PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Metagame changes..

Solution
15th July 2003, 10:13 PM
Well, maybe its just me, but I've noticed that alot of things have been changing around somewhat on the PBS. It's not a whole new metagame, but I would like you people to share your opinions.

Gengar. Sweet stats. 358 special, and 318 speed. Not to mention immunity to the most common type. IMO, gengar is a beast. It also gets access to some of the best moves - confuse ray, explosion, etc. I've noticed that gengar has changed things around a bit. The first observation is that it makes persian, venusaur, and victreebel switch. Venusaur and victreebel can't touch it with there normal attacks, and gengar is resistant to ground. Gengar is immune to persian's slash and hyperbeam attacks. With 358 special, bubblebeam doesn't touch gengar.

Gengar also forced the standard lax set to change as of recently. Surf is now very, very stupid to use on snorlax with all of the gengar's running around. It's been dropped for earthquake. This effectively means that golem can actually take down snorlax now(I'm pretty sure its a 3HKO on both sides, correct me if I'm wrong, and additionally, golem is faster).

Tauros now has to have earthquake. I know that everyone has been using 'slam, quake, beam, blizzard forever now, but I tried out a substitute, rest, and thunder tauros. Everything there worked perfect, but with gengar around, earthquake was a most.

Gengar actually shuffled the game around a little bit, if any of you have noticed.

Counter. This is probably what made the biggest effect on the metagame IMO. Although there haven't been many moveset changes besides fishlax to quakelax, counter is just quite evil on chansey, because an earthquake from snorlax or tauros doesn't harm chansey too much. I like counterlax too, thats even more evil. After tauros takes a bodyslam from snorlax, snorlax uses counter next turn and OHKO's tauros. Ownage.

So uh yeah, please reply. Just say what you think of counter, gengar, and etc. Also, resting eggy hasn't been used in years, and I actually think that it is superior to explosion eggy. I currently like psychic, stunspore, sleep powder, and rest, but thats just me. It lets me parylize there whole team, and PP wastes psychics from other alakazams like no other(or seismic tosses). Has anyone else tried a resting eggy and had good success with it?

Charizard04621
15th July 2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Solution
Well, maybe its just me, but I've noticed that alot of things have been changing around somewhat on the PBS. It's not a whole new metagame, but I would like you people to share your opinions.

Gengar. Sweet stats. 358 special, and 318 speed. Not to mention immunity to the most common type. IMO, gengar is a beast. It also gets access to some of the best moves - confuse ray, explosion, etc. I've noticed that gengar has changed things around a bit. The first observation is that it makes persian, venusaur, and victreebel switch. Venusaur and victreebel can't touch it with there normal attacks, and gengar is resistant to ground. I think you meant Grass. ^_^; Gengar is immune to persian's slash and hyperbeam attacks. With 358 special, bubblebeam doesn't touch gengar.

Gengar also forced the standard lax set to change as of recently. Surf is now very, very stupid to use on snorlax with all of the gengars running around. It's been dropped for earthquake. I thought that changed ages ago? This effectively means that golem can actually take down snorlax now(I'm pretty sure its a 3HKO on both sides, correct me if I'm wrong, and additionally, golem is faster).

Tauros now has to have earthquake. I know that everyone has been using 'slam, quake, beam, blizzard forever now, but I tried out a substitute, rest, and thunder tauros. Everything there worked perfect, but with gengar around, earthquake was a most. I personally dropped Blizzard for Rest, since I don't really use Blizzard on Tauros anyway, but not due to Gengar pressure. I just felt like putting Rest on it. Doesn't work well if I don't do it right, though... Kinda hard to use.

Gengar actually shuffled the game around a little bit, if any of you have noticed. ^_^; Maybe I should go to the PBS more often. I only do it when I have nothing else to do and someone's on that I can challenge.

Counter. This is probably what made the biggest effect on the metagame IMO. Although there haven't been many moveset changes besides fishlax to quakelax, counter is just quite evil on chansey, because an earthquake from snorlax or tauros doesn't harm chansey too much. Yeah, Counter on Chansey would be great, but which PBS is making it work? Are you using KK's? Cuz I keep hearing Azure's Porygon has Mimic and Counter screwed over, so I never really tried using them... I like counterlax too, thats even more evil. After tauros takes a bodyslam from snorlax, snorlax uses counter next turn and OHKO's tauros. Ownage. Yeah, physical lax has an even better opening for Counter than Chansey, since it can replace Hyper Beam more easily than Chansey can replace a status effect move.

So uh yeah, please reply. Just say what you think of counter, gengar, and etc. Also, resting eggy hasn't been used in years, and I actually think that it is superior to explosion eggy. I currently like psychic, stunspore, sleep powder, and rest, but thats just me. It lets me parylize there whole team, and PP wastes psychics from other alakazams like no other(or seismic tosses). Has anyone else tried a resting eggy and had good success with it? The thing about Explosion-less Eggys is, in my opinion, Chanseys cease to be afraid of them. Especially paralyzed Chanseys who can't get put to sleep. They can just Ice Beam away with no fear, and Exeggutor can't stay up against them because it'll be pp-wasted pretty quickly. It'll get annoying when you have to switch Exeggutor away from Chanseys, which is kind of backwards. Eggys were meant to send annoying Chanseys scampering away in fear.

Overall, I can't really say much about seeing changes, because, admittedly, I haven't been at the PBS enough to notice any. ^_^;; Sorry.

Feelingsad
16th July 2003, 02:55 AM
I was just thinking about this stuff recently, I used to use Gengar mostly so I could force a Tauros to hesitate before attacking and sometimes earthquake to just make it generally easier to deal with.

But, with all these counter users running about Gengar seems kinda redundant, and is also kinda made worse by counter, since people could be quaking when you would normally expect them to bodyslam, and catch you on a switch to Gengar.

So, I would imagine Gengars popularity could be diminishing very quickly soon..

Quake lax, I have used pretty much the whole time I have battled online..

The reason resting Eggy has been so effective for you, is because you rely so heavily on counter. Counter Chansey really only has to switch out against ground attackers, and after recieving a couple of special falls from an Alakazam or something. Exeggutor with rest pretty much stops both of these cold. Eggy doesn't need to be awake to own ground types, and Zam isn't that hard to pp waste if you make the switch straight back to Chansey.

However, resting Exeggutor is even easier to pp waste.. rext despite having effectively 40+ pp is no good for pp wasting because it gives away free switches.. When it is unexpected, rest can often be an incredibly effective move..

Just out of interest, does substitute stop counter?

And Char, Counter works on marblepalace's pbs or on RBY bots, not Azures PBS. Mimic only works on the RBYBots..

Have a nice day.

bme
13th September 2003, 07:09 PM
I've never been involved with netbattling, but i've been around since the beginning to see things. ^^;

From my view, Gengar was really popular at the start because of its immunity to Swift-Dancing, and anything that could Haze it would fall to Thunderbolt or Psychic quickly, and I saw a lot of Double Team/Rest 'Gar's, so it could PP waste very well. Confuse Ray is an obvious reason it was used too. After the 'Cat-Gonk' clause, and tradebacks, it kinda hit the pooper because Starmie got to have more fun with it. I personally like Gengar because of it's versatility.

I never saw Counter used much besides being on Chansey. As I recall, if the user tries to use Counter when their Pokémon has a Substitute up, it fails. You all know Substitute is good for physical attackers so Chansey's with Counter can't murder your Tauros. 8D

I like Exeggutor. Besides "Bennedict", I remember sets with Leech Seed to force a switch right into a Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. x) Sometimes Hypnosis to fight off other grass types, even tho, to quote someone; "It couldn't hit a whale on top of another whale." I remember when it was used to fight Mewtwo using Leech Seed & Bide, before someone realized Substitute + Amnesia = good gone.

Redwall Dude
28th September 2003, 10:33 PM
I've noticed a few things with the metagame. It's really started to switch from faster pokemon, to slower ones with more staying power. There have been some exceptions, but most players are starting to choose pokemon with a lot of power or a lot of HP.

But more importantly, two types are going to completely shift out of the game very soon. Electrics and grounds are pretty much useless. Most of the time, they aren't going to do much, a ground might absorb a hyperbeam, or an electric might get a kill. But usually, they are just dead weight. If you trade one out for a tauros, it's like increasing the number of pokemon that you have. Grounds won't do anything if they don't have an electric. And electrics won't do anything if they have a ground. And even if you have an electric and they have no ground, there are ways to deal with them. And since using rest will limit your moveset, they can just chip away at your health.

Green_Pikachu
15th October 2003, 01:44 AM
in the past 10 rby battles ive had in the past 3 days, im 9-1. do you know how many of those teams had gengar? like 5. thats half. half of the teams have gengar. i do not know if i feel like changing around a pokemon or two to take a certain pokemon. my snorlax has, and always will, have surf on it. fishlax is the only lax. tauros works fine without quake, but i DO have quake. and eggy > gengar anyway. i would say kazam > gengar, if you reflect before that gengar explodes. ;/ if you have all there psychics down, gengar for sure will rip u apart with an explosion, because he survives a kazam psychic with that crazy special of his.

btw, rby was the best series.