PDA

View Full Version : YGO Discussion - No room for new cards?

The Muffin Man
22nd July 2003, 08:40 PM
YGO discussion... - So many cards, so little space.
As PGD comes out, a few new staple cards are introduced. Mirage of Nightmare, and Ring of Destruction being 2 of them. The former is not really staple unless you've got MST at 3. But Ring is a VERY nice card and seems to be more or less mandatory. But with Ring, Barrel Behind the Door pops up and says "Hello! Combo!"...So I've come to thinking...what do I do now? Not bother with Barrel? Not bother with Ring?

Other cards in the set that make it tough to remove is Moisture Creature. "But it's a 2 Tribute monster!" But it's 2800. Just 100 below Tyrant Dragon. "But it has to be THREE Tribute for it's effect!" Basically, it's a HFD for one extra tribute. TECHNICALLY that's a special summon as well.

Give your opinions, and if you hate YGO, please, don't bother posting...

Zombie
22nd July 2003, 10:29 PM
I'll be playing Ring of Destruction & possible Helpoemer.

Some of the others I will wait for rulings to be released on.

Last Exile
22nd July 2003, 11:30 PM
I see 12 cards as being useful.

Ring of Destruction - get a quick win when in front or to salvage a draw.

Bysar Shock - Perfect to compliment Injection Fairy Lily or Yata-Garasu.

Don Zaloog - Ideal for discard decks

Rope of Life - Could challenge Call of the Haunted

Guardian Sphinx - Will probably replace Penguin Soldier

Helpoemer - Ideal discard strategy.

Nightmare Wheel - Makes Spellbinding Circle and Massk of the Accursed look weak

Question - Could be a useful Ressurection card

Barrel Behind the Door - Could really negate Magic Cylinder

Mirage of Nightmare - Have an MST ready and it's better than Graceful Charity

Trap of Band Eraser - Same as BBTD

Sasuke Samurai - This guy is a godsend. He will really ****-up Penguin Soldier, Man-Eater Bug, magician of Faith, Cyber Jar, etc. along with any defense monster.

In retrospect, Pharaonic Guardian has its uses. I cans ee 5-6 making their way into my deck, which is more than I can say for legend of Blue Eyes, Legacy of Darkness or Magic Ruler.

Chrisodeo
23rd July 2003, 01:53 PM
I'm just pointing out that the cards posted are not all they're cracked up to be, and pointing out some good things about them. In other words, quick rates.

Ring of Destruction - Well, this is an awesome card. In fact, it's one of the best cards there are.

Byser Shock - A tribute for a 800/600 mon? Merf. Could be useful, seems like just a supercharged Giant Trunade though.

Don Zaloog - Deck and Hand destruction. If you manage to get rid of their entire hand, Don just takes their next 2 cards. Yata's best friend. Only 1400 Atk though.

Rope of Life - Hand advantage and drawing power is the essence of the game. Discarding your hand is never a good idea. Plus, it's only as a result of battle, so no discarding + reborning.

Guardian Sphinx - Defensive wall, not to shabby on offense either. The effect is not a flip effect; it activates when flip summoned. So you have to flip it, as you would with Cyber Jar. Great combo with the next card..

Helpoemer - 2000/1400, bad for a tribute mon. Effect only activates if it's destroyed by battle, which your opponent will never purposely do. Therefore, put it in face-down def. You tribute for a face-down mon, and opponent doesn't know whether it's Guardian Sphinx (they should attack it) or Helpoemer (don't attack it). Much potential.

Nightmare Wheel - Evilness. Great in burner decks, bad in beatdown. Good combo with this is with Lava Golem. Sack two of their mons, give them Golem, equip it with Nightmare Wheel. They take 1500 per turn.

Question - Novelty value. If I know an opponent plays this I'll be checkin their graveyard every turn. Easily countered.

Barrel Behind the Door - Magic Cylinder, Ring of Destruction, I'm not sue but maybe even activation costs (Solemn Judgement?) Another card with great combo value.

Mirage of Nightmare - Hmm. Yeah, MST. For some reason I'd take Reckless Greed over this. Not bad, but not as good as people say it is.

Trap of Band Eraser - I like BBTD better, simply because it can do more damage than this. It does negate an attack and have a useful effect, it's just not for me.

Sasuke Samurai - Yeah. Attack that face-down Helpoemer, then get smashed to all heck when he gets attacked next turn. 500 Atk isn't going to withstand anything; it'll just get him killed and you down 1000+ lp.

And now for my picks. (Besides what's been mentioned)

8-Claws Scorpion - Equip it with FMC or anything with Trample and it's game.

Book of Taiou/Book of Moon - "I get to use my flip effect twice whee!" Seriously, this is deadly with Penguin Soldier and Guardian Sphinx. GS doesn't even need the Book of Moon. Usage of this and Magician of Faith gets you two magics, reviving that precious Raigeki and Monster Reborn.

Dark Designator - Highly underrated imo. "I call.. _____*. Oops, Card Destruction. I know how hard it is to get that back..."
* - Insert Yata/Exodia head/Raigeki/any restricted good card

Secret Pass to the Treasures - A level-3 1000-Atk or less mon can attack directly. Useful with Mhite Magical Hats, Mucus Yolk, and maybe even Lily.

Dark Snake Syndrome - IMO should've been the secret rare over Lava Golem. In 6-7 turns you're guaranteed a win. One of the base cards in the infamous Japanese "Big Bang" deck.

The Muffin Man
23rd July 2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Chrisodeo
I'm just pointing out that the cards posted are not all they're cracked up to be, and pointing out some good things about them. In other words, quick rates.

Ring of Destruction - Well, this is an awesome card. In fact, it's one of the best cards there are.

Byser Shock - A tribute for a 800/600 mon? Merf. Could be useful, seems like just a supercharged Giant Trunade though.
~Yeah it's pretty bad when a Neo could take down a Trib. monster...

Don Zaloog - Deck and Hand destruction. If you manage to get rid of their entire hand, Don just takes their next 2 cards. Yata's best friend. Only 1400 Atk though.
~Not bad though. Pretty good in hand destruction.

Rope of Life - Hand advantage and drawing power is the essence of the game. Discarding your hand is never a good idea. Plus, it's only as a result of battle, so no discarding + reborning.
~Not bad, though.

Guardian Sphinx - Defensive wall, not to shabby on offense either. The effect is not a flip effect; it activates when flip summoned. So you have to flip it, as you would with Cyber Jar. Great combo with the next card..
~Over rated...

Helpoemer - 2000/1400, bad for a tribute mon. Effect only activates if it's destroyed by battle, which your opponent will never purposely do. Therefore, put it in face-down def. You tribute for a face-down mon, and opponent doesn't know whether it's Guardian Sphinx (they should attack it) or Helpoemer (don't attack it). Much potential.
~Or they could attack with Sasuke Samurai if they think it's a Guardian Sphinx, then attack with Kycoo and remove it if it's a Poemer.

Nightmare Wheel - Evilness. Great in burner decks, bad in beatdown. Good combo with this is with Lava Golem. Sack two of their mons, give them Golem, equip it with Nightmare Wheel. They take 1500 per turn.
~Not bad...but it's a trap, so it's not as good as Mask of Accursed, Since Mask can keep Jinzo from attacking.

Question - Novelty value. If I know an opponent plays this I'll be checkin their graveyard every turn. Easily countered.
~Yes, easily countered by being a jerk. It's also easy to counter Exodia by knowing they play Exodia and side-decking Yata and Card Destruction.

Barrel Behind the Door - Magic Cylinder, Ring of Destruction, I'm not sue but maybe even activation costs (Solemn Judgement?) Another card with great combo value.
~Very nice. This is a great card.

Mirage of Nightmare - Hmm. Yeah, MST. For some reason I'd take Reckless Greed over this. Not bad, but not as good as people say it is.
~Meh. Losing 2 Draw Phases CAN be worth it...

Trap of Band Eraser - I like BBTD better, simply because it can do more damage than this. It does negate an attack and have a useful effect, it's just not for me.
~It does NOT prevent battle damage.

Sasuke Samurai - Yeah. Attack that face-down Helpoemer, then get smashed to all heck when he gets attacked next turn. 500 Atk isn't going to withstand anything; it'll just get him killed and you down 1000+ lp.
~Amen...Sasuke Samurai is overrated...

And now for my picks. (Besides what's been mentioned)

8-Claws Scorpion - Equip it with FMC or anything with Trample and it's game.
~Not bad but not that great...

Book of Taiou/Book of Moon - "I get to use my flip effect twice whee!" Seriously, this is deadly with Penguin Soldier and Guardian Sphinx. GS doesn't even need the Book of Moon. Usage of this and Magician of Faith gets you two magics, reviving that precious Raigeki and Monster Reborn.
~*Ahem*Book of the Moon puts it in defense..not face down defense, until the misprint is correct. Sorry. Book of Moon sucks. Taiou isn't bad though.

Dark Designator - Highly underrated imo. "I call.. _____*. Oops, Card Destruction. I know how hard it is to get that back..."
* - Insert Yata/Exodia head/Raigeki/any restricted good card
~This CAN be good..but what if you name the head and then, Oops! They have all 5 pieces! Damn shame.

Secret Pass to the Treasures - A level-3 1000-Atk or less mon can attack directly. Useful with Mhite Magical Hats, Mucus Yolk, and maybe even Lily.
~Maybe even? Only Lily. White Magical Hat is gonna be left wide open, just like Sasuke Samurai.

Dark Snake Syndrome - IMO should've been the secret rare over Lava Golem. In 6-7 turns you're guaranteed a win. One of the base cards in the infamous Japanese "Big Bang" deck.
~Meh. What happens if they use something to stop it for a turn, then deactivate it during your turn? I.E they use Imperial Order. Your turn comes, they use Ultimate Offering to summon Jinzo. IO stops, you lose. Ouch.