PDA

View Full Version : Good SNES games?

Kari and Mewtwo
18th July 2003, 12:36 AM
well, i just dug up my old SNES.. and I was wondering if there were any good SNES games you guys could suggest. I already have the following:

MMX
MMX2
MMX3
MM7
earthbound
Donkey kong country
FF3 (i also have it on the PSX)
yoshi's island

Shadowfax
18th July 2003, 03:00 AM
Mario All Stars may well be the greatest game ever made, you should get that. Super Metroid is brilliant. And if you like donkey kong country you should probably get the 2nd and 3rd ones.. though they werent all that great. Final Fantasy 4 was my favourite ff game. (ff2 if your american) and f-zero's pretty good.
I'll post some more when i can think, its waaay to early just now.

Knight of Time
18th July 2003, 08:55 AM
If you can find either of the first two games anywhere (I think they are both very rare these days), you should try looking for Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Kirby's Super Star (unless you don't like the pink cream puff). You should also definitely get Zelda: A Link to the Past (one of my favs) of even Illusion of Gaia for a good yet tough RPG.

Lord Necrodain
18th July 2003, 09:16 AM
As previously noted, Super Metroid is easily one of the best games on the system, with great graphics, long (by action game standards, don't expect RPG-type length) and enjoyable gameplay and wicked music. It was also the birthplace of the music that has since become "Ridley's Theme" in the newer Metroids. Super Mario All-Stars is pure fun provided you don't mind the fact that you are basically playing 8-bit games with 16-bit graphics, but hey, it's got SMB3, which is always a winner, at least in my book.

EDIT: It's already been mentioned, but I feel compelled to recommend Kirby Super Star, as it too is a great and enjoyable game, though not the hardest or longest one around.

For something unmentioned, if you're looking for an RPG, Chrono Trigger is superb, with a long and engaging storyline, and great gameplay to boot, with perhaps the only flaws being that it's not very difficult, and most boss fights aren't much more complex than "throw your biggest, flashiest spells at it until it dies".

Of course, I can't go without mentioning The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, one of the best top-down Action/Adventure games around. Give that one a gander, it's quite a lengthy game, considering it boasts something like 11 or 12 dungeons, if I remember correctly.

I realize it was never released out of Japan, but I feel obligated to give Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior outside of Japan) VI a plug, as it was my favourite 16-bit RPG ever. There's a ROM with a translation patch floating around on the net somewhere, not that I would advise you to go looking, because it is, of course, a bit less than legal. Anyways, it's a really good game, the storyline probably isn't as deep as something like Chrono Trigger, but the gameplay is marvelous, and the battles are very challenging. The main thing I like about it more than CT is the fact that combat, particularly against bosses, requires more thought because the biggest, baddest spells won't always work, whereas in CT it was pretty surefire if somerthing would work or not, in CT you needed to know what elements the enemy absorbed and was resistant/immune to, and you were good to go (in most cases), but in DQVI picking out a boss' strengths and weaknesses is a lot harder. Plus, the bosses are much more merciless in their attacks, and can often decimate your party in 1 or 2 turns if you don't prepare yourself well.

Moving back to games that do legally exist in English, Super Mario Kart is a fun diversion, if not the deepest, most complex game around. Once you get past the annoying fact that the computers have unlimited ammunition and only shoot at you, not each other, it's a pretty fun game, all in all. It's much more fun if you have two people, because things get more interesting with a second player on the course, using the item blocks like you do rather than having an unlimited supply of one weapon like the computers have. Plus, in Grand Prix mode, you'll see more projectiles fired by the computers when they have two things to shoot at.

If I can think of any more, I'll edit them in, but that's all for now.

Mikey
18th July 2003, 10:05 AM
All games in the Donkey Kong series were good. Mario all stars, Legend of Zelda, MARIOKART!!!

Kokomo
18th July 2003, 11:54 AM
Dont forget Secret of Mana, a multiplayer RPG.

PNT510
18th July 2003, 12:02 PM
The only game I can think of right now that no one mentioned is Super Mario RPG.

Strider
18th July 2003, 09:04 PM
I suggest in no particular order:

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Super Castlevania IV
Secret of Evermore
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Bubsy
The Peace Keepers
Actraiser
Actraiser 2
Gradius III
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire II
Wanderers From Ys III
StarFox
Castlevania - Dracula X
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
R-Type III
Super R-Type
Pocky and Rocky
Sky Blazer
Aero Fighters
Axelay
Soul Blazer
Earthworm Jim
Earthworm Jim 2
Lufia
Lufia 2
Final Fight
Final Fight 2
Final Fight 3
Killer Instinct
Harvest Moon
Sim City
Sim City 2000
Super Star Wars
Super Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back
Super Star Wars - Return of the Jedi
Super Street Fighter 2

And of course, as well as the other excellent titles suggested above.

Chikoo
18th July 2003, 09:45 PM
Deffinetely, A Link To The Past and Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3. The Zelda one was really cool, and the end was too. DKC 2 and 3 were excellent. DKC was OK, but 2 and 3 were way better, IMO. ;o

crazybone
19th July 2003, 03:51 PM
Like Kokomo mentioned earlier, Secret of The Mana 2 is one of the best RPGs ever created for SNES. Despite the fact that all games for SNES have suffered severe value drops since 1994, expect SOTM2 to be still somewhere around 60 dollars American.

Secret of The Mana 3, although the game was changed to Seiken Densetsu 3 when transfered to english, is even more rare. Expect it to be around 75 dollars American. After searching several places for that game, I gave up and bought it at a Japanese games auction site for around 65 Canadian, but it was worth it.

Lord Necrodain
19th July 2003, 03:56 PM
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) never was released in English, was it? My understanding was that the English version that exists was a fan translation of the Japanese game. I imagine, if English carts do exist, they're probably fan translations of the Japanese game, if that's possible, though I could very well be wrong.

The Muffin Man
19th July 2003, 04:36 PM
Lufia 2 and Crono Trigger are the only great games really left for you to get...I suggest both.

carpet fish
19th July 2003, 08:22 PM
Get Claymates, it is awesome. :yes:

Crystal Mew
20th July 2003, 01:07 AM
I liked all the mario games, and Clayfighters :> that was the funnest game when I was 10.....lol
and a Link to the past =o

Avian Freeze
20th July 2003, 05:46 PM
Ahh, the SNES rocks :D. I would suggest Chrono Trigger, GREAT RPG. Super Mario RPG is great too, really fun to play over and over ^^. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. If you like Zelda, you gotta get that game, it's great. Kirby's Super Star definitely, that was such a fun game, and it's even more fun with two people :yes:. Donkey Kong Country series is fun to play too. The SNES has a great selection of games, so have fun with it :).

-Niceandsmooth-
21st July 2003, 07:56 PM
The legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Any FF game and the Double dragon series are good games.

Gengachu
23rd July 2003, 09:11 AM
You should definetly get all the Final Fantasys, Chrono Trigger, Both Castlevania games(one of my favorite series), DKC 2 & 3(imo every bit as good as the first), Kirby's Super Star, Tetris & Dr. Mario, Contra 3(unless you really suck at contra), Aladdin, Zelda (tied for all-time favorite game), Super Metroid (my other favorite), Super Mario World 1-2, Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Mario RPG. Some other games to consider if you like beat-em ups and hack'n slashes get Ninja Warriors Again, Knights of the Round, Final Fight 1-3, and Super Double Dragon(don't buy dd5 it's a crappy fighting game). And if you like Doom, the SNES version is pretty faithful to the PC version, though the graphics are worse and you can't save. I got my copy for $5, so I'd say it was the worth the price. There are also a lot of good RPGs, but most of them have already been mentioned a lot.