PDA

View Full Version : how come unobtainable pokemon dont show on pokedex?

A war in the po
20th December 2002, 07:57 PM
this is stupid. none of the pokemon that i got with gameshark can be seen on the pokedex. this better not be one of nintendo's stupid tricks... they already pissed me off with R/S. maybe the new gamecube game might unlock them

Scythemantis
20th December 2002, 08:04 PM
It's probably because you got them with codes.

A war in the po
20th December 2002, 08:29 PM
yeah but this wasnt the case with gold and silver

Topaz Pochena
20th December 2002, 08:47 PM
yea. they changed it so if yiu cheat to get pokemon it doesn't appear in the pokedex.

Kari and Mewtwo
21st December 2002, 01:30 PM
i hatched a chansey once through a code, but it didnt show chansey in the pokedex. just to be sure it wasnt the code, i used it again to hatch an alakazam, which showed in the pokedex. methinks the rbygsc pokemon are like missingno: you can catch them, but they wont appear in the pokedex.

mudkip007
21st December 2002, 01:56 PM
but alakazam is in r/s

Kari and Mewtwo
21st December 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by mudkip007
but alakazam is in r/s

thats why i tested the code with an obtainible pokemon. if alakazam didnt show up in the pokedex, then there is something wrong with the code. but since he did, its not the code.. its the fact that chansey is unobtainible

mudkip007
21st December 2002, 02:04 PM
oh ok, i see. sorry

Hyperworm
21st December 2002, 02:09 PM
Maybe it's to do with Dex order? Try using one of the other display modes? *shrug*

mudkip007
21st December 2002, 02:12 PM
Yea, because they put Pikachu in the new dex, he isn't number 25 anymore, Nidoran is, so they didn't want to confuse us or somehting. Just a thought

phantasmal
21st December 2002, 02:58 PM
Or maybe you need an Upgrade?

mudkip007
21st December 2002, 03:04 PM
but how would you get that? gamecube maybe

madeofsapphire
21st December 2002, 08:38 PM
A war in the po, you got Pokemon with gameshark? what are the codes? I can't find them anywhere.

mudkip007
21st December 2002, 10:08 PM
actually i think these are vba codes

Dark Soonano
22nd December 2002, 03:29 AM
Its because there is no true pokedex data for them, even when you hack pokemon and look at their stats, there's a number for them indicating where it comes up, but if you do it with the old pkmn they dont hold a true pokedex number. Just think of it as an idea towards new games, eliminating barriers like the ones between gold/silver/crystal and blue/red/yellow/green.

Hyperworm
22nd December 2002, 09:43 AM
Good theory, Dark Soonano... that's probably right. x.x

[edit: no, no it's not. go to filb.de. there's a pokédex entry for typhlosion (bakufuun) who's not catchable in RS. the entries DO exist.]

xvkarbear
22nd December 2002, 10:30 AM
There have got to be dex enteries for them.. if there isn't then that means you can probably never get them in the game by whatever means (trading, gamesube, whatever).. and not having the pokemon will make some people very pissed off (say the people who actually got mew from a nintento rep)..

The upgrade is very possible.. I suppose we shouldn't be making guesses untill there's some offical news announced..

A war in the po? Did you catch the pokemon in the wild or did they appear in the first box on bill's PC? If you didn't catch the pokemon.. then I don't think the game can go through the process of adding the info to the dex.. but then that doesn't explain why the eggs don't work..

It's all a mystery >/ but I'll be one ticked player if there isn't a way to get myself a starmie.

RocketScyther
22nd December 2002, 03:25 PM
Staryu CAN be caught in R/S.

Mew Trainer
22nd December 2002, 04:35 PM
First of all, you´re all talking about VBA codes, right?
Cuz I havenñt found any Gameshark code anywhere
Second, the code that you´re talking about is a code that creates a pokemon in the 1rst slot of the 1rst box of the PC, not to find them in the wild
I think the game doesnnñt take this as a real pokemon, because it has never "existed" (It appeared from nothing), thatñs why their pokedex entry does not appear. This has nothing to do with the numbers, because all the old pokes has new numbers (ex.: bulbasaur No.202)
I hope that somebody finds a real way to get them (with gameshark, gamecube, I don´t care)
By the way, some month ago I heard a rumor of a special version of gameshark made for Pokemon games, this including GBC, GBA, etc. Does anybody know something about this?

Jodmos
22nd December 2002, 05:39 PM
I've used the code in sapphire to catch a wild Bulbasaur and, while it gives the pokedex entry when you first catch it, it does not add an entry to your pokedex for later reference.

Hyperworm
22nd December 2002, 05:58 PM
In that case, it's probably just a special feature to inconvenience cheaters. Unobtainable Pokémon won't appear in the Pokédex until something tells the game that they can now legally be obtained (say, connecting with the 'Cube version [if it exists] for the first time).

Mewfour
21st August 2006, 12:06 AM
I had a who;e bunch of sharked Pokemon in my Ruby version, but then traded with a rental Emerald version, and magically they all appeared in the Pokedex.

Poryhedron
21st August 2006, 01:05 AM
I had a who;e bunch of sharked Pokemon in my Ruby version, but then traded with a rental Emerald version, and magically they all appeared in the Pokedex.
Wow, any special reason you felt the need to dig up an over-three-and-a-half-year-old post? Seriously, everything in this topic is outdated to the point of uselessness.
In order to see dex data for pokémon not normally obtainable in Hoenn, you need to upgrade the Pokédex to the "National Dex" which can hold data for all 386 species to date. You get the National Dex after becoming League Champ in Fire Red or Leaf Green (if you have high enough Dex completion in that game), and then from that point forward, any trades you make between that game and Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald will spread the National Dex to the Hoenn game.

Number1ChanseyFan
21st August 2006, 10:10 AM
Wow, any special reason you felt the need to dig up an over-three-and-a-half-year-old post?
[color=magenta]I am wondering that too... XD *closes*