PDA

View Full Version : Larry the Leader

Cyndaquil7
4th July 2003, 01:00 PM
Okie, this is kinda like my first real fic, so it probably really stinks. But, before you leave this because you think its a trainer fic, well its sorta a trainer fic. It's probably going to be a set of three books(if people like it) and will show about a kid named Larry and his quest to become a Gym Leader. So now have fun and enjoy.

Larry the Leader

Introduction

“Come on Bagon, quit playing around, I need you to set me a fire to cook dinner.”
The little cute dragon waddled over and let out little Embers of flames that lit the scattered pieces of wood. Then, the boy with dirty blond hair and busted jeans put on some stew.

His name was Larry, and his family owned one of the biggest farms in the world. They used their pokemon to help run the farm. Larry was especially fond of Bagon, which was used to cook the food for the farm.

Every night after Larry’s work was done he would work with Bagon teaching him strategies for when there was finally a tournament to be what he wanted to be the most, a gym leader of the pokemon world.

“Larry, is the stew done?” Larry’s mother yelled.
“In a few seconds mom!” Larry replied.

Every night Larry wrote on about what kind of life he would have. He imagined having a gym where he had his own pokemon park with many pokemon, in which he could let new trainers use. But, he realized that would never happen since his parents only had 5 pokemon on the farm. They used Miltank, Spheal, Heracross, Aron, and of course Bagon.

Usually Larry would wish he would get injured so he didn’t have to work the farm, but this year was very different. Every year the local pokemon league called Yahto accepted three trainers to be three different things. First place got the honor of being a brand new Gym Leader until the eight spots were filled, but this year was the last spot or else you’d have to go through the days of being a Gym Trainer and then you’d go into the Gym Trainer tournament to see who’s the best to have to gym.

It was coming up now and every day when the paper came Larry eagerly looked. But everyday it was not on the front cover, or inside the many pages of the news. Besides, it was a very long ways to where the tournament was held and Larry only knew one person who would want to go with him, Jared, but he had not a single pokemon.

Jared was a fellow friend and student with Larry at the three-month Pokemon School held by the nearest Pokemon Professor, Professor John A. Maple. There they learned about each and every Pokemon, and about the Yahto League. The sad thing was the last two days were now here of School.

“Larry, are you dazing off again? Feed the pokemon some stew and get your fill. You’ve worked hard today son and you’ll need your rest to put your all into the last days of School. Then, you’ll be back here helping me, I can’t wait to take some work off my hands.” Larry’s Father Henry happily said.

“Daad, but what if Maple reports that the tournament will be coming up, you know that I’ve always wanted to go.”

“Son, you know I’d love to see you go there, but we are one of the top farms in the world, and need your help to run it, along with Bagon’s. If you would you’d have to send us some returning pokemon if your going to make your livin’ off of them, then we can be even better and have the requested items in minutes.” Henry replied.

“So, if I’d give you some of the useful pokemon I’d catch I can go?!” Larry asked ready to scream in happiness.

“Not really, I mean to get them to us you’d have to walk all the way back here.”

Larry just thought and thought about how he could get the pokemon from him to his hometown of Strawberry Town. He even dreamed about ways that night on how he could do it. Then, once he walked into class the next morning his realized something, there was a living Professor lived in his own very town.

After the day of school finished Larry sat in his desk after they were dismissed and asked Maple about transferring pokemon to from places to here.

“Well, my lab behind these doors would be able to transfer pokemon from pokemon centers and specially built machines to here, and then I can let my newly evolved Pidgeotto deliver the pokeballs to your house.”

“ Thanks a bunch Professor.”

Larry walked over to Jared’s house for his 13th birthday. The whole town was invited and Jared was just getting ready for presents and cake when Larry rushed being a bit late.

“Larry, why didn’t you walk with me here after School?”
“Sorry, I had to ask Maple something very important.”

Jared just waved his arm and led Larry to the long table setup with four presents, a bit low for his family, but he suspected they were very good. The first one pretty large with pokeball wrapping paper on it was already half opened by Jared until he pulled it out showing a Backpack fit for a Pokemon Trainer. It had a big pouch for clothes, a slot of pokeballs, a slot for items, and even a slot for food and money.

“Wow a Trainer Deluxe Backpack thanks Aunt Marge!”

The next one was from Maple, and Jared already suspected what it was, a pokemon. He opened up the package only to be disappointed for it was “The Guide to Yahto”. After he’d seen it he wasn’t surprised since the book was written by Maple himself.
“Uhh, thanks Professor I needed this.

Next was from Larry’s family. Larry had no idea what his parents had bought him, but he knew it would most likely be the clothes Jared wanted. He slit right through the paper and then was so anxious cut his finger on the box. He opened up the box to find a white sleeveless T-shirt with a Blue Vest. Also, there were swishy shorts, which was Jared’s personal favorite.

“Thanks Mr. and Mrs. Feller. I love it.”

Finally, it was Jared’s own family that had the fourth and final present for him. He kept thinking about a pokemon, but what if it was a Weedle or Caterpie or something, then that would almost be painful to go on a journey with. He opened up the package and there it was a pokeball. He grasped the pokeball and stepped out of his chair and into open space. He walked forward and stepped outside with a crowd of people following behind him. He pulled his arm back holding the pokeball extra tight and then threw it across the grass saying the words

“Pokeball, Go!”

---------------

Please remember its a little short but its an introduction. Please give me any tips or suggestions you might have that I'm not doing so good.

Dragon_Claw
4th July 2003, 03:07 PM
Cliffhanger, impressive, and that in the first chapter as well. I like how the plot is going, I am very anxious to find out what Pokémon it is. Please post your next chapter, I'll be reading this fic.

So making a long story short: Good work, continue, is this your first fic?

Edit: One thing, I guess you're gonna make your first Pokémon a Cyndaquil, by looking at your name. I recommand: don't do that, or anything else too overused. I know I did this in my fic, but I'm changing all that soon, very soon. Just a big piece of advice

Cyndaquil7
4th July 2003, 03:30 PM
Dragon Master: Well, I wrote one called the Forgotten Trainer, but that got nowhere, so I'd probably call this my first fic. I'm about 3/4 done with the next chapter probably be up sunday.

Trust me it is not Cyndaquil, I'm trying to make it something I can have work with easier :). I have been majorly changing which pokemon it is, but now I have decided and I'm hoping you all will like my choice ^_^.

Thanks for my first reply to a fic ever, I'd wait for more, but I'm just so happy ^_^!

mistysakura
4th July 2003, 10:22 PM
Agreed; this is a good first try! It seems as if you've learnt a lo from reading the fics around here. A cliffhanger after the first chapter, along with not-so-familiar settings... i'm quite impressed. For a trainer fic (yes, you guessed ti, I don't like trainer fics), this is not bad at all.

I liked how Larry doesn't have the dream of being a Pokemon Master; unique. However (if you don't see this word in my posts, it means you're an absolutely brilliant writer, so don't worry), a bit more description could help, especially with emotions. But then, that can come with character development, which builds over the chaptes, so it isn't that much of a problem.

Good work, and keep it up!

Cyndaquil7
6th July 2003, 10:52 AM
Misty: Wow thanks for the praise. In the next chapter I'm got some emotion, and much more detail. After I looked at other fics I believe from now on previews will be in order :).

Chapter out tonight maybe.

Cyndaquil7
6th July 2003, 05:18 PM
Chapter 1: Standing on Thin Ice

“Oh my gosh, its so cute mom, I love him! Come over here Spheal.” Jared said in such big excitement he was ready to wet his pants.

“Spheal, Speahl” Spheal sounded in happiness.

After he finally got the pokemon he always wanted, Larry and Jared played with him for a long time, since all of the parents were discussing with Maple about the new Pokemon Leagues opening up and what it means for them all.

“Our world is based around pokemon, and we need to involve kids in taking this stepping journey to raise our research, and interest’s in what pokemon are capable of. I just received notice from the Owner of the Yahto League, and he has informed me that this year is going to be quite different. Since he wants good trainers he is required that your children beat the current seven. This will not mean your kids have to be awesome trainers, but just need to work a bit harder.” Maple stated reading from a nicely printed letter with Pokeball’s all over it.

Finally, all the parents took their children so they would be prepared for the last day of School. Larry of course had to work for an hour before he and Bagon slept.

When Larry woke up he amazingly found his parents standing over him, his mom holding the Deluxe Trainer Backpack, and his Dad holding Money, clothes, food, and pokeballs. Then sitting softly on his nightshirt stood a closed Pokeball, obviously with a pokemon on it.

“But..”
“ No Larry, this is what’s best for you.” His father interrupted.

Larry started to cry, crying tears of joy. He realized what was happening, his parents were to let him go on a pokemon journey with Jared.

“Don’t cry son, the professor said he can teach your father how to install a phone booth so you can talk to us face to face on the screen. Now get to school, and be sure to come back before you head out.”

Larry took the nice stuff from his parents and released Bagon from his brand new pokeball to get him some good deserved exercise. Bagon just waddled next to Larry as he met up with Jared and his newly received Spheal.

“My parents told me all about our journey, I think it’s best if we set off for Ice Cave first and go through there, maybe we can catch some pokemon in there.” Jared stated.

Bagon and Spheal already seemed like the best of friends running around with each other, playing around, and rolling on top of each other. Both pokemon and trainers walked in to school to be happily greeted by Maple and the rest of their classmates and their pokemon.

“Class sit down I have urgent news that I have already discussed with your parents, but I figure you will all be interested. This year the tournament to become a Gym Leader or Gym Trainer has been changed. You must now defeat the current seven gyms. Since these gyms are usually very tough, but since they were early trainers they will not be so hard for the current age of pokemon. Most of you will make it onto the tournament, where you will hopefully all show up to see friendly faces. You must come and register yourself as a trainer in alphabetical order now.”

Then Maple called out the names of the current children who were going on the journey.

“Larry Feller.” He called. Larry quickly jumped out of his seat and brought forth his Pokedex and Bagon to register that Bagon is his.

“Congratulations Larry, you’ve been entered.”

After the registration took place they all had to look through the map where Maple showed them key points on the two different routes you can take to get through the gyms. Most of them were ready to slouch over and fall asleep, everyone except Jared. He was so interested in one path which was longer then the others because you passed through River City, a city dedicated to water and ice pokemon.

“Now I will close now from until we meet again when you all return home, please return to your homes before leaving this lovely afternoon. I hope you all make it through Ice Cave and into the forest before night falls. If you happen to not Nurse Joy has kindly offered to let you all stay there for the night. As will the others if you go without a bed to sleep on. Good luck all and stay safe.” Maple said proudly.

Everyone got up and rushed home. Jared walked to Larry’s house since his parents were getting some food stocked up from Larry’s family farm.

“Look there, the kids.” Larry’s Mom said happily.

“We don’t want to keep you boys waiting, because we don’t want you to freeze in the Ice Cave, so try your best to make it into the forest. All we wanted to say was..”

“We’ll miss you!” They all said happily.

Jared and Larry just lipped the words “Bye” without showing that they were crying. They just walked away with their backpacks, pokemon, and items.

“I wish I said goodbye for real now, I’m kind of feeling bad that I really didn’t say it out loud.” Jared whined.

Larry just acted confused and walked on until they were greeted by Maple who was saying goodbye to children as they entered the caves.

“Goodbye Larry and Jared. Make us proud.” Maple said.
“Goodbye Maple, thanks for teaching us all that stuff.” They both replied.

When they first walked in they could see their reflections in all of the little pieces of ice. There were many little slits in the pieces that they walked on, while there were icicles above that looked like they would fall down on top of them. They walked on into a fork where in the center they saw a legend, a frozen Dratini. Jared’s eyes turned into sparkles, he had always dreamed of getting a Dratini. Though it seemed a dream that he would catch one only after a few footsteps. He pulled out Spheal’s pokeball and ran quickly towards the block of ice.

Then, two trainers quickly ran in front of them. Larry and Jared quickly recognized it as Dustin and Anthony, the two power hungry trainers of their class. Anthony was just a sidekick, but Dustin was the real deal.

“Battle us for it then, tag team style.” Larry announced.
“Fine we accept!” Dustin and Anthony both replied.

“Go Spheal.” Jared yelled.
“Go Bagon.” Larry shouted releasing his little friend.
“Lets go Magby.” Dustin dully said releasing a tough looking little flaming guy.
“Oddish lets rock.” Anthony ordered.

The four pokemon just stood in the ice watching Magby melt his down a bit. All these pokemon were having their first battles except for Magby. Then the orders began rolling in.

“Spheal we’re taking down Oddish first, give it a Powder Snow!” Spheal released little flakes of snow, which were even bigger due to being in a cold environment. They rushed quickly towards Oddish. It rushed through it leaving little pieces of frozen snow that irritated Oddish majorly.

“Magby, this little dragon guy is so ours. Show it what an Ember attack looks like.” Suddenly, little flames came popping out of Magby’s mouth. They hit Bagon dead on, but didn’t seem to affect him that much.

“Hah, nice try Dustin, but Bagon is pretty used to fire. I wouldn’t suspect your Magby is as used to water though, is it? Bagon give it a nicely bred on Hydro Pump.”

Bagon pumped out a huge amount of water, which was amazingly big for such a tiny little guy just around half a meter. It splattered on impact with Magby, which gave a hard cry since it totally hates water.

“No Magby, hang on buddy, don’t fall so quick. My gosh Anthony help me out here.”

“Oddish Razor Lea..”
“Spheal use Water Gun on Magby and finish it off.”

Anthony could barely finish his first attack before Spheal was on its second spraying Water Gun on the already drained Magby. It pulled Magby down to the ground, but Oddish was still in top condition. It still understood Anthony and use Razor Leaf heading straight for Spheal who had just finished the Water Gun.

They were about to slash when Bagon jumped in front of Spheal and used its Ember attack. The leaves crisped themselves straight down to the ground.

“Now that’s teamwork!” Jared said happily.
“We still haven’t won this one yet though, but I think I can finish off Oddish if you can give Magby something good to finish him off. Then, you can work on digging Dratini out of that ice and get it in a pokeball. It will need care soon” Larry stated.

“Got it. Okay Spheal lets finish this guy off. Use a full-powered Water Gun.”
“Bagon, lets help out, give it a Dragonbreath!”
“Oddish give it a Razor Leaf!”
“Use Flamethrower Magby and lets contribute into this!”

There came four attacks water gun, dragonbreath, razor leaf, and flamethrower. It all met into the middle just to form an enormous explosion. And as the smoke clears we find that…

---------------
Meh, I am trying to learn some good techniques on how to make battle's cleaner, because myself thinks mine's is pretty cluttered. If anyone has battling tips please tell me ;_;, this chapter could have been so much more enjoyable if I had decent battle style writing.

Now about Dratini I'm still deciding if later a Dragonite vs Salamence battle would be cool, but don't think he might be catching it, cause I deciding if I like it still ^_^.

Enjoy :).

mistysakura
7th July 2003, 03:08 AM
He'd better not be catching such a rare Pokemon on the day he sets out, becuase you'll have quite a few people after you! Seriously, how often does an unexperienced kid just see this Dratini in the middle of nowhere and manage to catch it?

It was quite a good battle, actually. I mean, it is a lot better than your average first battle in a first fic (okay, I'll drop the 'newbie' way of thought next time.) I don't know how you could improve though, I have never written a single Pokemon trainer battle.

Now, my only question, since I'm extremely behind the times, is: what on earth is a Spheal?

Dragon_Claw
7th July 2003, 05:02 AM
mistysakura: http://pokemasters.net/images/games/ruby_sapphire/rs173.png

Cyndaquil7: I have to say, i'm shocked. Beginning with a Bagon, I saw that one coming. Then finding a Dratini. He didn't do anything yet, this is so uncool. This is like one fic I saw, where the trainer begins with Charmander, and he catches a Dratini and Larvitar in the first Chapter.

Drago
7th July 2003, 05:58 AM
Well, I like it! Promising offset, nice casual style, and the inclusion of Bagon. That's a great little Pokemon, I hope it doesn't evolve. >.<
I also see big things for this Anthony fellow. I mean, he's a sidekick, and yet his Oddish is still full of pep when compared to Magby. I like Anthony. Hehe...

I must say though, I also hope that Dratini isn't added. A Bagon is good enough, we don't want to go overboard...
Then again, from what's happened thus far, I'm sure you'll surprise us. It'd be cool if Jared and Larry lost and Dustin ended up taking the Dratini. Mwhahahaha....

Not to mention, I like the battle. I mean, they fought realistically, focussing on repeating the effective tactic on the weakening Magby, then focussing on Oddish as soon as it became the direct threat. Lovely. :)

Here's to hoping the next chapter comes soon, and that Bagon continues to rock. Well, Spheal's good too, but you can't go past Bagon!! :D:D

Cyndaquil7
7th July 2003, 06:59 AM
w00t bunches of people :).

Note to All: I never said he was going to catch it, I made an explosion for a reason :P.

Mistysakura: Thanks for the support :). And yes I thought A Spheal looked so damn cute so I just made his pokemon that ^_^.

Dragon Claw: Like I said he might catch it, but you'll find out what is wrong next chapter, its gonna be a good one ^_^.

DragoKnight: New reader? Happy to have you. Yeah I thought Bagon would be a cool pokemon too ^_^. Except I really don't like his middle evolve. Thanks for all the comments :).

Thanks readers and don't worry about Dratini, its my way to introuduce things and people. Chapter up maybe Wed-Thurs?