PDA

View Full Version : I suffer from every fic writer's worst nightmare...

The Prophet
20th July 2003, 11:13 AM
The horrible disease known as writer's block. Is there any cure other than to space out for fifteen hours a day(which doesn't seem to have helped me much....)?

Shadow Trainer Ash
20th July 2003, 11:17 AM
When I tend to get writer's block, it usually helps me to visualize my story in my head and then ask myself "Now where am I going with this?" If you're starting a new story, usually it helps me to take a break from writing for a while. Try odd things, maybe take a walk just to think, ect. ect. and eventually develop an idea off of that. Sometimes you can even branch an idea off of a drawing you may do. ^_~ Writing comes from what the author knows, so try to get to know more. Maybe do research on something interesting (such as mythology or swords). You could be very surprised of where ideas lurk. ^_~

Hope I was of some help!

achooxp
23rd July 2003, 05:33 PM
Ooh ooh I have an idea! :P Well, instead of spacing out for 15 hours a day, you could go actually do stuff because experience is what makes the material that I writer works with and then perhaps come back one day all exhausted, sleep, and wake up inspired! Basically, it's okay to not let the act of writing consume you, in my humble opinion.

Gavin Luper
26th July 2003, 02:41 AM
Everyone has their own methods of dealing with Writer's Block, but there is no universal method. What works for some simply doesn't go down well with others.

My best advice would be to just read over some other chapters you have written that you particularly liked or enjoyed, or, if you haven't written any yet, just remind yourself that there is no rush to get the story written; tell yourself you have all the time in the world.

Cheers and good luck!

DannyBoy
26th July 2003, 02:47 AM
FOr some reason watching tv and getting really bored helps me write and then I can write 3 really good chapters and its all good. Also I think there is another thread here that has lots more ways to get rid of it and helpful hints. Hope ya get rid of your writers block!

mr_pikachu
26th July 2003, 12:41 PM
Well, as Gavin said, what works for one person may not for another. But if you're looking for suggestions, here's what I do: I read over past chapters of my fic, as Gavin suggested, or I read other peoples' fics. Sometimes I see something in someone else's works that sends me on a chain of thought into inspiration. But that's just what I do. You need to find a method that works for you. That way, you'll know what to do in the future. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and actually, our worst nightmare is for both the forum and our computer to go down and to lose everything we've written. But that's okay, don't feel bad about it. ;)

Mikey
26th July 2003, 12:56 PM
Bah, I get writer's block sometimes, when I do i just save what i wrote, wuit and do other things. Whilst I do, I think of what I want to do with it and it eventually comes to me.

The Rusted One
26th July 2003, 06:03 PM
Perhaps you can try thinking about the themes in the story so far, the major issues, and try to see where and what they are leading to. Write down ALL of your ideas, even if they seem stupid (even if you start off down one train of thought knowing that the story is so unrealistic you could only ever make a comedic fic out of it) - perhaps you can, later on, come back, select the best elements of each story you thought of and combine them into one? I mean, with writer's block, you have ideas for stories, just not ones you want or can use for your current project; you can't see where your fic so far leads. Take those stories and manipulate them until you get something that has the right feel to it, and go from there.

ThePhenom
26th July 2003, 07:08 PM
I've had writer's block for the last couple days, which is why I haven't finished chapter 8 in my fic. :(

Hopefully I'll think of something and get it up tonight.

Chris 2.1
2nd August 2003, 10:40 AM
I don't usually get WB, but I'm having a wee spot of it right now. I usually get inspiration, for my fic anyway, from things like Babylonia and ancient Egypt, those aspects really inspire me. I duno, though, I doubt it would work for every fic type (espec. Trainer)

A Grilled Fish
7th August 2003, 11:36 PM
1. Every chance you get, watch the sunset.

2. Name a tree and talk to it every day.

3. Slap yourself with a fish.

4. Copy and past random bits of text from many places on the web into a document, mix the words together randomly, do a spell check and replace every mispelled word with the first option. Read this document for inspiration.

5. I have actually done these things (except it wasn't a real fish, just a plastic one that said C-6 on it)

:confused:

Orion
14th August 2003, 05:47 PM
Well,I'm not the best Fic writer,but...on my history of Fic writing,I've never,EVER suffered from Writer's Block!Not even in my own history(That's very long).I'll give some tips so you will never suffer this "disease",or if you're suffering it,you'll get out and never catch it again.

-Before starting a Fic,be sure you have a general idea of EVERYTHING.Think in the beginning,in the climax,in the characters,in the events...you must even plan the ending,if possible.Tie everything together,and check for any plot holes and stuff,that's before even starting writing the Fic!Let me tell you,I tend to get a lot of ideas every so often,and most never come to be written or advanced further.But whenever I get a very good Idea I've been thinking of for a while,and plan everything before even starting it,I don't get blocked ever!If you just got a good idea,but don't know how to keep it going or what else you'll add,try to avoid it...That doesn't mean your Fic will be determined even before you start,that's just to get everything setted up,and when writing,you won't stop for thinking ever!Any good ideas coming can be added as well,and you'll see the Fic won't be blended by that,since you have the determined plot in your head,or written already!

-Try to memorize all you're going to write in further chapters.If your memory is kinda bad,you can write a general idea of how the story will flow,and check it whenever it's needed.Check all chapters every so often,so you know what to do next.

-Patience is another helpful ally.Most of the times,you get blocked in some chapter.Don't stay hours thinking on what to do next,that won't help much.Try to clean your mind for a while,thinking a little in all you've written.Eventually,you'll get at least one idea that'll help you.

-If you wanna tie a lot of different stories,be very careful!This tends to be very hard,but it's possible to join'em in an effective manner!Just advance in one part,and then advance in another.This way,you'll be getting ideas for previous or upcoming parts very often.It's worked for me so far...

-Consider every idea passing through your mind,even if it looks weird or unfitting.If it's a good idea,and if it will trascend,you'll find a way to fit it in your Fic,and it'll keep very smooth!If you can't see any benefit from that idea,you'd better forget it.

-As people has been saying,clean your mind with other activities.This is a good way to get ideas.I'm kind of a weirdo,and I get ideas from everywhere,even with just looking at the cloud's shapes.Look around you for stuff that could help you!

That's pretty much it...I know these tips won't help everyone,but they can be applied,and you'll see some results.the first one is the most important.Hope this helps you cleaning your mind and giving new ideas!