PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't Meowth prized by Giovanni?

Bacl
4th July 2003, 12:09 PM
As far as we know Meowth is the only Pokemon (with the possible exception of that Slowking in the second movie) to talk without using psychic telepathic powers. Not only can Meowth speak human, but he can translate what just about ANY pokemon says, and also talk directly to that Pokemon in Pokemon-talk.

Considering Meowth is a member of Team Rocket, and Giovanni is well aware of who Meowth is is what he can do, why doesn't Giovanni prize Meowth and keep him by his side?

Along these same lines, why aren't more people interested in getting their hands on Meowth? We occationally hear comments of "Did that Meowth just talk?" etc, etc, but for the most part people are not too interested in having anything to do with the only Pokemon capable of human talk.

Half the time most people don't even seem to react to Meowth when they meet him for the first time.

At the very least I would think Professor Oak would be interested in getting ahold of him.

The only people who have reacted in an appropriate way to my recolection are Tracey (who was really impressed with Meowth's ability to talk and wanted to get Meowth's voice on tape. Now there's a scientist!) and that Pokemon Teacher guy from "The Ultimate Test" who actually went so far as to throw a Pokeball at Meowth.

What would happen if you were to succesfully catch Meowth in a Pokeball? Would he actually obey you?

Hanada Tattsu
4th July 2003, 12:28 PM
Hmm, well, good topic.

I think Meowth at one time was prized by Giovanni, as we have seen. However, he stopped for two reasons: 1) he somehow got a Persian, and 2) after Meowth failed so much, he lost respect for it.

Well, Meowth probably wouldn't obey, because he technically does belong to J&J.

FlareonX
4th July 2003, 12:37 PM
I never understood why Team Rocket didn't use Meowth as a translator. I would assume that a ton of trainers would be willing to pay to understand what their pokemon are trying to say. They could have made a fortune by now.

Bacl
4th July 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Well, Meowth probably wouldn't obey, because he technically does belong to J&J.

If anything, I'd say it's more like Jessie and James belong to Meowth ;)

But everything I've seen suggests Meowth isn't owned by anyone and for all intents and purposes is "wild" (or at least not captured). Remember that way back in "The Problem With Paras" that J & J commented the girl mistakenly thought they were Meowth's trainers.

Meowth is considered an individual member of Team Rocket, not a Pokemon owned by Team Rocket members. I believe that when the other Rocket's checked the Team Rocket database during the red Gyrados saga that the grunt reported Jessie, James, and Meowth were all listed as members.

And when James bought Magikarp he spent Jessie and Meowth's paychecks on it, not just Jessie's. This means Meowth gets paid (or much more likely once got paid. i doubt any of them see any cash anymore) like any other TR member.

Hanada Tattsu
4th July 2003, 02:54 PM
Well, I see what you mean. So Meowth is techincally a seperate member of Team Rocket, who has no Pokemon, kind of like a Pokemon version of Masato, I suppose.

Real One Barunson
5th July 2003, 12:17 AM
Cos Meowth is ugly and Persian isn't '~'

*Murkrow
5th July 2003, 10:56 AM
Hm, the way I see it, is that although Giovanni wants rare Pokémon, he actually wants them to be useful as well. For example, in the Viridian gym battle episode, J&J actually got their hands on Togepi, showed it to him-he wasn't interested, even though Togepi is extremely rare(or so it seems, cos there has never been another one shown), cos it didn't seem to be able to do anything.(Am I remembering this right, I haven't seen that ep for ages)
Whatever, Meowth isn't a very strong Pokémon, so even if he could talk, Gio wouldn't want a Pokémon that couldn't pull it's worth in a fight. Or at least thats how I see it.

Bacl
5th July 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sneasel(h)Obsessive
Hm, the way I see it, is that although Giovanni wants rare Pokémon, he actually wants them to be useful as well. For example, in the Viridian gym battle episode, J&J actually got their hands on Togepi, showed it to him-he wasn't interested, even though Togepi is extremely rare(or so it seems, cos there has never been another one shown), cos it didn't seem to be able to do anything.(Am I remembering this right, I haven't seen that ep for ages)
Whatever, Meowth isn't a very strong Pokémon, so even if he could talk, Gio wouldn't want a Pokémon that couldn't pull it's worth in a fight. Or at least thats how I see it.

That's a good point. Giovanni had never seen a Togepi before. For all he knew it was one of a kind. But he wasn't especially excited. I guess he's not a collector.

I guess you could say that Giovanni is so dark hearted that he doesn't care about talking to Pokemon. They follow his orders and that's all he wants from them. He probobly figured if Meowth was going to be worth anything to him, it would be as a Team Rocket agent. Under different circumstances a Pokemon like Meowth could be quite the TR member.

As for Giovanni's dark heart, one scene from the Return of Mewtwo was when his Pursian tried to warn him that the bug Pokemon were comming. He told it to shut up. If he talks that way to his favorite, imagine what he thinks of the ones he keeps in cages in the basement.

homeofmew
5th July 2003, 07:50 PM
Giovanni HAD a meowth, but it evolved, the current Meowth With Jessie and james doesn't get any pokemon to him.

why do the bad guys always have cats?

Hanada Tattsu
5th July 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Virtual Reality
Giovanni HAD a meowth, but it evolved, the current Meowth With Jessie and james doesn't get any pokemon to him.

why do the bad guys always have cats?

Heh, that's pretty interesting, I wonder why?

Well, that's why Giovanni is so intent on getting Mewtwo. Mewtwo, of course, could speak and has likewise excellent and strong powers.

Kairu_Hakubi
5th July 2003, 11:05 PM
sometimes it seems to me like it isn't that hard for people to understand pokémon. it's like us with animals. i know exactly what my cat is saying to me, but not someone else's cat. similarly satoshi can understand his pikachu but not a random pii or nyarth. as such nyarth of rocket-dan isn't that useful, and i doubt sakaki cares even if he was. sakaki isnt interested in rare or powerful pokémon, but in those that will get him money or power himself. i don't know why he wants satoshi's pikachu or if he ever said he truly did. it could easily be musashi and kojiro's idea completely.

as for nyarth's status as a person, i believe he did what any pokémon can do. they are people inside, but live the life of animals, so that part is never awakened, then they are captured and they remain animalish. nyarth studied hard living among humans to awaken his personality, and is thus a full person and needs no trainer.

Hanada Tattsu
5th July 2003, 11:28 PM
Well, I'm sure Giovanni easily is told by J&J that they have a rare and unusual Pikachu to bring to him, so that's probably why.