PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Anime déjà-vu?

Crystalmaster Mike
21st December 2002, 10:48 AM
I've just been wondering: why do all these animes look so darn much alike? Not only in plot (catch-raise monsters, protect the world from evil), but also the drawings!! Is there only one cartoon drawer in all of Japan or something??? I mean: Ash, Tai, Ikki (Medabots),... they all look like the same recycling of a 10-to-12-year-old kid with hair which was gelled permanently on a bad-hair-day!!!

PlatinumHawke
21st December 2002, 02:48 PM
Looks I'm not the only one that's noticed this trend, and has decide to say something about it. Ever since pokemon debuted, the "collecable-catchable-battleable-insert object here" genre as I call it, has been seen to be the most profitable idea to dubbers. So what do they do? Leech off pokemon's success by dubbing over something that is similar (right even down to the character designs). Since '96, a great variety of anime has been aired in Japan, which include:

Card Captor Sakura
Ayashi no Ceres
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Noir
Cowboy Bebop*
Detective Conan
Slayers Next & Try
Gundam Wing*, X, Turn A & Seed
Inuyasha*
Love Hina
Chobits
Mahoromatic
Gravitation
Kanon
.hack//SIGN
The Legend of Black Heaven
Serial Experiments Lain
Shin Seiki Evangelion
Vandread
Hamtaro*
Escaflowne*
DiGi Charat
Initial D
Furi Kuri
Excel Saga
Shoujo Chikyuu Arujuna
Hand Maid May
Trigun

And kids, this is all the stuff that I've seen and can think of off the top of my head right now as I'm typing. There's alot I haven't seen, heard of, or just forgot to list. And those asterisks mark what's been aired on TV over here (and no, I did not make a mistake with CCS. With dubbing that bad, I consider Card Captor Sakura and Cardcaptors to be two entirely different series).

What's my point? If you're restricted to whatever is shown on the major american networks (whether it be choice or circumstance), then sadly, you are missing out on the broad scope of this artform. Go outside the normal areas to get anime. Live in a major city? Take a look in the phone book for the numbers of video and comic stores that rent/sell anime (St. John's, pop. 100, 000, has three stores devoted to anime and manga, and almost every major video chain has a few anime titles). Got broadband? Pop open any p2p software, and every fansub made is available, just as long as you don't mind a bit of reading. What if you can't do any of this? Last spring, after about 30 minutes of web-browsing, 24 dollars, and 3 weeks of waiting, I had my hands on 3 fansubbed VHS tapes of Initial D and Lupin. All it takes is a small bit of effort to get what you want.

RedStarWarrior
22nd December 2002, 11:37 PM
I feel that it is the similarity in the design of the characters that helps classify animés as true animés.....it is a style and a popular one at that. I guess that artists feel that it is the closest to looking real without being CGI or actual live footage....I don't know how to explain what I mean....but I like it so I am not complaining.

Roarkiller
24th December 2002, 12:22 AM
Many ppl define anime by 2 factors: their origin (Japan) and the style of drawing (mainly eyes).

Plot wise, yeah i agree. Its basically the same, get smthng and save the world or smthng like that. There aint many original plots. Fortunately, the few that r receive enough publicity, like Love Hina and Evangelion (its not pure mecha stuff u know). Btw, i highly recommend any of Ghibli movies. Damn, had to say that :P which includes Lupin.

Actually, u can get to watch any anime u want. There r tons of sites where u can trade anime videos with each others, and many more stores that sell them.

See the problem is like what PH sez. The anime dubbers juz look for animes that r successful and go for any other anime that resembles that anime, which explains why all the anime u watched looks more or less the same. The hardly go for the lesser known ones or those that have a different plot/story than the ones that r known to be successful becuz they think they might lose money.

Its always about mney, isnt it? Gotta hate this world. :no:

Mewtwo-D2
25th December 2002, 11:06 PM
But you can hardly consider what they did to poor Escaflowne the same series. It's nearly on par with that travesty CardCaptors. But I digress:

Yes, for adolescent boys, spiky hair seems to be extremely popular, and not just in kid shows. Other examples include:

1) Elk from Arc the Lad. This guy looks like he styles his hair with a weedwhacker and Brylcreem. But in just about every other way, this is a very above standard show.

2) Carrot Glace from Soceror Hunters. This is anything but a show to market collectibles, unless you're into S&M. But he sports the same spikes.

3) Farfello from Weiss Kruez. His hair's not very long, but you know if it was, Farfy's head would look like a cactus.

4) Sanosuke Sagara from Rurouni Kenshin. The infamous "rooster head". No more needs to be said

5) Vash the Stampede from Trigun. His hair sticks straight up, but it's not a kid's show.

I've got more... but I doubt anyone cares. The American companies want to find what sells over here... and since people over here tend to equate animation with children's entertainment, sure the scale is going to be a bit lopsided. But except for Trigun, and possibly someday Kenshin, those shows aren't going to be on TV. (considering Arc's awful dubbing job I pray that it's never on TV.)

youdontknowme
26th December 2002, 12:40 PM
well, there is that style of Japanese art. I dont know how it got to be the only type of style but that's probably the only way they draw (unless u want them to use that crappy way back then, old painting type style :rolleyes:)