PDA

View Full Version : Do The Impossible**POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

HiTM@N
19th July 2003, 01:30 PM
A member of the Bulbagarden boards, Pokemon Fan sparked this idea within my head for a thread topic. We've all seen Pokemon throughout the anime do many spectacular attacks or special techniques but most have always remained within their 'learning' boundaries. What I'm trying to say is wouldn't it be possible for a Pokemon to learn a TM for example that it normally wouldn't be able to learn according to Game/Anime references.

The Pokemon in question that myself & Pokemon Fan were debating over was Sakura's Espeon. Earlier in a post BenRG had tried to show a theory explaining how Sakura had been able to travel such distances to various cities in Johto & Kanto as fast as she could. He theorized that it may have been able to use the Teleport TM to do so. I originally gave an argument stating that it could but wouldn't be able to do so under the distance it would take to travel(I basically said it was a short range attack), while Pokemon Fan added that a Espeon couldn't learn the move anyways since it wasn't available to it.

Here's the point: Why couldn't a Pyschic Pokemon learn a TM that involves its special type of energy(Kinetic I think) to do so? For Pyschic Pokemon to use any sort of attack, their strength of energy concentration within their minds is the key, so as long as state of mind is strong enough the ability to pull off a spec. technique they should be able to do any sort of mind oriented task.

I know TM's don't exist within the anime but the process of training does. If I were to say a Hariyama would be able to use SURF in battle a few months ago most people would believe me to be crazy. But Brawly had clearly taught his Hariyama(Well its pre-evolved form first) how to ride waves that you would also see from an actual SURF attack by training more with its special ability. Fighting Pokemon use their body strength as their main arsenal, but a Pokemon such as Hariyama could be labeled as a branch of the Fighting type...Sumo. That type of fighting is solely based on using a low centre of gravity(Balance) to push objects or maintain posture from the brute force of an attack.

By teaching his Pokemon to use his balancing ability in a slightly different way, Brawling basically gave it a variation of the SURF attack without sending out water itself but rather chanelling it from another source. In some ways you can say that a whole sub-type move(I'll just call it Counter-Surf) was created.

If the training was accurately given, do you think a Pokemon could use its primary abilities to try to access another set of abilities? 8)

P.S: Shadow Dino reminded me that a Grass/Posion type like Bulbasaur was able to use his physical side to imitate the DIG technique. I'm not sure if it was ever able to learn it in the Game Version but it clearly did a variation of it in the anime. I wouldn't be surprised if the producers started to show HYBRID moves in the future.

Chris 2.1
19th July 2003, 04:29 PM
I would have considered Teleport, as well as Psychic, almost compulsary for psychics, IE: attacks any psychic can learn. It seems as if that could almost be what defines a psychic Pokemon besides type.

Shuppet Master
19th July 2003, 10:49 PM
I agree that Teleport should be available to all Psychic-types in the anime,if not in the game. Likewise,Bulbasaur used Dig,but it wasn't a real attack,just a means of escaping danger. Hey,Meganium can use Earthquake,why not Venusaur use Dig? ;)

Hanada Tattsu
20th July 2003, 11:07 AM
The way I look at is is that any Pokemon can learn any move of its type. Also, I don't believe in TM's in the anime, so since Espeon is psychic, it can learn Teleport because it is a psychic move.

HiTM@N
20th July 2003, 12:51 PM
Attacks or Techniques within their types should be available to that specific group of Pokemon but I also believe that physical moves(type shouldn't matter for these) can be learned if given the right amount of time & training. I've noticed that sometimes if a Pokemon is smaller, that relatively means it cannot produce one of the larger more powerful moves.

Hanada Tattsu
23rd July 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by HiTM@N
Attacks or Techniques within their types should be available to that specific group of Pokemon but I also believe that physical moves(type shouldn't matter for these) can be learned if given the right amount of time & training. I've noticed that sometimes if a Pokemon is smaller, that relatively means it cannot produce one of the larger more powerful moves.

Not true. Bulbasaur used Solarbeam, and Squirtle used Hydro Pump, and Charmander used Fire Spin. Bulbasaur and Charmander used their ultimate attacks in early to middle Kanto, and Squirtle mastered its move in Orange, prolly because it was the least experienced of the trio.

HiTM@N
23rd July 2003, 04:54 PM
When I said larger more powerful attacks Hanada, I mean larger physical attacks not special ones.

Hanada Tattsu
24th July 2003, 11:57 AM
Oh, okay, then that makes it really different, well, someone else explain it. :D