PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Advance Generation Episode #35: May! The First Pokemon Contest Challenge!

Hanada Tattsu
18th July 2003, 06:25 PM
Pokemon Advance Generation Episode #35: May! The First Pokemon Contest Challenge

Update to Version 3.0

Hello, everyone! With Advance Episode 35, we update to a newer version of the Next On Preview, a better one for all fans! There will be more information on the episode, so, stay tuned, and relax, sit back, and enjoy!

First Thougts Regarding the Title

Well, this episode brings us to May's first Pokemon Contest, and it seems like it will be the hardest. I think it is a beauty contest, because we know the Pokemon she will be using, her Beautifly which she worked so hard on on training. I wonder if she will win, and who will be her opponent?

Screen by Screen Analysis of the Preview

First, I would like to mention that usually in the previews, Ash is speaking, but in this particular one, May is speaking, mainly because the episode is about her. Anyways, as the Advance Generation theme plays in the background, we see the red-orange background of Groudon with the Pokemon of the day written. We then see the Slateport Pokemon Contest house, and May sitting inside on a bench, with her Pokeblock Case in her hands, nervous. We then see Shuu, May's rival, order his Roselia to use Poison Sting, as it uses it. Then, May orders her Beautifly to use Whirlwind, and it blows a Magical Leaf attack away. We then see May order Beautifly to use Silver Wind on Roselia. Following this, we see a Milotic, encircled in some kind of twister, and Roselia, using a Magical Leaf. We then see some kind of twister in the middle of the arena, and a woman with blond hair, Milotic's trainer, watch as Beautifly is embedded in that twister. We then see the aqua-blue background with Kyogre and the episode title.

Picture of the Week

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_ag/2_yokoku/img/035.jpg

This is a picture of May ordering her Beautifly to use Whirlwind on Shuu's Roselia's Magical Leaf.

Final Thoughts

This seems like a good episode; Beautifly uses Silver Wind in this episode, and Milotic makes an appearence, bit early for a Pokemon of that level. I wonder if May wins this, it won't be easy...

Until next time, I hope you enjoyed this!

Mikey
18th July 2003, 06:37 PM
Good summary Hanada, couldn't have done better. Looks like May beats Shuu then heads to the finals with the Milotic trainer. Hmm, I wonder who will win. I'm guessing the Milotic trainer as May is just starting.

Chris 2.1
18th July 2003, 06:41 PM
ARGH. I made a thingymajigger about this, and it was really half-good, but i deleted it :p

I came up with two outcomes for the contests.

-A contest acts as a shrunken league, and, like Ash didn't win the Indigo League, May won't win her first Contest. It may be she will gradually win one at the end, but....pardon my idioticness, what contest was it in Rustboro? or wherever that last contest was...does that mean there are three left?

-Second idea - May takes them all down and gets all '5' ribbons (see above question for the inverted commas). Shuu makes a few appearences, but loses.

What do you think? also, I have a pic of Roselia in this ep:

[attachment deleted by admin]

DannyBoy
18th July 2003, 08:51 PM
Looks like a great eppie I cant wait to see what Miliotic looks like. Roselia looks really freaky in that pix.

Hanada Tattsu
18th July 2003, 11:25 PM
Roselia looks like its doing drugs in that scene, lol. Thanks for the pic!

Also, the order of contests does not follow the game, there is a contest house in Rustboro in the anime but not in the game.

Mikey
18th July 2003, 11:29 PM
The contest house wasn't in Rustboro City, it as in the small area in between it and the bridge. The anime went all out with that area. A forest, a contest hall. Geeze it was 2 inches wide with a Magikarp fisherman and an old grandma.

Hanada Tattsu
18th July 2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Mikey
The contest house wasn't in Rustboro City, it as in the small area in between it and the bridge. The anime went all out with that area. A forest, a contest hall. Geeze it was 2 inches wide with a Magikarp fisherman and an old grandma.

LOL, well I was rounding it to the nearest city. Heh, I know, the anime overexaggerates a lot of things, especially places like that.

Light_Togetic
20th July 2003, 01:20 PM
Cool, I was waiting for an eppie to come with May getting some contest experience. Too bad contest halls are so few and far between... Anyway, I doubt she'll win her first one, but if she does, she'll probably end up getting a big head about it. :rolleyes: That's what usually happens, especially to Ash.

I've also wanted to see Milotic animated. It looks just like it should! ^^

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st July 2003, 04:32 AM
Heh heh...this prewiev does not even mention Ash...

Haruka! The First Pokémon Contest Challenge!!

On the day when the Pokémon Contest is opened, the grounds are swarming with people. There in the waiting room Haruka is nervous and does not show any signs of calming down. The theme of the first ivestigation is [The Charming Performance]. What comes to Pokémon, Shuu, who is the rival, acquires high points with his [Thorn Pokémon] Rozeria flying about with various tricks. Soon after that, it is Haruka and Agehanto's turn. Agehanto, as it has practiced hard for the sake of this day, sends out [Silver Wind] and advances to the second investigation in a splendid way.

In the next investigation, there is a contest battle where you cannot take the challenge with beauty only. Haruka's opponent in the competition is Shuu! Who is actually going to win this Battle...!?

Rozeria=Roselia

AKA Pokemon Fan
21st July 2003, 10:05 AM
Wow, Milotic looks great! :yes:

I suspect it is using Twister in that one scene.

Based on the preview and the Pokemon involved I'd say that May will most likely beat Shuu (showing the audience she does have skills) but will lose against Milotic (to show she still has a long way to go).

I will be extremely surprised if her fairly inexperienced Beautifly defeats a Pokemon as powerful and high level as Milotic. It is one of the strongest of all Water types. Even if they didn't battle it'd be hard for her to win since Milotic is considered (according to the game's pokedex anyway) to be among the most beautiful of all Pokemon.

Let's hope Animelee can get us some good screenshots of Milotic later on.:yes:

Gravy
21st July 2003, 03:53 PM
How did I miss this? @_@
Naturally, I look forward to this episode, because once again it focuses solely on my favourite character, Haruka-chan. Yayness!
I'm looking forward to seeing her defeat her rival Shuu and his creepy-looking Roselia. It looks OK with its eyes closed, but when they open......¬_¬0
I'm waiting to see how big Milotic looks in its anime state. Let us not forget, pokemon have been different sizes compared to their RPG counterparts. Just look at Wobba :yes:
Of course, this looks like a brilliant episode, with excellent battle sequences and pokemon.

Hanada Tattsu
23rd July 2003, 12:00 PM
Overthrow May! ALL HAIL MISTY! *starts bringing in Misty parade* Gravy, your turn. ;)

Anyway, the preivew says that May beats Shuu, but I'm sure she'll lose to the Milotic trainer.

Gravy
23rd July 2003, 01:33 PM
Overthrow May! ALL HAIL MISTY! *starts bringing in Misty parade* Gravy, your turn.
*sigh* You just don't know when to quit do ya?:rolleyes:
*lifts up a manhole, and one by one the parade drops in...then I wave a tiny Haruka-chan flag of course*
Well, I'm glad she actually beats Shuu. Although, that either means Shuu will give up contests or be more determined to beat his new rival. I hope its the latter, so we can have some good old rivalry going on again :yes:
Milotic...well, I expect her to be defeated by it. Although, you never know, all that training may have paid off.

Hanada Tattsu
23rd July 2003, 01:41 PM
A tiny Haruka-chan flag? LOL, how funny! *starts waving 50 Misty flags, and many people gather, as much as a communist parade honoring Stalin or Mao* :D

I doubt she'll beat Miltoic. A small butterfly beating a huge sea dragon is like saying a worm can beat a bird, it's not that possible.

Gravy
23rd July 2003, 01:49 PM
Gee, you can fit 25 Misty flags in each hand? Impressive to say the least :rolleyes: Although, I have to wonder where all those people came from @_@ *Continues waving the tiny flag*

Erm, anyways. As most people have said, AG is unpredictable most of the time, so you never know whats going to happen. Remember, size doesn't matter (remember Cyndaquil versus Steelix and Pika versus Gyarados?). And Beautifly does have the advantage of flight and spore attacks on its side.

*Murkrow
23rd July 2003, 02:15 PM
Ahh, what is it with you two and flags all of a sudden?@_@
*Shrugs*
Well, can't beat 'em, join 'em.
*Waves Lance flag*

*Ahem*

No way Beautifly'll beat a Milotic, unless the contest has been rigged :rolleyes:
Erm, gravy, Pikarat had a 4x advantage over Gyara and Steelix had a 2x weakness to Cynda. Doesn't really take an expert to figure out those :rolleyes:
Beautifly has no advantage:yes: Besides, Milotic is way better than Beautifly :yes:
I'll shut up now
:wave:

Gravy
23rd July 2003, 02:29 PM
Hey, don't look at me,Hanada started it :rolleyes: I hope all this character-flag-waving doesn't become a trend @_@
*waves the little flag*

Heh, I knew someone would bring up all that weakness stuff, I just knew it. Beautifly DOES have Giga Drain though. And don't underestimate Silver Wind. And the Stun spore and Sleep powder attacks. Plus it could easily weave around Milotic 'gracefully' :yes:
lol, sorry, but I never really liked Milotic all that much, so its all a bit biased ^_^0

AKA Pokemon Fan
24th July 2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Gravy

Heh, I knew someone would bring up all that weakness stuff, I just knew it. Beautifly DOES have Giga Drain though. And don't underestimate Silver Wind. And the Stun spore and Sleep powder attacks. Plus it could easily weave around Milotic 'gracefully' :yes:
lol, sorry, but I never really liked Milotic all that much, so its all a bit biased ^_^0
I don't think May's Beautifly knows an advanced move like Giga Drain. Also, Beautifly can't learn Sleep Powder. Finally, one of Milotic's standard attacks is Refresh, which would automatically cure it of Stun Spore.

Add to that Beautifly's relative inexperience and Milotic's tremendous power and you have one uneven match.

Why don't you like Milotic? It's so graceful, beautiful and cool looking. Do you just not like sea serpents?

Hanada Tattsu
24th July 2003, 11:53 AM
Not only me, everyone is holding 50 flags! Hit it, Misty! **waves Misty flags*

Well, still, Milotic is too big for Beautifly. Size doesn't always matter, but Milotic knows much more advanced attacks than Beautifly.

JazzJazz
24th July 2003, 05:12 PM
Is there even proof that they're going to battle each other. I thought the contests were just a display of the attacks, not an actual match between two pokemon.

Entropy
24th July 2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Gravy
Hey, don't look at me,Hanada started it :rolleyes: I hope all this character-flag-waving doesn't become a trend @_@
*waves the little flag*

I hope so as well. It is nothing but unnecessary content in regards to this thread. Anyway, I am looking forward to this episode. May obviously benefits from this.

AKA Pokemon Fan
25th July 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JazzJazz
Is there even proof that they're going to battle each other. I thought the contests were just a display of the attacks, not an actual match between two pokemon.
They're both. To my knowledge one reason the Pokemon battle is when the judges can't decide a winner. And yes, we know they battle:

In the episode where Contests were introduced a Beautifly had a huge battle with a Venomoth.

In the preview for this episode we see Beautifly caught up in Milotic's Twister.

JazzJazz
25th July 2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
In the preview for this episode we see Beautifly caught up in Milotic's Twister.

May didn't even end up battling the milotic... did she?

Hanada Tattsu
27th July 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Entropy
I hope so as well. It is nothing but unnecessary content in regards to this thread. Anyway, I am looking forward to this episode. May obviously benefits from this.

You must not know that you're a really rude person, because you are. And you must indeed hate me, but I hate you if you hate me, so we're equal.

As to not make this spam, May only battles Shuu and loses, and Shuu loses to Robert, the Milotic trainer.

Entropy
28th July 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
You must not know that you're a really rude person, because you are.

And how exactly?

And you must indeed hate me, but I hate you if you hate me, so we're equal.

Is this another case of misunderstanding?

Hanada Tattsu
28th July 2003, 04:35 PM
It's not that nostalgic to me that Shuu's Roselia loses to Robert's Milotic, I mean, size clearly matters in this case, and IMHO Beautifly would lose to Milotic if it ever battled it.

Entropy
31st July 2003, 04:30 AM
No reply to my queries. I can't comprehend your accusations if you don't lay them out for me.

Shuppet Master
31st July 2003, 04:43 PM
It's pretty similar to Ash's losses - in both Pokemon Leagues(Kanto and Johto),he loses to one opponent,who then loses to another opponent. What is surprising is that Roselia won the battle contest when Beautifly is 4x resistant to Magical Leaf (being bug/flying) and then Roselia gers creamed by Milotic(since grass is strong against water attacks). Of course,this is just me. :)

Chris 2.1
2nd August 2003, 03:30 PM
Firstly, Hanada and Entropy, you two could clearly sort this out in PM's. It's childish, really, and although I'm not a mod, I think anybody can tell you both that we're not interested in your squabbles. Come on guys...

Anyway, remember, .hack/BELLOSSOM, Roselia is around 1ft high, whereas Milotic is HYUUUUUUGE. I can see why Robert wins...but I reckon they should have size classes in Contests, and May could enter the small, Robert could enter the large. Makes more sense....really....

Oh well, isnt the next contest in Verandturf (sp?) or Pacifidlog?

Hanada Tattsu
25th August 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ShinyMarill
Firstly, Hanada and Entropy, you two could clearly sort this out in PM's. It's childish, really, and although I'm not a mod, I think anybody can tell you both that we're not interested in your squabbles. Come on guys...

Anyway, remember, .hack/BELLOSSOM, Roselia is around 1ft high, whereas Milotic is HYUUUUUUGE. I can see why Robert wins...but I reckon they should have size classes in Contests, and May could enter the small, Robert could enter the large. Makes more sense....really....

True. Size does matter. I mean, Milotic can just sit down on Roselia and squash it, so its pretty easy to see why he lost.

Oh well, isnt the next contest in Verandturf (sp?) or Pacifidlog?

Well, yes, except the anime does not follow the games, as there was a contest before Rusboro.