PDA

View Full Version : Hey, guys, is it my imagination, or...

Metarubeceramon
19th June 2003, 09:04 PM
... or the drawing style in the new AG episodes just got a WHOLE LOT better?? I remember the sneak peek we were given in March, more exactly about Jessie's hair. It did not look red anymore, but rather purple, and to my suprise, I really liked it. I haven't paid attention to all the other characters, but judging from pics, they have gotten a lot more color on them -and hence, a lot more life. I really liked that, it's like a signal that a new breath of fresh hair is coming our way regarding the newest Pokemon generation. Yeah, I may be simply sprinkling over a damp puddle, but I could not help mentioning it. Well, maybe the upcoming new eppies (I remember the sneak peek mentioning something about the new Pokemon we would be seeing this Fall) will make the series worth watching once again. Hey who knows? Having a great-looking episode guide does not relieve that ep from being slow and at parts boring.

Misty
19th June 2003, 09:19 PM
The animation has been vastly improved. It's almost comparative to, say, the first or second movie(not the third though, and I haven't seen the fourth/fifth) So yeah.

Legends-Kuja
19th June 2003, 09:42 PM
^Dude, the fifth Movie OWNZ YOU. Three words: Annie and Oakely.

Okay, I don't notice much of a difference, but I never thought the animation was poor to begin with.

Purasuru
19th June 2003, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry guys, but I can't say I feel the same way. While the color does indeed look great, it's still more of the same. In battle, we have fast moving backgrounds behind every trainer and every Pokémon doing an attack. Plus what also bugs me is the fact that when a Pokémon does a physical attack, the screen turns black and some white animation appears. Next we see the Pokémon flying hard from the attack in a fast moving background. Another thing that bugs me is the lack of good animation variety in attacks. Let us take the following examples...

Wing Attack: Taillow's wings glow white.
Cross Chop: Machop's hands glow white.
Focus Punch: Meditite's fist glows...what color? WHITE, OF COURSE!
Iron Tail: Pikachu's tail glows....white!

The show really is lacking in these things. Sure, the show may look more colorful and animation is improved a bit, but one day I hope to see the day when the animators actually try something different. Having even better animation, showing physical attacks connect, and for Christ's sake, less stock footage, please. I was extremely disappointed by Satoshi's first double battle. It was just screaming stock footage of Pikachu and Treecko dodging Night Shade and Gust (I believe) and....argh, it was just so sad to watch. Please understand that I still do like Pokemon AG, I just wish the animation would improve a bit more.

Hanada Tattsu
19th June 2003, 11:05 PM
Well, the reason the anime looks so much better is that the show was one of the last Japanese anime's to use cels. Now, the show is using digital animation, so that the animation in a random eppie will be like the movies.

Entropy
22nd June 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Purasuru
I'm sorry guys, but I can't say I feel the same way. While the color does indeed look great, it's still more of the same. In battle, we have fast moving backgrounds behind every trainer and every Pokémon doing an attack. Plus what also bugs me is the fact that when a Pokémon does a physical attack, the screen turns black and some white animation appears.

That's what I like to call a 'hit effect'. It's a bit of colorful animation that indicates a contact of any sort. It's used all over in animation so get used to it.

Next we see the Pokémon flying hard from the attack in a fast moving background. Another thing that bugs me is the lack of good animation variety in attacks. Let us take the following examples...

Wing Attack: Taillow's wings glow white.
Cross Chop: Machop's hands glow white.
Focus Punch: Meditite's fist glows...what color? WHITE, OF COURSE!
Iron Tail: Pikachu's tail glows....white!

I believe the white is used to indicate that part of the body is charging up for the attack. There's not much more they can do.

The show really is lacking in these things. Sure, the show may look more colorful and animation is improved a bit, but one day I hope to see the day when the animators actually try something different. Having even better animation, showing physical attacks connect, and for Christ's sake, less stock footage, please. I was extremely disappointed by Satoshi's first double battle. It was just screaming stock footage of Pikachu and Treecko dodging Night Shade and Gust (I believe) and....argh, it was just so sad to watch. Please understand that I still do like Pokemon AG, I just wish the animation would improve a bit more.

A couple of things. One, the animation already has improved, some physical attacks do connect, though I cann't recall any and using stock footage does sound nice when you've been animating, what, at least 300 episodes. Give these guys a break.

If you feel so good, why don't you join OLM studios? I'm sure they'll welcome an employee like you. ;)

Gravy
22nd June 2003, 11:29 AM
Yes, I agree the animation has improved dramitically in AG. Movement of characters and pokemon is smoother, and backgrounds and colouring are much more vibrant than the previous series, although 'Wurmple vs. Wurmple! Which is which?' is pretty poor for an AG attempt at animation, but thats a one of I'm sure.
Attacks are animated very well nowadays, except I have to agree with Parasuru about the way everything 'glows'. That annoys me somewhat, but it doesn't affect the show in any way, which makes me happy.

About those speeding backgrounds used to show movement and tense fight sences. Compare the animation of them to Kanto and Jogto, and you'll notice that they are much smoother. In Kanto and Johto, you could see where the animation of these little backgrounds were 'joined' together, if you see what I mean, whilst in AG they are smoother, and there is no evidence of them being 'joined'. Parasuru, this 'moving background technique is used in all anime. Its often used to convey feelings (surprise and anger mainly)and intence speeds in battles.
Also, I agree with Entopy on that fact that I haven't seen any stock footage used, apart from Treecko attacking with its tail, but thats all. Very, very minor.

Hanada Tattsu
22nd June 2003, 11:51 AM
Well, OLM has been animating this show for over 4 years now. You have to admit that the producers have used up so much of their budget on advertising that this is the best we can get. In my opinion, I'm thankful that the show has upgraded, the animation is so much better.

Entropy
23rd June 2003, 05:04 AM
Of course, unless they've been getting bribes from 4Kids... *gasp*

Hanada Tattsu
23rd June 2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Entropy
Of course, unless they've been getting bribes from 4Kids... *gasp*

That was happening when 4Kids invaded OLM Studios in 1999. Just jokin', but at that time, Pokemon was at its full potential, so 4Kids was the one thinking up how to animate and what to write and so forth.