PDA

View Full Version : Pokémon from another point of view

Dragon_Claw
24th July 2003, 10:34 AM
Did your opinions about a some Pokémon changed after seeing them in the anime.

My opinions about Ampharos changed. First I never liked Ampharos, judging from the sprites, even tough I have it shining. But then I saw it in the anime, in Brock's arms, and it looked so adorable! It ruled

AKA Pokemon Fan
24th July 2003, 11:13 AM
Well Scizor for one is much better in the anime than in the game. Unlike in the game it is faster than Scyther rather than slower and it can fly!

Opinions on RS Pokemon especially change as we see them in their anime forms. Be it Seviper, Swampert, Combusken, or Sharpedo, all your opinions on their appearances are bound to change when you see them in anime form.

As good as it is in the game I have to say watching the Orange Island's Golduck is what elevated it to among my favorite Water types. Similarly it was Moltres's appearance in the second movie that helped me like it more, as well as the abilities and actions of Mewtwo, Mew, Celebi, Lugia and others.

I liked Flygon and Salamence much more once I saw them flying about in anime form.

Seeing Kingler move about in the anime elevated my liking for it greatly.

Ash's Charizard has contributed to Charizard being one of my all time favorite Pokemon.

I never thought of Umbreon as extremely awesome until seeing Gary's in action.

Heracross's performance in "Wired for Battle" proved to me what a great Bug it is.

And it is through Ken, the carrier Pidgy that I discovered Pidgy's can be among the cutest things on Earth!:yes:

Hanada Tattsu
24th July 2003, 11:24 AM
Very interesting topic, great job!

Well, I used to really hate Lickitung. I thought of it as pointless, stupid, weak, and annoying, especially in the early games. However, once Jessie caught it, and its comedic humor kicked in, I immediatly caught one on my Blue Version and it became one of my first Level 100's.

have a stammer
25th July 2003, 12:43 PM
Good thread, the anime gives more of a face to the pokemon, seeing them move, speak (bark, chirp, etc.) and all around interact is my reason for watching the show.

Well let's see it's hard to remember them all but I'll try to remember big changes in my opinon

Ariados: In the game i saw this as just another bug pokemon, a real throw away, i liked spinarak but it's evolved form never interested me and it's color's left me feeling sick. but in the anime it seemed so alive and fast and a force to be reckoned with (i like fast pokemon) i saw this spider in a whole new light, now Ariados is one of my fav. bug pokemon. 1)shuckle 2)scizor 3)Ariados

Ursaring: In the game this pokes sprite looks irritated, slow, a real lazy bear that hibernates for years and only emerges for a few days. However in the anime this hyper beaming gyarados of the land, seemed unstoppable.

Magmar: looked rather odd in the game, in the anime it was pokemon worthy of Charizard actually getting up to fight having one of the most memorable battles.

Spagghettor
25th July 2003, 04:24 PM
I must be the only person whose opinion of a pokemon got WORSE after seeing it in the show. When I first played the games and saw those Nintendo Power guide things way back a few months before it came out, I kind of liked Pikachus... now it's my least-favorite pokemon of all time.

Light_Togetic
25th July 2003, 04:51 PM
Usually it doesn't change my opinion at all; but, of course, there are a few exceptions.

Wobbuffet: Yeah, I know he's everyone's favorite blue blob, but I absolutely thought that it was the dumbest pokemon ever when I learned of the new G/S pokemon. But after seeing it on the anime, I learned to love it, and, well, it became very cute to me and is now one of my most favorite pokemon. (The comedic aspect of Jessie's Wobbuffet might have had something to do with it ;) ).

It's always the pokemon that I hate when I play the games, but then get to see a funny or cute side to in the anime that changes my opinion. Especially if they're funny. That's how I got to like Mankey also. ^^

Gravy
26th July 2003, 07:12 AM
Treecko: When I first saw this guy, I thought to myself 'God, Sugimori-san is really losing it'. But, after seeing the little guy in his anime form, I realised he wasn't such a bad pokemon at all. He has a great personallity, and is an excellent fighter. And I now realise how great it is to have a non-cute starter pokemon. :yes:

Seviper: Hated this thing as soon as I saw it. Such an odd combination of colors, and those big, red fangs @_@ But, once gain, I grew to love the living inner-tube (as I called it ), because his anime voice is so darn cool. I'm sure anyone else who's seen seviper in action will swiftly agree. I'vecome to love those odd colorings of Seviper, and I now regard him as a sort of abstract art, rather than an inner tube :P

Wobbufett: Yes, thats right. I used to dislike (not hate) Wobba. At first I thought that Wobba was just a quick doodle, so the game could be finished quicker, and it didn't exactly look like the type of pokemon that had any potential, let alone character. But, of course, I was wrong. My first step to making Wobba my 2nd favourite pokemon was all down to his amusing anime persona. And of course, his japanese counter-part sealed the deal. I had to train one. I expected him to be a useless poke, despite his anime performance, but to my amazment, the little blob proved himself more than worthy of place on my team.

Pidgeotto: I'll never really understand why I hated this guy so much. I guess I kinda thought of him as a 'poser' if you will. A pokemon that looked tough,but wasn't. But of course, one again, personallity won me over.

*Murkrow
26th July 2003, 07:32 AM
Lol, for most people, their opinions have changed for the better, hm, looks like me and Spagghettor are the odd ones^_^

Pikachu: Believe it or not, I actually, used to like this thing, when I got Blue, I spent ages searching for one and was really excited when I finally caught one. That was when the early Indigo eps were showing. Then, gradually, Pikachu began to irritate me, what was once so cute was now just annoying, and the fact that it seems to have rules unique to it(it can shock grounds for crying out loud). Now I hate it more than any other Pokémon, it's so uncute, Ash should just get rid of it, replace it with something worthwhile. Heh, its probably telling how if I'm in a bad mood, slaughtering Pikachus in the games helps make me feel better(using a Sneasel-of course)^_^

Magmar: This guy used to be my favourite Pokémon before the GS Pokémon were revealed. Then I saw it in the anime, and just though-what? I hated the animation of it, and it really seemed to ruin how good it was. That and I lost the L73 one on Blue due to Missingno, but I know it was mainly due to the anime, cos the anime thing happened after the game problem.

Hm, I've never really seen any guys in the anime and thought, 'wow' thats excellent. They've always made me dislike/hate them more.
*Shrugs*
Oh well.

Mikey
26th July 2003, 08:59 AM
I thought Wobbuffet was the stupidest and most retarded Pokemon ever. After the anime, seeing how funny and strong it is, it has a place in my team!

Hanada Tattsu
27th July 2003, 10:53 AM
Wobuffet is another one. A Pokemon that only knows four moves is very useless to me, but after seeing its loveable form in the anime, it reserved a spot on my Silver team.

Dr_Omicron
28th July 2003, 09:45 PM
"Heh heh heh."
-Mugsy

Well, Wobbuffet still can only learn four moves, but with the addition of Wynaut, those people at Nintendo did it again--they made a normally-useless move suddenly become very useful--Encore. Charm is still stupid though, unless you don't like to take risks with a Wobbuffet.

Of course, if you didn't like taking gambles, you wouldn't raise a Wobbuffet in the first place...

Anyway, Ash's Butterfree really impressed me, and Lisa's (3rd movie) made it look so powerful. I actually bothered to raise one to level 100, and it can cause a serious dent in an inexperienced trainer's team. But at heart, Butterfree is still a weak Pokémon.

I had almost strated training a Paras. Personally, I had considered it and Parasect ugly and ineffective. On the other hand, its growing on me is probably because "The Problem with Paras" was the very first epiosde of Pokémon I had ever seen.

Simply put, a dull and simple-looking Pokémon like Primeape was made interesting.

And Magnemite was so strange in the cartoon, just floating around and multiplying, that I had to raise a Magneton to level 100! And I never regretted it.

Don't forget about Annie's Ariados in the movie. I was so sick of seeing Koga's in GSC, but they executed the battle scenes in the fifth movie so perfectly with it that it made Bug Pokémon look good again.

Qwilfish is yet another example of a weak Pokémon made into an impressive powerhouse on cel.

A practically Pokédex example of a serious and cold-hearted Pokémon was Piloswine. Then there was Pryce's.

Mantine? Don't get me started on Molly's Mantine vs. Misty's Staryu is the best action scene in the Pokémon anime, period.

Hehehe. Professor Birch sat on Poochyena, what was once IMO the ugliest common Pokémon ever. Uglier than Tentacool.

Rocketboy
28th July 2003, 09:56 PM
Well I usually buy "Beckett Pokemon collecter" and before Johto they all these pictures of the Johto Pokemon And this is what I have to say about it.....SOMEONE GOUGH OUT MY EYES!!!! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!!!! But the anime started and all the pokemon looked better.

Hanada Tattsu
29th July 2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Rocketboy
Well I usually buy "Beckett Pokemon collecter" and before Johto they all these pictures of the Johto Pokemon And this is what I have to say about it.....SOMEONE GOUGH OUT MY EYES!!!! IT BURNS! IT BURNS!!!! But the anime started and all the pokemon looked better.

LOL

Lapras. When I first saw this 'creature' in Blue version, I was seriously scared for life. The Christmas episode didn't help either. But when Ash caught his very own Lapras, it was so cute that it became team member on my Gold.

Gnight
1st August 2003, 03:09 AM
unlike most pokemon fans, i was watching the cartoon LONG before i started playing the games, so there's just a few pokemon i've seen in the game before i've seen in the tv show. my opineons havent changed much about the pokemon after i've seen them in the cartoon.

Chris 2.1
1st August 2003, 10:36 AM
LOADS.....absolutely..............I'd say why but....it's gonna take ages.

Bulbasaur
Piloswine
Houndour
Houndoom
Skarmory (it is much more....fluid than in the games)
Wobbuffet
Victreebel (only in Johto, mind...)
Lickitung
Starmie
Golduck

Thats a FEW...but after ONE screenshot from the latest Japanese episode I love....

SPHEAL AND SEALEO!!!!!!!

^^ I'm a sucker for Pokemon....*sigh*

Animelee
2nd August 2003, 05:22 PM
No matter what GAME FREAK and Creatures throws at me, I'll love it. I love every single Pokemon equally, and will continue to do so for the rest of my life, people.

Even when Wobbuffet and the other commonly-hated Pokemon were revealed, they instantly found a place in my "Favourite Pokemon List".

I dunno, I guess everything about Pokemon is likeable for me. :)

Buddylee
2nd August 2003, 10:55 PM
One pokemon that definitely changed from the game experience to the anime was Mewtwo.

When I first played the game, I didn't think of Mewtwo as anything special. Okay, I knew he was the most powerful pokemon in the game, but that was it. I never really thought of him as any different from the other pokemon.

When he was first revealed in the anime when Giovanni used him, and began to feel a certain respect for Mewtwo. I began to realize that Mewtwo was more than meets the eye.

Then when the first movie hit I knew that Mewtwo was out of the ordinary. I became obsessed with the background story of Mewtwo and Mew too. It was just incredible!!!

Hanada Tattsu
10th August 2003, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, from the new RS Pokemon, I was freaked out by Registeel. :O

Then, when my cousin used him on his Sapphire, I just shelved those thoughts and started to like it. :D

Craig
11th August 2003, 02:00 AM
Pretty much only Aimpon.. I would think "I mean, he has a hand coming out of his butt" but then seeing it on the 3rd movie, woah, its so awesome! :D

Hanada Tattsu
25th August 2003, 05:06 PM
I've always hated Aipom, it was just one of those Pokemon who was dying to have an R/S evolution that's all.

Also, I'm bumping these up for a reason, I'm just checking out if there are any spammers spamming in these topics.

ShockingAlberto
28th August 2003, 08:21 PM
Golduck proved to be one of the strongest Pokemon in my team in G/S/C, but I never used him in R/B/Y. After I saw him in the Orange League using Hyper Beam and surfing waves, I thought he was one of the coolest Pokemon of all time.

Hitmonchan proved much, much cooler looking in the anime than in the game.

-- ShockingAlberto

Hanada Tattsu
28th August 2003, 08:22 PM
Hitmonchan was also one of the Pokemon that really scared me. When I first saw it, I was like "What is this mutated thing wearing a skirt, but then I learned to like it.

AKA Pokemon Fan
29th August 2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ShockingAlberto
Golduck proved to be one of the strongest Pokemon in my team in G/S/C, but I never used him in R/B/Y. After I saw him in the Orange League using Hyper Beam and surfing waves, I thought he was one of the coolest Pokemon of all time.

I agree. I'd never had anything against Golduck but it never really interested me until I saw the one in the Orange Islands in action. The athleticism, beauty, diversity of abilites, and skill of that Golduck were just incredible.:yes:

Hanada Tattsu
29th August 2003, 02:25 PM
Speaking of Golduck, I just wanted to get something cleared up, because I have heard oh so many different explanations for this that it isn't funny anymore. =D

Is Golduck a pure water type, or is it just a water-psychic type? The same goes for Psyduck; I heard that it was water-psychic, but I also heard that it was just belonging to the water category. What is the correct type?

Thank you.

AKA Pokemon Fan
29th August 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Is Golduck a pure water type, or is it just a water-psychic type? The same goes for Psyduck; I heard that it was water-psychic, but I also heard that it was just belonging to the water category. What is the correct type?
Golduck and Psyduck are pure Water types. However, they may as well be part Psyychic as they learn practically all the Psychic type attacks. Their repertoir include Disable, Confusion, Psychic, Psybeam, Future Sight, Psych Up and Calm Mind.

Hanada Tattsu
29th August 2003, 04:02 PM
Okay, I see. Thanks for that little explanation! All right, I'll just refer to them as water and psychic types, mainly because they know their repertoire of psychic moves.

AKA Pokemon Fan
31st August 2003, 08:50 PM
After seeing "Entei at your own Risk," and "Here's Lookin' at You Elekid!" I've got to add Forretress to my list of Pokemon the anime has gotten me to like more. Till I saw it in the anime Forretress seemed so boring to me, but I love to see it use Rapid Spin. It's so cool how in the anime its "tentacle-like" tubes will retract and then the upper and lower halves of its body will snap together so it can spin and ram into its enemy with near invulnerability. Yes indeed, I like Forretress a lot more now.:yes:

Hanada Tattsu
31st August 2003, 08:51 PM
I like Forretress, but is it just me or does its dub voice suck? I mean, its kinda the stereotype "tough" sounding voice, but most people seem to like its voice, so, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. :o

Gravy
1st September 2003, 09:34 AM
To be honest, I don't know why they had to even dub Forretress' voiceover in the first place. I mean, it has the same name in japan as it does in english doesn't it? And its japanese voice (from what I've heard) at least says the first 3 letters of its name. Meh, I dunno....

Hanada Tattsu
1st September 2003, 11:16 PM
Well, the Japanese name of Forretress is Foretosu. Since, in Japanese, the u syllable is hardly ever pronounced, and if it is, it is pronounced ever so slightly, its is pronounced Fore-tos. When it was dubbed into English, the writers didn't make a big difference, and made it Forretress.

True, it's name is not all that different, but knowing the dubbers, anything Japanese must be taken out.

Entropy
2nd September 2003, 06:54 PM
I think the problem is more attuned to the lack of VA's that 4Kids assigns to do the voices of the Pokemon. This is evident myself hearing 100 variants of Richie's voice.

Hanada Tattsu
6th September 2003, 10:37 AM
Variants? The only version of Richie's voice that I have ever heard is that scratchy voice that 4Kids assigns to oh, almost all the male characters of Pokemon except Ash, Brock, Gary, Tracey, and James.