003, 12:44 AM

Because it's a lot of work to make the main character face all those gyms and write tons of original sounding battles

I like them. The only problem is that TOO MANY are poorly written and follow the game too closely. I like off the wall and original trainer fics, like "Tyler and Magmar" and this one I read a long time ago called "Pokemon S"... it was HORRIBLY good.

See 2.

I think people will like just about any fic, just as long as it's well written and original and bursting with personality. I could say I like humor fics, but some humor fics are too nasty or stupid or badly written to enjoy.

Andrew
20th June 2003, 01:38 AM
Writers Lounge Please.... Please read the rules...

1) Its not really that hard..
2) They're insanely popular. TEL SAI ect ect there's been a ton.
3) Same as 2. But a the quality of writing needs to be good also and a decent plot. Or subplot.
4) Trainer Fics apparently. Run a poll... I dunno.

Captain Pringle
20th June 2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by PokeMaster Jay
I think a lot of the difficulty with writing any fic lies just in the sheer amount of work a good fic takes. For a full, well-developed story, you're usually talking thousands upon thousands of words that have to be written... it just takes a certain level of committment and love for writing. And for trainer fics, because there are sooo many of them out there, one big challenge is just keeping the story original, and making it stand out from all the other trainer fics out there.

Well like OzAndrew said, trainer fics are VERY popular. The most popular trainer fics are often times the most popular fics on the board. But of course, with so many trainer fics out there, it's hard to get one story to stand out from the rest of them. Thus, only a few end up getting really popular, while a good number of decent trainer fics get very little attention. Also, a lot of writers tend to start out with a trainer fic as their first fic, and this leads to a lot of below-quality trainer fics (no offense... I mean, nobody was born knowing how to write well; we all have to start somewhere). But as a genre, I'd say trainer fics are quite popular.

I'm really not sure... personally, the kind of fics I like are the ones that entertain me in some way, be it comedy, drama, adventure, or whatever. I think this is true for a lot of people... they just want to read a good story, something that keeps them interested... which, in the end, is why I think a lot of trainer fics fail; they're too predictable or too much like the anime / games. Originality is key.

Mewfour
20th June 2003, 08:40 PM

It isn't hard, it's actually pretty easy. Writing a good one, however, is another story.

It all comes down to a matter of taste, and a lot of luck finding interested readers.

Overdone.

mine. Now read them all.

Neo-Xantios
8th July 2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Sheik
Ok...

- IMO, the beginning is always the easiest. The ending is too. But what challenges me and many other writers are the sub-plots. I always have a hard time deciding what happens in between gym battles.

- No, I personally read nothing except trainer fanfics at TPM. They are extremely popular and most of them are intriguing and of high quility.

- I'll leave this question to the others. ;)

- Hmm.. I haven't been here long enough to know that, but all I know is that many people respond avidly to trainer fics.

Kohdok
9th July 2003, 04:52 PM
1: As everyone else has said, the effort poured into making an interesting and original fic is tremendous. Myself, I am loaded with free time, so I practice my writing a lot.

2 and 3: There's too much sand and too few diamonds. Some people start writing fics, but they are poorly done, riddled with grammer and spelling mistakes, and sometimes hard to understand. Mine were that way for a while, but 2 years of practice certainly improve your work. J.K Rowling didn't become a good writer in five minutes. It takes time.

4: Comedy seems to be popular. Action is kind of hard to depict in words, but can be a masterpiece if done correctly. Drama and romance are also popular. Probably the only kind that's not popular is the Crap genre, where there is basically no plot, the characters are made of cardboard, and people have a hard time understanding.

Iveechan
9th July 2003, 08:27 PM
Lol, crap is a genre now?