PDA

View Full Version : Advance Generation Episode #31: Dewford Gym Rematch! Surfing Battlefiled!

Hanada Tattsu
20th June 2003, 12:25 AM
Advanced Generaition #31: Dewford Gym Rematch! Surfing Battlefield!

Initial First Thoughts

Finally, after over 10 episodes at Dewford Isle, Ash finally battles Brawly again. I wonder if he'll win, because he hasn't really caught any new Pokemon suitable for the match. I doubt Corphish could beat a fighting type, but I could be wrong. Well, let's see!

Screen by Screen Analysis of the Episode Preview

First, we see the regular red-orange background with Groudon and the Pokemon of the day on it, and then we see two doors open, to a blinding white light. We see Jessie, James, and Meowth looked beady eyed at something, and we soon see what. They've stumbled upon a bunch of food, a lot of food! We see two lights turn on, focusing on something. It's an arena in some sort of cave (maybe Granite Cave) and we see Ash on one side, and Brawly on the other. Ash orders his Treecko to use an attack, and Brawly orders his Machop to also use an attack. We then see water gushing up from somewhere, and we then see Brawly's Hariyama and Ash's Treecko get blasted in the air by the water, and they soon collide into each other, each taking damage. We then finish by seeing the blue background of Kyogre and the episode title.

Picture of the Week

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_ag/2_yokoku/img/031.jpg

It's a picture of Ash ordering his Treecko to attack Machop.

Final Thought

This looks like a great episode! Treecko looks like it will win in this episode, obviously. I kinda hope that it will evolve, but I doubt it. Well, until next week!

Shakespeare
20th June 2003, 01:21 AM
Hmm, sounds interesting. Maybe Treecko will evolve into Grovyle and use Leaf Blade to win? It could just defeat Hariyama as it is. Or maybe Taillow will win the match, as it is or evolving. I hope we see something evolve in this episode (hopefully not Machop, enough of Machoke already). Corphish may have something to do with this. I wouldn't be surprised if Pikachu wins it for Ash either.

I think it's pretty obvious Ash will win though.

SygmaXE
20th June 2003, 01:50 AM
Please don't think I'm trying to sound rude but why does everyone feel that this perticular battle will involve evolution? Someone had a point that Treecko won't evolve cause it's in the movie. I just want to see it use a damn Grass move (Bullet Seed at least!!!) since it still hasn't use any absorbing moves.

*Murkrow
20th June 2003, 05:29 AM
Sounds like a cool episode:yes:
I wouldn't mind one of the Pokés evolving(Taillow comes to mind), but even one of them learning a new attack could be quite neat I s'pose.
Ash'll more than likely win though, losing twice would be a bit to much:rolleyes:

Venasaur89
20th June 2003, 08:00 AM
Here's is the link to the picture of the episode by Japanese pokemon site:

Episode Picture (http://www.pokemon.co.jp/anima/index.html)

Looks weird!!

Gravy
20th June 2003, 11:17 AM
Is it just me, or do Hariyama's feet look a little off in that picture?...meh, I always liked Makuhita better anyways *shrugs*
Well, it sounds like a good rematch, and it looks like Ash will be using those gysers to get the edge in battle, which could be interesting.
I had a feeling he'd use Treecko again, seeing as it probably wants to prove to itself it can beat such a strong opponent. I hope Taillow is featured in a battle with Machop. that little bird doesn't get enough attention.

Hanada Tattsu
20th June 2003, 11:21 AM
I just saw AG20 and Makuhita has the worst voice. I'm kinda glad it evolved into Hariyama. For once, I have to say that I'm hoping the dubbed Makuhita has a better voice.

Gravy
20th June 2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
I just saw AG20 and Makuhita has the worst voice. I'm kinda glad it evolved into Hariyama. For once, I have to say that I'm hoping the dubbed Makuhita has a better voice.

lol, I actually liked Makuhita's voice myself. I thought it would be high pitched at first (kinda like Majin Buu :rolleyes: ), but was surprised to hear it wasn't. I think it kinda suits it ^_^0
I detest Hariyam's voice...they'll probably keep it for the dub, seeing as it has basically the same name in english.

Hanada Tattsu
20th June 2003, 11:29 AM
I thought Makuhita would have this kind of quiet, whispery voice, but it was the exact opposite. I wonder what voice Meditite will have.

Chris 2.1
20th June 2003, 11:35 AM
Hmm...I doubt Taillow will be in the fight, because Corphish's catch would have been pointless, since he caught him while training, i presumed Ash planned to use Lobsta (heh) in the upcoming battle. The geysres back up my theory.

However, Pikachu may have the power (ie: thunderbolt) to beat Hariyama, as well as a couple of well-placed iron tails!

RJdude
20th June 2003, 12:08 PM
Here's how I see the battle going (It'll probably be 2-on-2):

Brawly sends out Machop; Ash sends out Treecko
Treecko wins

Brawly sends out Hariyama, Ash keeps Treecko
The arena floods, and Hariyama uses its surfing experience to surf the waves and KO Treecko

Brawly keeps Hariyama, Ash sends out Corphish
Corphish, as a water type, uses the water to its advantage and beats Hariyama.

So Ash wins.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a good guess.

JazzJazz
20th June 2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by RJdude
Here's how I see the battle going (It'll probably be 2-on-2):

Brawly sends out Machop; Ash sends out Treecko
Treecko wins

Brawly sends out Hariyama, Ash keeps Treecko
The arena floods, and Hariyama uses its surfing experience to surf the waves and KO Treecko

Brawly keeps Hariyama, Ash sends out Corphish
Corphish, as a water type, uses the water to its advantage and beats Hariyama.

So Ash wins.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a good guess.

This is generally what I thought would happen to (based on the clip). However, I see two alternate ways for hariyama to be defeated. Firstly, treecko could do the job to prove itself against hariyama after being defeated itself. Secondly, a soaking-wet hariyama could be a good target for an electric attack from pikachu.

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 12:11 AM
Well, I think that Treecko will defeat Hariyama. RJ's theory is great, but instad of Treecko being used in the first round, Corphish should be used. Of course it loses, and Ash uses the gecko, which wins.

Nikku-San
21st June 2003, 02:01 AM
I hope he uses Corphish to win.

HelpNeeded
21st June 2003, 04:40 AM
I know that I probably sound really picky, but isn't an average Hariyama supposed to be 7'07"? Judging by Venusaur's pic, Brawly's is only about three feet tall(assuming Treecko is 1'04"). So either Brawly has a midget pokémon, or the perspective of the picture makes it look that way. Either way, this nitpicking had a point at one time... I just don't remember what it was.

On another note.....

One thing that's bugged me throughout the AG series is that move Treecko does so often. You know, where it slams its tail onto the opponent's head. What the heck is that? The only techniques Treecko can learn that would explain that move are Pound, Slam, and maybe Fury Cutter. That last one is kind of a stretch, though. Or maybe I'm simply giving the anime too much criticism in terms of being faithful to the game. Or maybe I'm an analytical a-hole. Whichever :)

*Murkrow
21st June 2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by HelpNeeded
One thing that's bugged me throughout the AG series is that move Treecko does so often. You know, where it slams its tail onto the opponent's head. What the heck is that? The only techniques Treecko can learn that would explain that move are Pound, Slam, and maybe Fury Cutter. That last one is kind of a stretch, though.

I'm guessing that it's slam, it makes sense, plus,
Part of Ruby Dex entry:This POKéMON attacks by slamming foes with its thick tail.

Though I agree about Hariyama's size, though it could be the angle, I suppose.But what are those two actually doing?Looks like they've just evaded each others attacks, or something:confused:

RJdude
21st June 2003, 08:55 AM
Sorry, Hanada and Jazz, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on what happens in the battle. They are both good theories, but I don't think they'll happen. Hanada, Hariyama is Brawly's most powerful Pokemon, so I'm sure the writters want to give it one victory in this battle, so I doubt Corphish is going to lose to Machop. HOWEVER, maybe Ash recalls Treecko after it beats Machop, and uses Corphish againist Hariyama, who will beat Corphish, then Ash has to send out Treecko again. And Jazz, I don't think Ash will use Pikachu to win the match for two reasons. One, Pikachu won the last battle for Ash, I don't think the writters will make Pikachu win again. And second, I'm not sure Pikachu is tha good of a swimmer to be battling in a flooded arena. But that brings up a good question: what happens to the trainers when the arena floods?

But anyway, I could be wrong, and if I'm wrong and you're right, your free to laugh in my face. Besides, who says it's two-on-two? Maybe it's three-on-three. I doubt it, but it could be.

2ra
21st June 2003, 11:10 AM
Rj it only shows Hariyama and Machop so its most probably 2 on 2. And about Pikachu not winning it, lets see something.

Falkner: Pikachu used
Bugsy: Pikachu used
Whitney: Pikachu used
Morty: Pikachu used
Chuck: Pikachu used
Pryce: Pikachu used
Clair: Pikachu used

Pikachu was used in all the battles in Johto, and just because Pikachu beats one doesn't mean it cant win the next badge. Although AG is different, so Pikachu might not battle, but its most probable that it will.

And who said Pikachu wasn't good in water? It's been underwater in the Whirl Islands, and this is just a flood, not an ocean. Sure, it had breathing equipment, but still, one shock while its in the water and it hits Hariyama.

UNLESS, everyone is in the water and Ash cant use Pikachu because everyone would get shocked so he uses Taillow of Corphish.

Team Rocket's Lugia
21st June 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 2ra
Rj it only shows Hariyama and Machop so its most probably 2 on 2. And about Pikachu not winning it, lets see something.

Falkner: Pikachu used
Bugsy: Pikachu used
Whitney: Pikachu used
Morty: Pikachu used
Chuck: Pikachu used
Pryce: Pikachu used
Clair: Pikachu used

Pikachu was used in all the battles in Johto, and just because Pikachu beats one doesn't mean it cant win the next badge. Although AG is different, so Pikachu might not battle, but its most probable that it will.

And who said Pikachu wasn't good in water? It's been underwater in the Whirl Islands, and this is just a flood, not an ocean. Sure, it had breathing equipment, but still, one shock while its in the water and it hits Hariyama.

UNLESS, everyone is in the water and Ash cant use Pikachu because everyone would get shocked so he uses Taillow of Corphish.

You forgot Jasmine.

Also, I hope someone will evlove, but it seems unlikely, as Makuhita evloved during the last battle.

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 05:41 PM
Let's not forget Kanto. Ash used Pikachu in that league quite a lot.

Pewter - Used
Vermillion - Used
Celadon - Used (Well, he released it, but if Team Rocket didn't attack it would have battled)
Saffron - Used
Viridian - Used

Well, Pikachu was in about 3/4 the battles of Kanto as well.

2ra
21st June 2003, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I forgot Jasmine xD Pikachu was also used in Orange Islands a lot, but Im not sure if that counts or not o.o

Anyways, I dont think a Pokemon evolves just yet, as none of Ash's Pokemon are evolved in there that I know of.

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 2ra
Yeah, I forgot Jasmine xD Pikachu was also used in Orange Islands a lot, but Im not sure if that counts or not o.o

Anyways, I dont think a Pokemon evolves just yet, as none of Ash's Pokemon are evolved in there that I know of.

Yeah, Pikachu was really used a lot in Kanto and the Orange Islands, even more so than it is currently in Hoenn.

HelpNeeded
21st June 2003, 07:38 PM
You forgot Jasmine, 2ra. I don't believe Pikachu was used in that battle... but I'm not sure. Also, if everyone was in water for the battle, Taillow could not be used because even if it could attack the opponent in the water, the other pokémon could simply go underwater to avoid the hit.

However, if memory serves me right, Pikachu has been used in every major battle with a water or ice field... so who knows. :)

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 08:26 PM
Pikachu battled against Magnemite in the Jasmine battle, but I forgot the outcome. I believe Pikachu beat Magnemite but was defeated by Steelix, who was later creamed by Cyndaquil. :)

RyuukoAremi
21st June 2003, 09:46 PM
I'm hoping that AG breaks the trend of Pikachu being used in every gym battle. I mean.. you'd think it would, since AG is a lot better and different than the Johto series. He has 4 pokemon to choose from, 2 he seems to always use (Treecko, Pikachu), one he seems to never use (Taillow), and one he basically just caught (Corphish). We know he uses Treecko, so he better not use Pikachu. =P Give Corphish or Taillow a chance to shine.

Hanada Tattsu
21st June 2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by RyuukoAremi
I'm hoping that AG breaks the trend of Pikachu being used in every gym battle. I mean.. you'd think it would, since AG is a lot better and different than the Johto series. He has 4 pokemon to choose from, 2 he seems to always use (Treecko, Pikachu), one he seems to never use (Taillow), and one he basically just caught (Corphish). We know he uses Treecko, so he better not use Pikachu. =P Give Corphish or Taillow a chance to shine.

Well, Corphish has been getting a lot of screen time lately, not as much as Pikachu or Treecko, but Ash is using it a whole lot more than Taillow. Taillow, I feel sorry for it, the writers didn't even give it its own personality.

Pokefreak
23rd June 2003, 03:30 PM
However, if memory serves me right, Pikachu has been used in every major battle with a water or ice field... so who knows. :)
Actually, Ash didn't use Pikachu against Misty because Pikachu didn't want to fight a friend.

Hanada Tattsu
23rd June 2003, 04:34 PM
He eventually does in Johto though.

During the battle for who keeps Totodile, Ash uses Pikachu against Misty's Togepi. Pikachu, however, doesn't want to hurt poor Togepi, so it loses.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th June 2003, 04:07 AM
*Breaks in* The first translation after my 18th birthday :D

Muro Gym Rematch! Surfing Battlefield!

Satoshi, who has been practising in order to fight again at Muro gym, can finally make Towaki, the gym leader, to accept a return match! However, last battle was in Towaki's secret training field and the standpoint has turned around...

Satoshi sees a change in the situation as he, showing the effects of practice, is going to dodge easily Towaki's Pokémon, who use strength by complusion. Towaki's Pokémon, sending out their skills forcibly, are also soon in high spirits. Nobody sees Satoshi having any advantage but Takeshi is different. As far as Takeshi is concerned, Towaki's way to battle shows that more chance has been created for Satoshi and he does not feel uneasy...

Muro=Dewford
Takeshi=Brock

Team Rocket's Lugia
24th June 2003, 06:20 AM
Hold it!

Ash is facing BROCK!!???

AKA Pokemon Fan
24th June 2003, 11:13 AM
I know that I probably sound really picky, but isn't an average Hariyama supposed to be 7'07"? Judging by Venusaur's pic, Brawly's is only about three feet tall(assuming Treecko is 1'04"). So either Brawly has a midget pokémon, or the perspective of the picture makes it look that way. Either way, this nitpicking had a point at one time... I just don't remember what it was.
Yeah I think Brawly's Hariyama is quite small. However, this may be due to it having only recently evolved. It's quite possible that if a Pokemon evolves quickly then it won't immediately reach its full size. For instance, Charizard seems to have increased in size since it first evolved.

Hold it!

Ash is facing BROCK!!???
No. Brock is merely saying that the nature of the battlefield has given Ash a good opportunity to use strategy over power to win.

And I'll bet anything that Treeko wins the match against Hariyama. Given its determination and the fact that it has lost two gym battles already it will be very determined to prove itself in this one. Or if not then it will likely win in the next gym.

Oh, and there was one Kanto gym that Pikachu did not battle in. The Soul Badge given to him by Koga. He used Pidgeoto and Charmander in that battle/s.

Hanada Tattsu
24th June 2003, 11:26 AM
When was the last time Ash officially battled Brock anyway?

I think it was the Pewter Gym battle. From that time, I don't remember the two facing off. Y'know, I would like to see them battle, a rematch.

Also, happy birthday, Mikachu! Thanks! :)

Gravy
25th June 2003, 04:05 PM
When was the last time Ash officially battled Brock anyway?

I think it was the Pewter Gym battle. From that time, I don't remember the two facing off. Y'know, I would like to see them battle, a rematch.

I beleive he battled him in the episode 'The ancient puzzle of Pokemopolis'. Pika vs. Vulpix if I'm not mistaken. It was over as soon as it started when Jigglypuff appeared on the scene though ^_^0

DannyBoy
25th June 2003, 06:09 PM
Yea, I remember that. Vulpix was going to do a flamethrower and Pikachu was going to do a thunderbolt but then they got interupted by JugglyPuff. I had taped that episode a long time ago.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 10:58 PM
Team Rocket opens the freezer door somewhere and sees all these Pokeblock berries.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Animelee
25th June 2003, 10:59 PM
The battlefield.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:03 PM
The [coolest] challenger.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:05 PM
The Gym Leader, who happens to be very hip.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:07 PM
"Kimori, attack!"

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:30 PM
"Wanrikki, attack!"

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:38 PM
"Kimo!"

Hanada Tattsu
25th June 2003, 11:39 PM
Wow, thanks for the pics!

Heh, the animation in this episode is going to be much better than usual, I can see. You got those from the preview, right?

Hanada Tattsu
25th June 2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Otaku Shigeru
"Rikki!"

Did something happen? There' s no pic there, I think the attachment didn't work, I suppose.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:44 PM
Oops. Sorry, I'm feeling a bit dizzy. @_@ I'll delete that one and replace it.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:47 PM
Yep, these are from the preview. The episode comes on in five hours from now, and I'll be sure to make screenshots from it, too! :D

"Rikki!"

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:52 PM
The geysers are pushing 'em up.

Animelee
25th June 2003, 11:54 PM
Who will be the one to faint first? O_O

Hanada Tattsu
25th June 2003, 11:56 PM
Wow, do you have satelite or something? If you do, please either AIM me or PM me and tell me how you got it.

Thanks!

Animelee
26th June 2003, 12:03 AM
Actually, I have Japanese friends on WinMX who cap the episodes and send them to me. ^^;

This is the last pic for today. :D

Hanada Tattsu
26th June 2003, 12:32 AM
WinMX? What is that exactly, lol. Sorry if I'm ignorant, it's just that it's kinda late here, lol. ^_^;;

Animelee
26th June 2003, 12:42 AM
It's a filesharing program like Kazaa or mIRC. It's very popular with Japanese people, LOL. And with my VERY BASIC Japanese "skills" (they aren't skills, LOL), I talk to them. I share English episodes with them, and they send me Japanese ones every week. ^^; If there's a special that week, they send it to me, too. ^^;

Hanada Tattsu
26th June 2003, 12:45 AM
Oh, I see.

I should go on there sometime, thanks for letting me know about that!

DannyBoy
26th June 2003, 06:12 PM
Otaku Shigeru did you find out what happens in the battle yet?

Hanada Tattsu
26th June 2003, 06:50 PM
He's not online now, but when he comes back, he should have all the info, because the episode aired last night in Japan, so we should find out the next time that he is on, maybe even with a few screenshots!

Animelee
26th June 2003, 07:00 PM
It's being encoded, so I'll probably get it around 12 AM, around 2 MP Japan time. Then I'll watch it, and then make screenshots and write a mini-synopses. :)

DannyBoy
26th June 2003, 07:03 PM
OK, Thanks alot! I can not wait to find out if Treecko evolved or not and what other pokemon he used. Hopes he doesnt use pikachu!

Hanada Tattsu
26th June 2003, 07:09 PM
Okay, thanks!

We're waiting patiently until the right moment, lol.

Animelee
27th June 2003, 02:58 AM
Okay, Team Rocket falls into Brawly's cave from blasting off earlier in the last episode. Then, they go into his fridge, eat his food, get caught by Ash-tachi, and sent blasting off early, so they won't bother us later in the episode (like they did in Johto...-_-).

Okay, so the battle is on this big stone battlefield. There are geysers under it. Brawly and Ash reminesse about their last matches in their minds, and plan out strategies.

Ash VS Brawly. Each trainer is allowed to use up to two Pokemon. The challenger is allowed to replace Pokemon at any time. Ready? Go! By the way, the battle girl, Shinobu, is the referee.

Brawly sends out Machop. Ash sends out Treecko. Treecko and Machop keep jumping around the jagged rocks on the field, and they keep hitting eachother. Finally, Brawly tells Machop to use Focus Energy, and then Cross Chop. He does, but fails from the first attempt, and almost falls. Then, Treecko smacks him again. Finally, Machop succeeds a Cross Chop, and Ash gets scared and quickly recalls Treecko into his ball. When the laser hit the Pokemon, Ash got whiplash from the force. @_@

"Heigani, Kimi no kimeta!"

Ash chooses Corphish! With one Crabhammer, Machop is knocked out.

Brawly then chooses Hariyama, who uses Arm Thrust, but it's not effective, since Ash made Corphish use Harden. Then, Ash makes Corphish jump into the water and Dive. HAriyama then jumps onto a rock in the water and uses is as a platform. Corphish tried to sneak-attack on Hariyama, but Hariyama knocked his lights out.

Ash sends out Treecko again, because he remembers the last time where Treecko lost, and he wants revenge.

Ash tells Treecko to aim for Hariyama's weak point, his ankle. He does, and it turns red.

Ash and Brawly decide that they better settle this now, since fighting normally will get them no where. Each Pokemon stands on a ready-to-blow geyser, and they are then launched into the air. They then strike eachother Kenshin-style in the air, and then land on the ground. Silence. They stand there for a bit, and BAM!, Hariyama falls. Ash pauses, and then jumps up! "Yatta ze!"

They're now outside, and Brawly hands over the Knuckle Badge (that's the Japanese name, too). There's a sunset, and the narrator says how Ash is ready to leave Dewford Island.

> TO BE CONTINUED.

Jim Fuse
27th June 2003, 06:44 AM
Blah! Hariyama got put down in like one hit from that green thing!? that's BUNK!.

Hanada Tattsu
27th June 2003, 11:25 AM
Wow, thanks for the summary!

So, Ash used Corphish and Treecko, I kinda wished Treecko would evolve, but I guess not.

Thanks, sounds like quite the interesting battle.

Gravy
27th June 2003, 11:30 AM
I had a feeling that Harden would be used in the battle. Man, I hate saying the name of that move ^_^0
Machop was KO'd......quickly.
I knew Treecko would have its revenge in the end. That was inevitable. I still wish that Taillow could have battled at least. I always like the flying pokemon.:rolleyes:

Hanada Tattsu
27th June 2003, 11:39 AM
Ya, Taillow gets neglected again. But at least he used Corphish, that Pokemon is sure getting used a lot now.

Gravy
27th June 2003, 11:45 AM
lol, looks like Pika's got some competition.
I'm not complaining though. I like Corphish, his personality is great. I just wish Taillow wasn't cast to the side like Pidgeotto (of which was a most excellent flying type).
In the next episode it seems Corphish is used again to battle a Swampert. I wonder who will win:rolleyes:

Hanada Tattsu
28th June 2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Gravy
lol, looks like Pika's got some competition.
I'm not complaining though. I like Corphish, his personality is great. I just wish Taillow wasn't cast to the side like Pidgeotto (of which was a most excellent flying type).
In the next episode it seems Corphish is used again to battle a Swampert. I wonder who will win:rolleyes:

Corphish is being used a lot, just like Treecko has been used. The two are rivals though, lol, if you didn't know. Pikachu and Taillow have been cast aside.

Pidgeotto was never cast aside. Ash used it more than any of his other flyers, more than Noctowl and Taillow combined. It was the first Pokemon he had caught that he had kept through Kanto (except Pikachu, since Butterfree left).

DannyBoy
28th June 2003, 12:55 AM
Well if there is a battle between corphish and swampert, corphish has the upper hand since swampert is part ground. Go Corphish!

Hanada Tattsu
28th June 2003, 12:56 AM
Yeah, but in the games, when a water Pokemon uses any water attack against my current Marshtomp, it does not take away that much. The attack is not effective at all.

I think if Corphish could faint Brawly's Machop with one Crabhammer, it should be able to take care of a Swampert.

AKA Pokemon Fan
30th June 2003, 09:30 AM
I think if Corphish could faint Brawly's Machop with one Crabhammer, it should be able to take care of a Swampert.
Except that Machop is a first level evolution only a little bit bigger than Corphish while Swampert is a third level monster mudskipper the size of a sumo wrestler on steroids.

The picture isn't up anymore but from the looks of things the Swampert uses Iron Tail (odd for the anime as it barely has a tail, just a fin) or some other move that makes its tail fin glow.

Hanada Tattsu
30th June 2003, 01:20 PM
You obviously didn't see the episode where Machop made its appearence. That thing wouldn't go down. Even with ten Wing Attacks from a Taillow (which, according to Masato and even Brock) would be super-effective against fighting types, even against a "a first level evolution only a little bit bigger than Corphish".

AKA Pokemon Fan
1st July 2003, 10:30 AM
You obviously didn't see the episode where Machop made its appearence. That thing wouldn't go down. Even with ten Wing Attacks from a Taillow (which, according to Masato and even Brock) would be super-effective against fighting types, even against a "a first level evolution only a little bit bigger than Corphish".
Poor Taillow... how humiliating!:( Anyway, my point still stands that Swampert's size and power is bound to be a problem for Corphish, as it looks like it gets literally squashed by an Iron Tail, something Machop's size wouldn't allow it to do.

Hanada Tattsu
1st July 2003, 11:02 AM
Sorry, if I sounded rude there.

Anyways, I know. Ash has always had a pretty strong flyer on his team. Pidgeotto was a very strong Pokemon, but Noctowl and Taillow are pretty embaressing.

AKA Pokemon Fan
1st July 2003, 11:37 AM
Anyways, I know. Ash has always had a pretty strong flyer on his team. Pidgeotto was a very strong Pokemon, but Noctowl and Taillow are pretty embaressing.
Maybe its bad luck though? After all Noctowl's Confusion would have worked on Kingdra if it hadn't been able to counter it, and (in the Silver Conference) poor Noctowl has to go up against a Steelix, a Pokemon of a type resistant to all Noctowl's attacks and far larger.

Maybe Brawly's Machop was trained to resist some of its weaknesses? We've seen this with AJ's Sandshrew (resistant to Water) two Poliwrath's (resistant to Electric) and even Ash's Taillow (resistant to Electric). That would explain why Corphish could knock it out so easily.

Hanada Tattsu
1st July 2003, 01:19 PM
Well, I know about Ash making a terrible decision to use that tiny bird against that motherload of a Steelix.

Noctowl was never trained to its full potential, I hope to God that Ash realizes this when he is training his Taillow.

Gravy
1st July 2003, 01:31 PM
Its a nice thought Hanada, but it ain't gonna happen.
In the anime, a flying pokemon's sole purpose is to burst a balloon, or scout around some areas. And its not only Ash. Remember Trixie (had that tempermental Azumarril) and her Pidget, and remember Skarmory. Usually, a flting pokemon is subjected to little battling.

Maybe Brawly's Machop was trained to resist some of its weaknesses? We've seen this with AJ's Sandshrew (resistant to Water) two Poliwrath's (resistant to Electric) and even Ash's Taillow (resistant to Electric). That would explain why Corphish could knock it out so easily.

Well, Brawly did train it to keep its balance through surfing, and that did help Machop out during the battle, as it could recover from Taillow's ttacks quickly.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd July 2003, 11:11 AM
Taillow needs some more attacks. I kinda don't like Taillow, I would have preffered Ash to catch something like a Wingull, but if Taillow learned Steel Wing that would have helped...

Gravy
2nd July 2003, 12:25 PM
I thought you did like Taillow? Its face reminds me of King Dedede...erm....anyways, I'm actually quite surprised that the writers didn't have him catch a Wingull. After all, they are much more popular flying pokemon than Taillow it seems.
But I think Taillow was still a good choice. It does have a resistance to electricity, and thats special enough. That has made me think he'll use Taillow against Wattson.

Hanada Tattsu
2nd July 2003, 12:34 PM
Taillow? Wattson?

That actually sounds good, maybe that is when Taillow will evolve, but I doubt it.

AKA Pokemon Fan
3rd July 2003, 11:59 AM
Yeah, especially since even with some resitance to Electric all the attacks Taillow can learn will do zilch against Wattson's Magneton (assuming he does have one in the anime).

Hanada Tattsu
3rd July 2003, 12:11 PM
I think Wattson will have members of the Electrike family, maybe even a strong Manectric. Of course, I kinda want Ash to catch at least one new Pokemon on his way to Mauville, he does need something resistant to electric. 'Cause a Taillow resistant to electric attacks, a rebel Treecko, and a leader Pikachu can't beat Wattson easily. I hope Ash doesn't use Corphish in the battle if he has common sense.