PDA

View Full Version : Advance Generation Episode #33: A Rival for May! Tough Pokemon Contest!

Hanada Tattsu
4th July 2003, 12:40 PM
Advance Generation Episode #33: A Rival for May! Tough Pokemon Contest

Initial First Thoughts

Hmm, so the group has either reached or is bound for Slateport City, where May wants to enter her first Pokemon contest. She earns a rival in this episode, I think it's either Wally or Brendan or we can be wrong. Some sources say its Shuu, which has been revealed, so its not Wally or Brendan.

Screen by Screen Analysis of Episode Previews

First, we see the usual red-orange background of Groudon, followed by May starting to throw out a Pokeball, which eventually forms into May's Beautifly, which starts to use what looks like a Sleep Powder. Then we see Shuu, which is May's rival, start to say something. We then see May's Torchic, who is eating some purple food or something, possibly Berries. We then see May have a very dark look on her face, possibly at Torchic. We then see Jessie order her Dustox to use Silver Wind, and then we see Shuu order his Roselia to use Magical Leaf, and then we see May order her Beautifly to use a Silver Wind, followed by the usual blue-aqua background of Kyogre with the episode title.

Picture of the Week

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_ag/2_yokoku/img/033.jpg

Here's a picture of May ordering her Beautifly to use Silver Wind.

Final Thoughts

Well, May enrolls in her first contest, possibly a Beauty Contest. She's doing well with Beautifly, but with Roselia she has competition. Jessie and Dustox should do well as well.

Until next time!

Shakespeare
4th July 2003, 03:49 PM
I don't think May should win this contest. But she probably will. I would love to see Jessie or Shuu win so it gives May something to do which is to defeat them next time.

have a stammer
4th July 2003, 04:15 PM
The thing is if Misty was still around every one be hoping she should win. It seems May can do only wrong in some peoples eyes and should lose and fail in every endeavor. Sure May hasn't exactly trained for the contest but Misty probably wouldn't either.

But enough with that, On to the episode.

This episode looks OK, I like May so an episode focusing on her is always a plus.;) If the writers do it well it might be a great episode. Not to mention an episode with a greedy fat Torchic AND a Pokemon Contest, what's not to like?

To Me that doesn't look a thing like Wally. The character, who's name is Shuu, seems arrogant and very confident in his abilities. While Wally seemed kind, rather timid, and excited with the idea of being a trainer. There total opposites.

*Murkrow
5th July 2003, 10:40 AM
Hm, seeing as I can't be bothered, I'll just write what I put on SPP
:rolleyes:
This episode sounds quite interesting, Beautifly looks very cute in some of the pics I've seen, and May getting a rival could be an interesting focus point in later episodes.

Hanada Tattsu
5th July 2003, 11:50 PM
The fact of the matter is that a few episodes from now, there's another episode after a contest house. The next contest is in Verdanturf Town, so they wouldn't get there that soon.

Team Rocket's Lugia
6th July 2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
The fact of the matter is that a few episodes from now, there's another episode after a contest house. The next contest is in Verdanturf Town, so they wouldn't get there that soon.

This is non contest related.

Maybe we'll see Wally in Verdanturf maybe?

Gravy
6th July 2003, 07:21 AM
To be honest, I don't think this episode will feature an actual pokemon contest. Maybe a little 'practise' contest between Shuu and Haruka-chan, but thats all. I suspect that this episode will revolve around berries and pokeblocks, and how they enhance a pokemon's contest stats.
Not to mention theres an episode not long from now entitled something like 'Haruka! The first pokemon contest!'

Anyways, this episode is bound to be good, seeing as the main focus is on Haruka-chan :rolleyes:
Roselia is a cheap Bellosom rip-off, but I prefer it anyways.:yes:

Hanada Tattsu
6th July 2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Lugia of LI
This is non contest related.

Maybe we'll see Wally in Verdanturf maybe?

Maybe, though I was hoping we see him sooner. Of course, we won't see him sooner if Ash-tachi decide to take the Desert Route 111 instead of Route 118 to Verdanturf and back.

DannyBoy
6th July 2003, 07:41 PM
Well since the next one is far away like everyone is saying I think that she loses and then she trains a little and then goes backs and wins it. I think they will treat contests like gym battles. May will keep going till she wins.

Hanada Tattsu
7th July 2003, 05:11 PM
Probably, however, she might win this one, and then probably just go to the same contest house but then challenge a different contest.

DannyBoy
7th July 2003, 09:14 PM
I am having a feeling the contest type its going to be is a smart contest because I know Dustox has a lot of smart moves and I am not to sure with Beautiflys moves. But if she does stay and does another one what is she going to use Torchic? She doesn not have that many pokemon to choose from. Ash could just go into his PC and pick a variety so she must lose.

Gravy
8th July 2003, 04:07 AM
Call me crazy, but I was thinking maybe there won't be any specific contest type in the anime. Perhaps they have to do it in rounds eg. First round: Beauty, Second round: Cute, Third round: Smart....and so on.
Or, theres a single type of contest at each Contest House eg. Slateport would be cute, Verdanturf would be smart etc.

Mikey
8th July 2003, 09:51 AM
It's already been confirmed that a contest will not take place in this episode. This one only features training May is doing for the contest.

In the spoiler video clip, Torchic is actually playing in the mud. WHen May sees this, that is why she has the angry face. A Pokemom covered in mud can't win a contest.

Also, May wants to compete in beauty contests as of now. So this episode will probably only feature a Beauty one.

Hanada Tattsu
8th July 2003, 11:51 AM
That's good news. Hopefully, she'll lose all the beauty contests, but Misty will win them all. GO MISTY! *waves Misty flag*

Your turn, Gravy. ;)

I think May was angry at Torchic because it ate all the Pokeblocks while it was only supposed to eat two, that's what I heard.

Mikey
8th July 2003, 12:00 PM
Hmm, the pokeblock thing could be right, guess we'll have to wait for my guide.

Gravy
8th July 2003, 03:08 PM
That's good news. Hopefully, she'll lose all the beauty contests, but Misty will win them all. GO MISTY! *waves Misty flag*

Your turn, Gravy. ;)

Here we go again :rolleyes:
*Waves Haruka flag*
Ha! I knew there wouldn't be a contest. Just look back about 9 posts and you'll see ^_^
lol, enough bragging though. I dunno if I'll like this episode or not. The concept of Pokeblocks bores me, but at least we get to see Dustox.

Hanada Tattsu
9th July 2003, 01:19 AM
Waving flags? That's all you've got? *starts laughing uncontrollably*

We also see two attacks that we haven't really seen a lot before; Beautifly and Dustox both use Silver Wind in this episode, something that should make May and Jessie overjoyed since that attack is what them want a member of the Wurmple family in the first place. Also, Roselia uses Magical Leaf, which is something we haven't seen before.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
9th July 2003, 04:24 AM
According to TVTOOKYOO, the rival's name IS Shuu. The episode seems to feature also another character, Hanabishi. We shall see the English names later if they are not in the game already:

A Rival For Haruka! Special Training for Pokémon Contest!

Haruka, who has just come up in Kaina City, has began a special training along with her [Butterfly Pokémon] Aagehanto, aiming immediately at an overall victory in the Pokémon Contest. In the midst of the special training, she meets a boy called Shuu, the Pokémon Cordinator, who similarly aims at an overall victory in the contest.

With a rival heart burning for Shuu, Haruka has started an intense practice with Satoshi and others. Hanabishi, the firework artisan, who has been looking at it, tells Haruka where they have [True Bree] which you feed on Pokémon and which becomes an advantage in the contest. To share 'the true', Haruka and others head for that warehouse, but there is nothing but the figure of Achamo, who has eaten all the [True Bree]...

Knowing that Hanabishi needs [True Bree] as ingredients or something for the Pokémon fireworks this evening, Haruka and friends, feeling that it is their duty, run to a forest in order to find 'the true', but...

Achamo is Torchic. Now I would have one dumb question: Burii No Jitsu, in my translation True Bree, shortened form jitsu, i.e. 'the true'? Is it something from the games?

DannyBoy
9th July 2003, 12:37 PM
It is prob a fancy word for pokeblocks or berries for it. Cause it mentions TOrchic eating berries/pokeblocks and May getting mad at it.

RyuukoAremi
9th July 2003, 07:42 PM
In the game, there was this guy on Kaina beach that gave you something if you defeated every trainer on the beach. Maybe this guy is Hanabishi?

Hanada Tattsu
9th July 2003, 11:04 PM
In the game, in the Seashore House on Route 109, if you defeat every trainer in the Seashore House, he gives you half a 12 pack of Soda Pop. He is definately Hanabishi.

Thanks!

Pewter City Geodude
10th July 2003, 08:23 PM
First, we see the usual red-orange background of Groudon, followed by May starting to throw out a Pokeball, which eventually forms into May's Beautifly, which starts to use what looks like a Sleep Powder.

That would've been Stun Spore, since that's the only spore/powder attack Beautifly ever learns. Other than that, the episode sounds good though. May looks cute in that pic, seen it on a couple sites already. :)

Gravy
11th July 2003, 06:55 AM
Waving flags? That's all you've got? *starts laughing uncontrollably*
Well sorry, but I wasn't in an enthusiastic mood:rolleyes:
So by the looks of it, this Hanabishi guy owns the warehouse containing the pokeblocks / berries then. lol, makes sense when you think about it.

Hanada Tattsu
12th July 2003, 10:04 PM
Heh. Hanabishi is probably not a very major character, but I'm sure the guide will be coming up soon, so we'll soon find out.