PDA

View Full Version : A Pokemon in Super Mario Bros 2?????

Mister Mew
9th November 2002, 01:25 PM
Have you ever wondered what those little creatures we now refer to as Pokemon did before they became pokemon? Well, I think I can help answer this question for at least one of the pokes.

I don't know if any of you have played the Nintendo classic, Super Mario Bros 2 lately, but last night, out of sheer bordem, I pulled out my Super Mario All-Stars game and slipped it into my SNES.

After a few moments of hard-thought decision making, I decided to play Mario 2, my personal favorite from the NES era. Anyway, I played through the first level and used that 'secret' little warp in 1-3 (the first four levels are boring :-\). I worked through level four and beat up on Fryguy, my personal favorite platform game boss of all time (tied only by Naval Pirana(sp) and Raplh the Raven who were both from Yoshi's Island) and moved on to level 5. A made my way to area 5-2, an annoying little level where there birds fly by dropping bomb-ombs on your head (grrrr) when I suddenly got the urge to...ummm...answer the call of nature. So, anyways, I pause the game and go do my business. When I come back, I notice on of the bomb-omb dropping birds happens to be on the screen. I don't pay it much mind at firat, but then I took a second look and, low and behold, that little bird like exactly like Spearow. Needless to say, I was like 'wow, I never noticed that before...I wonder who the folks at TPM would think about this?' And, thus, Im here posting this.

This is only the beginning. I plan to start the 'Great Pokemon Watch' so we all can post pokemon sightings in non-pokemon related games. This should give us all a dumb reason to go play all of our old games.

youdontknowme
9th November 2002, 02:06 PM
:o whow, weird. Never woulda guessed. lol. a spearow dropping bomb-ombs on ur head to kill u. lol

MAGIKRAP
9th November 2002, 03:33 PM
don't you mean fearow?
I think its called an albatoss.
ridiculous name.

vegetrunks
16th November 2002, 03:24 PM
Now that you mention it. Those things do look like fearows don't they (assuming this is what you meant).

Heres another one. SM64, Hazy maze cave level. Down at the very bottom level, lo and behold, its Lapras. Well it doesn't really look like Lapras but it has four fins, a long neck and lives in the water so I like to call it Lapras.

Starry Might
20th November 2002, 07:38 PM
This is only the beginning. I plan to start the 'Great Pokemon Watch' so we all can post pokemon sightings in non-pokemon related games. This should give us all a dumb reason to go play all of our old games.

Here's one for you: I have a copy of "PSM: PlayStation 2 Magazine", the December 2000 issue (no, I don't have a PlayStation 2, in case you're wondering...), and it has a preview of "Soul Reaver 2" in it (page 100). There's a screenshot captioned "Many puzzles, such as deactivating this 'evil eye,' will require the use of a certain type of Soul Reaver. This adds a brand-new element to the game's many puzzles." Well, the "evil eye" looks an awful lot like Starmie! Not 100% the same, but pretty darn close!

*CUE "TWILIGHT ZONE" THEME SONG*

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
21st November 2002, 03:57 AM
Magikrap is right, the critters you're referring to are called Albatoss and when you looke at artwork from them you'll see that they don't look much like Fearows. In the game they resemble them a bit but not that much either in my opinion. Their coloring is somewhat the same.

ultimate zapdos
16th December 2003, 03:04 PM
blastiose looks kinda like bowser

Razola
16th December 2003, 05:04 PM
SMB2 and Super Mario All-Stars both come before pokemon, so it's merely coincidence. Though that may be where some inspiration came from...

PNT510
16th December 2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Raz
SMB2 and Super Mario All-Stars both come before pokemon, so it's merely coincidence. Though that may be where some inspiration came from...

I think they know that. It's just fun to try and make connections between the games.

Pewter City Geodude
30th December 2003, 02:25 AM
Super Mario Sunshine. Bianco Hills. The water bugs. Don't they remind you of Surskit? And Petey Pirahna = a Cradily using Sludge Bomb?

:D