PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Rate my team.

Dysfunction
16th July 2003, 01:17 PM
Hello. This is my pokemon battle simulator(PBS) team. Please rate it about how it would perform on the PBS.

Mewtwo - Icebeam, Thunderbolt, Amnesia, Rest

My starter. This will destroy everything in its path hopefully. Icebeam and thunderbolt is a great combo. Nothing in RBY resists both moves. Amnesia boosts mewtwo's special up to 800 or so in one turn. After that, it is 999 special, and ready to go. Rest is so that I can recover from harmful status effects, such as toxic and parylization. I do not want mewtwo to be parylized, it is very fast. Rest allows me to recover from toxic's effects without having to switch.

Mew - Swift, Softboiled, Swords dance, Earthquake

My main defense against other doubleteamers, minimizers, and evading modifiers, mostly. Mew is a tank like mewtwo, except covers the physical area. Swift and earthquake can hit every pokemon in RBY, besides aerodactyl. Unless aerodactyl has rest and reflect, I would be able to easily down it. Earthquake covers what swift doesn't hit well - grounds - and what swift can't hit at all - gengar. Softboiled is essentially a lower-PP recover, and allows me to regain health.

Exeggutor - Sleep powder, Doubleteam, Rest, Psychic

My sleeper. This will hopefully sleep two or three pokemon on my opponents team, until they realize that they are screwed. Eggy eventually will wear down all sleeping pokemon with psychic, due to the special lowerings. Doubleteam and rest allow eggy to virtually survive forever, unless they can score three blizzards in a row while I sleep.

Tauros - Doubleteam, Rest, Fissure, Horndrill

My OHKO'er, and a very good one at that. With tauros's immense speed, fissure and horndrill can hit anything. The only thing it might have trouble with is possibly starmie and alakazam. If I get parylized, just doubleteam a bit, and rest it off. Rinse and repeat.

Alakazam - Psychic, Thunderwave, Barrier, Recover

My thunderwaver. Thunderwave is on here to help out the rest of my team, tauros mostly. Psychic runs off of 368 special, and barrier is a GSC-tradeback. Barrier boosts alakazam's defense through the roof, and allows it to combat tauros, snorlax, and other physical attackers.

Chansey - Icebeam, Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Softboiled

Chansey is my other special absorber, for when I don't want to let mewtwo get parylized initially. Chansey has 700 HP and 308 special, something no other pokemon can match. Icebeam and thunderbolt can hit anything, and thunderwave provides support for my team. Softboiled is to regain health.

That is my team. I have a 3x bug weakness, 3x fighting weakness, 1x ice, flying, and fire weakness. The 3x bug weakness and 3x fighting weaknesses are nothing to worry about however, seeing as there are no good bug attacks - or fighting attacks on usable pokemon - in the game.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Leon-IH
17th July 2003, 06:55 AM
Mewtwo - probably better off with the below set, psychic is for that accursed fighting weakness, also keep away from amnesia slowbro's.
Amnesia, Recover, Psychic, Ice Beam.

Mew - Aerodactyl will butcher this guy.. as will a powerful physical attacker, good set if your expecting alot of DT/minimize
Swift, Softboiled, Swords dance, Earthquake.

Exeggutor - fear charizard, and most importantly stand away if they pull a good flyer (Light Screen, Drill peck, Thunderbolt on Zapdos will hurt your entire team) you might be better off with
Sleep Powder, Psychic, Double Team, Substitute.

Tauros, good set though a bit abusive.
Doubleteam, Rest, Fissure, Horndrill.

Alakazam - continuing the very boring saga of almost-standard sets.. if you want a paralyser go with slowbro, but we all like to abuse 'kazams speed.
Barrier, Psychic, Thunder Wave, Recover.

Chansey - let me say this.. avoid Tauros... FT over ice beam, but im honestly advising you to be careful if fearow turns up.
Icebeam, Flamethrower, Thunderwave, Softboiled.

overall - this team is a little bit on the boring side, Alakazam is not a choice paralyser seeing as he has a huge defensive weakness, hypno or slowbro are probably better options, even with barrier i dont see him surviving 2 decent attacks from say Snorlax.

RaZoR LeAf
17th July 2003, 09:16 AM
I'd suggest avoiding Mewtwo AND Mew in one team along with Double Team and Rest. Consider Most common PBS Clauses.

I'll rate later when I have some spare time.
Oh...

Leon-IH can you make suggests that also DON'T include GSC tradebacks. Don't assume that peole use them, as they too are frowned on in regular PBS battles. If your going to give Tradeback suggestions, always give non tradeback too.

RaZoR LeAf
17th July 2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Dysfunction
Hello. This is my pokemon battle simulator(PBS) team. Please rate it about how it would perform on the PBS.

Mewtwo - Icebeam, Thunderbolt, Amnesia, Rest

My starter. This will destroy everything in its path hopefully. Icebeam and thunderbolt is a great combo. Nothing in RBY resists both moves. Amnesia boosts mewtwo's special up to 800 or so in one turn. After that, it is 999 special, and ready to go. Rest is so that I can recover from harmful status effects, such as toxic and parylization. I do not want mewtwo to be parylized, it is very fast. Rest allows me to recover from toxic's effects without having to switch.

One of the most common clauses for proper PBS battles is no Mewtwo or Mew, and certainly never together unless you want to come across as a total n00b. No offence, but having 2 powerhouses on your team doesn't put across the right sort of image does it? The moveset itself is fine.

Mew - Swift, Softboiled, Swords dance, Earthquake

My main defense against other doubleteamers, minimizers, and evading modifiers, mostly. Mew is a tank like mewtwo, except covers the physical area. Swift and earthquake can hit every pokemon in RBY, besides aerodactyl. Unless aerodactyl has rest and reflect, I would be able to easily down it. Earthquake covers what swift doesn't hit well - grounds - and what swift can't hit at all - gengar. Softboiled is essentially a lower-PP recover, and allows me to regain health.

*Points up*

Exeggutor - Sleep powder, Doubleteam, Rest, Psychic

My sleeper. This will hopefully sleep two or three pokemon on my opponents team, until they realize that they are screwed. Eggy eventually will wear down all sleeping pokemon with psychic, due to the special lowerings. Doubleteam and rest allow eggy to virtually survive forever, unless they can score three blizzards in a row while I sleep.

Second standard clause of PBS battles, is Sleep Clause. No more than one pokemon alseep at any one time. So sending half your enemies pokemon to sleep isn't going to look to good in a proper battle either. If you're battling some n00b who has 6 Mewtwos, then feel free, but most people play by these rules and have done for some time now. They also play Evade Clause, ie, no pokemon with Double Team or Minimize, though sometimes they allow it on ONE pokemon only.

Tauros - Doubleteam, Rest, Fissure, Horndrill

My OHKO'er, and a very good one at that. With tauros's immense speed, fissure and horndrill can hit anything. The only thing it might have trouble with is possibly starmie and alakazam. If I get parylized, just doubleteam a bit, and rest it off. Rinse and repeat.

*Points out Evade Clause* And Tauros is much better being used as a sweeper, rather than wasting OHKO moves on it which are also usually banned, or limited. If you think all these rules are somewhat stifling, read the bottom of my post and maybe you'll understand the reason for them.

Alakazam - Psychic, Thunderwave, Barrier, Recover

My thunderwaver. Thunderwave is on here to help out the rest of my team, tauros mostly. Psychic runs off of 368 special, and barrier is a GSC-tradeback. Barrier boosts alakazam's defense through the roof, and allows it to combat tauros, snorlax, and other physical attackers.

You have to agree on fighting with Metallic moves. It's not a clause demanded of people, but knowing about them in advance is nice. No one likes to go into battle with an RBY team and find themselves up against a GSCRBY team. I've always prefered Seismic Toss over defencives of any kind.

Chansey - Icebeam, Thunderbolt, Thunderwave, Softboiled

Chansey is my other special absorber, for when I don't want to let mewtwo get parylized initially. Chansey has 700 HP and 308 special, something no other pokemon can match. Icebeam and thunderbolt can hit anything, and thunderwave provides support for my team. Softboiled is to regain health.

Blizzard would be a better option over Ice Beam IMO, if only for the extra sweeping power.

That is my team. I have a 3x bug weakness, 3x fighting weakness, 1x ice, flying, and fire weakness. The 3x bug weakness and 3x fighting weaknesses are nothing to worry about however, seeing as there are no good bug attacks - or fighting attacks on usable pokemon - in the game.
Thank you for your time in advance.

A x1 weakness isn't even worth mentioning. And you have a x2 weakness to Fighting (Tauros and Chansey). The only weakness you should be weary of are x3 or more on Psychic, Ice, Water, Ground or Electric. The 5 most commonly used moves.

Now, onto the clauses. I've posted these in one topic, i'm going to post them here, then i'm going to add them to the sticky post of moves and stats at the top of the page and direct people there next time.

Species Clause
No more than one of any species. You can have Nidoran Male, Nidorino and Nidoking on your team, but not 3 Nidoking.

Sleep Clause
This is the most important. Basically means that no more than one pokemon per team can be put to sleep. It stops someone from sending the entire team to sleep and beating them senseless without mercy.

00ber Clause
Total ban on Metwo and Mew. I can't remember if it limits to 1 Legendary bird per team or not.

Evade Clause
No pokemon may use Double Team or Minimize. Can sometimes be limited to only 1 pokemon with an evade move, but only on prior to battle discussion. It was decided long ago, that battles that consisted of both pokemon evaded to max and waiting for an attack to hit were boring and based purely on luck rather than skill.

Metallics Clause
No attacks that can only be obtainable through GSC. Such as Amnesia on Tangela and Nidoking, or elemental Punches on Alakazam, Electabuzz, Magmar, etc.

OHKO Clause
No pokemon may use a One Hit Knock Out move such as Fissure, Guillotine or Horn Drill. Sometimes this is limited to only 1 pokemon using it.

Now, the reason for all tese is that people who battle on PBS, actually want to do just that. Battle. Before all this people would play Double Team Resting Chanseys off against each other for hours on end. 2 Chanseys, fully evaded, Resting or recovering all it was, is a PP wasting match. Who's first to run out of PP or get bored. This is not a battle. It is far from anything anyone could ever call a battle. It is crap. To be blunt. That's why all these rules were made, to stop crapness and make battles fun. If you know who you're battling, say fixing it up over AIM, MSN or mIRC then you can discuss what clauses to use, but jumping in without any consideration for the other players rules isn't a fair game.