PDA

View Full Version : Advance Wars 2

Razola
24th June 2003, 11:05 PM
Of all the GBA games I have bought, my favorite of them all has been Advance Wars. A good sized campaign with lots of goodies to unlock as well as an awesome multiplayer. I played that game to death, and I pulled it out a month ago and then played some more!

Now Advance Wars 2 hits the streets today, and I'm doing the same thing. Not much has been added (mostly due to the fact that, for reasons beyond my understanding, Japan never got Advance Wars 1) but seven new COs, one new unit, and a new building make up for the lack of innovation.

So far I haven't played too much, but here's my take on the COs I have played as:

Andy: With his CO power now just healing 2 HP, he's gotten even more worthless. The Super Power is nice, but I rarely have a large amount of units that need 5 HP.

Sami: All I can really say is DAMN. Her Super Power may take a while to charge, but you'll need the time to get access to the enemy base. Victory March is a game winner, either taking the HQ in one turn, or quickly gobbling up nearby enemy properties as you close in for the kill.

Max: Not much to say here. I don't store up his energy much, preferring to smash things now rather than later. Neotanks give the brute yet another powerful weapon, and when you have 10 of those with a full Power Bar, it's clobbering time.

Flak: I'm having problems seeing this guy's abilities. From what I gather he simply has a wide range of damag, either doing a lot or a little. I'm not a gambling man, so Flak is fairly useless to me.

Colin: My new favorite, I actually was thinking about potential new COs a year ago and one of them was a Blue Moon CO that was the "Anti-Kanbei". At first glance, he doesn't seem like much, but you have to realize that while he may be 20% weaker, he's getting medium tanks faster than anyone else. At 12,800 G Colin requires 3 less properties to get Medium Tanks. And with Neotanks costing only 17,600, Colin will spend the early game as the leader of the arms race. Speed is his game, and though he'll start getting clobbered as his opponent's catch up his Super Power can turn the extra cash he has into a big boost.

Good times are here.

Duo_Washu_III
25th June 2003, 01:14 AM
x-play said it'd be better than the last one with new upgrades and the battle would be better. yay

ILikePokemonP
25th June 2003, 06:55 AM
I haven't played number 1 but from what I've heard, number 2 will be better than the first. Comes out here on my birthday (July 10) so I might get it then. Yay for gameboy player :)

Kokomo
27th June 2003, 12:52 PM
I also loved the first one, but I'm to lazy to get out and get the second one. I've been playing the first one on and off through all the time that I have it and its definately one of my favorite games.

Kool Dudy
4th July 2003, 06:20 PM
I got the game too :).

AW2 is probably the top 10 gba games of all time. Most peeps like it because it involve strategy and thinking and it's not an easy game at all.

Who's your fav's CO?

Mine's prob. Colin cuz getting units ready is important.

Dark Scizor
4th July 2003, 06:29 PM
I got the ROM today, and i think that it is amazing, its alot more funner then the First one which got abit annoying, althoughh the earlier misions so far have been really easy ;o. I am currently freeing Yellow Comet of that Black hole scum, but they are being owned lol

As for all the new feature i think that the inroduction of the super powers was quite a good idea, as They are about 10 times better then the CO powers :yes:. The only pain in the arse thing would have to be that sometimes the mission is based on a limited day amount and this type of mission has appeared more often then in the first one so far imo. Although i did not like that about the campaign, it has improved as you are free to choose a wideish selection of missions instead of having to do one by one in a certain order, this allows abit more freedom to the playe :)

I think that Andys super power is great, it heals 5hp andgives an attack boost, what more do you want. I think the least amount ofchange has to goto Grit and Max who have only gained extra movement/range/power with theree abilities :confused: Although the improvement is minorGrit is now superrange with upto something like 8 squares range with his rockets which is amazing. I haven't come accross any of the Green Earth CO's yet, so i am still wondering what Jess is like and whether or not she will be any good since the guy at battle maps said that her Co power only re-supplies your troops which could be handy although it would also be useless as APC's could do the job:rolleyes:

Anyway i'll stop my jabbering and leave some of you people to play on this great game.

P.S. Colins super power is amazing especially when you have over 30 000g, i killed Md tanks with infantry XD

[b] [EDIT] Andy still owns all of you in my opinion:P But i still have to see other people like Eagle whos super power should be really good. (is Dreading sturms super ¬_¬)

Razola
5th July 2003, 12:22 AM
Eagle super power is just like his old CO power from Advance Wars 1. However, instead of his units getting weaker, they remain just as strong and his air units actually get a power BOOST. His first power just pumps his air units.

Sturm has no regular power, just his old metoer strike. It hurts, dealing 8 damage to a group of units and pumping up his own troops' power. Sturm is freaking cheese.

I like Andy's Super Power, but his normal is meh. Healing all units wasn't such a big deal for me in AW1 since I normally had 1-3 units damaged at a time. But with Drake, Olaf, Hawke, and Sturm hurting units, it may be useful.

Jess's powers up the damage of all vehicles by 20% and then 40% with her normal and super power. They get back all fuel and ammo and get either a +1 or +2 movement bonus. Not bad.

I had 130,000 G with Colin once and dealt 607% damage to a recon with a neotank. Pain city. I really love that power.