PDA

View Full Version : The Final Fantasy movie

Last Exile
25th December 2002, 02:59 AM
I recently acquired it for a very modest price. Okay, I'm not familiar with the game series, but I was impressed by what I saw. I thought the animation was top-class, the voicings were great, the characters were great and the plot was clever. SO why it wasn't I hit I don't know. One main criticism was that the animation was TOO realistic. I find that a very harsh criticism. IMO, Aki Ross is one of the best drawn characters ever.

Anyways, what do you other anime buffs think of it?

The Muffin Man
25th December 2002, 04:55 PM
IMHO, FF:TSW sucked. It was not Final Fantasy, but merely a horrible case of "slapping Final Fantasy onto something to sell it"

It was quite simply bland and unentertaining. The animation/CGI was good and all, but the characters looked so human and acted so NOT human! They acted like they had as much emotion as a rock...it was just sad. Nothing FF-ish about it. It was more sci-fi. I hope they don't try to make an original FF movie ever again...

But seriously, they had no emotions. It was like "Oh no...*yawn* We're going to meet certain doom"

It was WAY too dark. I could hardly make out any of the scenes, and it never explained much of a damn thing. My rating? 3/10. Just a bad movie.

RedStarWarrior
25th December 2002, 08:55 PM
I don't share Mike's criticism. Was it good, yes. The animation was excellent and I didn't have any problem with the shading. Maybe the brightness on your television is set too low, Mike. Anyway, the story plot was okay but it could have been a little better. I don't think it should have been a FF film, though. If they want to sell something as Final Fantasy they should use a familiar plot instead of creating a new one. All in all, I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

Roarkiller
27th December 2002, 02:53 AM
I thought it was good, but then ive never had associated myself with anything to do with FF before.

The ending theme song was great though :)

Anyway, u cant expect much emotions when the 3D figures were made to look realistic, NOT move realistically. Maybe when those guys got enough experience they would pump in more emotions into the faces.

Last Exile
27th December 2002, 07:54 AM
I guess a point was that maybe since the world was on the verge of complete destruction in the Final Fantasy movie, a lack of emotion in survivors would be a realistic and expected trait of such a world. No time for emotions anymore, only survival.

dienamight
27th December 2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
IMHO, FF:TSW sucked. It was not Final Fantasy, but merely a horrible case of "slapping Final Fantasy onto something to sell it"

It was quite simply bland and unentertaining. The animation/CGI was good and all, but the characters looked so human and acted so NOT human! They acted like they had as much emotion as a rock...it was just sad. Nothing FF-ish about it. It was more sci-fi. I hope they don't try to make an original FF movie ever again...

But seriously, they had no emotions. It was like "Oh no...*yawn* We're going to meet certain doom"

It was WAY too dark. I could hardly make out any of the scenes, and it never explained much of a damn thing. My rating? 3/10. Just a bad movie.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Red Angel
31st December 2002, 01:32 PM
I STRONGLY disagree with both The Muffin Man and dienamight... I thought it was pretty good... I'll try to do a bit of areview here...

Visuals: 10/10
It's Sqaure... it's CG... waht did you expect? Seriously though... really nice looking, really realistic... very nice...
I have NO idea why TMM found it "It was WAY too dark"... maybe he was was watching it at home on a bad TV... it was very nice at the movies where I saw it...

Sound: 9/10
Not bad at all... beatifull, yet haunting, it fits in very well with the rest of the film...

Story: 5/10
The story felt REALLY clipped... but that's not really the falt of the creators as the fault of the length of the movie... it would have been so much better had it been longer and more time been spent on the story instead of having it rush you around like a Bullet Train (bad pun, I know... hope nobody was offended)....

FF licence: 0.5/10
OMG... there was no reason why there should have been any sort of tie-in with FF... the only link I noticed at all was that the scientist dude was named Sid, which is the same pronounciation (abeit different spelling) as the Cid dude who's been in most of the FFs

Roarkiller
1st January 2003, 03:09 AM
@Red Angel: i think the creators were more concerned with the animation and music to bother about the storyline. Remember all those newspaper reports about how realistic the characters were gonna be? Recall anything about the story? I thought not.

Ninetales3001
1st January 2003, 03:44 AM
This version of "Final Fantasy" was very North Americanized. This shows you that a 'Final Fantasy' can really be about anything XD.. which is quite scary. The only good thing about this movie is the animation. The storyline was horrible, the plot was horrible, the music wasn't anything to rave and rant about... the characters where paper thin... :S I would have rather seen a movie based on a FFVII-X game. ^^;

The Muffin Man
1st January 2003, 03:31 PM
I would personally love to see FF6 or 7, hell even 8, as a movie. Preferablly animated, and "anime-style", I guess you'd call it. Like the artists renditions of characters.

That and a Marvel Vs Capcom anime movie. :x Spidey and Megaman kicking the crap out of Venom and Strider Hiryu? Sign me up!

Ninetales3001
2nd January 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
I would personally love to see FF6 or 7, hell even 8, as a movie. Preferablly animated, and "anime-style", I guess you'd call it. Like the artists renditions of characters.

I'd want FFX quality animation, except more realistic like FF:TSW, and 1 hour and 30 mins long. I wouldn't really care what series they base it on, but I would personally enjoy a movie to do with the cast of FFVII, VIII, X or X-2 than the other ones ^^;

Eyedolize
2nd January 2003, 04:21 AM
The movie itself for me was average. The story was to sci-fi, which meant it had nothing to do with the FF games at ALL.
The characters were okay, but the expressions in them weren't detailed, and it I had a hard time telling when one was sad or happy.
The visuals on the other hand, were very good, perhaps the best in any computer generated film.It might've looked realistic, but it can however, represent a future view of how video games may look in the future. Other then that, the music was indeed good, especially the one that you hear during the credits. But set aside the visuals and music, the movie itself wasn't any better. My rating ? It would be a 4.5/10