PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Tactics?

Bob54321
4th July 2003, 10:32 AM
I'm trying to write a program that actually challanges the human opponent in a pokemon battle and have decided to start at RBY battles. The only problem is I'm not very good at RBY so I need some tatic advice. So far I have these general rules:

1) Switch pokemon if it is facing a type disadvantage - so far just considers pokemon type but I am slowly working in "expected moves" and moves observed during game play.

2) If your pokemon has low health and a recovery move use it.

3) If you have a status changing (PAR, SLP, PSN) move and the opponents pokemon has not status ailment use it.

4) If you have high health and stat increasers use them.

5) If one of your pokemons moves is more "effective" against the other pokemon use it - currently based on attack charts, not average damage done or .

6) If your pokemon has low health and a finishing move (Self Destruct, Explosion) use it.

3 and 4 are overridden in cases when another move could faint the opposing pokemon.

Any comments on these would be helpful. Also suggestions to what clauses should be used - so far I have the FRZ clause and Kamakaze clause. I am thinking about adding the sleep clause but I'm using Stadiums sleep formula so only 1-4 turns sleeping instead of 1-8, so I'm not sure if it is really necessary.

Finally - does the use of minimise double the effectiveness of stomp and similary with dig/earthquake as it does in GSC???

kg959
7th July 2003, 08:50 PM
The ones you've got are good.

I was thinking that you could have the computer consider the chance of a critical hit in moves with high critical hit averages and use let's say Slash over Take down because it has a chance of doing double damage.

You need the computer to only use moves that give you recoil damage when it is at high health.

The computer needs to know to use moves like explosion or selfdestruct if it cannot heal and is at low health.

The computer needs to figure about how much damage will be done by attacks that hit 2-5 times and use moves like comet punch over a move with a slightly higher power that only hits once.

You said the computer would use ability enhancing moves, but it needs to stop using them when they stop taking effect.

No matter how good you make the system, there is always a way to outsmart it. The computer could be at high health and keep raising its stats while the other player simply uses haze every few turns and whittle away at its HP and prepare for a Hyper Beam.

Finally, no, stomp does not double damage it the enemy is minimised, Thunder doesn't double damage against enemies who just used fly, and Earthquake doesn't double damage it the enemy used dig. The game just wasn't as complicated in RBY.

PM me when it's finished. I want to see how it turns out.

Bob54321
8th July 2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by kg959
The ones you've got are good.

I was thinking that you could have the computer consider the chance of a critical hit in moves with high critical hit averages and use let's say Slash over Take down because it has a chance of doing double damage.

I hadn't thought of this one - I was thinking of having the comp choose based on average damage it will do (so to choose more effective moves) so I think this will fit in there

You need the computer to only use moves that give you recoil damage when it is at high health.

The computer needs to know to use moves like explosion or selfdestruct if it cannot heal and is at low health.

The computer needs to figure about how much damage will be done by attacks that hit 2-5 times and use moves like comet punch over a move with a slightly higher power that only hits once.

You said the computer would use ability enhancing moves, but it needs to stop using them when they stop taking effect.

No matter how good you make the system, there is always a way to outsmart it. The computer could be at high health and keep raising its stats while the other player simply uses haze every few turns and whittle away at its HP and prepare for a Hyper Beam.

I'm working it out so the computer can build up a memory of what moves the other player has based on what they have used and adjust its stratergy slighty (at the moment only which pokemon it switches to but the Haze problem needs considered)

Finally, no, stomp does not double damage it the enemy is minimised, Thunder doesn't double damage against enemies who just used fly, and Earthquake doesn't double damage it the enemy used dig. The game just wasn't as complicated in RBY.

PM me when it's finished. I want to see how it turns out.

Any suggestions on the use of substitute so far it is only used in a sub-rest combination but I know it is used more often than this.
When are other times it is worth using a sub?

kg959
8th July 2003, 08:36 PM
Personally, I don't really use substitute. I find it to be fairly inefficiant.
The only time I think it would be useful is if you know that the enemy is preparing a one-hit-KO.
Example: A tangela that just keeps using growth and most likely has mega drain.
Mostly substitute is for pokemon who need to last just one extra turn probably to pull off a combo.